HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

vandema said:
yeah thanks man....have beeing trying to get a new one/replacement...what an ordeal

Vandema, I'm real sorry to hear some filthy lowdown scumbag burglarized your house and stole your brand new HP L2335.
That is awful. My condolences, too. Do you have Theft Insurance for your house?

My L2335 needs a graphics card; has anyone seen the ATI X800 XT for sale? Where can I get one?

To those who have this monitor... what happens in say a game that doesn't support 1920x1200, but 1920x1440 (C&C Generals, Warcraft 3, and Warhammer comes to mind)? Can your display handle that resolution? And can it handle lower widescreen res like 1280x768? Like i've said, i've got a Sony GDM-FW900, which is a CRT 24" monitor... but i've been thinking about this monitor lately.

oddlycalm said:
One of the Ars Technica regulars is involved in the diplay line at BenQ and confirmed it is the same LG Philips panel. It is not the same DSP however, and those that have seen both feel the BenQ has the edge in scaling.
Bringing up an old post... according to the ExtremeTech reivew of the FP231W... it states:

It's worth noting that Acer-subsidiary BenQ has a "sub-subsidiary" of its own called AU Optronics, which manufactures LCD panels for it and other monitor makers. Many display makers buy their panels from LG/Philips or Samsung, but BenQ uses its own.

So, is it the same? Or different? :D

- Leo

This might be a question to ask under a different thread, but I'm interested in your guy's take on a comparison between the L2335 and an LCD TV like the Sharp Aquos LC-26GA4U. Until I read this thread I was leaning toward the Sharp, now I'm stuck. I've been looking for a device for PC stuff (70%), XBox gaming (30%) with the ability to watch TV in a PIP window and switch between them. With the price being just about the same, here are the major differences I see between the two screens...

- the sharp's native resolution is only 1366x768.
- it's a 26 inch 16:9 display as opposed to 23.
- contrast ratio is 800:1, brightness is 450 instead of 250.
- it has a built in tuner, detachable speakers, and a remote control

In general it seems that LCD TV's run at lower resolutions but have better brightness and contrast ratios. What's the better trade-off?

moralpanic said:
To those who have this monitor... what happens in say a game that doesn't support 1920x1200, but 1920x1440 (C&C Generals, Warcraft 3, and Warhammer comes to mind)? Can your display handle that resolution? And can it handle lower widescreen res like 1280x768? Like i've said, i've got a Sony GDM-FW900, which is a CRT 24" monitor... but i've been thinking about this monitor lately.

Moral,
24" CRT? wow that is a humomgous monitor.
Anyway, I'll quote from the official Hewlett Packard documentation that came with my monitor.
Here they are, the resolutions that my 16ms, super-duper, whiz-bang 23" HP-L2335 supports.....

640x480, 720x400, 800x600, 832x624, 1024x768, 1152x720, 1152x870, 1152x900, 1280x768, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1600x1000, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200.
:D However, if the game n' graphics card, doesn't put out one of these resolutions :D then of course the L2335 can't very well draw that rez, right? :D
Anyway, the above resolutions (assuming your using strictly DVI/DVI cable) the L2335 will display fullscreen with no distortion. The real low resolutions (640x480 etc.) will look pretty fuzzy on that huge screen----but they'll be perfectly-drawn, not 'distorted'.

I'm guessing here......
The rez that's not supported, (like that C&C rez you mentioned) it will draw a pic in that rez, and draw it either full-screen (w/slight distortion) or draw as perfect pic, but smaller and surrounded by black border.

Also there's a little "thingy" (I'm not into Audio Visual home theater stuff, so I dont understand what it is or what it does) you can get for $50-$75(?) that will make the L2335 display perfect 1080i pictures. I guess the home audio buffs use it for watching HDTV movies (or whatever). Go to the AVSforum.com and mouse around in Display forum till you find some LCD threads. (Look especially for the one called something like "1920x1200 LCD Roundup" because the audio buffs there go into incredible detail about how to make the L2335 do "perfect" 1080i movies..

vandema said:
yeah thanks man....have beeing trying to get a new one/replacement...what an ordeal

hey dude I think it was the cable guy. he probably cased the joint when he was there and then came back for the kill. think about it he has the perfect cover.

hk_shacker said:
I'd have to agree with HappyHopping there....that monitor, while nice and Sony and all that, is pretty appauling for much apart from static text :-P I was looking at that, a large Viewsonic and a massive IBM at a dealers not long ago...all very pretty but come on guys, 25 or less.....40 is like tar!!!

A few other things about Sony LCD:

I call them when I was looking for 23" LCD as at the time, I haven't heard of this HP. I made two contacts, one thru their 1-800 phone on their web, the other via email.

The Question is the same, how can it be 45 ms? Isn't it too slow?

At the phone conversation, you won't believe what that Sony guy said to me, he said 45 ms (Rise and Fall) is the time it takes for the monitor to turn on, not the refresh rate.

In the email, they evade the answer by saying I should look at the whole package, not just one feature. I probably still have that email around.

Then comes the Amazon review, go to a search at Amazon, there are "people" there that actually gave good review on this monitor, saying how superb it is to play computer games.

Now, how many of you is aware of an incident that was all over the news, regarding Sony hiring a "fake" person to do review on all kinds of Sony picture movies, until they found out the person who did the review doesn't exist, (the last draw was The Animal), and eventually that VP is fired?

Well, I am seeing the same pattern over here at that Amazon review and whoever pose that mesg. of how great that Sony LCD is.

Sony Trinitron is good, I'm using it right now, but their LCD? You can take a coffee break in between each screen refresh.

leobag said:
Bringing up an old post... according to the ExtremeTech reivew of the FP231W... it states:

It's worth noting that Acer-subsidiary BenQ has a "sub-subsidiary" of its own called AU Optronics, which manufactures LCD panels for it and other monitor makers. Many display makers buy their panels from LG/Philips or Samsung, but BenQ uses its own.

So, is it the same? Or different? :D

- Leo
It's NOT an AU Optronics - i don't now where Extreme Tech got their info, but according to AU Optronics, they don't have a 23" panel in their lineup, much less a 16ms one. I'm certain that if they DID have a 16ms 23" TFT panel that has been in production for months, it would show up on their site:
AU Optronics Panel lineup.

L.

Happy Hopping said:
A few other things about Sony LCD:
Sony ... LCD? You can take a coffee break in between each screen refresh.

Amen to that.
I recently saw the 23" Sony LCD monitor on display in Circuit City store. Price: $2400.
It had "40 ms Response Time" printed right on the official Sony tag.
And, instead of the standard "250 Brightness" rating (almost all modern panels have) the Sony was "200".
You should have seen the dull fuzzy screen. What a dog.
Sales guy said the model's been in stock maybe 8 months and he hasn't sold one yet.
But rumor has it Sony is coming out soon with a 16ms (23") competitor to the 16ms (23") HP L2335.
Bring it on, I say.
The more 23" panel competitors there are knocking each other over the head, the faster prices will drop.

Rim said:
Amen to that.
I recently saw the 23" Sony LCD monitor on display in Circuit City store. Price: $2400.
It had "40 ms Response Time" printed right on the official Sony tag.
And, instead of the standard "250 Brightness" rating (almost all modern panels have) the Sony was "200".
You should have seen the dull fuzzy screen. What a dog.
Sales guy said the model's been in stock maybe 8 months and he hasn't sold one yet.
But rumor has it Sony is coming out soon with a 16ms (23") competitor to the 16ms (23") HP L2335.
Bring it on, I say.
The more 23" panel competitors there are knocking each other over the head, the faster prices will drop.
They are merely updating the P232W with the same LG Philips panel used in the L2335, so it will perform similarly, but probably carry the usual Sony premium. Good thing is, it'll have a slimmer bezel than the P232W. :)

L.

moralpanic said:

You can set custom resolutions in most games. I play CnC Generals/Zero hour at 1920x1200. Looks amazing.

gullyrip said:
hey dude I think it was the cable guy. he probably cased the joint when he was there and then came back for the kill. think about it he has the perfect cover.

actually it wasn't the cable guy...though everyone i think is still suspect...this whole mess is as a result of my roommate who owns this condo (duplex)...like the idiot he is...he left his downstairs door unlocked allowing easy entry for...get this....a group of teenagers (4 of them)...one of which, just turned 18, is in custody...one was a girl who used my moisturizer which the police wont fingerprint...and one of them stole my beard trimmer...which is just gross....and to show how stupid they were they stole my wireless msoft keyboard/mouse but not the receiver...so they can't use it....and the only reason they didn't take my pc was because i had it inside the closet and cabled through a hole in the wall which was too difficult for them to unhook all the cables though they did rough it up in the process of removing the extension cable for the monitor...i calculated that i had the monitor for a grand total of 8 days...it's really disappointing

even though i didn't get anything back....my roommate got some of his stuff back...his ibook and some other stuff...and my attorney has now told me that in order to get compensated i have to sue my roommate for negligence and the value of the monitor....because i bought it on a debit card (no coverage), the distributor (no coverage butwe knew that) and HP was basically like "sucks to be you" but they took the serial number etc and logged it into the system.....and my roommate is telling me that his home owner's insurance won't cover my stuff.....but my attorney told me that because he lives on the premises...he is responsible...it's a big mess and i am moving...as far as i see it...i will start fall in hopefully a nice new environment....where i can get another L2335 and not have to worry about it being stolen....but this time...i will make sure to buy the notebook cable lock to use on the lock in the back of the monitor....

Vandema, that is a really tough deal, and you were no way at fault. Real sorry to hear you got so shafted..

vandema said:
actually it wasn't the cable guy...though everyone i think is still suspect...this whole mess is as a result of my roommate who owns this condo (duplex)...like the idiot he is...he left his downstairs door unlocked allowing easy entry for...get this....a group of teenagers (4 of them)...one of which, just turned 18, is in custody...one was a girl who used my moisturizer which the police wont fingerprint...and one of them stole my beard trimmer...which is just gross....and to show how stupid they were they stole my wireless msoft keyboard/mouse but not the receiver...so they can't use it....and the only reason they didn't take my pc was because i had it inside the closet and cabled through a hole in the wall which was too difficult for them to unhook all the cables though they did rough it up in the process of removing the extension cable for the monitor...i calculated that i had the monitor for a grand total of 8 days...it's really disappointing

even though i didn't get anything back....my roommate got some of his stuff back...his ibook and some other stuff...and my attorney has now told me that in order to get compensated i have to sue my roommate for negligence and the value of the monitor....because i bought it on a debit card (no coverage), the distributor (no coverage butwe knew that) and HP was basically like "sucks to be you" but they took the serial number etc and logged it into the system.....and my roommate is telling me that his home owner's insurance won't cover my stuff.....but my attorney told me that because he lives on the premises...he is responsible...it's a big mess and i am moving...as far as i see it...i will start fall in hopefully a nice new environment....where i can get another L2335 and not have to worry about it being stolen....but this time...i will make sure to buy the notebook cable lock to use on the lock in the back of the monitor....

Well since you put it that way. You definately know what happened. I thought you were looking for who did it. That's messed up that they could recover his stuff and not yours don't worry about it though. When you go around again something bigger and better will be out and you'll have that. My condolences but, in the meantime beat your roomates a@# :)

gullyrip said:
Well since you put it that way. You definately know what happened. I thought you were looking for who did it. That's messed up that they could recover his stuff and not yours don't worry about it though. When you go around again something bigger and better will be out and you'll have that. My condolences but, in the meantime beat your roomates a@# :)

oh yeah next time get that renters insurance no matter if you live by yourself or with a roomate. specially when into what we're it to.

Lestat said:
They are merely updating the P232W with the same LG Philips panel used in the L2335, so it will perform similarly, but probably carry the usual Sony premium. Good thing is, it'll have a slimmer bezel than the P232W. :) L.

Thanks for the news, but if they charge a premium price HP will kill them on sales.

Rim said:
Thanks for the news, but if they charge a premium price HP will kill them on sales.
I don't think so. Sony has a well established reputation, like Apple, so they can charge a premium on name alone. Considering their audio lineup is nothing spectacular, yet still carries a high price compared to what you get. HK, Denon, Onkyo, NAD, they all kill Sony on price/performance, and Sony still sells. So they will in the TFT business.

To be fair, Sony has a well deserved reputation for great monitors, but only CRT - they don't manufacture TFT panels, so for people in the know, there are no good reasons to buy Sony over HP, BenQ or Philips. (In this case, or a dozen others in the 20" and below space).

L.

Lestat said:
They are merely updating the P232W with the same LG Philips panel used in the L2335, so it will perform similarly, but probably carry the usual Sony premium. Good thing is, it'll have a slimmer bezel than the P232W. :)

L.

ooh, I would love to have sony's great menu system/buttons on my l2335. Oh well, the more 23" widescreens the better, we will see growing support for 1920x1600 resolutions in the future as more people buy these screens. It really is the optimal screen size for the multitasking pc user and multimedia use IMO.

dabomb said:
ooh, I would love to have sony's great menu system/buttons on my l2335. Oh well, the more 23" widescreens the better, we will see growing support for 1920x1600 resolutions in the future as more people buy these screens. It really is the optimal screen size for the multitasking pc user and multimedia use IMO.
Not to mention us 3DStudio and Photoshop users - i'm really excited about having a wider screen, since that means i can allocate PS's menus to the sides and not lose appreciable amounts of space. Same thing with 3DStudio where screensize is King. (You can zoom in almost as far as you want, that's the nature of 3D, so resolution beyond 1280x1024 is less important as that will fit all the toolbars, but on a physically small screen, you have to sit damn close to the monitor to see details when the vertices are very close).

L.

very well said. On that note, I should hold off on the 30" LCD purchase, now that I just bought a 19" Triinitron brand new. Probably by Spring of next year, there should be enough competition.

Who are the usual player in the 30" market? Apple, HP, may be Sony, Viewsonic. Can anyone thinks of some other reputable REAL brand name?

OK first post here:

I decided to buy this screen for myself and for the last week have been surfing for prices. I'd like to buy from HP or a very well respected online company who has the best price. HP has it now for 1599 (last week it seem to be back up to 1699).
So anyone have any reccomendations or know of any online coupons or offers?? I have found cheaper but anything I seem to find below 1500 is refurbished which I'm staying away from.

Thxs in Advance for any help

Lestat said:
I don't think so. Sony has a well established reputation, like Apple, so they can charge a premium on name alone. Considering their audio lineup is nothing spectacular, yet still carries a high price compared to what you get. HK, Denon, Onkyo, NAD, they all kill Sony on price/performance, and Sony still sells. So they will in the TFT business.

To be fair, Sony has a well deserved reputation for great monitors, but only CRT - they don't manufacture TFT panels, so for people in the know, there are no good reasons to buy Sony over HP, BenQ or Philips. (In this case, or a dozen others in the 20" and below space).

L.

Yeah, Sony sure has a well established reputation with me... I seem to recall buying a $300 portable/car CD player back in the day, 90 day warranty, broke after about 4 months. Brought it to a service center and was told that it'd be cheaper to buy a new one. Great, thanks Sony. Better can be found for less money IMO.

Toro said:
OK first post here:

I decided to buy this screen for myself and for the last week have been surfing for prices. I'd like to buy from HP or a very well respected online company who has the best price. HP has it now for 1599 (last week it seem to be back up to 1699).
So anyone have any reccomendations or know of any online coupons or offers?? I have found cheaper but anything I seem to find below 1500 is refurbished which I'm staying away from.

Thxs in Advance for any help

i'm an HP reseller so i can get it to you for: 1500.00 + 15.00 shipping...I'm backordered until the 10th. but these are NEW units, not refurbs.

cheers,

dave

Happy Hopping said:
very well said. On that note, I should hold off on the 30" LCD purchase, now that I just bought a 19" Triinitron brand new. Probably by Spring of next year, there should be enough competition.

Who are the usual player in the 30" market? Apple, HP, may be Sony, Viewsonic. Can anyone thinks of some other reputable REAL brand name?

Problem is that this is a new market. No one has had hi res 30" lcds before. There are plenty of 30" LCDTV monitors at 1280x768, but these new panels are sporting much higher resolutions. Of course, the usual suspects will be selling, but so far as I know these new 23" panels are all made by LG. Don't know about the 30" panels.

kamikazichaser said:
Problem is that this is a new market. No one has had hi res 30" lcds before. There are plenty of 30" LCDTV monitors at 1280x768, but these new panels are sporting much higher resolutions. Of course, the usual suspects will be selling, but so far as I know these new 23" panels are all made by LG. Don't know about the 30" panels.

The problem with hi-res 30" panels is you also need to create a market for dual-link cards or whatever you need to drive them at that high a resolution.

Excellent pt. , dabomb. Not only that, they have to make sure after someone thinking of a $3299 LCD, how much more he can take on a $600 video card? So it is important to have an acceptable price for a dual link video card that support at or near 2560x1600.

But then again, people like us are greedy. If there is such a video card, next thing you know, we'll be asking if the video card can support at or near 2560x1600 for up to 4 LCD, would we?

============

kamikazichaser: All 23 and 30 will be made by LG. But ea. OEM demands their own spec., for e.g., the HP spec. gives better features than the Apple.

dave_graham said:
i'm an HP reseller so i can get it to you for: 1500.00 + 15.00 shipping...I'm backordered until the 10th. but these are NEW units, not refurbs. cheers, dave

Good to hear that, Dave.
Will you keep an eye on this thread and post any 'superdeals' you might have, from time to time? Thanks.

BTW, the first card mfr to come out with "3 LCD support" will rule IMHO.
Just picture a 3-LCD "tank-battle-scene" in Comand & Conquer.
Your 3 LCDs are butted tight together (middle LCD right in front)..

In center LCD you see enemy's main panzer attack coming straight at you ....
your L-LCD and R-LCD show your armor rumbling forward in pincer attack on his flanks ....
explosions, tanks burning----stereo spkrs blowin' down the walls, neighbors callin' cops ... :D ahh, Heaven !! :D

Rim said:
BTW, the first card mfr to come out with "3 LCD support" will rule IMHO.
Just picture a 3-LCD "tank-battle-scene" in Comand & Conquer.
Your 3 LCDs are butted tight together (middle LCD right in front)..

In center LCD you see enemy's main panzer attack coming straight at you ....
your L-LCD and R-LCD show your armor rumbling forward in pincer attack on his flanks ....
explosions, tanks burning----stereo spkrs blowin' down the walls, neighbors callin' cops ... :D ahh, Heaven !! :D

Matrox has a Quad DVI card, QID and QID Pro. 1600x1200@60hz on each (I wonder if 1920x1200 w/reduced blanking is possible). But I doubt the 3d performance is all that great :p But even before that, games need more multidisplay support.

RIM,

I'll do what i can... :)

btw, i do sell Viewsonic VP201bs in 4pack modules....they come with a frame mount and allow you to mount them in any configuration. good stuff.

cheers,

dave

My experience with SONY CRT monitors was a 20" Sony that I bought for $1400. The waranty was for 3 years, the monitor lasted for 3 and a half years. I'll never buy a SONY again.

On the other hand, my original NEC Mulitsync lasted for almost 10 years before it became too obsolete to keep.

Lestat said:
L.

Drew23 said:
My experience with SONY CRT monitors was a 20" Sony that I bought for $1400. The waranty was for 3 years, the monitor lasted for 3 and a half years. I'll never buy a SONY again.

On the other hand, my original NEC Mulitsync lasted for almost 10 years before it became too obsolete to keep.
Generally, Sony has very good CRT monitors, and their F520 and FW900 were among the best CRT's you could get (though NEC/Mitsu's high-end FP series are in some respects better), but Sony has always had crappy service. That's their achillies heel, and oddly they don't seem to bother improving on it, at least from what i hear from friends on different fora.

L.

I had a sony cpd-520GS that I loved back when I was still using CRT. The monitor still works, I gave it to a friend. Funny story, the thing is so big, the monitor hasn't failed, but his desk has.

I tried the settings listed in this thread for doom3 on the 2335, briefly. Looks like an error trying to run that rez, according to the console output. Instead of getting it to work, I went to 1600x1200 instead, which still looks pretty good to me. :D I hadn't been playing doom3 on my home machine, while waiting for this panel to arrive. After playing it on this panel, with surround, I don't think I'll ever be able to play it on my laptop again.

It did play amazingly well on a slightly upgraded emachines 6805 laptop, though.

Can I check it out when you upgrade your bed room with that beast... heheheeh I live in NJ too...

Peter740 said:
Can I check it out when you upgrade your bed room with that beast... heheheeh I live in NJ too...
absolutely, looks like this screen will be out very very soon.

I saw two hot wide screen monitors yesterday at CompUSA: HP F2304 and Apple Cinema 23'' display. Apple looked a lot of brighter than HP. I tried to adjust HP's contrast and brightness but no luck. The Apple supports PCs too. But it's so expensive($1,999) and it only has DVI and USB ports. Well, just FYI. I read a review saying F2304 and L2335 actually have the same panel. If that's true, I wonder whether Apple is better in terms of the picture quality.

Another question - I searched the HP small business site and found no mentioning about its return and exchange policy at all. But at the check out it says something like exchange with 48 hours. Well that sucks! Is it true? Anyone who bought the monitor from HP small business?

ImLazZzy said:
I saw two hot wide screen monitors yesterday at CompUSA: HP F2304 and Apple Cinema 23'' display. Apple looked a lot of brighter than HP. I tried to adjust HP's contrast and brightness but no luck. The Apple supports PC too. But it's so expensive($1,999) and it only has DVI and USB ports. Well, just FYI. I read a review saying F2304 and L2335 actually have the same panel. If that's true, I wonder whether Apple is better in terms of the picture quality.

I do have a question though. I searched the HP small business site and found no mentioning about its return and exchange policy at all. But at the check out it says something like exchange with 48 hours. Well that sucks! Is it true? Anyone who bought the monitor for HP small business?

Not only that, but assuming that was the newer 23" Apple Cinema display, I believe that the Apple uses the same LG panel as the two HPs.

Lestat said:
Generally, Sony has very good CRT monitors, and their F520 and FW900 were among the best CRT's you could get (though NEC/Mitsu's high-end FP series are in some respects better), but Sony has always had crappy service. That's their achillies heel, and oddly they don't seem to bother improving on it, at least from what i hear from friends on different fora.

L.
Ture! I had a SONY 19" Multiscan back in 1997 which costed me a royal fortune but it was worth every penny I spent. Can't say the same thing to SONY's laptops though. Had a GRZ 610 and it was such a piece of Crapp even worse than Compaqs.

ImLazZzy said:
I saw two hot wide screen monitors yesterday at CompUSA: HP F2304 and Apple Cinema 23'' display. Apple looked a lot of brighter than HP. I tried to adjust HP's contrast and brightness but no luck. The Apple supports PCs too. But it's so expensive($1,999) and it only has DVI and USB ports. Well, just FYI. I read a review saying F2304 and L2335 actually have the same panel. If that's true, I wonder whether Apple is better in terms of the picture quality.

Another question - I searched the HP small business site and found no mentioning about its return and exchange policy at all. But at the check out it says something like exchange with 48 hours. Well that sucks! Is it true? Anyone who bought the monitor from HP small business?

Since I'm an HP reseller, I'll tell you what i know.

The pixel defect return ratio is rather high. HP won't support me unless it's > 8 dead pixels (that may have changed to 10)...the good news is that my distributors (not HP) are really good about fronting replacements without much effort....

so, it really depends on where you buy it from.

cheers,

dave

Back