I need help.

magoo

[H]F Junkie
OK.
Here's the deal.
My computer just shuts off randomly.
It only happens during gaming.
Latest game is Mad Max. Start game, play anywhere from 10 -30 minutes and it's like someone flipped a switch, off it goes and then reboots. No blue screen, no warning in the game....poof.

My system is 3+ years old, X79 Rampage IV Formula. 3930K watercooled, 16 GB of 1600 Hz Corsair RAM. W7 SP1 on a Samsung 850 Pro SSD.
Runs like a champ, passes every stress test you can think of.
Memory passes memtest pro, 24 hours without errors.
GPUs have been tested individually and together in Sli looping Heaven and Kombustor, no issues. Latest NVidia drivers. Two 980 Ti, watercooled, never go over 45C
HDD and SSD pass all testing.
The PSU is one month old, Corsair Hxi 1200. Watts at the wall in full stress testing 700.

The system shuts down whether I have the thing in it's usual OC or running full out stock.

Since all the components are sound, I think there's something with the Motherboard, but I am at a complete loss for what's wrong.

if your running win 7 goto your control panel and check your Power Options sometimes its defaulted to shut your pc down after 30 minutes had teh same issue yrs back good luck

I would check the PSU voltages ( 12v, 5v, and 3.3v) are in spec with a multimeter.

PSU is fine.
Runs every other program on earth solid as a rock.

I think it's got to be power related....but I'm thinking it's something on the MB that's killing the circuit, not the PSU.

if your running win 7 goto your control panel and check your Power Options sometimes its defaulted to shut your pc down after 30 minutes had teh same issue yrs back good luck
Been running same OS for years. So I don't think it's that.
Plus it looped Heaven and memtest for 24 hours each and never shut down.

I'm not sure if you stated this already, and I know its a long shot, but drop all over clocks for everything. Just return everything to optimized defaults and see if the issue persists. Are you running Windows 10 by any chance?

1. Was this happening before your got the new PSU?

2. Have you tried reseating the RAM?

3. Have you tried reseating the CPU?

4. The TIM could be separating and causing a hot spot on the CPU which may not show up in the temp readings.

Other things that can cause this:

HDD or SSD that is dying

Fan that is shorting out

Bad temp sensor

USB device that is having issues.

Something else wrong with the motherboard such as a flaky VRM , but I really doubt it since you said it is happening with it at stock speeds as well.

1) yes.
2)yup, many times, but the RAM is/are fine.
3) no, good thought.....I'll check that out......might be an issue. But I can run AIDA or OCCT or Burn test all day and nothing happens.....

checked HDD/SSDs they pass with flying colors and the SSD is brand new, the HDDs are about 18 months old.
fans are all GTG.
I checked all my USB stuff in another computer just the other day as that crossed my mind.

I'm not sure if you stated this already, and I know its a long shot, but drop all over clocks for everything. Just return everything to optimized defaults and see if the issue persists. Are you running Windows 10 by any chance?

One of the first things I did.....and no.

Was looking at the specs on the PSU on the Corsair site and it mentions the PSU can be toggled into single-rail or multi-rail mode through software. What setting is it on? I would think you would be on single-rail mode.

(The problem you are describing, I had on the first PC I built in 2007. I bought a power supply that had multiple rails and none of them could handle the power drawn by the video card. I switched to a single-rail power supply and the problem went away.)

Was looking at the specs on the PSU on the Corsair site and it mentions the PSU can be toggled into single-rail or multi-rail mode through software. What setting is it on? I would think you would be on single-rail mode.

(The problem you are describing, I had on the first PC I built in 2007. I bought a power supply that had multiple rails and none of them could handle the power drawn by the video card. I switched to a single-rail power supply and the problem went away.)

You can't adjust the HXi series from single to multi rail, only the AXi series has that capability.
All you can do with the Corsair-Link software on the Hxi series is monitor certain parameters.
The HXi has no digital switching capability.

http://www.corsair.com/en/landing/hxi-series

From the site:

"Connect the included cable to a motherboard USB header and download the free Corsair Link Dashboard application for Windows and you can monitor performance efficiency, toggle single rail or multi rail mode, and control fan speed directly from your desktop."

http://www.corsair.com/en/landing/hxi-series

From the site:

"Connect the included cable to a motherboard USB header and download the free Corsair Link Dashboard application for Windows and you can monitor performance efficiency, toggle single rail or multi rail mode, and control fan speed directly from your desktop."

Ill be damned.
I misread that statement when I was comparing the HXi v AXi models when I purchased the PSU.
Obviously the AXi gives more options.

In my reading Corsair also says the default setting is multi-rail but I can't find the distribution figures anywhere.

I'm not sure if it would add to my problem.
I have not installed the link software, but I may and add it to my list of things to do.

Power distribution shouldn't be an issue if you're running the included wires without any splitters or adapters. Corsair (and other quality PSU manufacturers with multiple rail PSUs) have the connections distributed on the rails in such a way that you shouldn't overload the rail unless you were doing something stupid or extreme.

Power distribution shouldn't be an issue if you're running the included wires without any splitters or adapters. Corsair (and other quality PSU manufacturers with multiple rail PSUs) have the connections distributed on the rails in such a way that you shouldn't overload the rail unless you were doing something stupid or extreme.

There's nothing crazy about my set-up.
Standard SLi, HDD/SSD, a fan controller, water pump.
Thing is, set up has been the same since I built it. Only changes have been GPU upgrades.
That's what's so goofy about this.
I also have tested the shit out of the system and it runs fine until I start either MadMax or Metro LL ReDeaux.

Sorry if this was asked already, but do you have the same issue if you run just a single video card?

Sorry if this was asked already, but do you have the same issue if you run just a single video card?

Nope.

I can run a single card all day, benchmarks or games, no issue.
I can run SLi with any benchmark or test software you can name and it's all good.

When I try to play a game, as mentioned.....bingo.
No issues on a single card.

And yes, I changed the order of the cards and swapped out three different SLi bridges, I benched the shit out of the cards individually and in SLi, and the same thing happens.

God does not want me to play MadMax on this machine.

Nope.

I can run a single card all day, benchmarks or games, no issue.
I can run SLi with any benchmark or test software you can name and it's all good.

When I try to play a game, as mentioned.....bingo.
No issues on a single card.

And yes, I changed the order of the cards and swapped out three different SLi bridges, I benched the shit out of the cards individually and in SLi, and the same thing happens.

God does not want me to play MadMax on this machine.

Wait, if I read that right, when you play a game with a single card it's fine? Since all other hardware seems to be okay, I'd say RMA your motherboard, or update your BIOS.

Wait, if I read that right, when you play a game with a single card it's fine? Since all other hardware seems to be okay, I'd say RMA your motherboard, or update your BIOS.

I think you are correct.
The BIOS is the latest available.....I updated it just after this started to happen, thinking it may have been a conflict between the 980 Ti and the MB......unfortunately didn't change anything.

This is so bizarre I can't stand it.

Unfortunately this is a 3 year old ASUS board and their RMA process it bleak to say the least.

I just ordered a 4790K and found a new Maximus VII Hero. So I'm going to rebuild this and call it a day.:D

Its either the MB, Power supply

I would have been most inclined to think it was the PSU or that you were using a single cable to power both or something. Only say that because the problem you describe is exactly what usually happens if the PSU can not provide enough juice to one of the cards.

To test I would borrow another even more powerful high end CPU and verify if that does or doesn't change the situation.

Could be the motherboard, good luck,

Back