Hissing/high frequency feedback with new BFG 8880GTX

Traxx

Limp Gawd
I have an odd "problem" with my new 8800GTX... whenever I start an app that requires use of 3D acceleration, I hear this bizarre hissing/whistling/high-frequency feedback. It's not loud, but loud enough that I can hear it from inside a Lian-Li PC71 with several fans running.

I haven't experienced any graphical corruptions or crashes, or instabilities. It does this whether it's overclocked or not, but only during 3D apps. The other weird thing is that the pitch of the noise changes depending on the scene... ie, if I'm playing Oblivion, the pitch changes when I look up at the sky vs. looking at the ground. I ruled out the monitor (GDM-FW900) since it does this when it's off as well.

I bought this brand new from NewEgg. I haven't sent in for an RMA or emailed BFG yet, but would they even take it back since there is nothing technically wrong with it? Is this something that will hurt me in the long term? What should I do?

are you sure your not hearing the G80's fan kick up to speed when starting a 3d app?

It's not. The pitch changes depending on what I'm doing... I can have RTHRDL running in the background, and tab back and forth (toggling its priority) and the hissing starts/stops. It's something that affects only 3D apps, which totally blows my mind.

I had a 7800GT before this, and believe me, I'm used to the sound of a harrier jet taking off when that sucker spools up. Damn thing made my entire case vibrate when it would hit load temps.

This happens to me too. It's from the voltage and amperage differentials travelling through the various filtering components on the board.

I can't hear it unless I take the side of my case off, but my GTS whines a bit whenever it's stressed.

I can actually control the pitch of the whine depending on how much "load" it's processing. Looking at the ground in Oblivion decreases it a few semitones, whereas looking out in the forest makes it squeal higher.

The same thing happend to my Macbook Pro before it was replaced. (and I wrote a program to play various well known tunes over the filtering capacitors for fun, go Applescript).

This is fairly normal, and there's various ways of backing my assertation up... which I can delve into if you need me to.

yeah, the card in my sig does this occasionally. its very situational. basically there is nothing wrong with your card or anyone's that does this. its just a quirk with whatever capacitor/circuitry combo happens to be on your board I guess.

RMA it. My roommate got 8800 GTS and his was BADLY doing that. He sent it back to Newegg and got a new one that doesn't.....must've been a bad batch of those things.

RMA it. My roommate got 8800 GTS and his was BADLY doing that. He sent it back to Newegg and got a new one that doesn't.....must've been a bad batch of those things.

Yeah, if it's REALLY loud, definitely RMA it. All electronics squeel a bit... Ever been behind a TV?

I have had two BFG's and both did/do it. This newest one is even louder then the last one. All games play and look good, but it can be annoying in a very quiet section of a game.

Back