HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

WOO HOO!!!

i just ordered one for 1619 shipped
i hope to have it before next week....

have any of you with the L2335 tried any of the WMV9 HD stuff?
they have a couple of IMAX films in WMV9 HD 1080P and they also have Terminator 2 WMV9 HD 1080P

i want to see just how awsome some of that stuff will look when i get the monitor....

OPTERON said:
WOO HOO!!!

they have a couple of IMAX films in WMV9 HD 1080P and they also have Terminator 2 WMV9 HD 1080P

i want to see just how awsome some of that stuff will look when i get the monitor....

Congrat's. Have only seen T2 in WM9 1080P, pretty damned sweet. You can easily tell the high speed from low speed film during the movie. Ultra crispy. Anyone know how to play it outside of the crappy bundled player?

after much searching i have come to the conclusion that you have to use the bundled player....

but.... i do believe the beta RC4 version of Zoom Player Pro you can play WMV DRM clips.

i dont know how good the player is or if in fact you could play T2 with it .. i cant remember where i heard about zoom player pro ... but anyway....

man.... waiting sucks....

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It seems that I'm lucky, a friend of mine got it so I think I'll borrow him monday! Thank you very much for the info and congrats on the monitor.

Any chance one of you gents can pair the 23" beast next to a 19" for a comparison pic?

I was doing dual 19" but sold one off, and thinking of acquiring a 23" for the main display, and using the 19" for portrait document viewing tasks. The last time I was in the market for a widescreen was when the 240T was in circulation, now it's discontinued.

I've been considering this one: http://lg.ca/computer/prodSpecification.asp?p=3308

LG L2320A, only the 25ms is a downer.

Thanks in advance for the request.

a ronin said:
Any chance one of you gents can pair the 23" beast next to a 19" for a comparison pic?

I was doing dual 19" but sold one off, and thinking of acquiring a 23" for the main display, and using the 19" for portrait document viewing tasks. The last time I was in the market for a widescreen was when the 240T was in circulation, now it's discontinued.

Thanks in advance for the request.

Just have the Planar 17" as shown in my original pics. Of course, now that I have the 23" HP I don't even use the Planar any more. The great thing about the HP is that you can put two 960x1200 portraits side by side. Does your 19" do 1600x1200 resolution? If so, this would be more ideal in using dual monitors. The thing I don't like about using the 17" I have is that the vertical resolution is not the same.

canislupy said:
Just have the Planar 17" as shown in my original pics. Of course, now that I have the 23" HP I don't even use the Planar any more. The great thing about the HP is that you can put two 960x1200 portraits side by side. Does your 19" do 1600x1200 resolution? If so, this would be more ideal in using dual monitors. The thing I don't like about using the 17" I have is that the vertical resolution is not the same.

I like to setup a singular monitor for documentations, and another for the actual work. I don't think there is many, if at all, 19" that do 1600x1200.

I had 191T/N, but retired the T and thinking of ditching this 191N for 23", but have grown acustomed to having one solely for docs.

BTW, have you considered the LG panel in your research? I really hate to sound superficial, but the HP has some dodgy bezel design.

Compared to this:

pb030801101151.jpg

if not: http://www.lge.ca/images/products/pb030801101151.jpg

OPTERON said:
WOO HOO!!!

Mind me asking where you got it for 1619 at?

ronin - When I first heard that the HP was supposed to be an LG panel, I did look at it, but it seems it is not the same (anyone know any different?). The 16ms and lower price were the key factors for my choosing the HP over others.

i got it at page computers.... but they just raised their price up to 1,676.44 before shipping...

when i was looking for it i just went to www.pricegrabber.com and searched for L2335.

they do supposedly have 22 in stock though

You guys still loving this monitor? I am really considering it. As a PC display and also a HD monitor for my HD Tivo.. I'm bummed that the one store bumped the price back up/

Kamakzie said:
You guys still loving this monitor? I am really considering it. As a PC display and also a HD monitor for my HD Tivo.. I'm bummed that the one store bumped the price back up/

No doubt. Only thing out there I'd trade it for right now would be an Eizo CG21... $1700 monitor for a $2800 moniter, uhh... sure. :D

I hear the high definition picture blows the doors off other much more expensive LCD TV's.

Kamakzie said:
I hear the high definition picture blows the doors off other much more expensive LCD TV's.

Strangely enough, I haven't tested High Def on my set yet. Just a lazy bastard is all... need to run the cable up to my room, blah - etc. :rolleyes: :p

Ok, Gameguru, how many banks did you rob to have 6 lcd displays in a single room? I hate you :(

That monitor is def badass. Saw it on display the other day playing LOTR: ROTK....sooo sweet.

I love my 19" lcd, despite its 25ms response time, but I'm looking hard at the dell 20" for the next rig....

Well guy's I just took the plunge and ordered one of these babies from PCsuperdeals.com. I will be using this as my primary PC display and also my primary HD display and I am dumping my HD CRT to the highest bidder! :cool:

I've heard good things about this monitor... but why is it selling for $500-1000 less than other 23" monitors?

I'm typing on my new L2335 right now. This monitor rocks.

I'm still at work and my nvidia card doesn't seem to support many widescreen resolutions, though.

As soon as X800's come down in price, that'll powering this bad boy.. hopefully my 9500 can keep up for a couple months until then. ;)

a ronin said:
I like to setup a singular monitor for documentations, and another for the actual work. I don't think there is many, if at all, 19" that do 1600x1200.

I had 191T/N, but retired the T and thinking of ditching this 191N for 23", but have grown acustomed to having one solely for docs.

BTW, have you considered the LG panel in your research? I really hate to sound superficial, but the HP has some dodgy bezel design.

Compared to this:

pb030801101151.jpg

if not: http://www.lge.ca/images/products/pb030801101151.jpg

The HP L2335 is an LG.Philips monitor. I will have my review up at Designtechnica next week. Here is what the HP PR rep told us:

"The panel comes from LG.Philips (joint venture between LG electronics and Royal Dutch Philips). The monitor is built by Philips."

I have also heard rumors that the Apple Cinema display uses an LG panel in it. I have not done any research to verfiy that claim however. Maybe you guys know.

I can tell you this HP monitor is probably one of the best monitors I have seen. The only problem is not having a video card that can support playing at a 1600x1200 resolution at the frame rates I want! :)

The PiP controls are a pain to use. You have to go in through the menu and adjust its placement that way, there are no direct controls on the monitor itself. You obviously do not want to buy this for the PiP features though. My guess is that it is a function left over by the Philips or LG models and it was cheaper to leave them in the HP model than to take them out during the manufacturing process. I don't know.

I have a Nvidia GF FX 5900 Ultra and I am pretty sure it will do widescreen resolutions I hope!

Karmakaze said:
I'm typing on my new L2335 right now. This monitor rocks.

I'm still at work and my nvidia card doesn't seem to support many widescreen resolutions, though.

As soon as X800's come down in price, that'll powering this bad boy.. hopefully my 9500 can keep up for a couple months until then. ;)

Pictures from backlabel.

Hi. I also just bought a L2335. But I think the display might be 25ms. Could you take a pic of the label on the back so I may compare?

My Display was manufatored in march 2004 and it say Model No. PE1240 on it. What do you have? Thanks

Mine's a P9615A from May 2004.

Haven't done any FMV to test response rate. Is there a tool for determining true response rate?

Also, I noticed that the silver paint on the bezel and base is very scratched and dirty... Almost like it's a refurb.. anyone else see this?

Karmakaze said:
Mine's a P9615A from May 2004.

Haven't done any FMV to test response rate. Is there a tool for determining true response rate?

Also, I noticed that the silver paint on the bezel and base is very scratched and dirty... Almost like it's a refurb.. anyone else see this?

mine was te same way...I cleaned it up with some googone the best I could..

looks like it was from the box during shipping

Guru, is yours a 16ms version?

If yes what is your Spares Number? Mine is 337986-001
and my assembly number is, 336166-001

You would help me a lot. I would need to return this model soon... (if in fact 25ms)

Kamakzie said:
I have a Nvidia GF FX 5900 Ultra and I am pretty sure it will do widescreen resolutions I hope!

I have a Quadro 900 at work (so basically a GeForce 3 I believe).

With my current drivers, there are a couple widescreen resolutions available (13XX x 786, 1600x900). But it appears that the card is really still emitting a 4:3 signal, because if I set the monitor to "Pixel to Pixel" (or even "Fit to Aspect Ratio") it scrunches everything into 4:3 mode (so everything is "tall").

So, I tried upgrading to the latest drivers and my machine no longer booted... So I'm back on older ones.

Can't wait to get it home and play _something_ at wide screen (most likely red orchestra)

mine is a p9615a from april 2004

so far everything is perfect with it

played only a couple of games with it and i see no ghosting
played a bunch of wmv9 hd clips and T2 in hd and it is great
watched some hdtv... csi .. and when you compared it to my regular tv... my regular tv just sucked

i did find one dead pixel... well its kinda dead .. when i do a test it is black when supposed to be black when it is supposed to be green it is black when it is supposed to be blue it is blue when it is supposed to be red it is black and when it is supposed to be white it is red

its not noticeable at all except if you are looking hard for it

i played counter strike at 1280x720 and it looked great .. still have to wait to get my new video card before i try any other games in higher resolutions

only problem i have is that my ti 4400 is a little slow for the display.
when i play wmv9 hd clips or T2 i get little static lines in the display where there is high motion but if i overclock the video card to 300 core and 600 memory they go away...

i will be getting a component cable for my gamecube on monday so i can test out one of the progressive scan games i have... i hope it rocks

OPTERON said:
i will be getting a component cable for my gamecube on monday so i can test out one of the progressive scan games i have... i hope it rocks

Don't get too excited. I have my gamecube on my HDTV (4:3 native, with 16:9 mode) and to my knowledge it can't do widescreen, only 480p 4:3.

If you want HD consoling, go xbox But even the xbox only has a handful of 1080i games.

mine also has a REV: GI001 nex to the barcode. I am unable to open up the case and look at the panel directly. This should make it easier....

Tomji said:
mine also has a REV: GI001 nex to the barcode. I am unable to open up the case and look at the panel directly. This should make it easier....

Mine too. And I finally see the PE1240 you were referring to.

Keep us posted if you determine a tell-tale sign.

In the docs, I see there's a way to display the serial number:

OSD-> Management -> Serial Number

I've already packed mine up to take home, but maybe that will give some insight?

This is what I ordered from PCsuperdeals.com HP/COMPAQ's Part No: P9615A#ABA so that means its the 16ms model or 25ms?

Luckily I just checked the specs on my vidcard and it will actually go up to 2048x1536!

Karmakaze said:
I have a Quadro 900 at work (so basically a GeForce 3 I believe).

With my current drivers, there are a couple widescreen resolutions available (13XX x 786, 1600x900). But it appears that the card is really still emitting a 4:3 signal, because if I set the monitor to "Pixel to Pixel" (or even "Fit to Aspect Ratio") it scrunches everything into 4:3 mode (so everything is "tall").

So, I tried upgrading to the latest drivers and my machine no longer booted... So I'm back on older ones.

Can't wait to get it home and play _something_ at wide screen (most likely red orchestra)

Back