help me with a new build

You're thinking of the different rendering modes. There's AFR, weighted sharing (or something like that), SSR... I can't recall them all or what they're referred to as. End result is, you share the rendering load between two cards and get a performance boost.

How great a boost varies widely -- anywhere from around 70% to 30%. Very rarely is it actually "twice as fast" as a single card, but that's not the point. SLI and CrossfireX are only really worthwhile on extremely high resolution (1920x1200+) screens where a single card just isn't enough to maintain high settings and reasonable framerates.

If you're only looking at 20" and 22" displays, which tend to be 1600x1200 for standard aspect or 1650x1080 for widescreen, you really don't need to worry about SLI or CrossfireX, as they probably aren't worthwhile for you. A single card should do just fine at that resolution.

It's worth noting that SLI and CrossfireX require compatible motherboards with a couple of exceptions. There's the Geforce 7950GX2 from Nvidia for a past example. Upcoming cards like the Radeon HD 3870X2 and Nvidia's 9800GX2 won't require SLI or Crossfire capable boards because they are CrossfireX and SLI "on a card", respectively.

I have read somewhere that the 3870X2 will handle the crossfire scaling within the card. I think this will work on any x16 PCI express slot, whether you have crossfire or not. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I have read somewhere that the 3870X2 will handle the crossfire scaling within the card. I think this will work on any x16 PCI express slot, whether you have crossfire or not. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yep. That's what I said in the last section of the above quote. ;)

your killing me. I can't get that card quite yet

If you haven't decided on a card yet, you can always hold off until nVidia's new offerings come out. Supposedly the new 9600 will outperform the 8800GTS 320 and will retail for like $160??? And don't mention the 9800 series.... If anything, prices will come down when the new architecture comes out. Don't worry about rushing things. Right now the best bang for your buck in the midrange is the 8800GT hands down. In the high end, the 3780X2 is great, and some retailers (not yet newegg) have offered prices even lower than $450 from what I've seen in the hot deals section.

Okay the build is all done finally this weekend I'll get to all the details later and such with that. Didn't get a chance to take any pictures this weekend. But I was curious of any applications and/or programs that might help me out with this new "Vista" I have the on board graphics and that thing SUCKS! I'm cure my 3dmark will be horrible but anything else I can run to test the speed and power and maybe compare this computer with others?

Okay some details from the weekend. I got everything up and running plugged in and everything and needless to say I was a little frustrated when it called for a USB keyboard, while I currently had a PS2 one. Had to wait another day but no big deal.
Went to work the next day got a spliter for the two computers and also got a new USB keyboard. Everything is working great until I try to install Vista. For some reason its not seeing the hard drive at all. Wait till the next day to take it to my geeks at best buy. It was late and I didn't feel like messing with it.
Took it to work and it ended up being the power cable to the hard drive came loose. Thank god nothing serious. So I installed Vista no problem but MAN my graphics are hurting. My Vista rank is a

My plan is to run PCmark on it and see where I stand on a few items.

Do you guys any other programs I can try out and see where I stand against the competition? I mean I know I'm limited with onboard graphics.

So far I ran PC Vantage this morning with a score of 3981, not too shabby I think but heck who knows!?

So far I ran PC Vantage this morning with a score of 3981, not too shabby I think but heck who knows!?

That's probably all cpu, baby!! Woot! Anyhoo, most dedicated graphics cards will thrash any onboard. Don't plan on any gaming yet, do you? ;)

That's probably all cpu, baby!! Woot! Anyhoo, most dedicated graphics cards will thrash any onboard. Don't plan on any gaming yet, do you? ;)

I want to do some gaming but don't have the budget to be buying games or a video card right now. Money could be used to something a lot better, food student loans, etc.

Okay ran 3dmark03, to compare what I had on my previous computer. My older Dell got a score of 831 with Gefore FX5200 graphics card. Now my new machine with onboard graphics came with a 2058. Not too shabby for all processor to do the video. Man I can't wait to get a graphics card!!

Okay ran 3dmark03, to compare what I had on my previous computer. My older Dell got a score of 831 with Gefore FX5200 graphics card. Now my new machine with onboard graphics came with a 2058. Not too shabby for all processor to do the video. Man I can't wait to get a graphics card!!

All CPU, baby.... lolz.

Made another step to a better computer last night. With again my tight budget I was able to pick up the ATI 2600 Pro for quite a deal.

Same model as this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129093

I got it for 52.99 with tax. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. I ran 3dmark last night and was able to churn out a ( I guess decent) 3,377.

Am I taking a step in the right direction at all?

If you are still using the Dell 17" monitor, the 2600Pro is a good stopgap.

What does the rest of your current build look like?

yes I'm still using the Dell 17" screen and pretty much all of the specks are in the "current" machine in my sig. The DOA dell is at home awaiting some surgery.

Back