Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 7-8GB

Votes: 23 15.6%
  • 9+ GB

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

adamvk

Limp Gawd
I"m considering upgrading from 3GB of ultra slow 533MHZ ram to 8GB PC6400 ram. How much ram do all of you vista users have, and how helpful is it for you?

2gigs but with the price of DDR2 right now I'm thinking about getting 2 more. I game and what not but never really noticed too much of a slow down.

I have 2 in 32bit vista.I haven't had any problems yet which is good since I don't have the cash to buy a new mobo right now

4 gigs in vista x64 for my laptop

768mb for xp in my desktop...haha, im going to upgrade when i get back from my deployment

I said 2GB, b/c my laptop and my new rig both have 2GB. My old DDR2 rig has 4x1GB, and is silky smooth. Just waiting for DDR3 to come down to load up my new machine. Addind a 2xGB kit for 6GB sure sounds nice.... :)

I'm running on 2GB in my laptop right now. I'd like to go up to 4GB, but 2GB SO-DIMMs are still too expensive for me to justify the cost. Vista is still pretty zippy on 2GB, so I have no complaints.

Running 2gb because that's all my lappy supports. My new one will have either 3gb or 4gb when I get it. Vista seems to run fine on 2 though. I tried 1 for a while, and that didn't work so well.

I still think I want 8GB of ram :) Is there a program that can monitor ram usage and show you how much you are using?

I still think I want 8GB of ram :) Is there a program that can monitor ram usage and show you how much you are using?

Taskmanager? I've got a Windows Sidebar gadget that monitors RAM usage. Typically with 8GB it states that 37% of the memory is used while essentially idle. Granted you have to keep in mind that Vista uses idle RAM for superfetch so having 8GB of RAM or more won't make the usage percentage go down a whole lot.

My laptop has 2GB of RAM and uses Vista 32bit. It's ok but having 4GB or 8GB is definitely nicer.

I've got 8 Gigs with Vista x64. I couldn't settle for anything less.

I have 8GB DDR2 800. Out of the box, I didn't notice any improvement from 4GB, but I took advantage of low DDR2 prices to give me a little more flexibility down the road when it comes to audio processing (one of my hobbies).

Depends on which box, it ranges from 2 gigs in my MCE to 16 gigs in my workstation.

I just moved to 8GB on my main system. The gains above 4GB haven't been very noticable at 6GB or 8GB, but I don't really run anything that requires huge amounts of memory per task.

2gb on vista 32bit and 1gb on laptop. thinking of upgrading to 4gb on the desktop anyone think its worth it?

Taskmanager? I've got a Windows Sidebar gadget that monitors RAM usage. Typically with 8GB it states that 37% of the memory is used while essentially idle. Granted you have to keep in mind that Vista uses idle RAM for superfetch so having 8GB of RAM or more won't make the usage percentage go down a whole lot.

If you go into Task Manager chances are it will show your physical memory as having very little free. I have a Sidebar gadget monitoring CPU and memory usage as well, and although it's currently at 51% usage, Task Manager shows 35MB of free physical memory(it's usually lower actually). Superfetch literally uses all available memory, which is rather nice, so it should scale up to use all the memory in an 8GB system as well.

If you go into Task Manager chances are it will show your physical memory as having very little free. I have a Sidebar gadget monitoring CPU and memory usage as well, and although it's currently at 51% usage, Task Manager shows 35MB of free physical memory(it's usually lower actually). Superfetch literally uses all available memory, which is rather nice, so it should scale up to use all the memory in an 8GB system as well.

Task manager shows I have 47MB free. So it does scale well with 8GB of RAM.

i have 8gb in vista64 and can't tell a difference if i pull 2 sticks out. with taskmanager up i normaly use less than 4 gigs but i got the extra for futureproofing.

Anyone here use that ReadyBoost feature w/an SD card or USB thumbdrive? I seem to recall Anand doing some testing on it and it didn't really seem to help performance much at first (dunno if Superfetch actually cache'd stuff to it or what)... I wonder what speed thumbdrive/whatever they were using though.

I actually don't own a single normal thumbdrive but I was testing all the different SD/microSD/Memory Stick Micro (M2)/etc cards I have (w/HD Tach) and I was surprised that the PNY 2GB micro SD card I bought during a CompUSA clearance is actually 2x faster than anything else I had... It reports 20 MB/s when everything else is 1 MB/s (Creative MuVo) or 10 MB/s in most cases, including an "Ultra II" Sandisk SD card.

Just seemed odd that the dinky PNY card that had no speed rating whatsoever on the packaging (and came with micro-SD->miniSD, microSD->SD, and microSD->USB adapters) was actually the fastest. :p

i have 8gb in vista64 and can't tell a difference if i pull 2 sticks out. with taskmanager up i normaly use less than 4 gigs but i got the extra for futureproofing.

Same here. It didn't do anything for me.

Anyone here use that ReadyBoost feature w/an SD card or USB thumbdrive? I seem to recall Anand doing some testing on it and it didn't really seem to help performance much at first (dunno if Superfetch actually cache'd stuff to it or what)... I wonder what speed thumbdrive/whatever they were using though.

Readyboost basically uses flash cards/USB drives as surrogate RAM, so yeah, Superfetch does cache to them, hence the file called Readyboost.sfcache that's placed on a Readyboost volume(.sfcache is a Superfetch cache file).

Back when I only had 1GB of RAM in my laptop I used a 512MB MicroSD card for Readyboost(it was the only card I had lying around) and it did help a fair amount. When I upgraded to 2GB of RAM though, Readyboost had no effect. Most testing seems to show that it doesn't help if there's 2GB or more of system RAM because NAND flash isn't fast enough to make a difference with enough RAM.

I have 3 GB in one lappy and 4 in the other and I can't tell the difference, but with 1GB on our last lappy (all vista) you can tell the difference.

I have 3 GB in one lappy and 4 in the other and I can't tell the difference, but with 1GB on our last lappy (all vista) you can tell the difference.

1GB of RAM is unbearable with Vista. It's about like 256MB of RAM or 128MB of RAM is with XP.

8GB. It's a bit unneeded now, but it could be helpful in the future. It'll be nice when photoshop CS4 comes out, plus I love multi-tasking.

I have three gigs in the new notebook that I just bought, and it runs vista silky smooth for just regular apps like word processing, firefox, etc. Never have to close anything anymore...

My mom's vista laptop has 2gb, and I can definitely feel the difference when Im in vista, things seem to run slower.

But then again, the two systems aren't really comparable... they both have the same processor: T5550, but she has vista business, and I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I just have home premium.

I have 8GB on my desktop, 2gb each on my 2 laptops. 2GB IMO is enough for Vista,

Have 4GB in x64, put in 8GB but the heat was too much so took it back down to 4, plus no real advantage for what im doing.

My standard for Vista is 4GB or better. My old PC started with 2GB which was fine. I bumped it to 4GB because RAM was so cheap and it actually made quite a difference.

New system in my sig, which I only finished putting together yesterday, has 8GB mainly because it's so amazingly cheap nowadays. ;)

-V

My desktop rig has 1GB with Vista and it runs fine IMO. It's not silky smooth but as fast as XP on 512MB.

My laptop has 3GB and that one flies with Vista.

I have 2 gigs, but Im about to put in 6gigs of DDR2800. People are saying there is a noticable difference going from 2 -> 3+, so Im hoping for a zippier PC. I notice plenty of lag when I am alt-tabbing around

Ive got 2g ddr2 in mine. Normal clock. Here soon though im gonna try to get 4g ram. Heard that it makes a huge differnece in vista x32

Back