HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

yeah... seems to be out of stock everywhere with a backorder date of ~1-1.5 months.

Is this monitor worth waiting that long for?

I've considered the NEC 23", but it's 16:9 which i'm not all that interested in.

also the dell u2410 which is OK, but ergonomically meh (no height adjustment), and wasn't impressed with the image quality when i saw it IRL.

in my price range, HP seems to be top dog (top out of stock dog)

pretty disappointed with HP's service right now. my rep refuses to return or answer my phone calls. maybe he got fired?

yeah... seems to be out of stock everywhere with a backorder date of ~1-1.5 months.

Is this monitor worth waiting that long for?

The new HP 24" IPS might be out by then. If you're not in a huge hurry might as well wait for that. I think pricing is in the high $400s--less than $500 anyway.

pretty disappointed with HP's service right now. my rep refuses to return or answer my phone calls. maybe he got fired?

Or maybe he's just a typical HP rep? No, I'm not bitter or anything :D

mentatYP: hahaha!! although i would wait for the new model, i heard it's NOT going to be wide-gamut which is my main reason for purchasing this monitor. I don't play many games and my main squeeze is getting my pre-press color-correct for print.

With the amazing technology in printing today having as much gamut as possible in a monitor is priceless.

i'm also very low on the publication totem pole so price IS an issue :)

i should mention that i HAD an fw900 for this kind of stuff, but it burned out about 6 months ago! currently i've been hobbling around with my disgusting glass/glossy unibody macbook pro display.

the agony

chris_n: It's a longshot, but maybe you can find a reasonably priced used Dell 3007WFP or Planar PX2611w?
I also see HP LP3065s for ~$800 on Ebay and from a few other sources. Not saying it's not substantially more, it obviously is, but it might be worthwhile for your purposes.

silent-circuit:

thanks for the input, although it sounds very appealing to me, considering the apparent inconsistencies (with my luck) it would probably be in my best interest to go for something that still carries a panel guarantee etc.

I will keep an eye out though.

update: i just noticed that they placed a hold for the full price of the monitor on my credit account.... so they better be shipping it soon or i will make an angry phone call. (like that will make a difference)

I own one of these (and love it) and like the variety of inputs. I am starting to rack up devices though and wanted to know if anyone's tried buying a displayport to HDMI cable and using it with this monitor. (see here http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024607&p_id=6012&seq=1&format=2 ) If I'm understanding what I've found through Google though, it seems that you need an output device for the DP end. Still, I'm curious if anyone's tried this with success or failure.

Well, I've got one of these and want a second one, but I'm having a hard time finding one in stock. I tried ordering direct from HP but they said it had been replaced by the zr24w. I don't think I want a zr24w because it's not a wide gamut monitor and would probably look weird next to my 2475.

Any options? Dell U2410 I guess? Start hitting up some of these weird small vendors that have one still in stock?

* Place the saved ICC profile in: C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color\

* Right click your desktop

* Chose 'Screen resolution > display parameters > advanced parameters > color management tab

* Check 'use my parameters for this peripheral'

* Chose 'Add', select the saved ICC profile, and set it to default.

* Click on the 'Advanced' tab in the peripheral profile, select the saved ICC profile, click 'OK'

I posted about my experience some time last year. I currently have my 5th display, (which I have had since last year), after which I just gave up trying to exchange it for a better one.
It has some pixel defects. There is some screen uneveness on a light background, but not too bad. I finally accepted I would have some defects and not be able to get a monitor without them.

The reasons for my belief in this are:

1. Buying a new one of these monitors without defects is a lottery.
2. If you return and exchange it, you receive a monitor someone else has returned due to defects.
3. Returning a monitor for a better one is also a lottery. This can occur numerous times for each monitor that you return. The HP handling area simply rotate the returned monitors, in the hope that each one will be finally accepted by a previously disgruntled customer. Customers do finally get sick and tired of all the mucking around that is involved, and I'm sure that is what HP bank on. The exchange process is reasonable, but expectations of a flawless monitor are pointless.

Judging by comments on the Dell U2410 which has a similar panel, the screen uneveness is a problem which is endemic in the type of panel and not a retail brand defect. It is a pity that professional reviewers don't reveal these issues at the time of review. It would also help if HP would make these panels "User Updateable" for firmware and also describe what improvements each of their hardware and firmware revisions are doing to the monitor.

My monitor has on the rear, a handwritten sticker GIG143. How do I know if that "revision" is legitimate? It could have been put there by anyone, with the intention of making it appear to be an "improved" version when in reality, nothing has changed. My opinion is that this part of HP's business is rather unprofessional and does not operate at a level which gives customer satisfaction.

I think the product could have been a good one. I am reasonably happy with the monitor. But to change it 5 times to be reasonably happy with a somewhat defective product, means I would think very carefully before purchasing another HP product.

Last edited:
I posted about my experience some time last year. I currently have my 5th display, (which I have had since last year), after which I just gave up trying to exchange it for a better one.
It has some pixel defects. There is some screen uneveness on a light background, but not too bad. I finally accepted I would have some defects and not be able to get a monitor without them.

The reasons for my belief in this are:

1. Buying a new one of these monitors without defects is a lottery.
2. If you return and exchange it, you receive a monitor someone else has returned due to defects.
3. Returning a monitor for a better one is also a lottery. This can occur numerous times for each monitor that you return. The HP handling area simply rotate the returned monitors, in the hope that each one will be finally accepted by a previously disgruntled customer. Customers do finally get sick and tired of all the mucking around that is involved, and I'm sure that is what HP bank on. The exchange process is reasonable, but expectations of a flawless monitor are pointless.

Judging by comments on the Dell U2410 which has a similar panel, the screen uneveness is a problem which is endemic in the type of panel and not a retail brand defect. It is a pity that professional reviewers don't reveal these issues at the time of review. It would also help if HP would make these panels "User Updateable" for firmware and also describe what improvements each of their hardware and firmware revisions are doing to the monitor.

My monitor has on the rear, a handwritten sticker GIG143. How do I know if that "revision" is legitimate? It could have been put there by anyone, with the intention of making it appear to be an "improved" version when in reality, nothing has changed. My opinion is that this part of HP's business is rather unprofessional and does not operate at a level which gives customer satisfaction.

I think the product could have been a good one. I am reasonably happy with the monitor. But to change it 5 times to be reasonably happy with a somewhat defective product, means I would think very carefully before purchasing another HP product.

My personal experience with trading my GIG045 under warranty was terrible as well. I trade it expecting to get a bug free firmware. But when i checked the monitor firmware, it was just another buggy firmware i had gotten. So i called back complaining for a proper replacement with one that had a bug free firmware version. They just give the excuse they didn't have it in the warehouse and gave me the choice of getting back my original monitor or keeping the one they traded with me.

I don't understand why they refuse to update the firmware of the monitors in their warehouse :(

Does anyone have a list of the lp2475w firmware versions ?

update:

I just received a new replacement. Testing with an lcd program to detect dead pixels, it turned out ok. I don't see any green or pink blotches on it on any color. Even checking at wide angle i can't seem to see any purple shading :x only maybe a white one but barely (but this is expected considering there is no polarizer).

The electrical port outlet seems sturdy and there is no electrical buzzing.

All that aside, this is a hardware revision: GIG122, Firmware: GIG045 manufactured in 2008. Backlight says it's been on for at least 295 backlight hours.

I am guessing this is one of the older panels with a higher latency then the 2009 date manufactured types :/ think i should risk asking for another replacement ?? Or settle with this >:d ?

Last edited:
I am guessing this is one of the older panels with a higher latency then the 2009 date manufactured types :/ think i should risk asking for another replacement ?? Or settle with this >:d ?

Check upthread, a few pages ago (the other thread is linked to): someone did a quite extensive comparison between an 'old' LP2475W vs a 'new' LP2475w and found _NO_ differences in latency at all...

If you have evidence there is indeed a difference in latency between 'older' and 'newer' LP2475w's, I'd be very interested in it...

Regards,

Patrick.

Just an update. After about 4 months of use (1,023 backlight hours to be exact) my unit developed a dead pixel in the near-center of the screen. After a bit of phone tag with HP I finally got to the right department and they're sending a courier with a new monitor to my home and swapping my unit out for a new one. Now that's standing behind your product. :)

And as for input lag, on a GIG 153 panel, GIG 072 firmware input lag is still very much here, albeit low (25-35ms). Worst it does is mess with my aiming slightly, but I've since become accustomed to it and don't think about it even while playing Left 4 Dead or BFBC2.

Last edited:
Got back a brand new GIG112 panel (September '08) with 077 firmware. I notice no difference except less IPS glow, and better blacks. (?!)

Sorry everyone for reviving this (old) thread but i have a question.

I just got my 2475W Monitor last monday and i am very happy with it, no green/red glow, no stuck or defective pixels and its great when you calibrated it properly.

Production date : may 2010
revision GIG173
firmware GIG078

I have just one thing that really bugs me. I have connected my PS2 on the component connections. I got an image and its better than i expected but i can't set it to use full screen. I can choose between :

1:1
Fill screen
Fill screen with aspect ratio.

If i choose both full screen options it doesnt use the full screen. I still got black bars on top and bottom and both sides.

Isnt there a way to stretch the image like you could on older CRT monitors so it will use the full screen ?

I've had my two ZR24w's for about a month now, and in my experience they were awesome right out of the box. To me the black level is kind of crappy, but not very noticeably different than the Dell U2410. I didn't even need to mess with the color settings because the factory sRGB just felt right.

The one issue is that these monitors will COOK YOUR FACE if you get too close to them. I mean they are h-o-t. You can feel the radiation pouring off of them.

Other than that, they're awesome! Being able to turn off the power LED is a nice touch too.

I have read a review about this display and it says that sRGB emulation does not work. But I heard that HP released a lot of hardware and firmware revisions. Does sRGB color space emulation work correctly with new revisions?

Another rumor that this display supports 1920x1200@72Hz mode through DP connection. But that story mentions a test with a professional FireGL VGA card. Can I use this mode with a consumer HD5 series Radeon card?

Is it made with a native 10 bit (like U2410), 8+2 (dithered) or "simple" 8 bit H-IPS panel?

I would like to decide between HP LP2475W and Dell U2410. I can test the second one today but I didn't see the LP2475W personally. Should I wait and test it?
sRGB emulation would be important for me but I don't like the 3:2 RFC with Blu-Ray movies so 72Hz would be a big word as well...

I heard that 72Hz support may varies with hardware and firmware revisions. So, I would ask about the latest revision (which I think I can and may be want to buy...)

does anyone know how to apply ICC profiles in Windows 7. I followed the 2nd post on the thread http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7desktop/thread/71b8d8e8-afa3-435a-aae4-6a8a184b6439 and the profile didn't seem to apply after that. Also, do these profiles work in games/media player classic? or only when in desktop?

assigning it in W7 doesn't do a whole lot other than inform a few color-managed programs what the monitor display is like

a few color-managed programs will see the measured monitor response part of it and use that, some others will need to be specifically pointed to the profile; only a few color-managed programs make use of this part

you need a LUT loader to load the gamma/basic white balance ramp into the video card, since it gets loaded into the video card almost all programs will automatically make use of this once it has been loaded, however blu-ray software and games dump it out and make use of zero parts of an ICC profile.

After owning this display for a while now I get some weird staining down the right hand side. It seems consistent but sometimes fades away. I have not been able to figure out if it is IR or not. It does not look like anything that I have displayed on the screen.

EDIT: Right after I type this reply I go back to the page it looks the most pronounced on and it's gone. Weird. It seems to come and go at will. It's not the page either (Tested in some test images).

Last edited:
After owning this display for a while now I get some weird staining down the right hand side. It seems consistent but sometimes fades away. I have not been able to figure out if it is IR or not. It does not look like anything that I have displayed on the screen.

EDIT: Right after I type this reply I go back to the page it looks the most pronounced on and it's gone. Weird. It seems to come and go at will. It's not the page either (Tested in some test images).

Yes I have this issue too, it seems to happen when the monitor has been on for a few hours. I am going to try to get it fixed under warranty. Is there a specific number to call in the US for business support?

I've taken a picture below using my iPhone. The quality is not very good but you can see the problem on the right side of the monitor. Anyone else experience this?

mobilephotojun252010240.jpg

Mine is not like that. Mine looks more like image retention and comes and goes. Yors looks a bit like my NEC used to look at the top. Like seepage or the front of the screen coming unstuck or something similar. That looks like a warranty situation for sure.

I just received my replacement but it's not what I expected.

The screen is now glossy? :confused::confused:

The model number is exactly the same, HP LP2475w. But I don't get why it's glossy. The FW version is GIG077 and the manufacturing date is Dec 2008. GIG122 hardware revision in the back of the monitor.

29891924.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know of any other 24 inch IPS panels which are glossy besides the Apple Cinema Display. I don't think HP even manufacturers any IPS panels which are glossy. Anyone with a newer LP2475w encounter this issue?

Ok I think I know what's up. The LCD is lacking the AG coating. I wonder if someone removed it and then returned it to HP or if it's a screw up from the factory.

Ooo. If it's cleanly not there (no defects, just no AG), put it up on eBay or something. I've seen some crazy people go to great lengths to get the AG coating off their panels, and it doesn't always go well. You might be able to sell for a profit, though that's obviously a very niche market... Worth a try anyway.

Ooo. If it's cleanly not there (no defects, just no AG), put it up on eBay or something. I've seen some crazy people go to great lengths to get the AG coating off their panels, and it doesn't always go well. You might be able to sell for a profit, though that's obviously a very niche market... Worth a try anyway.

Yeah it's actually pretty clean. There are no dead pixels that I can see or scratches on the monitor. Staring at a blank page or Lagom's viewing angle test I can tell that the top and right side is slightly pinker and the bottom and left is slightly greener. This should come as no surprise to LP2475w or U2410 owners since none of them seem perfectly uniform. I exchanged the monitor about 5 times when I first bought it in August 2008 and never got a perfect one.

After using it for awhile I've noticed blacks are really really black. On HardForums it's pretty much pitch black. Whites don't look "dirty". The difference when I first loaded up Google's search page was pretty pronounced. I have a 2209WA next to this and the page on the 2009WA looks grainy.

If you've seen what the 24 inch Apple Cinema Display looks like it's very similar. I'm leaning towards asking for a replacement though. I've been contemplating selling this monitor for awhile now to move towards a monitor that's either SRGB or has a working emulation mode. Like you said the market for no AG monitors is pretty niche. It's going to be hard to explain to a normal buyer why the monitor is so glossy when it's matte in all the reviews and pictures online.

But if someone is interested they can let me know.

Last edited:
Ok this is like my 3rd or 4th replacement for the HP LP2475W monitor.

I replaced just before warranty was up and luckily as well.

LGD H-IPS LM240WU4-SLA1 1920x1200 5ms G2G 3000 : 1 (DCR) 400 178/178 16.7m (8-bit) 102%

Source:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_parts.htm

This is my new panel. It's the latest :D

H/W: GIG 183
F/W version is GIG 078

Manufactured June 2010

Hehe no problems, although it doesn't instant boot up ( 20 seconds to power up screen ), the panel specs say the latency is the lowest yet :D

No defects in the panel even after calibration, so i am happy with the new replacement :D

My previous replacements were old models, so i was surprised i got a brand new monitor manufactured in June 2010 :D

My first calibration results i managed to get contrast 600, and color accuracy in the green bar when using basiccolor :D

Well here's another (albeit a month late) update. About a day after I had my second monitor I noticed some more dead pixels and stuck subpixels (2 dead, 4 stuck) so I got to put up with another hour of "let's play transfer your call and hope you don't get disconnected"! After speaking to a tech they agree to send another panel out. Call Friday, the delivery guy's here the next Wednesday again.

This time I got a GIG143 panel/hardware with GIG077 firmware. Had 0 backlight hours on it when I looked in the Information menu to my delight. :D Manufactured May 2009. Looks better than the other two I had and no dead/stuck pixels, but the green/pink gradient is still present, but barely noticeable. Here's to hoping it stays that way. /fingerscrossed

I just received my replacement but it's not what I expected.

The screen is now glossy? :confused::confused:

The model number is exactly the same, HP LP2475w. But I don't get why it's glossy. The FW version is GIG077 and the manufacturing date is Dec 2008. GIG122 hardware revision in the back of the monitor.

29891924.jpg

WTF? Never seen this before. Perhaps they replaced the panel with a glossy one since it was all they had? Someone removed the AG coating off it (very difficult to do without damaging the panel but possible)? I dunno...

Wow, I would have killed to get that glossy LP2475w!!! How did that happen?! I returned my LP2475w months ago because the AG sparkle/grain/dust on it was RIDICULOUS.

I've been contemplating selling this monitor for awhile now to move towards a monitor that's either SRGB or has a working emulation mode.

Why move to an sRGB display? You're losing a range of colors with that, aren't you?

I'm considering this monitor to replace my LG L246WP. That's an sRGB display, but rather grainy for me. This one seems to have better color, better backlighting uniformity, better viewing angles, and more inputs (but same input lag on both, which is good enough for me).

If sRGBs really are better (Not sure why, hence me asking) I suppose the choice would be a ZR24W -- but it's got comparatively worse backlighting bleed.

Thanks!

This monitor rocks - color and brightness are awesome. I might pick up a second on soon. :D

Yes I have this issue too, it seems to happen when the monitor has been on for a few hours. I am going to try to get it fixed under warranty. Is there a specific number to call in the US for business support?

I've taken a picture below using my iPhone. The quality is not very good but you can see the problem on the right side of the monitor. Anyone else experience this?

mobilephotojun252010240.jpg

My monitor is doing the same! It started just a week ago! I can see that dark line on the right side of display too when my pc is starting up, anyway it goes away in few seconds.
I don't know what to do now! ..Asking for a replacement or not!? I bought it 1 year ago and had been happy with it so far.

I received a replacement due to a similar defect. New Panel works fine. So far so good.

Last edited:
That picture shows exactly what i see on my lcd with classic blue desktop background and the unusual dark spot on the right. Its similar. Well I'm thinking about a replacement crossing fingers about facing any new problem with it.

Last edited:
Back