[H] users SLi guide

Well - none of you are missing anything... all I got was a fan grill and a poster... not too much to write home about. ;)

revenant said:
Well - none of you are missing anything... all I got was a fan grill and a poster... not too much to write home about. ;)
Yeah, it's no big deal

hi revenant again me ;)
i have the gskill :D
i set the timings and speed manual in bios but xp dont showme real speed only 200mz
now installa xp in raid 0 :D more later back and setup the machine fine

cya and thx

Well - in short - to OC your memory and -not- the cpu, you need to increase the speed of your front side bus (FSB) and keep the memory speed at 1:1 with the FSB (it might say 200/200 for 1:1), then lower your HTT multiplier, so it does not push the hyper-transport bus over 1000mhz and also lower your cpu multiplier so you don't push your cpu frequency too high.. so hopefully you can get your FSB to 250 with the memory @ 1:1 ratio which will push the memory to it's default rated speed of 250 (or pc4000, ddr500, what-have-you)... the details on doing all of this are covered in these threads:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=795444

and if that one leaves you with some unknowns, check this out also: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=139322

I have heard of people hitting 275mhz with those memory modules, so yours may go quite a but higher than 250mhz.. but you should not go too far too fast... overclocking is sort of an process, and you should take small steps at first, at least until you know your hardware + bios better, so you don't set something which makes your machine not post.. or worse, fry something.. granted the risk of that is low, but it's there. You want to make sure you know how to reset your CMOS (bios) in the event something you set does cause post to hang... so be familiar with that... I am just saying this so you know the risks and are aware of how to recover your machine if something you set in the bios causes it to hang during post (power on stall/lockup).

Anyways.. read those and get familliar with what you're going to do.. which is OC the memory, not the processor... so you want to push the FSB up while keeping the HTT and CPU around the same place they are now, and in pushing the FSB, you will OC the memory as long as you keep the ratio at 1:1.

ok reve thx again, a question about the nvmonitor i s red the speed memory y correct???

i scary jeje

Hi - yeah - looks like you got it right! I bet having 2gb will help with a lot of new games... they're getting very big and need lots of memory. :)

revenant said:
Hi - yeah - looks like you got it right! I bet having 2gb will help with a lot of new games... they're getting very big and need lots of memory. :)
thx

Load balancing question here:

After reinstalling my OS (problem unrelated to video) and getting all the SLI settings taken care of, I enabled load balancing and played a game of BF2. I've heard about the green horizontal line separating the screen, showing what each card is rendering, but I only see a green column on the left of the screen that occasionally collapses and expands vertically.

Does that signify that SLI is truely functional? The only time I've seen a horizontal green line during play is when enabling SLI AA, but in that case the line remained static.

Right... what you're seeing is the normal load balancing line for AFR, alternate frame rendering.. you were thinking of, or expecting rather, was the load balancing line for SFR, split frame rendering.. where the screen is split into two parts and each card renders one part.. the green line shows the seperation point.. with AFR, which the chosen in the SLI profile for the game, each card renders every other whole frame, so the load balancing line behaves differently to show the work load of that rendering method... does make sense?

I've been trying to tack down an issue with my 7900GT SLI configuration... when I play any games with both cards in, I have lines that go across my screen and a lot of distortion.

PSU: PCP&C 510w SLI
Motherboard: A8N32SLI DLX
2x XFX 7900GT

I've tried reducing my power consumption as much as possible (no case fans, only 1 hd and 1 cd-rom) but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Each video card by itself works perfectly fine, but when both are installed I get the distortion.

Both cards have the power connected to them and the motherboard has the molex connecter on it. I've tried flipping the SLI connecter around to no avail. I'm also using the latest WHQL drivers.

Is there anything that I'm missing? Is my PSU not powerful enough? Do I need to go out and buy another SLI connecter?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

RexPokinghorn said:
I've been trying to tack down an issue with my 7900GT SLI configuration... when I play any games with both cards in, I have lines that go across my screen and a lot of distortion.

PSU: PCP&C 510w SLI
Motherboard: A8N32SLI DLX
2x XFX 7900GT

I've tried reducing my power consumption as much as possible (no case fans, only 1 hd and 1 cd-rom) but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Each video card by itself works perfectly fine, but when both are installed I get the distortion.

Both cards have the power connected to them and the motherboard has the molex connecter on it. I've tried flipping the SLI connecter around to no avail. I'm also using the latest WHQL drivers.

Is there anything that I'm missing? Is my PSU not powerful enough? Do I need to go out and buy another SLI connecter?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

uncheck the GPU load balancing in nvidia control panel (sli multi-gpu)

Can you take a pic of it? seems like it might be artifacting of some kind.. not sure right off the bat, but just a guess.. I'd need to see a pic tho..

revenant said:
Can you take a pic of it? seems like it might be artifacting of some kind.. not sure right off the bat, but just a guess.. I'd need to see a pic tho..
Ah, sorry - forgot to post updates here.

It ended up being my motherboard :eek: (A8N32 SLI Deluxe). The NB to SB settings were off which caused the video corruption in SLI.

Hey everyone.

I just wanted to post a note. I had been having some issues for a long time. My monitor would always go black and I would get the message, "frequency over range". I tried everything I could. I ran different refresh rates, different resoloutions, no overclocking, different Forceware drivers, different driver settings, different monitor. You name it, I tried it.

I had 2 EVGA 7800GTX KO's when the problem started. I used the step up program and got 2 EVGA 7800GTX 512's. Still had the problem.

I searched every forum and googled my butt off trying to find the problem and was nearing the point of insanity.

I have a DFI Expert mobo. I had posted about my problem in that forum but no replies. Last week my brother was looking through it and found somebody with the same problem described to the tee.

So it turns out, I had flashed my mobo bios to the newest version (12-07-05). The person on the DFI site said he went back to the original bios (11-02-05) and the problem went away.

I flashed my mobo back to the original bios and I have not had any issues since. :D

Hopefully this post may help somebody with the same problem.

Hey I was just wondering whether it'd b faster to go sli w/ evga 6800gs or just skip ahead to like one good card like a 7900gt in terms of gaming, not benchmarking.

themanwithnoname said:
Hey I was just wondering whether it'd b faster to go sli w/ evga 6800gs or just skip ahead to like one good card like a 7900gt in terms of gaming, not benchmarking.

single 79gt would be faster

o wow alright. looks like i'll b upgrading my 6800gs to a 7900gt through evga step up program then :D

only costs me $102 muahaha.

but then again, they told me i was #1 on queue like 2 months ago. LOL am i still legible?

I figure you should still be.. but you might not be #1 any more. Seems to be taking about two weeks to a month for eVGA to get peeps their new cards...

Oh - yes, load temps.. those are very rough guidelines.. I think I am going to have to edit those because some peeps (myself included) are getting very good temps with air cooling on their 7900 series cards with the vf900 and even the vf700 zalman coolers.. oh and one other cooler which I can remember now.. doh! been in Belize for 10 days.. gotta kick-start the noodle now. lol.

revenant said:
Oh - yes, load temps.. those are very rough guidelines.. I think I am going to have to edit those because some peeps (myself included) are getting very good temps with air cooling on their 7900 series cards with the vf900 and even the vf700 zalman coolers.. oh and one other cooler which I can remember now.. doh! been in Belize for 10 days.. gotta kick-start the noodle now. lol.

i have 7800 gtx 512mb cards and the fans are the loudest in my case .. how is the vf900s ? alot quieter ? and how are temps ?

I have the vf700s and they are almost dead silent on 12v mode (full speed). I have my cards vmodded on the cores to 1.4v and the idle temps are 38c, load temps hit 50c (when the ambient is around 22c).

revenant said:
I have the vf700s and they are almost dead silent on 12v mode (full speed). I have my cards vmodded on the cores to 1.4v and the idle temps are 38c, load temps hit 50c (when the ambient is around 22c).

on ue 7900gtxs ??

im temped to put the vf900s on my 7800 gtxs

Oh - no, I have 7900GTs.. but they're vmodded to 1.4v, which gets them closer to GTX heat levels on the core. :)

I have a 7800gtx 512mb and a 7800gtx 256mb video cards, on an asus a8n-sli mobo, using the latest bios. I'm using the latest Forceware rev 90 drivers with the new nvidia control panel interface.

My problem is that while the control panel and drivers show that my system is SLI capable, it won't let me enable it. Every time i click the radio button to enable SLI rendering mode, and hit apply, the settings just revert back to non-SLI mode. With the old display property menu, I could check the enable SLI box, and SLI wouldn't really be enabled, since my dual screen setup still worked, and the load balancing stuff never appears in 3dMark (plus i get no score improvement).

Nvidia's website indicates that if i pair a 512mb 7800 with 256mb 7800, I can get them to work by enabling Coolbits. I've tried using values of 8, 18, and 1A in the registry under Coolbits, but none of these lowers my 512mb card to the 256mb level. Anyone else have this problem, or any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the memory difference between the cards :/

PCG_Norman said:
I have a 7800gtx 512mb and a 7800gtx 256mb video cards, on an asus a8n-sli mobo, using the latest bios. I'm using the latest Forceware rev 90 drivers with the new nvidia control panel interface.

My problem is that while the control panel and drivers show that my system is SLI capable, it won't let me enable it. Every time i click the radio button to enable SLI rendering mode, and hit apply, the settings just revert back to non-SLI mode. With the old display property menu, I could check the enable SLI box, and SLI wouldn't really be enabled, since my dual screen setup still worked, and the load balancing stuff never appears in 3dMark (plus i get no score improvement).

Nvidia's website indicates that if i pair a 512mb 7800 with 256mb 7800, I can get them to work by enabling Coolbits. I've tried using values of 8, 18, and 1A in the registry under Coolbits, but none of these lowers my 512mb card to the 256mb level. Anyone else have this problem, or any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the memory difference between the cards :/
check option sli enable in bios
interchanges video cards on pcie
1 to 2 and 2 to 1

sli is enabled in bios already.

how do i interchange pcie? i tried physically swapping the cards so that the 256mb one is in the "primary" slot, but that didn't help.

jetjaguar said:
hmm never knew you could run the 512mb with a 256 mb in sli

QFT.
You indeed can't do that... yet.

Norman, you're having this issue because the two cards you have are incompatible for SLI. You can't mix and match cards with different memory sizes. Well, not yet at least.. maybe some day. Nvidia had said that eventually you might be able to mix and match different models and memory sizes of their cards one day.. but that's not any time soon I reckon. The only thing you can mix is the same exact model card from different manufacturers. Plus, the 7800GTX 512mb is a pretty different card than the 7800GTX 256.. physcially. Different pcb, layout, voltages, bios, etc.. it's a full on different model card. That is why you can't enable SLI.. I am surprized your machine doesn't lock up when you try and enable SLI.. I guess the drivers are at least that smart. Sorry to deliver bad news.. try and sell the 7800GTX 256 and buy another 512mb model for SLI goodness. :)

Back