GTA IV PC Benchmarks

Apparently you haven't played the game. its worse than a port. Its buggier, and you can't even adjust the controls. They didn't even bother allowing you to customize your controls exactly how you want them, and the other controls screen is just a picture of a 360 controller. The game is already a piece of shit.

Oh, and it runs like shit on a 4870x2, and it looks worse than consoles.

You can configure the controls, well, the keyboard controls at least through the Custom Mappings menu option. Who uses a console controller on the PC?

I do think it's fairly obvious it is in fact a port. The fact they have the XBOX360 controller layout in the guide, requirement of a Live account, blah blah blah ... it just proves it to me.

However, I'm enjoying it so far. My [email protected] and BFG 8800GT OC aren't haven't any problems that I can tell with the default configuration, which was 1680x1050, Medium Texture, Very High Rendering.

However, I'm enjoying it so far. My [email protected] and BFG 8800GT OC aren't haven't any problems that I can tell with the default configuration, which was 1680x1050, Medium Texture, Very High Rendering.

That sounds about right, could you post numbers by chance?

you sir need to calm down.

something is not right with your system. it probably the 4870X2 and its drivers not liking the game for some reason, give it a week and i bet either new gpu driver or game patch resolves the issues.. 15fps on low is a bug, many people have this game running very well.

I'm assuming that is the issue, but I have yet to see anyone running this game well with reasonably high settings. All I have read are complaints.

You can configure the controls, well, the keyboard controls at least through the Custom Mappings menu option. Who uses a console controller on the PC?

I used poor wording. My control set (not WASD) can not be set in either menu. I use RMB to move forward in my games, and its not even mappable in this POS. Same with left/alt for crouch.

THE GRAPHIC SETTINGS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO IV PC

Most users using current PC hardware as of December 2008 are advised to use medium graphics settings. Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available.

Graphics settings are limited by system resources by default. 256MB video cards force minimum settings by default. If a user bypasses these safety measures using command line arguments and exceeds their system resources, the users gaming experience may be compromised.

Video Mode
Resolution scaling effects water, reflections, shadows, mirrors and the visible viewable distance. The resolution settings relate to the amount of available video memory. At 2560*1600 the game will require 320MB of video memory in addition to all the memory required for content. At 800*600 the game will require 32MB of video memory in addition to the content. Medium resolution settings are recommended for most users as higher settings are only usable if there is available video memory.

Texture Quality
Texture quality affects the visual quality of the content of the game. High setting for textures will require 600MB of video memory at a setting of 21 View Distance in addition to the memory taken by the Video Mode. A medium texture setting is recommended for most users.

Render Quality
Render quality is the texture filter quality used on most things in the world rendering. Most people would know this as anisotropic filtering. Medium settings are recommended for most users and will provide filtering beyond what the console versions can execute.

View Distance
View distance scales the distance in which different objects in the world such as building and cars are seen. Raising this option increases the distance in which high quality objects must be loaded and will increase the memory it requires. Restrictions are established to ensure the game runs optimally for most users. A setting of 22 or more will provide PC users an enhanced experience over the console versions.

Detail Distance
Detail distance scales aspects of the environment that the View Distance setting does not including vegetation, trash and other moveable objects. A setting of 10 would be the equivalent to the performance on a console. This setting has little effect on memory.

Vehicle Density
Vehicle density scales the traffic density of the traffic in the game. It has no effect on the mission vehicles or difficultly of the game, but can have a significant impact on CPU performance

Shadow Density
Shadow Density controls the number of shadows generated for positional lights in exterior environments. These shadows are exclusive to the PC version and can have a major impact on CPU and GPU performance.

Crossfire/SLI
With the latest ATI driver (8-11 series) the game supports crossfire modes (ie. 4870x2)
SLI is currently unsupported. Support will be added through a future game patch as well as an updated Nvidia driver.

NOTE: Background Processes
Certain background processes can have a detrimental effect on system performance when playing GTA IV, especially on systems with minimum required system memory. Users should ensure they disable their Virus scans (especially “on-access” type scans) when running the game to maximize performance.

So technically according to this a setup like this;

Q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz
Geforce 280GTX
4GB Ram
10,000 RPM HD

You should be able to run the game with max settings (minus shadows prolly) with a view density of 40-45 and traffic density of 30-35. I did some math because of the resolution memory requirements for a resolution at 1920x1080.

If anyone wants to take a better shot at it go for it :p

Also the 4870 series has had major issues with the game, the 280GTX seems to be fine.

I do think it's fairly obvious it is in fact a port. The fact they have the XBOX360 controller layout in the guide, requirement of a Live account, blah blah blah ... it just proves it to me.

The only console controller you can use on the PC is the 360. The game already has built in 360 support - so do a lot of other PC games. SHOCKER!!! I believe Crysis has it as well.

This whole conversation reminds me a lot of the kind of talk Crysis brings out. "It's an unoptimized piece of shit!!!", "This game deserves to be pirated!!!!!", etc, etc. We're talking about an extremely large world with what is probably an unprecedented about of data, and you're upset that you can't max it out on your blingity-blang graphics card. Therefore, the game sucks. Your computer is the end-all, be-all of PC gaming. Better call Intel, Nvidia and AMD - it is never, ever going to get better than your personal home PC. Might as well let them know not to waste the effort.

Here's a test - anyone got a high-end pc, a 360 (with GTA IV 360) and a 720p capable tv or monitor? Run it at 720p, and see how far you can crank the settings. Then switch inputs and compare to 360. (Since I got schooled today about how the 360 runs GTAIV at 720p natively, this is as close to apples-to-apples comparison as we're going to get).

Statistics
Average FPS: 34.50
Duration: 37.20 sec
CPU Usage: 96%
System memory usage: 70%
Video memory usage: 90%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 45
Detail Distance: 60

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Video Driver version: 180.48
Audio Adapter: Speakers (ASUS Xonar D2 Audio Device)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

-----------------------------------------------
Statistics
Average FPS: 42.94
Duration: 37.13 sec
CPU Usage: 96%
System memory usage: 67%
Video memory usage: 96%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
View Distance: 45
Detail Distance: 60

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Audio Adapter: Speakers (ASUS Xonar D2 Audio Device)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 3.2 Ghz

** RESERVED **
for

Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

** RESERVED **
for

Q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz (if it get's there on air)

In game the game is usually always above 30fps and is pretty smooth.

PS3 controller as well as the Wiimote work on PC's... :rolleyes:

Officially. Xbox360 is the only console controller officially supported by manufacturer to work on PC. Happy? :p

Anyone know how to turn off the video editor thing? I don't want it running while I'm playing. -Edit- found it! I'm an idiot

Edit: anyone figured out how to turn off graphic settings lock for steam version? i've "probed" the root dir but can't find a cfg file.

Officially. Xbox360 is the only console controller officially supported by manufacturer to work on PC. Happy? :p

Anyone know how to turn off the video editor thing? I don't want it running while I'm playing.

Edit: anyone figured out how to turn off graphic settings for steam version? i've "probed" the root dir but can't find a cfg file.

What do you mean turn off graphic settings?

What do you mean turn off graphic settings?

heh, woops. I meant to say how to turn off the graphic settings locks - it won't let me go higher than medium texture settings. Retail version you can use -norestrictions command line switch but it doesn't work with the steam version.

I'm going to avoid this title until there is Logitech Rumblepad support (great in previous GTA games for vehicle control) and the framerate issues are patched. I won't hold my breath!

Judging by the comments on GTAForum the game is a technical disaster, I'm not willing to pay Rockstar £30 for a poor console port.

Have seen a suggestion by one forum goer that GTA4 might have a broken implementation of v-sync (ala dead space) which is on by default. Turning off vsync using nhancer apparently netted an 10 fps increase in frames using 9800 GTX.

So technically according to this a setup like this;

Q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz
Geforce 280GTX
4GB Ram
10,000 RPM HD

You should be able to run the game with max settings (minus shadows prolly) with a view density of 40-45 and traffic density of 30-35. I did some math because of the resolution memory requirements for a resolution at 1920x1080.

If anyone wants to take a better shot at it go for it :p

Also the 4870 series has had major issues with the game, the 280GTX seems to be fine.

Rig in Sig

Statistics
Average FPS: 47.62
Duration: 37.17 sec
CPU Usage: 78%
System memory usage: 60%
Video memory usage: 97%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
View Distance: 33
Detail Distance: 80

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Have seen a suggestion by one forum goer that GTA4 might have a broken implementation of v-sync (ala dead space) which is on by default. Turning off vsync using nhancer apparently netted an 10 fps increase in frames using 9800 GTX.

How about through NVP? Or just through nHancer?

How about through NVP? Or just through nHancer?

Well the poster stated that he used nHancer, so if I had a copy of GTA4, thats what I would try in order to test his hypothesis.

Edit: pics he posted

settings

gtaivsettingssf6.jpg

v-sync on

gtaivwithvsyncslicg6.jpg

v-sync off

gtaivwithoutvsyncsliuy5.jpg

Apparently you haven't played the game. its worse than a port. Its buggier, and you can't even adjust the controls. They didn't even bother allowing you to customize your controls exactly how you want them, and the other controls screen is just a picture of a 360 controller. The game is already a piece of shit.

Oh, and it runs like shit on a 4870x2, and it looks worse than consoles.

Congrats, you clicked the wrong button. Hit "Custom Mapping" under the mouse settings if you want to reassign the controls manually. What you're looking at are pre-defined control setups for the 360 gamepad, which is a totally different section of the control settings page.

Also, for shits and giggles, everyone try setting the View Distance to 1. I find that the actual visible effect of this in-game is very small; in fact, I'm pretty sure the draw distance is still comparable to the console version at this setting.

Been playing for a few hours with no issues to speak of. From reading all of the topics on bad performance on gtaforums, I was prepared for the worst, but such isn't the case.

The game runs quite smooth on my setup...

Specs:

Asus Rampage Formula
C2Q Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
4gb DDR2 1066
Powercolor 4870 x2
Vista Ultimate x64 sp1

Settings:

1600x1200 (I play on a 19" CRT)

High textures
Highest render quality
42 draw distance
100 detail distance
100 vehicle density
16 shadow density

Basically maxed out except for the draw distance. Kept it low so as not to exceed the available video memory (Going over the resource limit resulted in a RESC10 error after a few minutes of play). The console equivalent is around 21 on this setting, so I'm satisfied with 42.

Game runs at around 45fps avg and looks absolutely amazing, far better than the 360 version.

Christ, if only I could find a place that has the flippin game in stock...

Been playing for a few hours with no issues to speak of. From reading all of the topics on bad performance on gtaforums, I was prepared for the worst, but such isn't the case.

The game runs quite smooth on my setup...

Specs:

Asus Rampage Formula
C2Q Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
4gb DDR2 1066
Powercolor 4870 x2
Vista Ultimate x64 sp1

Settings:

1600x1200 (I play on a 19" CRT)

High textures
Highest render quality
42 draw distance
100 detail distance
100 vehicle density
16 shadow density

Basically maxed out except for the draw distance. Kept it low so as not to exceed the available video memory (Going over the resource limit resulted in a RESC10 error after a few minutes of play). The console equivalent is around 21 on this setting, so I'm satisfied with 42.

Game runs at around 45fps avg and looks absolutely amazing, far better than the 360 version.

Quad core and the best gfx card you can buy. Doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Well, the cpu requirement is definitely legit.

I have a single core A64 4000+ @ 2.54Ghz, 3gb DDR, and a Radeon 4830. I know everyone is going to say this is too old to even check email on or something, but everything else I've played so far has run great at near max settings.

This however, is unplayable at even 800x600 with everything as low as it goes :( I don't think a patch will save me on this one, I guess it's upgrade time.

That's why I'm not playing it now. :(

Other hard hitting titles like Crysis etc. were playable as long as you turned the options down. This is probably the first PC game that honestly requires a dual core.

I found the opposite. Vsync is off by default in my experiences. I had to manually enable it in nVidia control panel to stop the ridiculous amounts of tearing. Also, enable triple buffering if you want to use vsync and maintain framerate.

I ran a whole heap of benchmarks last night on both Vista 64bit & XP 32bit at various settings. XP has a noticibly faster and smoother gameplay experience opposed to Vista. I'm calling shens on the "Enhanced for 64bit" statement on the box. The exes run in 32bit mode.

Has anyone here tried running the game on a 4870 or 4870X2 asides from Dethred? I was gonna pick-up a copy after work however I run 2 X 4870 512mb cards and am afraid it will be unplayable on my 24" lcd.

Mines still downloading from steam, when its done ill post up some numbers.

I'm not complaining, but it is a total CPU pig. It maxes out my E6600 @ 3.4 GHz completely.

lots of people reporting issues with ATi cards, bad performance and such :(

ATi cards are poor with this game, unless you have a top of the range X2. Sadly Nvidia cards don't fair much better, the game is fast becoming a technical laughing stock. .

No support for non Xbox 360 gamepads too, WTH!

By the way, I noticed no performance difference in going from 1680 x 1050 all the way down to 1024 x 768. It still chugged at low resolutions, which leads me to believe this game needs a fast quad core and at least 3gigs of ram to open up that bottleneck. This may be the first true multicore PC title. I don't think dual core is enough.

By the way, I noticed no performance difference in going from 1680 x 1050 all the way down to 1024 x 768. It still chugged at low resolutions, which leads me to believe this game needs a fast quad core and at least 3gigs of ram to open up that bottleneck. This may be the first true multicore PC title. I don't think dual core is enough.

I mean, even on low settings the game should be playable for most PC's.
This is far worse then the whole Crysis deal...

Even at the lowest setting with my sig the game still goes into the teens for no apparent reason.

Stepping outside my apartment gets me from 70's down to 17...
Then I manage to steal a car and drive for about 1/2 mile and it goes back up into the 30's.

The hard fps drops are what is killing it for me.

I mean, even on low settings the game should be playable for most PC's.
This is far worse then the whole Crysis deal...

Even at the lowest setting with my sig the game still goes into the teens for no apparent reason.

Stepping outside my apartment gets me from 70's down to 17...
Then I manage to steal a car and drive for about 1/2 mile and it goes back up into the 30's.

The hard fps drops are what is killing it for me.

Might be beneficial to use FPS limiter. I'll test it out when I get home. For anyone else that wants to see if it helps smooth things out, here is the link.

Well, I got the courage to finally unwrap the box, open it, and install it. (I bought it last night at Gamestop).

There is an error having to do with the Social Club (MMA10 Error), but the easy work-around is to sign-out of the social club, launch the game, alt-tab, and then sign in to the social club.

Anyway... all that said- here are my benchmarks (on the default settings that the game gave me.)

Keep in mind, 1280x1024 is what I WANT to play :) I have a 19" LCD, and 1280x1024 is just fine for me. If it's not for you, I'm sorry- I'm just stating that everything seems to be running fine for me.

ATI 4850 by the way.... and I'm not even running up to date drivers. 8.8 I believe....

Oh, and my Q6600 is clocked to 3.6. I also have 8GB of ram.

Statistics
Average FPS: 46.85
Duration: 37.42 sec
CPU Usage: 63%
System memory usage: 31%
Video memory usage: 67%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (75 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 37

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.603
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM))
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

okay... um......... lol

this game is fucking great.

Nowadays, I believe PC games that are good enough to justify actual purchase are few and far between (my opinion.) Hell, few are even worth the bandwidth.

This game, is worth the price.

I'd say games that are this in depth and large, and games that are very different like Portal are totally worth the money.

The only thing I regret is not opening the box until today!!! lol

Buy this shit if you have the hardware to run it!!!

(oh, and I bought it at the store- not steam. Something about the manuals... the smell of new plastic from the discs.... that's what it's all about. lol)

I couldn't stand GTA 4 on the X360 due to the low framerate... sad to hear the PC version is plagued with the same issues. Guess I'll pass on this one until it hits the bargain bin. The graphics don't even look that great for a PC game, yet even top-end systems are reportedly having huge trouble with it on the minimum-framerate end? NO thanks!

My computer currently is:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
8GB DDR2 RAM @ 400mhz 1:1 5-5-5
GTX 280 1GB
X-Fi XtremeGamer

...etc.

Well it runs great, I just think I am getting .net errors. Reinstalling 1.1-3.5 now.

I am using default settings at 1600x1200, runs pretty smooth so far, until CTD... lol

GoldenTiger: um..... did you even read my two posts above? lol....

Yes, I did... 45FPS average in the benchmark means you are having lots of dips to the teens and low 20's probably during actual gameplay, which are unacceptable framerates to me. I try to keep my games pegged at 60+ FPS minimum or it looks choppy. I don't see anything in your post to show that the game performs well by any means, especially for how it looks.

Back