I need the best Gaming 19in LCD

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, so here's the deal, it's crunch time. My older brother is looking to put together a system really soon and is dead set on an lcd, most likely 19inch. He'll be playing the latest games with a 6800GT, doom3, hl2, you name it. So what do you guys think is the best right now, or is something coming out soon that will be the best?

Actually I'm looking for the same thing. I *know* CRT's are better than LCD's in most cases for gaming (and FPS shooters in general) but I'd heard there were some gaming specific ones that are every bit as good and lack the whole inadvertent motion blur effect. I'm looking for a 17 to 19" one if possible and don't really feel like spending a fortune either. I've currently got an NEC FE700 CRT and have been happy with it, but I don't care for it's 75hz limit for 1280X1024. I really don't know a lot about LCD's, the whole 'native' resolution and refresh rates so any advice would be helpful!

the new sony 19 inch might be an option. It has pretty good specs on paper, just haven't seen a game-oriented review yet.

Here is a summary thread of the fast gaming 19" screens out there.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=779712

Many of them are based on a similar 12ms/16ms tn panel, and will thus be somewhat similar. That leaves you picking one that looks nice, has dvi, good warranty, and a good price... I personally bought the Philips 190s5cb 16ms model and games were totally awesome on it (think Unreal Tournament at 1280/1024 on a 19" screen with no ghosting or bluring)... text quality was a bit lacking so I sent it back... I'm waiting on a Sony SDM-Hs94p now.

By the way... Amazon has the Sony for $850-$100 MFR rebate-$50 gift certificate-$30 if you sign up for Amazon visa.... =$675. Sale ends August 1st...

He's making a gaming computer... why are you recommending 25ms monitors... there's new stuff out there now y'know...

jack_r: Because they still perform well, go check out the reviews on Adandtech. Lower response time is not the only thing that makes them better, many of the low response time monitors have 6-bit panels which can result in poor colour representation.

Take your game box to a bunch of stores and start plugging in...it's the only way your going to get the real answer. 12~16~25 ms times mean NOTHING. Every review site agrees on this point, all those specs are taken by the people who make or want to sell you a monitor. You might find a real fast one, but the color might suck..or vice versa. I had my heart set on a Samsung 19" based on what I read here and everywhere else but when I went to the various stores and "pluged in" I found out that Envision 19" had a clear advantage...and you almost never read a review on one. Even found a few "no name" units that were pretty good as well.

Try BEFORE you buy guys, save yourself a ton of headaches.

BillR

In response to Chuckm1020:

With all due respect.. please see the Dell webpage... the 1901fp is 25 ms. Here is a link...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-0699&category_id=4009

In response to Nophys:

You are right. The Dell 1901fp performs well, I'd take it for free any day:) But near as I can tell it is still based on an aging Samsung PVA panel. I work on one of these monitors every day for hours at a time. They are beautiful, vibrant and text is ever so readible. However, for fast gaming this monitor no longer measures up... Sony has a monitor out that has less than half the response time of the Dell 1901fp. And you will also note that response times are TrTf times... in other words the time it takes a pixel to go from black-to-white-to-black. This is often a "best case" senario for a monitor. Games involve a lot of grey-to-grey transitions... and PVA panels such as the ones found in the 1901fp are notoriously bad at grey-to-grey often having response times between 40ms and 100ms. This leads to motion blurring during fast game sequences.

While the new TN panels produce less vibrant and accurate color than some MVA, PVA, IPS panels out there, I wouldn't call the TN panel's color "poor" unless you are building a computer primarily for the graphic arts... and this thread is about building a gaming computer.

In response to BillR:

In my oppinion frame rate and lack of ghosting/blurring are the most important aspects when it comes to gaming... this thread was about building a good pc for gaming right??? When you are playing a game you want to see clearly and sharply what is going on in real time... color depth and vibrancy adds an element of enjoyability to the game for sure... but blurring totally destroys the gaming experience. Right now... on a 19" screen... the best color depth/vibrancy/accuracy... and the fastest screens with least blurring are mutually exclusive... you can't have both on the same monitor. I'd say for a gaming computer go with the faster monitor.

Or wait... Tom's Hardware hinted at an 8ms PVA panel from Samsung by next Spring... somebody is bound to get it right at some point:)

ah crap, i thought it was 16ms rate. doesnt make sense why the 2001fp is 16ms response rate and the 1901fp is 25ms rate.

jack_r said:
In response to Chuckm1020:

In response to BillR:

In my oppinion frame rate and lack of ghosting/blurring are the most important aspects when it comes to gaming... this thread was about building a good pc for gaming right??? When you are playing a game you want to see clearly and sharply what is going on in real time... color depth and vibrancy adds an element of enjoyability to the game for sure... but blurring totally destroys the gaming experience. Right now... on a 19" screen... the best color depth/vibrancy/accuracy... and the fastest screens with least blurring are mutually exclusive... you can't have both on the same monitor. I'd say for a gaming computer go with the faster monitor.

Or wait... Tom's Hardware hinted at an 8ms PVA panel from Samsung by next Spring... somebody is bound to get it right at some point:)

I totally agree which is why I suggested trying them out first. Buying to "try" is just plain wrong, it keeps the prices high for everyone else.

I use a Samsung 213T for everyday use and photo editing etc, but for gaming I like the Envision 19"..same ms rating but no ghosting at all, which is why the specs are useless. It's your EYES that need to approve not a piece of paper..or a website :D

BillR

I use a NEC Multisunc LCD 1860NX. Fast, reliable, does NOT lag during game play and great color. Microsoft supplies drivers via Windows Update so you get some color rendering options. I've had mine since Christmas and I LOVE it.

Back