gtx280 SLI vs 4870X2 Quadfire; Ati wins Fatality!

POPEGOLD

[H]ard|Gawd
I will go out on the LIMB and say that the 4870x2 in quadfire will crush the gtx280 Sli

for about 300 or 400 dollars less....

Steve knows it... Kyle knows it... Anand knows it... they all know it...

Until there is proof, this is all just speculation, just like everything else before the 280's came out.

Please stop posting a statement like its a fact. How would you like if I said 9800GTX vs. 9800PRO. ATI wins again. Then say I know it must be true because so and so said so since it written at a website so that is so.

yeah yeah yeah, and the Roadrunner will beat all of em. whats your point?

would that not be four ATI GPU's required to beat two NV GPU's?....i mean, to keep it factual and in context and all....i would like to see a quad SLI 280 vs. 4870X2 quadfire runoff though, but i bet it only takes tri-sli 280 to get the job done...just speculating, since thats all this thread is anyways

Please stop posting a statement like its a fact. How would you like if I said 9800GTX vs. 9800PRO. ATI wins again. Then say I know it must be true because so and so said so since it written at a website so that is so.

KIND SIR i did not state it as fact... its what i beleive based on what i have seen, read and heard.

are u saying the opposite is true?

KIND SIR i did not state it as fact... its what i beleive based on what i have seen, read and heard.

Your thread title states it as a fact.

Honestly, I'm interested in the SLI numbers of 280 x2 or x3. Odds are no matter the cost of anythign 3x280s will be the fastest graphics soultion period.

My dog just called me at work and told me that ATi will be the best for the next 5 years, because he has good hookups to people who know people at AMD/ATi. So I guess I should go post a thread about it.

Because we all know that scaling past TWO gpus IS EXCELLENT AND TOTALLY EMBRACED BY ALL GAMES!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO.

God so much Nvidia hate today.

As those of us who were reasonable about this generation of cards it pretty obvious that the 4870x2 will at least trade blows with a single GTX 280, it might overall be a little faster. The 280 will probably be better at higher end settings and resolutions with the 32 ROPS.

However were still about two months away from the 4870x2 so any talk of cost is kind of irrelevant. The 280 is going to get a lot cheaper in the coming months so by the time 4870 comes out you will see far more competitive pricing.

But as it stands TODAY, AMD's got nothing. The 4850 will be a nice part but will and in CF might give the 280 a run for its money at lower settings.

why in the living hell do people keep wanting to compare a 9800GX2 and 4870X2 to a single core 280?

why in the living hell do people keep wanting to compare a 9800GX2 and 4870X2 to a single core 280?

I'll say that is a fair comparison. As long as we are comparing cards that are aimed at the same segment then it's ok. All 3 cards are high end parts for each company except the 9800gx2 is last gen. If the 280gtx can't beat a last get card that is cheaper then that's a problem. Same if the 280gtx loses to the 4870x2. In the end the all the cards take up one pci-express slot and use dual slot coolers. People keep saying the 4870x2 will upset the 280GTX. If the 4870X2 comes out cheaper, performs better, same footprint and consumes less power which one would you buy?

Roughly comparable pricepoint?

true....i keep forgetting about that aspect, i am looking purely at performance, people are being critical of the performance of the 280 vs. a 9800GX2 saying the 280 is no good.....and that the 4870X2 might beat it out.....but from a performance standpoint, at least the 9800GX2 vs. 280 comparison is not valid IMO, neither would a 4870X2 IMO....apples to apples guys...unless you are talking about price

What does it matter if they use 2 gpu's or 20? If all the matters is performance, then it should be 1 card vs 1 card, regardless of the amount of gpu's involved.

What does it matter if they use 2 gpu's or 20? If all the matters is performance, then it should be 1 card vs 1 card, regardless of the amount of gpu's involved.

because 2 gpu's on one card is still SLI or Crossfire, they just packed it into one PCB is all....when comparing performance you are typically looking at architecture of the GPU....

so what you are saying is that if they could physically fit 8 GPU's on one card and it whoops up on a single gpu card then that is a perfectly reasonable comparison?...

last time i checked this was not about how many cores you can physically fit on a PCB, it's about who has the superior architecture

same way you dont logically compare a A64 to a A64 X2 in multithreading tasks

i want apples to apples, like here

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_gtx_280_260_performance/page13.asp

here is 280 SLI and even 280 tri-SLI compared to 9800GX2 and such....now....based on the 3XXX series of ATI cards, and how they compare to the 9800's, do you really think the 4XXX X2 or whatever will have a chance against a 280 GX2 or 280 SLI when those setups are beating the 9800 GX2 and even QUAD 9800GTX SLI by such a large margin in most cases?

so what you are saying is that if they could physically fit 8 GPU's on one card and it whoops up on a single gpu card then that is a perfectly reasonable comparison?...

last time i checked this was not about how many cores you can physically fit on a PCB, it's about who has the superior architecture

If they cost the same, why not? I don't think the consumer is interested in how it gets the job done as long as the price is adequate.

If they cost the same, why not? I don't think the consumer is interested in how it gets the job done as long as the price is adequate.

i can only speak for myself, but i am more interested in the actual architecture and how efficient it is, being able to pack more than one core on a PCB is not an accomplishment other than overcoming physical limitations......so if what you say is true the consumer would be okay with a 3 foot long card with 16 GPUs as long as it was cheap enough...???

i mean, supercomputers are neat, but i dont think it's any particular feat to network 100 CPU's together, what's interesting is what each CPU can do

everybody was all over C2D, not because it was the cheapest deal on the block, by far at it's release it was not, but it performed considerably better than the competition, thats what sold it

i can only speak for myself, but i am more interested in the actual architecture and how efficient it is
Speaking for myself, I care only about price/performance. I don't give a quarter of a shit whether it's one gpu, a dozen, or a magic hamster wheel inside the case. I care about the results and getting good value for my money. Just like nobody really cared that the Q6600 wasn't "real" quadcore, and the Phenom was. What mattered was the result, an "inefficient" architecture that kicked ass for a great price.

The thing is we are not comparing 3 foot long cards with 8 or 16 GPU's on it. You're taking it the extreme on that. What we are comparing are cards with 2GPU's that have nearly the same footprint and take up only one pci slot. That's a reasonable comparison to me.

I don't seem to understand what the "apples to apples" statement is all about.

They both put graphics on my screen, i.e. they are both graphics cards. Now if one can do it cheaper (total cost of ownership) and better (better performance). Then I think it is a fair comparison.

Now if you started comparing the 280 to the XFi, well, that is different.

The thing is we are not comparing 3 foot long cards with 8 or 16 GPU's on it. You're taking it the extreme on that. What we are comparing are cards with 2GPU's that have nearly the same footprint and take up only one pci slot. That's a reasonable comparison to me.

the 280 is one GPU on a card, the 9800GX2 and 4870X2 are two GPU's on one card, thats what everybody is trying to compare, and it is only a valid comparison when speaking in terms of price/performance, when looking at performance per GPU the 280 is far from a "flop", "failure", or "refresh", that is apparent when you compare 280 SLI to 9800GX2 or 9800GTX SLI

thats what i mean by apples to apples

Speaking for myself, I care only about price/performance. I don't give a quarter of a shit whether it's one gpu, a dozen, or a magic hamster wheel inside the case. I care about the results and getting good value for my money. Just like nobody really cared that the Q6600 wasn't "real" quadcore, and the Phenom was. What mattered was the result, an "inefficient" architecture that kicked ass for a great price.

while this is not about Phenom, i would like to mention that Phenom pretty much sucks as an architecture and sucks in terms of sales compared to C2D.....great price only goes so far.....it's not a great price anymore if the performance you get is lackluster, cheap only goes so far.....but hey, we are talking about the GTX 280 here, and as an architecture it scales very well, and a 280GX2 vs. a 9800GX2...well....its pretty obvious, the GT200 GPU is far superior

the 280 is one GPU on a card, the 9800GX2 and 4870X2 are two GPU's on one card, thats what everybody is trying to compare, and it is only a valid comparison when speaking in terms of price/performance, when looking at performance per GPU the 280 is far from a "flop", "failure", or "refresh", that is apparent when you compare 280 SLI to 9800GX2 or 9800GTX SLI

thats what i mean by apples to apples

apples to apples is silly... so what if one card is single or dual GPU...its about price/performance. period

what if a 3rd GPU company came out and used 4 small GPU's per card..and it matched a single gtx280 in performance for the same price ...would you discount that because its 4 gpu's VS one

while this is not about Phenom, i would like to mention that Phenom pretty much sucks as an architecture and sucks in terms of sales compared to C2D.....great price only goes so far.....it's not a great price anymore if the performance you get is lackluster, cheap only goes so far.....but hey, we are talking about the GTX 280 here, and as an architecture it scales very well, and a 280GX2 vs. a 9800GX2...well....its pretty obvious, the GT200 GPU is far superior

cheap does only go so far... but the fact remains

if a 4870 costs 329.99 and is within a average of 15 to 20% slower than a 649.99 gtx280

thats an average 17.5% boost in speed for 95% more money...

Ati will slam Nvidia on price performance if thats the case...

ATI pricing model that will make nvidia Shyt

4870X2 499.99
4870 1GB DDR5 339.99
4870 512MB DDR3 299.99
4850 512MB DDR3 199.99
4670 (rebadged 3870) 129.99
4650 (rebadged 3850) 89.99

because 2 gpu's on one card is still SLI or Crossfire, they just packed it into one PCB is all....when comparing performance you are typically looking at architecture of the GPU....

same way you dont logically compare a A64 to a A64 X2 in multithreading tasks

i want apples to apples, like here

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_gtx_280_260_performance/page13.asp

here is 280 SLI and even 280 tri-SLI compared to 9800GX2 and such....now....based on the 3XXX series of ATI cards, and how they compare to the 9800's, do you really think the 4XXX X2 or whatever will have a chance against a 280 GX2 or 280 SLI when those setups are beating the 9800 GX2 and even QUAD 9800GTX SLI by such a large margin in most cases?

Well shit, why stop there? Why should ATI's cards get all those extra SPs? Hell, lets compare one nvidia SP vs. one ATI SP! That way it is TRULY Apples to Apples :rolleyes:

I hope you actually looked at the numbers b/c for the crysis benches they didnt even bother putting in 9800 gx2 sli numbers there; they just compared single 280 vs older gen g92/ g80 cards. BTW gtx 280 didnt do so well with 4aa, af in tomshardware reviews.
Because of the gtx 280s price now I dont think its worth just buying one of the cards, you might as well shell out close to 2G to crush other sli rigs in 2560 by 1600. Otherwise single 280 vs gx2 there is not that much improvement.

cheap does only go so far... but the fact remains

if a 4870 costs 329.99 and is within a average of 15 to 20% slower than a 649.99 gtx280

thats an average 17.5% boost in speed for 95% more money...

Ati will slam Nvidia on price performance if thats the case...

Yeah... If. Good luck with that. There were prerelease rumors that the 280 would be twice as fast as a GX2. (Seriously who the hell believed that crap.)

I'll wait the for the benchmarks. Oh and by the time the 4870x2 is released the 280 will already be die shrunk.

Oh, and I'm going to laugh my ass off if the 4870 comes in at the preformane level of a 9800 GTX. Not because I called that it would, just because of everyone who believes the highest fake 3dmark06 score someone puts out.

I hope you actually looked at the numbers b/c for the crysis benches they didnt even bother putting in 9800 gx2 sli numbers there; they just compared single 280 vs older gen g92/ g80 cards. BTW gtx 280 didnt do so well with 4aa, af in tomshardware reviews.
Because of the gtx 280s price now I dont think its worth just buying one of the cards, you might as well shell out close to 2G to crush other sli rigs in 2560 by 1600. Otherwise single 280 vs gx2 there is not that much improvement.

Tomshardware.com is still using time demos the last time I checked. Which have been proven to give bad results.

I care if its multiple CPU or not, at least from a driver perspective. No SLI or any other driver retardedness.

Tomshardware.com is still using time demos the last time I checked. Which have been proven to give bad results.

Alright Ill agree with that. Tomshardware is rather vague regarding how they tested crysis with the 280, maybe they actually played it, I dont know. But even in [H] review gtx 280 didn't do so well against either 9800gtx sli or gx2 in crysis performance.

Back