I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

hmm... just noticed something...

looks like the PSU exhaust which can be quite warm would just float up right into that intake fan and back into the case...

unless there's a barrier on the front cover of the case

stormshadow said:

looks like the PSU exhaust which can be quite warm would just float up right into that intake fan and back into the case...

unless there's a barrier on the front cover of the case

that fan is an exhaust

air comes in from the back and out the front

Ok, I just got this case. 8800GTX fits fine. This case is just as long as my PC-65B (which also fits 8800GTX), but it's about 3 inches shorter.

The PSU's with the 120mm fan on the bottom.. Are they an issue in this case? Which way are they oriented? I assume they are at least partially blocked by something.

If your PSU has a 120mm intake fan on the bottom, the fan will be facing the bottom of the case by default. However the PSU bracket is reversable... so you can mount the PSU with the fan either facing up or down.

in reference to the PSU... i'm guessing that if you orientate your PSU so that the intake 120mm is on the top, some of the intake of the case (front mounted 120mm) would draft to the intake of the PSU...

Front 120mm fan is exhaust. Like the poster above me stated, airflow is from back to front in this case.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

khanable said:
Ya, between two people with this case we should atleast get one pic of a fully loaded rig!!

I'm still so so so tempted to toss my main rig in there, but I think a blow hole should be done to keep a good airflow on the video cards.

The case is ready for the lian li video cooler unit that vents air outside of the case... but I don't have one of those on hand :(

Ockie said:
The case is ready for the lian li video cooler unit that vents air outside of the case... but I don't have one of those on hand :(

I'm not too familiar with their products, so I jumped over to their site, and didn't see anything like this. Could you link this cooler you're talkin about?

I can confirm this chassis will fit an 8800 GTX with the HDD installed in the top slot (that's the only one that I was worried about.) The end of the PCB clears it fine and sits a few mm above the end of the HDD.

More Lian Li innovation... Great cases. Mounting the mobo right side up makes heat pipes work a bit better too. Moving the PSU to the front lets you use an aftermarket HSF too unlike the PC-V600.

I'll bring my camera from home tomorrow and post a pic.

aburgard said:
More Lian Li innovation... Great cases. Mounting the mobo right side up makes heat pipes work a bit better too. Moving the PSU to the front lets you use an aftermarket HSF too unlike the PC-V600.

The upside down heatpipe thing is a myth.

Ockie said:
Is there definitive proof of that somewhere? I'm not trying to be an ass, but I found numerous sites that say it IS an issue. They're mostly hearsay or didn't have evidence to back up said claims, but even so I didn't find anything to the contrary. I'm curious why you think it's not an issue to mount heatpipes upside down.

saan44 said:
Is there definitive proof of that somewhere? I'm not trying to be an ass, but I found numerous sites that say it IS an issue. They're mostly hearsay or didn't have evidence to back up said claims, but even so I didn't find anything to the contrary. I'm curious why you think it's not an issue to mount heatpipes upside down.

On solid metal heatpipes it is not an issue, but theoretically those heatpipes that actually utilize evaporative liquids should perform sub-par. I do remember Zalman GPU coolers when they first came out had warnings against utilizing the solution in the wrong orientation which would degrade performance.

The last Asus board that we cut the tubing on was solid, though.

ChrisMorley said:
On solid metal heatpipes it is not an issue, but theoretically those heatpipes that actually utilize evaporative liquids should perform sub-par. I do remember Zalman GPU coolers when they first came out had warnings against utilizing the solution in the wrong orientation which would degrade performance.

The last Asus board that we cut the tubing on was solid, though.

I guess you didn't really read that wiki...true heat pipes have a wick which transports the working fluid by capillary flow to the heat source REGARDLESS of the orientation. Heat pipes that lack a wick will not perform correctly when inverted from their originally intended position. Example: the heat pipe on my AT8 northbridge was not wicked and the temperature of the northbridge would get to 48C just idling. Whe I swapped it for my zalman nb cooler, temps dropped back to the 30's. If you cut a "heatpip" and you find that it's a sollid copper or aluminum rod, it's not a "heatpipe" it's a copper rod, there's a difference, and if asus really is uesing solid copper rods, they could possibly be decreasing the heat transfer performance of their cooling system.

ryboto said:
I guess you didn't really read that wiki...true heat pipes have a wick which transports the working fluid by capillary flow to the heat source REGARDLESS of the orientation. Heat pipes that lack a wick will not perform correctly when inverted from their originally intended position. Example: the heat pipe on my AT8 northbridge was not wicked and the temperature of the northbridge would get to 48C just idling. Whe I swapped it for my zalman nb cooler, temps dropped back to the 30's. If you cut a "heatpip" and you find that it's a sollid copper or aluminum rod, it's not a "heatpipe" it's a copper rod, there's a difference, and if asus really is uesing solid copper rods, they could possibly be decreasing the heat transfer performance of their cooling system.

Oh, I read that correctly, and without that wick thermal conductivity would be 1/80th of the performance if the coolant is 100% evaporated and you're relying solely on the conductive properties of the tube - which is how a heat pipe could be ineffective in an upside down position...it overheats and doesn't have a wick.

saan44 said:

Because in many applications heatpipes are upside down or the heat is pushed to a lower property than the cooling source. A heatpipe uses a wick inside of it, at least a real one does. There is the chance that you could have some immitation heatpipe that contains no wick or no fluid, in that case you are sol anyways as rising steam isn't going to be doing you any good since you do not have enough internal surface area to make contact with.

Try this next time, stick a wick in water and you will see that water will follow the wick all the way up to the top... this is in essence how they work.

I know there's a 7950 GX2 in these pictures, but I put in a dead 8800 GTX to verify that it would fit with the top HDD populated, and there was no issue.

thx for the pics ...
what model PSU is that?

and do i see some kind of spacer / pad btwn the PSU and the front of the case?

stormshadow said:
thx for the pics ...
what model PSU is that?

and do i see some kind of spacer / pad btwn the PSU and the front of the case?

There's a recessed mount for the PSU to allow for the power adapter. It's our branded 500W PSU...

ganstafm said:
wow good wire management for size

Yeah, and I did no wire routing whatsoever, just shoved them behind the PSU - you could flip the PSU to have the cables be closer to the other side of the chassis which would help too.

ChrisMorley said:
There's a recessed mount for the PSU to allow for the power adapter. It's our branded 500W PSU...
oh. I see.
this really is screwing w/ my space limitation calculations... :(

so that spacer is necessary to make room for the power cord correct? and that's supplied w/ the case?

and not to be a pain but do you have the length of the your VM PSU? I need this to estimate how far the PSU will intrude into the case...

thx. Chris.

stormshadow said:
oh. I see.
this really is screwing w/ my space limitation calculations... :(

so that spacer is necessary to make room for the power cord correct? and that's supplied w/ the case?

and not to be a pain but do you have the length of the your VM PSU? I need this to estimate how far the PSU will intrude into the case...

thx. Chris.

It's a normal size PSU that should be the same size as just about everything else out there, with the exception of PCP&P and Enermax 1Kw.

And yes, the spacer is included along with the power cable extender...

ChrisMorley said:
It's a normal size PSU that should be the same size as just about everything else out there, with the exception of PCP&P and Enermax 1Kw.

And yes, the spacer is included along with the power cable extender...

Do you think a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 would fit?

Oh god, I think I know what my next system is going in (sometime next year).

And it'll complement my big 65b anyway.

Not a big fan of external ports on the tops of cases, although if the case is close to the floor or below you, it's a lot more convenient.

I'm really liking the way this case looks!

I might actually end up getting this one for my next build, but,

how would one go about putting a watercooling system into this system? Since the airflow is back to front, the radiator would have to be in the front of the machine.

Is there enough room? does anyone else have any thoughts on this case and watercooling?

h41cyon said:
I'm really liking the way this case looks!

I might actually end up getting this one for my next build, but,

how would one go about putting a watercooling system into this system? Since the airflow is back to front, the radiator would have to be in the front of the machine.

Is there enough room? does anyone else have any thoughts on this case and watercooling?

Or you can mount your rad on the top of the case. If you are willing to sacrafice a optical drive space, I'm sure you can fit a 3 x 120 in there.

ChrisMorley said:

I know there's a 7950 GX2 in these pictures, but I put in a dead 8800 GTX to verify that it would fit with the top HDD populated, and there was no issue.
what are the specs on this bad boy. i see your using the new 650i asus board, how do you like it?

this case looks good and i'm just amazed at how much stuff you can pack into it. but it looks like watercooling it might be a problem if you wanted it to be completely internal, might have to mod it a little for that. but thats why theres external :)

Ockie said:

I traded emails with Asus on their EAX1600XT and Thermalright on their V1-Ultra. Both said NOT to mount them inverted because their heatpipes were not wicked.

Wicked heatpipes like the H3 VGA cooler are fine in either position.

ChrisMorley said:

that thing is hot!
looks like you can still get good airflow in that sucker ;) :D

aburgard said:
I traded emails with Asus on their EAX1600XT and Thermalright on their V1-Ultra. Both said NOT to mount them inverted because their heatpipes were not wicked.

Wicked heatpipes like the H3 VGA cooler are fine in either position.

So then I'd suggest you stay away from those products as they don't even have real heatpipes.

Makes me wonder how many companies just uses a copper pipe and calls it a heatpipe and sells it for more.

none of the pictures seem to work for me, could you host somewhere else? :O

Pics work for me! :confused:

Sexy case, and thanks for the pics. I think I might even get one for my other rig. Super nice and ultra sleek, like my other Lian Li. teh sex.... :eek:

aiya said:
what are the specs on this bad boy. i see your using the new 650i asus board, how do you like it?

this case looks good and i'm just amazed at how much stuff you can pack into it. but it looks like watercooling it might be a problem if you wanted it to be completely internal, might have to mod it a little for that. but thats why theres external :)

I was wondering who'd notice the P5N-E. =) LOVE IT. Much better than the P5N, can't wait to introduce it into our line up. Firewire down and a MUCH better heat sink.

The chassis is pretty darn cool, we're currently in the midst of our eval.

Back