HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

Pastry Chef said:
I believe there's something wrong with your monitor. I never heard any buzzing from mine.

I had one that started displaying a pinkish hue throughout the entire screen and could be reproduced if I "grab the sides with both hands and find the right spot and push there (gently)." I called HP on Monday and received a replacement on Wednesday. I am extremely pleased with the speed and professionalism of their serviced dept. Also, my original had two stuck pixels and the replacement is perfect, no stuck pixels, no dead pixels. :D

yeah, frankly, i tell my customers to get the panel registered ASAP since they can get replacements or repairs faster from HP than through me. :)

cheers,

dave

mhex said:
Just registered to post a few comments.. Great thread, I ordered an HP Also the monitor COATING is flawless, you can use it in daylight and it won't reflect anything. It behaves very much like the UltraGlass Screenfilter that I used on my older monitor, I was *very* impressed by this, I don't think they do coating better than this.
That's interesting, because the coating is exactly what's making me consider returning my FP231W. (BenQ's 23" with the same panel, only IMO a sexier design). I returned a 2080UX+ (same panel as the 2001FP, only made by NEC) for that reason, and hoped LG had cleared up what IMO is a flaw on the panel.
It makes large bright surfaces look kindof dirty because light is diffused through the coating like looking at one of those hologram cards.
It p*sses me off because everything else is so nice about the monitor, and i can't decide whether to return for a refund or live with it. :(

At least the fixed the interpolation lines on light colors that were present on the 20" version of this panel...

(Oh, and for the record, it's not a defect on my particular display, as i said i had a monitor that also used a LG-P 16ms panel, and it had the exact same coating).

L.

WuLabs said:
I can't get the DVI -> DVI connector to work at 1920x1200 on my ATI AIW 128Mb Radeon 8500 connected to my HP L2335. Right now i am running 1920x1200 in analog and it is fine.
When i run DVI-DVI, i get random colored lines popping up around the place
Wu, my Nvidia 6800GT card don't have "dual link" and my L2335 runs 1920x1200 DVI/DVI just fine.
Why? Because the card has "reduced blanking" support.
That's all thats required to get DVI/DVI 1920x1200 rez. (See the loose slip of paper that came in box with your L2335).

You said that ATI claims your 8500 "does have" reduced blanking.
Then you should be getting clear pic.
Your card or DVI/DVI cable must be defective.
Suggestion: I suspect your 8500 is long in the tooth. Buy a new ATI or Nvidia super-card. Your L2335 deserves it. :D

blisstik said:
dave_graham saiz the rebate ends the end of august but according to this PDF

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/pdfs/1310-1DT.pdf

from http://www.hp.com/go/rebate

that it ends 10/31/04

that's the mail in rebate, mate...not an instant rebate that HP provides its vendors...

i have nothing to do with that one...my rebate comes directly from HP and is not tied to the end user.

i can provide distributor verification of this if need be...

I'll let ya'll know what happens the 29th (i promise).

even with the price increase, i'm STILL cheaper than Newegg.

cheers,

dave

still 60.00 more than i charge (and I'm much better to deal with. :) )

buy.com is a pretty reasonable organization, but the fact that they don't come right out and specify a dead pixel or DOA policy is kinda irratating...At least newegg does that.

btw, 8 pixels or more or DOA and I return/refund.

cheers,

dave

Rim said:
Kraken, that NewEgg price is $60 more than the HP online Business store charges, about $160 more than Dave charges, and NewEgg "return policy" is nowhere near as liberal as HP's.

btw, Peter is getting a panel, RIM!!!

thanks for the lead...

cheers,

dave

DO NOT BUY FROM BUY.COM. They have totally gone down the toilet. Last week they had a one day sale for the monitor for $1494, so I jumped on it. They said they had it in stock and would ship today if I buy it today. So I did. Well they are full of poop. They didn' t even have it in stock. I have since cancelled my order, which I am not sure if its really cancelled since my order status still says 'Sent to Warehouse'. I have tried to contact them and all i get are pre-fabricated messages created by their webmasters.

I bought mine from CDW and I love it. I just don't know why I did not get this monitor sooner.

AVOID BUY.COM AT ALL COSTS!!!! :mad:

I would also like to address some of the peoples concerns regarding the 6800 GT and the 2335. All i have to say is don't have any concerns. I am using the BFG 6800 GT and it looks and works perfectly on this monitor. I have the monitor connected to a Belkin DVI KVM switch so that I can also use my Mac with the monitor. I have a 9800 Pro Mac edition card in my Mac and both look stunning. I get the full 1900x1200 resolution and the text, clarity and brightness are top notch on both.

The quality of this monitor is outstanding. :p

I also had a bad experience with Buy.com recently. Same deal - listed the monitor as in stock, ships the same day. A week later it was still unshipped. I cancelled the order. The whole time their website listed it as in stock.

This is how Buy.com operates - thier in-stock messages are meaningless, they have NO published phone number, and you can not outright cancel an order, but instead have to request a cancellation and then wait a few days for them to tell you they agree to it.

Go to resellerratings.com to see how truly terrible Buy.com has become.

I ended up buying from pcconnection.com and have been very happy with the experience. Great customer service and no sales tax to New Jersey (unlike Newegg).

hmmm interesting. I too actually jumped on that one day Buy.com deal for the L2335 at $1494, but have had a totally different experience. I ordered on a Friday morning, and recieved a personal phone call later that day to confirm that I had indeed authorized the order and it wasn't fraud, which I really appreciated as it is a fair amount of money. The friendly woman on the phone let me know that the monitor should get out to me by the following Tuesday, and that was that. The order status didn't show it being shipped until late Monday night, but they automatically bumped me up to overnight shipping to ensure that it would arrive on Tuesday! Sweet deal, they did everything they said they would do. By the way, when you ordered, was there a warning next to the In Stock status for you that said, "Very few left In Stock! Order soon -- product may sell out." When I placed my order, that warning was up...just a thought.

Sorry to hear some of you guys had bad experiences...hope that won't be the case for me later on, but so far the display is great! :D One stuck pixel, hardly noticeable, and the slight overheating issue that CookiePuss first pointed out earlier...did better ventilation (like a nearby fan) fix this for you?

Just joined the HPL2335 club, have a few questions for everyone.

How do I telescope the monitor height down? I cant seem to find the sweet spot to drop it down. I have seen pics in this thread where the monitor is fairly low to the desk surface

I've noticed some blurring/ghosting when playing vice city at the native res. Anyone else notice the same thing? The panel has been manufactured in April 2004 if that makes a difference although I have read that all 2335's are 16ms

Just got mine from PCConnection today!! :D

I just pushed down on the back -- .. the "bezel" I guess is what you call it.. and the screen went down. So I guess that's all you have to do. I wish there was like a manual showing me how to move this thing, I am kinda afraid to touch it :eek:

RAF said:
Okay, now that I have read a lot of reviews here on the HP 23" monitor and the "new" Apple 23 inch Cinema I decided it was time to offer my own first hand experience with them in hopes of helping someone who might be considering buying one of these badboys. I've also seen several posts claiming that the Appple and HP have the exact same image quality.

How do I know? Because I tried out 3 of these babies. The HP f2304 ($2100), HP 2335 ($1600) and the 23 inch Apple ($2200.00) give or take a few bucks and I was very impressed with them all. As for the HP f2304 I didn't need the HDTV/speakers (no true gamer uses monitor speakers anyway) and as it turned out it was about two inches to wide for my setup and needed to lose those speakers. Then I found out that the business section of HP had the 2335 model which has the "exact" same specs as the f2304 but without the speakers/HDTV monitor and was priced about $400 less.
I even made sure I was being fair to the Apple by adjusting the brightness to try and bring out those same details but couldn't. So without further ado.....the winner is the HP 2335.
Hey whats the differnce between f2304 and l2335 in regard to the HDTV part anyway? Could it mean 2304 performs better as a HDTV than l2335? Also, if they are basically the same panel, how come the viewing angles differ, which 2304 has 176 while 2335 has 170?? Advise me!

Has anyone reviewd the LG 23", that seems to be a very nice Monitor awsome design too. The 25ms is a bit high, but seems to be good. Are there any reviews?

Last night I tried hooking my XBOX up to the L2335 with the HD adapter and component cables. I set the XBOX to turn on the 480p, 720p, 1080i in the XBOX dashboard. Honestly I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the picture. Am I doing something wrong? Madden look terrible. There was nothing sharp about the image whatsoever. Yes I played around with the zoom settings on the monitor to see if that helped.

Hopefully someone can tell me something that I forgot to do to make it look better, because I don't see HDTV quality at all with the monitor.

Having the L2335 now for some weeks.I am noticing in the last days that it has got a kind of reddish color or i would even say a purple one on grey windows background.
Anyone got the same or maybe a hint how to get rid of it?
Can it be an Ati-driver problem?

System:
XP Pro (Design:XP-Silver-grey window backgraound)
Radeon 9600 Pro (4.8 Catalyst)
HP L2335 (6500K,Brightness:50%) DVI 1920x1200

Sorry for my english,i am posting from europe.

Mark

PS. Amazing Forum,found it occasionally by google.:)

jeffmace said:
Last night I tried hooking my XBOX up to the L2335 with the HD adapter and component cables. I set the XBOX to turn on the 480p, 720p, 1080i in the XBOX dashboard. Honestly I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the picture. Am I doing something wrong? Madden look terrible. There was nothing sharp about the image whatsoever. Yes I played around with the zoom settings on the monitor to see if that helped.

Hopefully someone can tell me something that I forgot to do to make it look better, because I don't see HDTV quality at all with the monitor.

I use the component inputs with my X-Box and have 480p, 720p, and 1080i turned on from the X-Box dash, as well. I have the L2335 set to "Fill To Aspect Ratio". Madden 2004 and Madden 2005 look great. It's much, much better than using the composite input. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I'm using the the the X-Box component cable that Monster Cable sells.

scorpiont6 said:
Having the L2335 now for some weeks.I am noticing in the last days that it has got a kind of reddish color or i would even say a purple one on grey windows background.
Anyone got the same or maybe a hint how to get rid of it?
Can it be an Ati-driver problem?

System:
XP Pro (Design:XP-Silver-grey window backgraound)
Radeon 9600 Pro (4.8 Catalyst)
HP L2335 (6500K,Brightness:50%) DVI 1920x1200

Sorry for my english,i am posting from europe.

Mark

PS. Amazing Forum,found it occasionally by google.:)

I experienced something similar. My image would intermitently turn pinkish. Eventually, I found that touching parts of the bezel would make this happen. I beleive that there was something loose in the monitor. I called HP and a replacement was sent to me in two days. I'm very happy with their service.

jeffmace said:

You need a game that supports high def, most support 480p, which isnt all that great. Find a game thats 720p or 1080i, and youll see the difference.

CookiePuss said:
You need a game that supports high def, most support 480p, which isnt all that great. Find a game thats 720p or 1080i, and youll see the difference.
Thanks for the reminder, Cookie;
It's necessary that the game as well as the monitor support the "format" we want to use.

Sky15 said:
Has anyone reviewd the LG 23", that seems to be a very nice Monitor awsome design too. The 25ms is a bit high, but seems to be good. Are there any reviews?
Sky, do you have a name, a model #, a vendor address, etc.?

perfektrtw said:
Just got mine from PCConnection today!! :D :eek:

Congratulations, Perfekt, you'll love it. :D How about some game pics, at hi-rez, when you get a chance?

Yea let me get it.

LG 23"/23V L2320A .25 1920X1200 LCD S-VIDEO DVI-I FLATRON (Silver/Black)

I have two major uses planned for a new monitor. First, I need it to display really crisp text from standard Msoft Office applications. I saw a F2304 in Microcenter and the font was not crisp on a document in MS Word. I'm praying it was because either the display monitor was defective or it was misconfigured. Second, I want to purchase a new ATI All in Wonder card and watch TV on it. Can someone tell me if they have successfully used an AIW card with this monitor? ALso, can anyone confirm that the only differences between the 2335 and the F2304 are the speakers and stand? Are the two monitors otherwise identical? I saw a references in the past 30 pages which suggested the F2304 was specifically designed for HDTV and inferring it was superior to the 2335 for TV viewing.

I appreaciate your help
-dolmanx

My new f2304 arrived this afternoon and I am impressed and disappointed at the same time. The monitor looks great and has no defects as far as the LCD is concerned. The picture is great and sharp at 1920x1200x32. I'm using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro via DVI. The display is nice and bright and I didn't have to adjust a thing. I cannot tell any differences color wise between this 2304 and the Dell P110 (Sony 21 FS CRT) its replacing. I've watched a couple DVD's and I haven't noticed any ghosting at all. BTW the DVI cable that came with this monitor is digital only. I think I read something in an earlier post about it being DVI analog capable.

Now for the disappointing part. I hooked up my OTA HDTV receiver (Samsung SIR-T165) and although static pictures are awesome, when there is any motion from side to side or up and down the picture studders. At least thats the best way to describe it. The picture will flow nicely for a couple seconds, hickup, and then continue on (repeat). Since this Samsung HDTV receiver has Component, DVI, and DS-15 outputs I tried them all. Same result. Just to make sure it wasn't the box itself I re-hooked the receiver back up to my Sony 52 inch HDTV up stairs and could not detect any studdering at all. Same program, same channel, same antenna.

I haven't fought with it too much because I really did not buy this monitor for watching HDTV. I didn't notice if there are any OSD tweaks for HD input but there isn't much you can change while in component mode. The manual lacks hardcore. You can throw it away and not miss anything. Sure, its nice to know that all kinds of tree-huggers approved of the manufacturing process that went into creating this beast but I don't need a pamphlet telling me so.

I have yet to hook the XBOX up and play a round of Heros in HD (does 1080) but I'm hoping I don't see the same studdering there.

Anyone else notice this problem, er feature?

I live in Australia and I just got my L2335. When i first turned it on, i was very pleased, no dead pixels and my 9800 XT ran it in 1920 x 1200 DVI with no problems whatsoever.

I was extremely happy with it for about 4 hours until suddenly while using for web browsing and entire strip of dead pixels - spanning the entire screen from left to right - suddenly appeared. Basically a whole line of black pops up and nothing i can do will make it go away ... i tried changing to the VGA connector, shaking it, applying pressure to the screen etc. ...

It looks permanent. I believe this problem was noted previously by someone else, but their problem was a thick strip of pixels and came straight out of the box. My issue is just a single line (1 pixel thick) spanning the whole horizontal left to right of the display and it only arose after a few hours of usage. darn .......

Now i gotta do the replacement dance with my dealer

Pastry Chef said:
I experienced something similar. My image would intermitently turn pinkish. Eventually, I found that touching parts of the bezel would make this happen. I beleive that there was something loose in the monitor. I called HP and a replacement was sent to me in two days. I'm very happy with their service.

Was the one which you got replaced from March 2004 - P9615A ?

Mark

scorpiont6 said:
Was the one which you got replaced from March 2004 - P9615A ?

Mark

Yes, the original one was manufactured in March 2004. BTW, I was wrong about the new one not having stuck pixels. I just found two last night... When the screen is black one pixel stays blue and another stays red. When the screen is any other color they work fine. :(

Got a question in general about lcds, I have the l2335 monitor running at native resolution (1920x1200 60hz). Because the refresh rate is 60hz does that mean anything over 60 fps does not matter? The lcd can only display 60 correct?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole refresh rate/fps combo. I know vsync would match up fps with your refresh rate but will the lcd display the fps over 60?

That hp L2335 is one fine big display!

... just sometimes it start to make soome noise ...

u then just TURN UP THE VOLUME ;-)

Back