[H]OT: M-m-m-m-m-ONSTER KILL! EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition $200 @ buy.com

It's funny the threats people make when pricing mistakes don't get honored.

If you put a typo on your for-sale thread and said $30 for a GTX280 but really meant $300, someone offers to buy it "for your asking price" you possibly not realizing that there was a typo at all, they send you $30 and take screenshots of the thread for proof and threaten to leave bad feedback if you don't send it.

What are you gonna do? Same basic situation except it's a big company vs. a individual sale on a forum. I'd refund the money and say it was a mistake, you can leave all the bad feedback you want, but why should they lose money because someone made a typo? Just cause you wanted to save a few bucks...

It's funny the threats people make when pricing mistakes don't get honored.

If you put a typo on your for-sale thread and said $30 for a GTX280 but really meant $300, someone offers to buy it "for your asking price" you possibly not realizing that there was a typo at all, they send you $30 and take screenshots of the thread for proof and threaten to leave bad feedback if you don't send it.

What are you gonna do? Same basic situation except it's a big company vs. a individual sale on a forum. I'd refund the money and say it was a mistake, you can leave all the bad feedback you want, but why should they lose money because someone made a typo? Just cause you wanted to save a few bucks...

Except this isn't a $300-on-newegg card for $30, this was a $300-on-newegg card for $220. Nobody intended to 'get one over' on buy.com here, we all just thought we found a deal.

Also, buy.com can expect it's resellerratings score to drop to practically zero if they mass cancel all of the gtx 280 orders (not that they probably even care about that).

I think the resellerating system need to be changed. Irrational actions from buyers shouldn't granted the right to leave a feedback or the feedback should be removed.
I meant you can't force buy.com to lose their money by threatening them.., it is like putting your hands in their pockets and take whatever you want from it. Buy.com however should sell us the GTX280s for their net cost(how much buy.com paid to acquire the GTX280) and an apology of course. I think that will be acceptably. but still people won't be happy with it. Buy.com really need to check their price tag more carefully, more part time staff would be great too.

Haha, so wait, they shouldn't lose money, but they should sell it at cost and make zero money (Actually they will lose money because it does cost money to run said business, and does cost money to ship products and pay the people to package/box/ship the products)

I don't think anyone "deserves" anything but a cancellation email and a refund if their card was ever charged.

That is... if this is a price-mistake, and there's a 99% chance it is... otherwise we wouldn't be discussing this and people wouldn't be threatening to "stop buying from buy.com" and shit. I doubt they really care...

well:d of course running a business will cost them money, it is what overheads for.
I meant they could choose not to make money from ppl on this practical item, if people are still not happy about the price. Offer them a full refund friendly and quickly. Maybe a little bit something like a 5 bucks off next time coupon. That will atleast show everyone that they do care about customers and they are really sorry for the unfortunate mistake they made. But yeah Buy.com does need to keep a closer eye on their price tag... or put a sign stating that "if you believe the listing price is a price error please call our customer service before you place your order. We reserve the right to cancel any orders that is obviously a price mistake." that would certainly help. Atleast works for me.

I guess someone needs to maintain a retailer-cost master index. If anyone sees a product for $0.10 under that price, they could just ignore it since online retailers are exempt from laws designed to protect consumers.

Funny how these threads here and on SD always turn into schadenfreude-parties for the people that missed the deal.

while all this speculation is great for fun and games, why don't we all just wait until monday to find out if our purchases ship or not?

What's one of the highest overclocked versions of the GTX 280?

The XFX GTX 280 XXX Edition? Isn't it actually the highest one, that used to sell for $500+?

Buy.com sold it for $263? They didn't recall it back as any sort of mistake?

Hmm, gives me a little hope on the EVGA SSC edition.

Monday it is.

Funny how these threads here and on SD always turn into schadenfreude-parties for the people that missed the deal.

If the deal is getting a cancellation email, then yea I missed out. But I saw this thread before the first reply was even there, and could have easily ordered one... but it's a waste of time... so why bother?

I guess we are all going to Church tomorrow and pray for the card. Hopefully, it will show up in the near future:) For the latest card I bought from buy.com! Oh lord here is my prayer!:)

Qty: 1 Price: $210.99
Usually ships in 1 to 2 days
In the shipping process

Ordered the SCC slightly before this thread was created. Hoping for the deal to go through. This will be the longest Sunday ever in [H]otDEALS history, lol. :eek:

If the deal is getting a cancellation email, then yea I missed out. But I saw this thread before the first reply was even there, and could have easily ordered one... but it's a waste of time... so why bother?

I have seen some price mistakes shipped. I remember dell sent out some 2005wfp for $160 a few years back. It really doesn't hurt to order. If they ship, I get a cheap product, if they cancel the order I get the credit card refunded and forget about it the next week. It takes less than 30 seconds to place the order so there really isn't much risk.

I really wouldn't fault a company for making a price mistake. Even highly regarded sites make mistakes like Amazon, so it really isn't that big of issue. That said, I don't think I have ever seen Newegg make a price mistake, which is surprising with how much they have for sale and how many people watch the site.

That said, I don't think I have ever seen Newegg make a price mistake, which is surprising with how much they have for sale and how many people watch the site.
That's because all their mistakes are in their product descriptions :rolleyes:.

$220 is not too far off from $290, which ZZF was selling them for last week.

Every card was priced at $220 to $250 before rebates. With the release of the 295 and the soon release of the 285, I'm not surprised at all to see the prices dropping.

Newegg had the 4850 X2 at $290 for one day, then $260 the next day , a day later it's up to $299. Just a week before that it was $340+ for months.

Buy.com had the i7 920 for $260 for a week, now it's up to $305

We should all get our orders. :)

Finally some optimism, thank you MagicMan84. Regardless of what happens, at least we can have faith in these trying times. Even if it doesn't work out, I bet GTX 280s pricing is only going to get better.

No problem [H]adouken !

Newegg has just dropped their price on the BFG Tech to $285 after rebate. Two days ago the cheapest 280 GTX was $305 on their site ... A $20 price drop every 48 hours would be a nice trend in case anyone missed out on the 280's that we're all gonna get from buy.com :)

I truly believe the reason they are canceling orders is because their computer system probably went nutso after the increase in traffic and was still letting people buy them even after they were sold out. So to those who got in on the deal fairly early (around 1AM Pacific), you will probably get it.

I'm one of them. I ordered 2 of the SSCs.

I truly believe the reason they are canceling orders is because their computer system probably went nutso after the increase in traffic and was still letting people buy them even after they were sold out. So to those who got in on the deal fairly early (around 1AM Pacific), you will probably get it.

I'm one of them. I ordered 2 of the SSCs.

Yeah I agree. I bought mine at 3AM PST and even payed 8 dollars more for upgraded shipping. I really hope we don't get shafted.

Are your orders "In the shipping process" ?

I'm wondering if anyone who got their order canceled, apparently no one from this forum, ever had the shipping process displayed, or canceled before it got to that step.

Yeah a couple of us have orders in the shipping process, we'll find out if it means any good in a day or two.

mine says in the shipping process as well. i also order right before 3am pacific time. if this falls through, this is a deal.

Following this thread and the 2 threads on SlickDeals, there have been a few people (Less than 5) reporting cancellations.
However none of them posted proof, and they haven't replied back to the threads yet.

Looks like we won't know anything until Monday...

They actually do come sometimes... why else do you think people bother?

XPB had the deal posted as "expiring on 1/15" and they are usually very accurate in knowing when a deal is scheduled to expire. They've never been wrong in my experience.

Apparently, too many people pulled the trigger at the same time for this deal, and that is probably why some late orders might (no proof yet) have been canceled and why the "not sold on buy.com" message is displayed.

So far, we have one veteran member claiming his order was canceled, but his order never displayed "In the shipping process". Hopefully, everyone who has "In the shipping process" displayed will all get their orders.

But yeah Buy.com does need to keep a closer eye on their price tag... or put a sign stating that "if you believe the listing price is a price error please call our customer service before you place your order. We reserve the right to cancel any orders that is obviously a price mistake." that would certainly help. Atleast works for me.

You mean something like item 9 in their Terms and Conditions?

9. No Responsibility To Sell Mispriced Products Or Services. Buy.com shall have the right to refuse or cancel any orders placed for products and/or services listed at an incorrect price, rebate or refund, or containing any other incorrect information or typographical errors. Buy.com shall have the right to refuse or cancel any such orders whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged. If your credit card has already been charged for the purchase and your order is canceled, Buy.com shall immediately issue a credit to your credit card account in the amount of the charge.

Mine said "In the shipping process" yesterday, now this morning it says "sent to warehouse". :confused:

Mine said "In the shipping process" yesterday, now this morning it says "sent to warehouse". :confused:

I'm no buy.com expert, but I think that's a good thing. :)

It means your item is being prepared to be mailed out on Monday, most likely.

Back