HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

Here's some shots for us all to drool over!

Click the pictures for full-res monster versions!

That's my "little" Toshiba P25-S507 with it's puny 17" widescreen to the left of the setup.

Now before you guys think I'm loaded or robbed a bank, the one on the left is going back tomorrow. I've been quiet since I asked all my questions about DVI, as my birthday was last week. Guess what? The Mrs. was ever-so-kind to pick up on my hints and got me an L2335 for my birthday. The problem was, the cardboard box was missing an entire flap and had been repaired with tape, and the bezel on the stand was scuffed up. So I called HP, got an RMA, and got a new one. I haven't sent the old one back yet, and the new one came today. So what the heck? Set 'em both up!

After laboring on a video card (I didn't have a DVI card yet), I decided to get the Radeon 9600XT at Circuit City this weekend for $139 after rebate. I'll save my pesos for the super-duper cards of the near future once they're released and all the dust settles.

This monitor is awesome! :) Thanks, hon!

Brendan

Last edited:
BrMiller, :D you iz, de Man !! :D
Wow. awesome pics. Congrats, and many hours of happy gaming !!
BTW-----by what magic, are you getting a piece of left-screen onto the right screen?
Any chance of a couple closeup Gameshots at very high rez, please?

Rim said:
BrMiller, :D you iz, de Man !! :D

BTW-----by what magic, are you getting a piece of left-screen onto the right screen?

Most likely he just spanned his desktop over the two monitors making it act like one big monitor.

No magic needed to have a window spread across both monitors. It's a basic feature of multi monitor setups. You don't even need to enable spanning (make 2 monitors act as 1).

Now if it were a movie you'd need to enable spanning, since overlay/vmr is limited to 1 monitor at a time (on most vid cards, unless you're using one of those Matrox cards with overlay enabled for upto 4 monitors at once).

here we go, more screen goodness :)

2small.jpg

4small.jpg

8small.jpg

And this is lcd junior..lol

7small.jpg

Mine still hasnt come in yet. Anyone know where they ship from? I looked at the UPS maps and it could get here as late as friday, but ups is always a day late here so maybe next monday :(.

The new top-end cards from Nvidia and ATI (like ATI X800 and Nvidia 6800) are in real, real short supply.
Can anyone here tell me, what card I can get NOW that can run that awesome 23" HP-L2335 at the super-high resolution "1920x1200" ----and do a decent job of it? Thanks.

Rim said:
The new top-end cards from Nvidia and ATI (like ATI X800 and Nvidia 6800) are in real, real short supply.
Can anyone here tell me, what card I can get NOW that can run that awesome 23" HP-L2335 at the super-high resolution "1920x1200" ----and do a decent job of it? Thanks.

Here's a list of cards that support IBM's QUXGA-W flat-panel:
NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL, NIVIDIA Quadro FX 1000, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2000, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3000.

Don't know what any of those cards cost though, but if it supports that thing, it would support anything else. But what's wrong with any card, most support 2048X1536 max, even a radeon 7500?

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=9503DG5&storeId=1

If you got $8400 to spare, then this 22.2 inch IBM display looks nice, 3840*2400 (204 pixels/inch)

Thanks for the positive comments, Rim. As to video cards, you're right, the X800 and 6800 are in short supply and pricey to boot. Someone made the comment that with what you pay for this LCD "you should easily afford a $500 video card". While that is normally true, and while I am for pairing the high-end with the high-end, I preferred to get the 23" LCD now, a reasonable video card to drive it, and wait 'til the high-end stuff comes down in price a little. I can always sell my current card on ebay and recoup some of the cost.

That's why I wound up with the Radeon 9600XT. I could have purchased a 9800, but they are another hundred dollars or so. In this thread a member said his 9600 pro lights up the 2335 in 1920x1200 using DVI, so I figured the 9600XT was a good buy. The 9600 PRO/XT also got a good mention in the DVI Compliance Shootout. So for under $150, I figured this was my cheapest way to full-screen victory.

Another note that is worth mentioning: the poster in the other Hard|Forum thread I referenced above indicated that he plays his games at 1024x768, so if you need fast frame rates at full resolution, the 9600 may be underpowerd. The 9800 may be underpowered as well, for all I know. But the keen eye will notice that in my shots earlier in the thread, my [temporary] dual-head setup is Linux/XFree86. So you can see I'm not a gamer. :( I know, you're all disappointed now. That's why coming up with a cool desktop/game shot would be hard for me. All I could show is a bunch of Java code (I'm an engineer). But the added real estated is a great asset to what I do, and I hope to enjoy this monitor for years to come.

Brendan

P.S. Cookie: Your display shots are awesome! Even though I don't play games, I still appreciate the action afforded these great displays. I especially lcd jr.!

brmiller said:
P.S. Cookie: Your display shots are awesome! Even though I don't play games, I still appreciate the action afforded these great displays. I especially lcd jr.!

Hehe thanks! The monitor seems to game as good as, if not better than, the Dell FP2001. Also playing games under non-native resolutions seems to work wonderfully also.

Heres an issue I have noticed with the screen. After a few hours of use, the top area of the monitor seems to get pretty darn hot causing this.

4smalllighting.jpg

Has anyone else witnessed this?

heh, yeah when the area has black its easiest to notice, hard to tell in the pic though, but the area becomes grayish.

brmiller said:
Here's some shots for us all to drool over!

Brendan

What is that white color thing on the far right next to the screen? Is it a towel hanger? :D

CookiePuss said:
here we go, more screen goodness :)

2small.jpg

cookie, what are those green pipes in the computer? Could you tell me? I've never seen a computer w/ any green pipes before.

Happy Hopping said:
that's just a viewsonic OEM, it's not useful for most people unless you do some kind of graphics design, fracto analysis, ray tracing, etc.

You can't see text at 3840x2400 on a 22.2" screen, as it would be an eye exam.

I'm actually a graphic artist at a newspaper. The photos we use are at 203dpi, and with the display being 204pixels and inch, then viewing images and pages at 100%, I'd actually be seeing everything in real size and sharper and more detailed than the final product on paper. But yes, menu items and icons might be hard to read.

Happy Hopping said:
cookie, what are those green pipes in the computer? Could you tell me? I've never seen a computer w/ any green pipes before.

They are vinyl tubes for watercooling :) The green color is from a mixture additive to help from algae growth and corrosion.

Been following this thread and the massive LCD one over at Ars and decided to bite the bullet as well. Ordered one from ocitech - at the price they offered it on ebay (about $100 cheaper than HP and others online vendors - I think someone else here posted they got theirs from ocitech, too, through the ebay auction). Anyway, received the monitor yesterday, plugged it in and...and...well, the photos speak for themselves:

hp1.jpg

hp2.jpg

As I recall, someone else had the same problem...guess a few bad units escaped through HP's quality control....I'm doing the HP return dance now - they said i could have a 'refurbed' one by tomorrow...no way, i paid for a new one, so i want a new one. So, have to wait a week for one now. *fingers crossed*

By the way, those who say use a pair of pliars to get the vga cable off that comes pre-attached, i find using a small flat-head screwdriver easier. It fits right into the the groove and screws right off.

- Kusanagi

Kusanagi said:
Been following this thread and the massive LCD one over at Ars and decided to bite the bullet as well. Ordered one from ocitech - at the price they offered it on ebay (about $100 cheaper than HP and others online vendors - I think someone else here posted they got theirs from ocitech, too, through the ebay auction). Anyway, received the monitor yesterday, plugged it in and...and...well, the photos speak for themselves:

hp1.jpg

hp2.jpg

As I recall, someone else had the same problem...guess a few bad units escaped through HP's quality control....I'm doing the HP return dance now - they said i could have a 'refurbed' one by tomorrow...no way, i paid for a new one, so i want a new one. So, have to wait a week for one now. *fingers crossed*

By the way, those who say use a pair of pliars to get the vga cable off that comes pre-attached, i find using a small flat-head screwdriver easier. It fits right into the the groove and screws right off.

- Kusanagi

Ouch man, that happened to someone else on this thread, he had 2 bars, and then got a replacement that had the same problem..lol.
So is hp gonna send ya a new one now?

Yea, HP said a new one should be here by next week - guess they had plenty of refurbished ones (wanted to send me a refurbed one at first) w/ new one's not in-stock right at the moment - so have to wait 5-7 days for a 'new' one. Here's hoping no 'black bars' 2nd time around...

- Kusanagi

I just got mine today. Im so happy i got a fully functional unit with no slow/dead pixels. Yay.

Happy Hopping said:
What is that white color thing on the far right next to the screen? Is it a towel hanger? :D
Hehehe. I think you're referring to a fluorescent light that is not plugged in. In case there were questions:

IMG_5892y.JPG

You may notice that both monitors are identified with problems. After longer inspection of the second (replacement) screen yesterday, it turns out that it had what only could be described as refresh problems. Frequently (once or more per second), the display would be streaked with pixel artifacts--reds, greens, blues--that formed horizontal lines a quarter- to half-inch in length. It was especially noticable with a black background (such as [Hard]|Forum).

Needless to say, I had to call support again. The technical support guy tried to tell me that 1920x1200 was not supported using DVI, and I tried to bust his chops on the fact that the blurb included with the monitor shows mode 23 CVT2.30MA-R as the way to do 1920x1200 on DVI. He didn't have the documentation, so I gave up with him.

I called my account rep, and he made it all better. I switched stands, and sent the 2nd one back!

Brendan

Is HP paying for shipping both ways when they replace the display?

I finally have the money to order the display but only if they do the 10% discount for me like they did for a couple of you guys. I only have $1600 to spend. Has anyone here that has asked for a discount been turned down?

In my case, yes, HP is absorbing the cost of the defunct monitor:

• Purchased first monitor = $1699 + shipping1
  • RMA'd first monitor; HP emailed UPS label for return shipping
  • Purchased second monitor = $1599 + shipping2
  • Sent RMA'd monitor back; HP will credit $1699 + shipping1 when they receive it
My cost: $1599 + shipping2 (~$30)

I live in a sales tax-free state, so that's all it was--a little over $1600. You might be able to ask the salesperson if they are running any specials, sales, or anything that can get your price with shipping under $1600, but this is the current going rate at HP direct. Others have found it for cheaper at other places and on ebay, but I'm so glad I bought direct for HP--if anything should go wrong, the Customer Care people and a guy that identified himself as a sales rep for Oregon have been super helpful. I think less of their technical support people, but the sales/post-sales department is awesome!

HTH,
Brendan

Lava Lamp Freak said:
Is HP paying for shipping both ways when they replace the display?

I finally have the money to order the display but only if they do the 10% discount for me like they did for a couple of you guys. I only have $1600 to spend. Has anyone here that has asked for a discount been turned down?

If you read my post above you'd have seen you can get it for $1,535.41 right off of the website.

I just called and placed my order. I got a 10% discount and free ground shipping so my total after tax is $1,572 and the display is in stock and will ship today. :D

CookiePuss said:
Ouch man, that happened to someone else on this thread, he had 2 bars, and then got a replacement that had the same problem..lol.

I am seriously questioning these cheap LCD panel made in China. Clearly, there is a serious problem w/ quality control.

IF these monitor were made in USA or made in Japan, this level of RMA simply won't happen.

The bigger concern is, if there is so many failure w/i the first few months of this monitor that just came out, what's the life expectany and future failure of this LCD w/i its 3 year warranty?

CookiePuss said:
They are vinyl tubes for watercooling :) The green color is from a mixture additive to help from algae growth and corrosion.

Is there a link to read more about this?

I received mine about 20 minutes ago. Initial impressions:

It's big. :)

No dead/stuck pixels that I can see, and I looked extremely hard.
Contrast cannot be adjusted when using DVI?

Compared to my Viewsonic VP171B this screen seems to be somewhat lifeless, but I'm sure I'll adjust. It is less bright even though I had the VP's brightness on the lowest setting. I really wish I could adjust the contrast just to see the range.

So far it's a keeper.

iwearnosox said:
I received mine about 20 minutes ago. Initial impressions:

It's big. :)

No dead/stuck pixels that I can see, and I looked extremely hard.
Contrast cannot be adjusted when using DVI?

Compared to my Viewsonic VP171B this screen seems to be somewhat lifeless, but I'm sure I'll adjust. It is less bright even though I had the VP's brightness on the lowest setting. I really wish I could adjust the contrast just to see the range.

So far it's a keeper.

Try hooking it up through VGA, or use the DVI-VGA cable and hook it up analog DVI if you want to play with the contrast. I think that the contrast is set to a normal level, making colors look as they really look. My sony hs93 has really bright vibrant colors, I was very surprised after switching to it from a CRT and everything looked different. It looks good and all but I was not seeing an accurate color representation.

I'm convinced most of these 'glitches, 'streaks' 'artifacts' are because a monster 23" panel, (with maybe 6 or 7 millions of pixels) is being powered by midrange video cards that might have been real powerful enough for 17", 19", 20" monitors, but are barely adequate for that 23" HP giant.

IMO a 23" 1920x1200 panel needs ATI 9800-Pro or higher. Preferably higher.
Midrange cards are likely to cause some artifacts no matter what the "2048x1535 specs" say on the box.
The poor cards are running flat-out on a monitor with a screen way too big for what they were designed to run on (15", 17", 19" screens).
Yes, it COULD be the 23" panel that's causing the 'artifacts', 'streaks, etc., but it ain't likely.

Powering a $1600 HP L2335 with a "nice midrange video card" is like running an expensive V12 Ferarri with a "nice 4-cyl engine".
(Yes, it'll start up, it'll move, it'll take you down the street-----but how well?)
You paid ~$1600 for newest biggest bestest LCD-----but "can't afford" to power it with an ATIX800 or Nvidia 6800 card or something in that class? :D Hmm :D .

You paid ~$1600 for newest biggest bestest LCD-----but "can't afford" to power it with an ATIX800 or Nvidia 6800 card or something in that class? Hmm .

True, but I know for fact that the black streak I had wasn't caused by the video card. I first tried it with VGA connection on my laptop - with a Mobility M6 chipset (ya sucky). When I first saw the black streak of dead pixels, I thought along the same lines you did and then plugged into another system using DVI w/ a GeForce 5900XT..same thing. So, I then tried it with my NLE workstation, with a nVidia QuadroFX card w/ DVI...same thing.

Since I wasnt the only one with the 'black streak/bar' problem, it definitely was something defective with the monitor and not due to the graphic cards powering it. You begin to wonder why HP has a 3 year warranty now and was pressing me for their HP total care service when I asked them about the warranty details...

However, I do agree with you that that powering this incredible display with a gfx card say more than a year old or using the VGA connection is a waste.

- Kusanagi

Rim said:
You paid ~$1600 for newest biggest bestest LCD-----but "can't afford" to power it with an ATIX800 or Nvidia 6800 card or something in that class? Hmm .
I basically agree, but until the the X800 or 6800 are available in enough quantity for prices to stabilize, what's a person to do? I expect this availability/stabilization will happen in a month or two, so until then, I'm happy buying an "upper-mid-range" card :) to tie me over. Until then, I'm not going to buy a 9800 Pro for $250 and then buy a X800 for $400-500 two months later...

Question though: If the streaks/artifacts show up at a lower resolution, say 1024x768, wouldn't that suggest there is a problem with the monitor? I mean, if you're not trying to outdrive your video card, and you still have problems?

Brendan

CookiePuss said:
Here, try reading this, should give you a better idea of what it is.
http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/watercool

thx for the link. I think it will be quite risky to have water inside a computer regardless of the gain in heat loss.

Did you have your cpu over clocked?

It's very interesting web site though. I never knew there is a non-cooling fan power supply, I wonder how well it functions.

dabomb said:
If anybody is interested how the inputs are on this monitor, I did some testing, and let me say the component input kicks ass!

System: Playstation2
Game: Madden 2004 (this game is 480i, it does not even even support enchanced definiation!)
Inputs Used: Component, Composite

Component:

<Insert Insane Quality Pics here>

Wow, can't believe Ive been missing out on that crisp clean picture off a 480 pixel interlaced signal! Can't wait to get hdtv hooked up to this thing
:D

SOLD.

Dammit, I was reading the whole thing thinking nice................ but not really worth it. You've just changed my mind.

I didn't know IBM sold that monitor though, I work for IBM I wanna see one.

Rim said:
I'm convinced most of these 'glitches, 'streaks' 'artifacts' are because a monster 23" panel, (with maybe 6 or 7 millions of pixels) is being powered by midrange video cards that might have been real powerful enough for 17", 19", 20" monitors, but are barely adequate for that 23" HP giant.

Most of your points are made moot by the fact that from what I understand the problems were present in 2D as well. Most Graphics card have the same speed RAMDAC and have done for at least a couple of years afaik.

Happy Hopping said:
thx for the link. I think it will be quite risky to have water inside a computer regardless of the gain in heat loss.

Did you have your cpu over clocked?

It's very interesting web site though. I never knew there is a non-cooling fan power supply, I wonder how well it functions.

If you get a good block and radiator especially its definitely worth it, else not really. If done right, your temps will be a few degrees above room temprature and load temps wont increase that much.

Yes im overclocked almost 900 megahertz, check my sig :)

This screen has been wonderful so far, and using it with dvi-dvi connection definitely is better compared to the vga adapters. Absolutely crisp in text display.

Back