HFM.NET - Client Monitoring Application for Folding@Home

Harlam357 - Thanks for the detailed troubleshooting explanation. That was exactly my problem - time on the VMs was wrong, setting system clocks properly and then slightly adjusting the time offset solved my problem immediately.

I do believe that others will run into this problem, but I imagine you'll have an explanation on your wiki or in the readme to address this.

Now I have no use for FAHspy - Thanks for this sweet tool!

New Version: 0.2.1 - Build 23 - Beta - Download

- md5: 21e8e4690bf1960f21737ba9858b8772

- sha1: c2c52c12e257052906ada6a026dc61671561a8dd

Change Log

• Enhancement: Major upgrade to the HTML Summary page. Now outputs a table with the same columns as the main HFM UI including the proper status color.
  • Enhancement: Add Mobile Overview (mobile.html) and Mobile Summary (mobilesummary.html) Web Generation.
  • Enhancement: Allow website to be uploaded via FTP when a FTP style URL is input as the Target Folder (i.e. ftp://username:p[email protected]/FolderName/).
  • Enhancement: Added ToolTip for the Status column that shows the text representation of the current Status.
  • Enhancement: Added check of Username and Team vs. the configured Username and Team (will show Orange with ToolTip if incorrect).
  • Enhancement: Added Preferences setting to control how many decimals are shown in PPD calculations (0 to 5 decimal places).

• Change: Add the user input processor MHz as a column.
  • Change: Remove the Team column and Combine it with the Username column (will require you to reset your column widths).
  • Change: Reference the correct casing of the CSS files, and add code to make sure previous versions of HFM will still find the right CSS selection... however, to "fix" the entry in the Preferences the user will need to accept the Preferences Form after upgrading. This change for the casing is necessary to support running on Mono in a Linux environment.

• Fix: Preferences Dialog - add code to allow only digits to be input in either Minutes field, the EOC ID, Team Number, or Proxy Port field.
  • Fix: Bug that caused the main grid Sort Order to be lost after minimizing the main UI window.
  • Fix: Web Generation code now wrapped in try/catch, if the web generation would fail the timers would not be reset and thus HFM would stop refreshing the client data.

• Suggested Setting (Linux): Try "xdg-open" for logfile viewer and file explorer.

Upgrading HFM to the latest release

• When upgrading HFM, please take the new Zip file and extract it to the same location as your current install and overwrite the older files.

• The user settings are tied to the location of the HFM.exe file. So if you move or otherwise rename any directory in the path to the HFM.exe file, you will lose your custom settings. Please choose your install location wisely, I recommend a very generic folder name like "\Program Files\HFM". Settings will also not follow the application from machine to machine. It is possible to transfer them and I will post instructions on how to do so at a later time.

Donate to the HFM.NET Project with PayPal

Hey... Hey... Hey... New Build. Mostly focusing on some Web Generation improvements and Mono Support. Although there are still issues, there really isn't a major show stopper halting HFM from running on Linux under the Mono Runtime. Please see the issues list on the HFM Google Code page for things I'm already aware of. In other words, you can use the distributed v0.2.1.23 binaries directly on Linux, should be no need to recompile. Otherwise, the Web Generated Summary Page has been beefed up to present all the data available in the main UI in addition to adding special pages for mobile browsers.

Thank you again to the following people who have donated to the HFM.NET Project (no particular order)

• David Fonda
  • Michael Obermeier
  • moltenrain
  • David Dory
  • George Stephen
  • Zachary Glazer
  • Jason Farque
  • Michael Metcalf
  • Charles Richards

New Version: 0.2.2 - Build 28 - Beta - Download

- md5: 11c4be2423fb4119fd1ee43c538c2640

- sha1: d1cb4e94f3ecba03d85c7d5f9fbfc6526ce15839

Change Log

• Enhancement: Add User Stats Data Display from EOC XML along with option to enable or disable the display.
  • Enhancement: HTML Summary - User Name cells as Orange background when User Name does not match the User Name configured in the Preferences.
  • Enhancement: Added five new style sheets for more Website color options.
  • Enhancement: Conversation time of HTML Upload via FTP is now being logged (Info Level).

• Change: Each HTML page now has a link to the HFM.NET Google Code page. Using alternating colors on Overview page.
  • Change: Small tweak to the LogParser.cs when CheckForProjectID() writes the warning message "Failed to parse the Project (R/C/G) values from '{0}'" generated by SetProjectID(). There was no indication of which client log failed the parse and what value generated the warning.
  • Change: Protein Information on the Benchmarks Form now in text boxes (just aesthetics). Fix the spelling of "Preferred" on the Benchmarks Form.
  • Change: All Forms are now being set with DoubleBuffered = true in an attempt to further alleviate UI lag issues.

• Fix: Grid columns not appearing in default order on some users systems. Manually create the columns and bind. Allows column headers to be labeled in a more visually friendly manner (i.e. they can have spaces now).

• When upgrading HFM, please take the new Zip file and extract it to the same location as your current install and overwrite the older files.

• The user settings are tied to the location of the HFM.exe file. So if you move or otherwise rename any directory in the path to the HFM.exe file, you will lose your custom settings. Please choose your install location wisely, I recommend a very generic folder name like "\Program Files\HFM". Settings will also not follow the application from machine to machine. It is possible to transfer them and I will post instructions on how to do so at a later time.

HFM.NET - 4th of July Edition. :D Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th! The main feature addition here is the EOC Stats display in the HFM UI. This should update on schedule with EOC Stats (hopefully this will work fine for those outside the US- timezone issue). There is an option in the Web menu to Force a Refresh of this data if you find it's not updating. Couple other small updates to the Web Generation code and pages. Lastly, a fix for the default column order on some machines. Users who have not experienced this bug will not be effected. The side effect of this is now I can label the column headers with a more friendly name as they are no longer being auto generated by the class definition.

Thank you again to the following people who have donated to the HFM.NET Project (no particular order)

• David Fonda
  • Michael Obermeier
  • moltenrain
  • David Dory
  • George Stephen
  • Zachary Glazer
  • Jason Farque
  • Michael Metcalf
  • Charles Richards
  • Timothy Hester

Thanks Zero! :)

Something I've been wanting to do for a while... I've considered creating some options to choose what data is displayed. The XML document contains much more than I'm showing. I just have limited real estate on the status bar so I started with that as that's the data I'm personally interested in.

New Version: 0.2.2 - Build 30 - Beta - Download

- md5: ab5884b637143d300f1cf6d8b3906a52

- sha1: 7aabe1ba456de88cc39fb3dd81d03b842fb93bbb

Change Log

• Fix: FTP Client Type Download on Linux (Mono).
  • Fix: Frame calculations 'AllFrames' and 'EffectiveRate' were not persisting from session to session, would default back to 'LastThreeFrames'.
  • Fix: Allow special keystrokes (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, etc) in Numeric only textboxes.
  • Fix: Formatting error with links to individual clients on the standard web summary.html page (client links would not work when used with Firefox on Linux... Windows based browsers were fine)
  • Fix: Show NotifyIcon (sys tray icon) after Form has been shown (user reported unhandled exception when double-clicking on Icon before main Form is shown).
  • Fix: Current UnitInfo states now being saved correctly when leaving the current configuration (not just on shutdown).

• Change: Status Color Green is Color.Green (lighter) in lieu of Color.DarkGreen.
  • Change: Halting lookup of unknown protein description when doing Web Generation. Eliminates "HFM.Helpers.ProteinData.DescriptionFromURL threw exception..." messages that appear unnecessarily.
  • Change: Host Configuration - Validate 'Local Path' after returning from the Folder Browse dialog.
  • Change: Added check for EOC XML Stats 'Status' to limit the number of XML data retrievals when the stats do not change (like what usually happens at 12 noon update).
  • Change: Time based column alternate formatting to use leading 0 (i.e. 00min 00sec).
  • Change: Don't show Save Dialog when user selects a "Save" operation and no Filename and no Clients are defined.
  • Change: Added error dialog when Import FahMon Configuration yields no added clients.
  • Change: Added error dialog when Configuration Load yields no added clients.

• Enhancement: Add support for finding duplicate Project (R/C/G) and User + Machine ID combinations (HTML Summary reflects these changes as well).

Primarily a bug fix/change release for a few issues that have been discovered by myself or brought to my attention over the last few weeks. Most notibly: 'AllFrame' and 'EffectiveRate' now persist from session to session. The Green Status Color has been changed to make it a ligher shade. Added another check on the EOC Stats refresh to help eliminate continuous refreshes when the stats do not change but have been updated (like what usually happens at 12 noon). Changed the Time based alternate column formatting to use a leading 0 (i.e. 00min 00sec) - this was requested, I think it's fine... but please let me know if you don't like it. I could add the non-leading 0 formatting back in and have another variation, and I might do this anyway but if you like the previous style telling me so will nudge me to add it back in sooner. Otherwise, quite a few changes 'under the hood' to prep for the future. I anticipate this being the last version under the v0.2 moniker. Version 0.3 should be next up baring anything major that crops up from this release. Here's a list of potential changes/enhancements to the next major milestone:

• Send E-mail or SMS text when detecting an EUE state.
  • Dynamic Web Application Component (ASP.NET based WebApp fed data by HFM.NET client monitor).
  • Auto-Run on Windows Startup option.
  • Add Core Name and Core Version output to CompletedUnits.csv file.
  • Add New Version Notification (possibly download and update as well).
  • Option to show the entire FAHlog file in the HFM UI (in lieu of only the current WU).
  • Others... and many 'under the hood' changes planned that I won't detail.

Thank you again to the following people who have donated to the HFM.NET Project (no particular order... and I apologize if I've missed someone)

• cuda340
  • David Fonda
  • Michael Obermeier
  • moltenrain
  • David Dory
  • George Stephen
  • Zachary Glazer
  • Jason Farque
  • Michael Metcalf
  • Charles Richards
  • Timothy Hester
  • ChelseaOilman
  • LandShark

New Version: 0.2.2 - Build 31 - Beta - Download

- md5: 9a0d3c858fc0c1bdd7fb2a68f152bd04

- sha1: 4eb65e8cb1b6ede4b7b35f4ec792a8de35bab4b3

Change Log

• Fix: Issue with Save As... function not using the file name supplied by the user in the Save As... Dialog. Was using current config file name instead... which in the case of a new configuration would result in an unhandled exception - Thanks augie!!!

• Change: Messages Window can now be closed using F7 key.
  • Change: Now a single instance application (attempting to start HFM.exe again won't yield an exception, just a dialog telling you the app is already running).
  • Change: User specific UI settings like log file splitter location, column indexes, and column sort are now being saved at the time they are changed... not just on application shutdown.

• Enhancement: HTML Summary now respects the 'Allways List Offline Clients Last' option.
  • Enhancement: Add options to turn on/off the search for Duplicate User/Machine ID and Project (R/C/G) (HTML Summary reflects these changes as well).

A major fix for a nasty bug I created. If you're auto-loading a default config file, you probably didn't experience it. Couple other quick changes and enhancements based on user feedback. Please upgrade to avoid any problems saving your configuration files.

Thank you again to the following people who have donated to the HFM.NET Project (no particular order... and I apologize if I've missed someone)

• cuda340
  • David Fonda
  • Michael Obermeier
  • moltenrain
  • David Dory
  • George Stephen
  • Zachary Glazer
  • Jason Farque
  • Michael Metcalf
  • Charles Richards
  • Timothy Hester
  • ChelseaOilman
  • LandShark

Nice. swoody was just having that problem so I've let him know that it's fixed now.

New Version: 0.3.0 - Revision 53 - Beta - Download

- md5: 9c7f1f2b20f0347bb09e4e1cafe81753

- sha1: fde168a5d04491da73058c0d1dc0ca56672913d8

Change Log

• Enhancement: Log Parsing... Log Parsing... Log Parsing... a new approach, more being identified, just a huge improvement in reliability and future enhancements.
  • Enhancement: Add support for 'GettingWorkPacket' Status (Purple Status Color).
  • Enhancement: Email Reporting - Configure a reporting Email Address and SMTP Server and option to report clients detected in a 24hr. EUE Pause state (not yet tested on live data).
  • Enhancement: Encrypt sensetive data before storing in XML. This includes Host Server Passwords (encrypted the next time the configuration file is saved) and the following preferences fields: Proxy Server Password, SMTP Server Password, & HTML Output Folder or FTP URL (these fields will be encrypted on the first run of HFM v0.3.0).
  • Enhancement: Support for Log Text Coloring. Current Color Key: Blue="Key" Line / Green=Frame Progress Line / Red=Core and Client Shutdown / Grey=Not Identified
  • Enhancement: Add Auto-Run on Windows Startup option (tied to user account via reg key in HKCU).
  • Enhancement: Update code to write Core Name and Core Version, Average Frame Time based on all frames, and upgrade support from previous file layout for CompletedUnits.csv.
  • Enhancement: Indentify a Core Shutdown Result of "INTERRUPTED" and add these to the failed WU count.

• Fix: Altered code to use DateTimeStyle values specifically for Mono Framework. Mono does not appear to like the NoCurrentDateDefault style, which results in the DateTime.ParseExact method returning a DateTime equivalent to DateTime.MinValue. This yields a TimeOfDay equal to TimeSpan.Zero, which results in no frame durations being calculated. The bottom line... I BELIEVE THIS FIXES THE LOG PARSING ISSUES ON MONO!!!
  • Fix: Use local volatile list in Messages Form to hold current Debug messages in lieu of accessing the current message lines from the TextBox. This appears to have solved the problem with messages that go "missing" from the Messages Form (most evident when running under the Mono Framework).
  • Fix: Unhandled exception when double-clicking a client with the Ctrl key held down - Thanks ixor!
  • Fix: Progress Column sorting. The value 100% was not being sorted properly (sorting was based on text value, now based on float value) - Thanks ixor!
  • Fix: Benchmarks Form to use TableLayoutPanel. Now scales properly when using Large Fonts (120 DPI) - Thanks ixor!
  • Fix: Project ID has to be known before any work unit data is added to the benchmarks data. Any data added by previous versions with a Project ID of 0 will be deleted upon entering the Benchmarks Form.
  • Fix: Fixed a long standing bug that output an incorrect Expected Completion time on Instance web pages.
  • Fix: Correct spelling of "occurred" in process start error messages (ProcessStartError Resource String).
  • Fix: File name validation (as used by the Host Configuration Dialog). FAHlog.txt and unitinfo.txt file names could be entered with grossly unacceptable values.

• Change: Remove requirement for unitinfo.txt file to be present for log parsing to run.
  • Change: Update Main Form and HTML Summary to draw "Unknown" when Download Time or Deadline is DateTime.MinValue.
  • Change: SysTray Icon ToolTip to read "x Working Clients" and "x Non-Working Clients" to use the same nomenclature as the HTML Output.
  • Change (for anyone building from source): ScriptedRelease config is the only config that runs Pre or Post Build events. It is to be used for CruiseControl.NET CI Server Builds. The standard Debug and Release configs are available to use without any third-party dependencies (MSBuild Community Tasks, NUnit, NCover, FxCop, etc). Set AssemblyVersion.cs Revision number to 0, only official releases should contain the Revision number. This file will be updated only with Major.Minor.Build from now on.

• The user settings are tied to the location of the HFM.exe file. So if you move or otherwise rename any directory in the path to the HFM.exe file, you will lose your custom settings. Please choose your install location wisely, I recommend a very generic folder name like "\Program Files\HFM".

I've been quite busy getting this ready the last month or so. The code has gone through so many changes that the notes above really just touch on the highlights. I really can't say much of anything else... long time coming.

Thank you for using HFM.NET.

Awesome, you've really done a great job with this update. I'm really liking the new features you added. One thing I'd really like you to add if you can is for the log display to show the entire log file rather than just the section pertaining to the current workunit, since I often want to take a look at something from an earlier unit and it would be easier if I could just do that from within the program.

Hi Zero,

Thanks for those kind words, I sincerely appreciate it. :)

Showing the entire log file has been requested (by several people)... and I did experiment with it a bit during development of this version. However, with the added feature to "color code" the log as you see in the new version... doing so to the entire log file got expensive (very slow). I'm looking into alternatives. One immediately available possibility is to turn off the log "color coding" if the user selected to view the entire log file. But that's not really what I want.

In the meantime, there's always the ability to right-click on the client and "View Cached Log File". I know that's not what you're looking for, but it does provide users with the functionality to view the entire log without too much effort.

I'm workin' on it... :)

Feature Request

SideShow support.

I've got a G15 that I can use for SideShow. Also there is a driver to use a PSP as an auxiliary monitor. As a display, it sucks down resources, but as a SideShow Device, it sips

Harlam

Just downloaded it, and I love it.

I have noticed a couple of bugs tho.
1) the calculations at the bottom particularly week and total are way out of wack.
2) The status bar column stays @100% after the first WU is complete.

Hope this helps.

Keep up the great work :D

1) the calculations at the bottom particularly week and total are way out of wack.
Those aren't calculations, they're stats pulled from EOC. Go into Edit>Preferences>Web Settings and configure your user info properly, and you should see the numbers reported properly.

I think im a little confused on how to use this client bro.... can you gimme a dummies guide to runing this program, and installing my clients on it so they list and show there current values.... I have my EOC username # in, my Stanford ID and team ID in the user settings, but I cant figure out how to run the actual client..... hah

I think im a little confused on how to use this client bro.... can you gimme a dummies guide to runing this program, and installing my clients on it so they list and show there current values.... I have my EOC username # in, my Stanford ID and team ID in the user settings, but I cant figure out how to run the actual client..... hah
You just run the program, add the clients you want to monitor from the Clients menu, and customize the UI to however you like it. It's nothing complicated.

Well it must be to me, lol....... how do you add the clients to the client menu.... and dont tell me Add Cleints, cause I found that already..... I cant find the log files, I cant find anything, how do I add a computer thats not on my network, how do I add a system that is..... da da da!

You can only add clients on your network. Your log file directory is just whatever directory you run F@H from.

So Ive been using it, and this is by far the best monitoring tool!!!

I have a feature request.
Under benchmarking, would it be possible to calculate those same fields but do it for clients across all projects?

That way you can see what GPU or CPUs avg min max PPD are.

Thoughts?

How do you import the config file from Fahmon? In particular, where is it?

If you're using the latest FahMon v2.3.99.1, it's here on XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\FahMon\config\clientstab.txt

harlam357

Any updates on the Core b4 issue ?

YGPM ;)

I see another couple feature requests in the thread that I'll get entered into the Issues list on the HFM.NET Google Code Page... and will also respond in kind here when I look into those requests a little further.

Thanks to all for the kind words... get ready, v0.4.0 is coming... like in less than 60 minutes. :D

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\FahMon\config\clientstab.txt
The Vista equivalent would be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\FahMon\config\clientstab.txt.
Thanks to all for the kind words... get ready, v0.4.0 is coming... like in less than 60 minutes. :D
Nice :).

Oh. Right. Thanks.

New Version: 0.4.0 - Revision 86 - Beta - Download (MSI) Download (Zip)

- md5 (msi): 3637aebf71f23d562fe1607bf2a208ea
- sha1 (msi): bca05e7ee40e98acd09886a64e99db96a22fb4bf

- md5 (zip): 1e3d2193becfb5ffae5480b3737c24bc
- sha1 (zip): 5894911479e20ae97a1806283fc3063646ef87bf

Change Log

• Enhancement: HFM.NET is now also delivered in an MSI Installer Package. This is now the preferred method for installing HFM.NET on Windows.
  • Enhancement: Queue Viewer - for viewing information contained within the F@H client queue.dat file.
  • Enhancement: Benchmarks Upgrades
    - Minimum & Avgerage Frame Time Graphs (bar colors user configurable)
    - Ability to remove all benchmarks associated with a specific Client ("X" next to client names).
    - Ability to remove all benchmarks associated with a specific Project (right-click on Projects).
    - Ability to refresh the Minimum Frame Time based on current cache of 300 Frame Durations (right-click on Projects).
    - Save Benchmark Graphs to file (png, jpeg, gif, tiff). - Note: emf file type crashes under Mono
  • Enhancement: HTML Output Instance Pages - include the FAHlog.txt section for the active work unit.
  • Enhancement: HTML Output Instance Pages - include a link to the full FAHlog.txt file.
    - Note: The option enable or disable the copy/upload of the FAHlog.txt files is available in the Preferences.
  • Enhancement: Benchmarks and Messages Forms now save their Size and Position from session to session.
  • Enhancement: Option to run the application minimized to the system tray.

• Fix: Bug causing partial cpu client frames to be detected as a full frame.
  • Fix: HTML Output pages are now correctly marked as utf-8 and have their DOCTYPE set to HTML 4.01 TRANSITIONAL.
  • Fix: (Mostly) Compatibility issues with GUI layout under 120DPI fonts (Windows only). There are still some small alignment issues with the queue viewer show/hide functionality.
  • Fix: Grid Tooltip paints when entering a cell the first time, not continually. This fixes high cpu usage on Windows 7 (and probably Vista) due to continual redraw.

• Change: Text benchmark output only shows production lines when the client is running the benchmark project.
  • Change: Reduced the number of simultaneous log retrieval threads from 64 to 20 (I believe I was starving the thread pool with too many threads).
  • Change: Effective Rate is no longer based on a sliding value (current Date and Time). It is now based on the last log retrieval time for each client, yielding a fixed value between data refresh cycles.
  • Change: VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
    - Due to UAC rules for installed applications under Vista & Windows 7 this version will move your BenchmarkCache.dat, CompletedUnits.csv, & CompletedUnits.0_2_2.csv files to your user's HFM.NET Application Data Folder. *

* HFM.NET Application Data Folder (example locations)

- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\HFM

- Vista / Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\HFM

This will be the last version update post in this format. For the sake of simplicity and to make it easier on me to do version update posts on this forum and other forums, I have moved the content found in the Top Post of this thread into This Page in the HFM.NET Google Group. From now on these version update posts will simply be a post with the latest version number and links to the HFM.NET Google Code Homepage and HFM.NET Google Group.

Although I will continue to visit this thread periodically, the HFM.NET Google Group will now be the primary place to go for HFM.NET News, Discussion, and Support - enabling all users to converge in one central location. I encourage all HFM.NET users to join the Google Group. It's Free!

To easily keep up with the latest project news, subscribe to a HFM.NET News Feed!

Nice. You worked in the Kfactor bonus points.

Good work :)

I installed it with the MSI Installer package and it installed just fine. Imported the configuration information from FahMon and it all looks good.

I just installed it. However its nto reporting the credit for my -bigadv box. under credit it says "NaN"

Thanks All! More to come in v0.5.0. :)

I just installed it. However its nto reporting the credit for my -bigadv box. under credit it says "NaN"

Can I have a screen shot of that please? This looks like an issue with the bonus multiplier and credit calculation.

Also, I'd like you to send me your HFM.log and ProjectInfo.tab file from the HFM Application Data Folder.

Email: harlam357 at gmail dot com

* HFM.NET Application Data Folder (example locations)

- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\HFM

- Vista / Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\HFM

That's funny, mine is showing a sideways 8 for my PPD....what gives?

;)

Dephcon & jebo_4jc, any further information (per my last post) on your problems? I'm releasing another build today and will look into these issues before hand if I have some further information.

Back