Homefront - March 2011

For those that are thinking about buying the retail version (as I did) you will be more than disappointed to know that only HALF of the files are on the Disc. You still have to D/L about 5 gigs off of Steam. Lame, just lame.

I was very pissed off about this. The reason I got the retail version was so I wouldn't have to waste time downloading the game. Then i get it home and install it just to find out they only put half the game on the disc. What is the point of selling it on disc if you are only going to put half the game on the disc.

lmao wow... god i love game developers!

If i bought a physical copy, and seen that, I would definitely ask for half my money back from the developer.

lmao wow... god i love game developers!

If i bought a physical copy, and seen that, I would definitely ask for half my money back from the developer.

I am going to contact THQ customer service and see if I can at least get a free game or something from them. But I agree they owe me $25 cause i only got half the game so I should only have to play half the price.

I am going to contact THQ customer service and see if I can at least get a free game or something from them. But I agree they owe me $25 cause i only got half the game so I should only have to play half the price.

Just make sure you only play the first 3.5 chapters then

I haven't been able to play it yet because I'm still waiting for the download to finish. I have slow internet and it takes a long time to download large files like this.

Yeah, which is about an hour in really.

I bought the game from Direct2Drive and also had to download a few gigs. Figured I could just install it from the D2D installer (which seems to just be a copy of the disc) and go, but nope.

They should have released this game as 50/50. You pay for SP if you want it and/or MP instead of paying MSRP for both. Seems like this game would be better suited as a download only title. Its still pretty mindless fun though.

Just finished the campaign - 5 hours on hard, but that's because I got stuck on several areas. I could easily see someone beating this in 3 hours on normal/easy. What was there was pretty fun, especially towards the end, but they could have definitely added more considering where the story left off (is that it? is the war over? what happens next?).

Just finished the campaign - 5 hours on hard, but that's because I got stuck on several areas. I could easily see someone beating this in 3 hours on normal/easy. What was there was pretty fun, especially towards the end, but they could have definitely added more considering where the story left off (is that it? is the war over? what happens next?).

They're already working on a Homefront 2. THQ spent a lot of money to get this franchise started and they're going to milk it for all it's worth. Someone from Kaos has stated that the sequel will have a longer singleplayer campaign, but people say a lot of things without fallowing through..

This is one of those games that will be on sale on steam in literally no time. I forsee a 50% off ssale in less than 60 days. Call me crazy but that's how these shitty games go.

here is my 2cents ,I'm at work and my thoughts got scattered. Heres what i got

i have not touched on the SP. Ive played maybe 5-6 hours of MP.
Yes the graphics could be better. But by no means are the graphics horrible.
The gameplay is like any other FPS. There are some cool ideas in homefront, such as the drones. or purchasing perks on the go. No more killstreak raping.

Homefront follows the same lvl system like BC2/COD, you get initial XP, but you can complete challenges to unlock scopes and other gun variations
you have to unlock stuff before you can put it in your loadout to be purchased. such as air strikes or vehicles.You purchase and use perks just like COD, its not too bad though because the perks are the same through out all the loadouts. No perk class 1/2/3. Its based on a point system. some perks are worth more than others. So it depends on what you want.

There is little to no re-coil on most guns, even the LMG's lack re-coil.Most guns feel and play the same.there is not too many guns.i believe i saw maybe 10-15. Which isnt too bad. gives me the opportunity to use

The problems lie with the coding of the game. I havent encountered choppy gameplay by i have found Massive stuttering or freezing at random in the gameplay.

I do feel i jumped the gun, i did give Metro away to a friend(i already own it from a previous sale). its nice to share the wealth.However for full price i would wait if you were considering this. Its probaly worth 30$. But for 50$ ehhh i dunno.
If i forgot anything ill add it later

also posted on the hardforum for those who visit both

After getting past the SP, the MP is way better to me... This is probably going to be my fav fps since COD4. MW2, black ops, BFBC2 were complete wastes of money... I only played a few hours of each and had to stop.

I'm glad it isn't like COD series, larger maps are a nice change of pace for sure.

I know a lot of people don't like it, that's ok, not everyone likes every game. I like it over the recent big hits, should hold me till BF3.

It states the game requires 10GB of space, Your average computer user knows that a normal DVD holds 4.7GB.

There's heaps of games that take 10gb but fit on a single DVD in compressed form. You would never expect it to actually require a large download just because the required size is 10gb.

It states the game requires 10GB of space, Your average computer user knows that a normal DVD holds 4.7GB.

And dual layer discs can hold more or that 4.7gb could uncompress to 10. Or maybe there are 2 discs? I'd be very pissed if I had bought the game and had an ISP that had a low cap (or someone with 128k dsl ;) ).

So there is no bullet travel time, but there sure is for tank rounds. Extremely ridiculous travel times actually. I'll assume that it is a MPAT round, 3,740 ft/sec and the typical round in the game is the M855 5.56 at 2,975 ft/sec. So if they are going to shit out this polished turd I don't know why the fuck they made the tanks fire rounds like they are fucking rockets.

I'm curious if I am the only one that kept crashing the chopper because I was trying to fly it like I was playing BF2.

I finished the single player in one afternoon. I'm not to happy about that.

The game suffers from the same issues that every shooter suffers from. Scripted events were being thrown off because I arrived at the next location before the actors or because I took a slightly different path. Edging around a vehicle to take a shot and the round hits the invisible part of the vehicles model. Endless enemies pooring out of buildings or climbing over fences until you hit that magic line or shoot the one enemy that turns them off.

It was obvious that they were trying to compete with the COD series with the scripted events in the SP but failing nearly everytime. I despise the COD multiplayer but their singleplayer storytelling and scripts are the best so far. The feel of the Homefront singleplayer kept being thrown off by the characters all pausing, waiting for me to hit some magic trigger.

We should be past this by now. The scripting and storytelling should be better.

I enjoyed the game and I am sure I will enjoy the multiplayer, one day, when I can play online again.

I finished the SP last night, according to Steam I have 7 hours played, But its probably more like 6 hours actual playtime.

I enjoyed the game and the story. I mentioned my only complaint in an early post and thats still my only complaint. I'll probably play through it a couple more times for achievements.

I spent last night playing the PC multiplayer with a friend.

I really liked it. I was easier to get into than BC2 online and I thought it brought a few things to the table that other FPS's arent delivering :

1. Very detailed maps.
Lots of artwork went into these maps to create realistic neighbourhoods etc. The poly count may not be up there with the latest and greatest, but the immersion is definitely there.

2. Large Maps.
Finally.... decently large maps to use alternative strategies against. Better than BC2 maps, and much bigger than COD maps.

3. Bounties on people who kill lots.
I like this a lot. There is something really good about walking around knowing you are being hunted by the other team for cash because you have killed a load of them. When playing with friends, this is a cool feature that Ive not seen in other FPS's

4. Spend ur battlepoints mid game to kit out (certain items).
I like this... it works well. I can purchase a hell fire missile and take down a plane or chopper when I need to, or spawn in a Humvee etc. It adds to the game.

5. No instant raping from people who have much better guns.
BC2 suffered from this when I started playing that. The base guns were rubbish and it put me off. This game has decent weapons to start that you can customise a little (but admittedly not that much)

6. A great mashup of drones, choppers, planes, remote control guns.
It adds variety and whilst not the same quality as some of the devices in other games, they are functional.

7. Performs great on my PC (GTX 570/ 4GB Mem / Core 9550 @ 3.6Ghz) @ 1920x1200, Extra High Detail.

Also.. no lag, no internet crap etc. It just worked. lol.. my signature needs updating!

8. Battle Commander mode.. with variable targets and threat levels was the most enjoyable to play. Being told to hunt down a high value target was fun.

From a negative point of view, I would say the following :

1. RUN doesnt work. Pressing shift to sprint doesnt seem to do anything.
2. Sometimes movement around certain objects and doorways seems clunky and you may get stuck briefly for a second.
3. Snipers are common, and annoying, but you can hunt them down fairly easily.
4. Some servers seemed to only be playing 2 or 3 maps, yet others had a lot more on. Shop around I guess. Not sure why this was the case.
5. On the servers I played the rounds were quite short. I would like to see longer rounds.

There were plenty of servers to choose from last night and lots of people playing. I played from 8pm to 2am and had a blast. Well worth the £25 I paid for it (UK). Anything I get from single player is a bonus for me.

So there is no bullet travel time, but there sure is for tank rounds. Extremely ridiculous travel times actually. I'll assume that it is a MPAT round, 3,740 ft/sec and the typical round in the game is the M855 5.56 at 2,975 ft/sec. So if they are going to shit out this polished turd I don't know why the fuck they made the tanks fire rounds like they are fucking rockets.

I totally agree with you on the tanks. I must of been maybe 40 yards in a stand off with a Bradley while playing MP last night. I had the aim thing centered perfectly and was somehow missing the damn thing... not to mention that it sounded like I was shooting a flame thrower as opposed to a tank. It took about 7 shots to get him down. Maybe it was a glitch or something, I don't know. I do know that I was pretty decent with the tanks in the BF series and this was nothing like that.

It seems this game does have some potential. But as of now it just has a clunky feel to it. As others have said it's got a GRAW feel and I totally see what they are referring to. Maybe a few patches can fix this game.

Thats one thing I hate.. The damn armor.. Whats the point in a RPG when it dont do shit..

It took 4 rpgs to take out a humvee.. Like really????

I totally agree with you on the tanks. I must of been maybe 40 yards in a stand off with a Bradley while playing MP last night. I had the aim thing centered perfectly and was somehow missing the damn thing... not to mention that it sounded like I was shooting a flame thrower as opposed to a tank. It took about 7 shots to get him down. Maybe it was a glitch or something, I don't know. I do know that I was pretty decent with the tanks in the BF series and this was nothing like that.

It seems this game does have some potential. But as of now it just has a clunky feel to it. As others have said it's got a GRAW feel and I totally see what they are referring to. Maybe a few patches can fix this game.

I brought this all up on their forum and it was like I raped their mothers. Using excuses like 'if you want realism join the military' and 'go shoot a duck then'. They also brought up stuff like 'I don't have a gun in my hand, I have a controller' - I then realized the people reading my posts were under 18 and suffered from console pussyitis. I forgot to mention that the M9 rendering looks like utter shit, it looks more like a fucking ray gun... I honestly had no idea that's what it was when I first used it in game.

For once I hope people pirate the shit out of that garbage game and kill it and or hack it to death.

Edit: lol more insults and personal attacks, I must really have them upset.

Last edited:
Picked this up yesterday since it was on sale on Amazon's Download. The only thing I'm wishing it had was native Eyefinity support. The UI elements are a bit stretched when running it across a 3x1 setup.

5. No instant raping from people who have much better guns.
BC2 suffered from this when I started playing that. The base guns were rubbish and it put me off. This game has decent weapons to start that you can customise a little (but admittedly not that much)

Sorry, gotta disagree with that. I think the problem is when people first start they aren't as good because they aren't used to it, so they say the initial guns "suck". They really don't. The guns in BC2 are different, not really any better or worse. You may just feel like the later ones are better because you do better as you progress so you think it is them.

I've been having to switch up off of favourtie weapons as I get platinum in an effort to get rank 50 (not sure why I care but I want to try :D). I'm finding the lower guns are much better than I remember them being. For example as medic, which I play the most, I wasn't really happy with it until I got the MG36. First gun I felt I was good with. Hit platinum with that and decided to try the XM8 which felt... Well 100% the same. Checking the stats people have actually worked out, not the inaccurate in game stats that IS because it is the same. Platinumed in that and wasn't sure what to do. The MG3 I don't like at all and I didn't recall liking the starting guns. Decided to give the M249 a try. I love it, doing great with it. Has replaced the MG36 as my favourite.

Is much better than I remember it at first... Or more accurately *I* am much better and the gun isn't really a big deal.

The best snipers I know tend to use primarily or exclusively the M24. The mil-specs on the scope are very useful for long distance aiming, the refire time is good, much better than some other guns, and a head shot is still lethal.

Is it just me, or does anyone think the graphics are a bit lackluster? I put all of the settings at maximum, and it looks about like games from 5 years ago.

I have a Radeon 4850 though, could that be what's holding me back, as it doesnt support DX11?

Graphically it's definitely not top end, sort of looks like a Source engine game though I think it's UE 3 based.

Sorry, gotta disagree with that. I think the problem is when people first start they aren't as good because they aren't used to it, so they say the initial guns "suck". They really don't. The guns in BC2 are different, not really any better or worse. You may just feel like the later ones are better because you do better as you progress so you think it is them.

I've been having to switch up off of favourtie weapons as I get platinum in an effort to get rank 50 (not sure why I care but I want to try :D). I'm finding the lower guns are much better than I remember them being. For example as medic, which I play the most, I wasn't really happy with it until I got the MG36. First gun I felt I was good with. Hit platinum with that and decided to try the XM8 which felt... Well 100% the same. Checking the stats people have actually worked out, not the inaccurate in game stats that IS because it is the same. Platinumed in that and wasn't sure what to do. The MG3 I don't like at all and I didn't recall liking the starting guns. Decided to give the M249 a try. I love it, doing great with it. Has replaced the MG36 as my favourite.

Is much better than I remember it at first... Or more accurately *I* am much better and the gun isn't really a big deal.

The best snipers I know tend to use primarily or exclusively the M24. The mil-specs on the scope are very useful for long distance aiming, the refire time is good, much better than some other guns, and a head shot is still lethal.

Stuff like the Carl Gustav or the mortar or the scope are very hard on new players. I think you can be successful, with almost any weapon, but some configs are harder for newer players.

I'm about 30-45 mins in the sp... interesting story on paper.. but poorly executed, the firefights just feel tedious when 50 of the enemy sodiers spawn out of nowhere.

but, I do like the multiplayer pretty fun with vehicles and the battlepoints system going on.

Graphically it's definitely not top end, sort of looks like a Source engine game though I think it's UE 3 based.

exactly my thoughts. although the environment is incredibly detailed. but other than that, it's meh. there were definitely some good ideas and the bus ride in the beginning was excellent. but the game tries to hard to be cod and fails. there are bad design choices everywhere, like endlessly spawning enemies with perfect aim, stupid trigger-based events, etc.
took me about 4 hours to complete, which is a joke. good thing i only paid 25€ instead of 50€ for it.

Playing it on the 360 (thanks gamefly!) and it's quite fun. However, this game holds your hand alot. Really?! The game has to tell me to press "X" every time there is a place I need to climb a ladder?:rolleyes:

Need help. Cant click on a server or menu and some controls wont work in game.
Hope I dont have to reinstall the game.

I bit. took all night to download so I got to kill one guy and then go to work. More tonight at 11.

Not after adverting but it's $23 at everybodys favorite auction house.

Back