HD 4870 Fan-Control, Easy Workaround, Lowered My Temps 30C

Think I need to improve my airflow. I had it set to 40% manual and it was getting up to 80C again in furmark. Nothing close to the other temps.

Is it safe to overclock with overdrive on the stock cooling you think?

Yes.
You just may need to increase the fan speed.
Also, at this point RivaTuner 2.11 has ben released and will, when adapted correctly automatically control your fans at this point.

Check out this thread, it's very well done:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1345181

Yes.
You just may need to increase the fan speed.
Also, at this point RivaTuner 2.11 has ben released and will, when adapted correctly automatically control your fans at this point.

Check out this thread, it's very well done:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1345181

Thanks. I noticed that furmark really hammers the card. Normally gaming doesn't push as hard and the 35% works very well and quiet.

Hey

Does this Hack work with 4870X2. I have changed what was instructed in the xml. profile but nothing seems to happen??

ANy help please

Hey

Does this Hack work with 4870X2. I have changed what was instructed in the xml. profile but nothing seems to happen??

ANy help please

Yes it works very well with the X2.
Common problems:
make sure you have enabled Overdrive and activate a profile.
follow the correct pathway for your OS and find the .XML file for your new profile.

The X2 will have two sets of everything, but only one fan.
You need to find the algorithm lines that contain a fan duty cycle % and a fan speed in RPMs.
That is the line you change.
The lines in the other chip that are not assigned the above will not control the fan.

In other words, your code in the .XML file will contain nearly indentical lines for "Core 0" and "Core 1"......except one or the other will have actual numbers in the duty cycle % and fan RPM, the other core will not.......again, because there is only one fan.

Adjust the numbers,save,exit out. Quit the CCC and restart it by Rt click on the tray icon.
Open the "active profile" line and click on your fan profile and the cards fan should ramp up.

Fantasic Magoo.

I have it sorted now and have a few profiles set up and working a charm.. Thanks for you help:D

My pleasure.
When Catalyst 8.10 comes out, there will be a slider in the Overdrive window that will allow us to manually control the fan without all the editing.

But, once you get the hang of it the .XML editing is straightforward.

Sorry one last thing I have noticed. In one of my profiles i changed the clocks to the rated speeds (780/900) so I think both should run at thier rated 750/900 all the time (ie does not slow done to 2d speeds)

I thought this worked ok. However once I look in the Sensor tab it shows the second core running at the 750/900 but the first one running at 750/500?? I have also monitored it in games and that does not ramp up to the 900 that it should.

So Basically is there a way you can get the card running at its rated speeds (750/900) all the time??

Well the new Cats have manual fan control sliders, yet I am not seeing a way to make a profile that will boost fan speed underload? Anyone?

Wow, these card seems to really hot. Well, i just finished building my new computer, and i got the HIS 4870 IceQ+ Turbo, and from the sounds of it, i m not sure what temperature im running at. Heres the information.

The only "temp monitoring" software that i have at the moment is CPU-Z and GPU-Z.
Now, in GPU-Z i get temperatures from 46- 52 max after playing a good 3-4 hours of Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, is this good or bad? Is GPU-Z a good way to monitor your temperature of your GPU or should i DL everest and see what that reads? Thanks for you time.

Additional Information;

Catalyst 9.2 from the HIS website

Sounds pretty good, if it's accurate... Sounds kinda lower than the norm, even for the cooler running cards. Don't the newest drivers read the temperature themselves?

Back