I'm torn... PS3 or 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Tiger, PSN doesn't hold a candle to Xbox Live. Loggahead is spot on. Hopefully one day Sony will improve PSN to Xbox Live levels. If they do, and they decided to charge for it, I would be happy to pay for it. But as it stands now, PSN is worth every penny I pay for it.

Please tell me where I said PSN was better :confused:

I said the gap was closing which generally means not as good but getting there......go and look at the functionality and features of PSN v 1.0, then what you have today. It's irrefutable......even to the most diehard zealot :rolleyes:

(zealot not aimed at you hedon :D)

The only two things worth having now from Live, IMO, are cross game chat and a unified cross game invites, then I'd say they are on a par. Chat is coming by the end of the year, along with video.....apparently, not that I think x-game video is of any use or importance personally. The invites I very much doubt will happen as I think they will stick to the crappy version they have now that not many devs use but I really like how if you get an invite off a friend on the 360, you just stick that game disc and et voila, the game loads to your friend.

I do wish ppl would read tho *sigh*

Perhaps MS could take a few notes on the use of normal credit card transactions. Instead of this absurd point system. If content costs $4.59, I want to pay only $4.59. Purchasing content over XBL is like buying 10 hotdog buns for 12 hotdogs due to the point system.

Other then in game music and cross game chat, there is little to no differences between XBL and PSN (yes, I'm taking cross game invites into consideration unless someone's perception of what it really is differs to mine.)

To OP, I really can't answer your question ( or maybe Im tired of seeing this topic for the past year and a half)

Your query is similiar to, what should I wear? boxers or briefs?

better visuals

That's highly refutable. X360 may have a better gpu on paper, but the shiniest PS3 games look as impressive as anything on X360.

The "PS3 is hard to program" meme needs to die too. Relatively, yes. Absolutely, no.

Itagaki said it was harder to make games for the NES than PS3. Lazy devs :p

Speaking as someone who owns a 360, PS3, and Wii you need to give us more information for any sort of decent recommendation. What kind of games do you like? How much online play do you plan on? Any particular games you're looking forward to?

Anyone telling you which console to get based on the paltry amount of info you gave us is just telling you which console they like. There's no way that anyone here can be telling you what's best for you based on what you've given us so far.

Please tell me where I said PSN was better :confused:

I said the gap was closing which generally means not as good but getting there......go and look at the functionality and features of PSN v 1.0, then what you have today. It's irrefutable......even to the most diehard zealot :rolleyes:

(zealot not aimed at you hedon :D)

By zealot he meant me. No worries, I have such fun conversing with Tigerblade. One fanboy vs another... though his arguments are always on the weak side imo. Like all other PS3 fanboys, he is always waiting for what the future holds.

By zealot he meant me. No worries, I have such fun conversing with Tigerblade. One fanboy vs another... though his arguments are always on the weak side imo. Like all other PS3 fanboys, he is always waiting for what the future holds.

'Pfffffft' So weak you can't follow up your own argument......Now that is 'weaksauce' :D

Your a character....I'll give you that! One question tho.....what's gonna happen if I pick up a 360 for GoW2? I'm seriously tempted now the price has dropped to it's actual worth. You'll have no-one to stalk then! :eek:

Guess I just ain't hardcore enough to join the zealot ranks yet :D

'Pfffffft' So weak you can't follow up your own argument......Now that is 'weaksauce' :D

Your a character....I'll give you that! One question tho.....what's gonna happen if I pick up a 360 for GoW2? I'm seriously tempted now the price has dropped to it's actual worth. You'll have no-one to stalk then! :eek:

Guess I just ain't hardcore enough to join the zealot ranks yet :D

Haha! Well... I wouldn't make fun of you, that's for sure! If you do that Tiger, I definitely would not and could not call you a fanboy anymore... but will we do about me?

What if I told you I would buy a PS3 when I could get one for around $299!? I sure would like to enjoy a blu-ray player on my nice Sharp Aquos 1080p tv...

I sure would like to enjoy a blu-ray player on my nice Sharp Aquos 1080p tv...

And see the TV at it's best ;) Just don't bother wasting your money on a Wii...worst gaming decision ever, haven't touched mine for about 3 months now.....might be worth chopping it in now I've lost interest in its big hitters.....hmmmm

And see the TV at it's best ;) Just don't bother wasting your money on a Wii...worst gaming decision ever, haven't touched mine for about 3 months now.....might be worth chopping it in now I've lost interest in its big hitters.....hmmmm

I stayed away from a Wii for the reason that 480p is shown in all its low res glory on a 1080p tv. Jaggies galore ;) Even though my kids would love one, I just don't see why they decided to release the console to not even support upconverting to 720p?

I do have an HDDVD player still... wow, maybe im worse off than I thought? Hah! Nah, I got it on closeout at Walmart for $99 and its still one heck of an upconverter. But Bluray... I do want bluray...

+1..BTW,the 360 isnt as cheap as it seems..Once you add it up to the out of box experience of the PS3,the 360 is more expensive..;)

None of those are required for gaming, next gen gaming. What you fail to see is that Sony is forcing consumers to pay more for 'optional features' just to get into the Playstation brand, whereas Microsoft gives all the option to the consumer. My friend just bought a brand new $199 360 Arcade and was playing Bioshock. He didn't need anything more to play the game.

I'm not sure why you think Sony is superior in this realm. The 360 is now just a few bucks more then a PS2 which doesn't have all the features the PS3 does, accept the 360 can play all the same games (exclusives excluded). Also, 95% of general gamers do not have super PCs that can run modern games on them, you assume too much. The PS3 is a great console, but all the features you pay for are 100%.. thats 100% optional.

Either way, OP .. pick the console with the games you want. Think beyond NHL09 and ask yourself what games you want more.

Really, if you just want to play ONE game then get the xbox360 arcade for $199. It has everything you need to enjoy the game in high definition and is much cheaper. Why waste more money? (Add $15-30 if you need to purchase rechargable batteries or an HDMI cable)

None of those are required for gaming, next gen gaming. What you fail to see is that Sony is forcing consumers to pay more for 'optional features' just to get into the Playstation brand, whereas Microsoft gives all the option to the consumer

Except for BD.

1UP said:
Rage Held Back By Xbox 360's Limits

"Id designer Tim Willits says significant content has been cut to cram game onto 360."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169963

I remember so many X360 shills denying media size would ever be a problem this generation. :rolleyes:

Has nothing to do with media size. Id doesn't want to pay the royalties for multiple discs, so they cut the size down. Some devs chose to pony up, like Lost Odyssey. I agree that it sucks though.

why should dev's pony up more and cut into their profits? i am not expert but i am thinking their margins for profit are slim.

and i will relate to something we all know about why do oil companies not cut into their profits and give up cheaper gas? why don't they just pony up?

id has to butcher their game because the 360 has a size limitation plain and simple the PS3 and PC don't. because the dev's could put out the game for the PS3 and the PC without any changes and forget about the 360 totally if they wanted to. plus if they had to release a game(s) with 4+ disks that game prices would not climb?

so i wouldn't be so quick to label id as not wanting to spend money.

I don't have all the money in the world to own all the consoles and a PC with the ability to constantly buy new games coming out. I have to pick and choose to stay within a reasonable budget. Therefore, I find the PS3 / PC combo to work best for me.

Has nothing to do with media size. Id doesn't want to pay the royalties for multiple discs, so they cut the size down. Some devs chose to pony up, like Lost Odyssey. I agree that it sucks though.

The question is, did Mistwalker have to pony up at all? I thought the royalty fees fell on the publisher and not the developer. Lost Odyssey was a first party title which would suggest there would be no royalty fees at all.

When do they plan on dropping the PS3 in price to match it's actual worth? I kinda wish I would have waited to buy my PS3 now. :mad:

Well that depends on what you'd pay, it's your money after all.

IMO the horrendous failure rate of the 360 has stopped me buying one so far (I own all other consoles and handhelds bar the 360) as I will not part a decent amount on something that has a pretty good chance of going tits up on me. If I can pick one up for under £100 then I'll do it as I see that as an acceptable risk.

About half my friend have a PS3, and the other half have a 360. Pretty much of all them will be playing NHL09.

Both consoles seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. The 360 seems less expensive initially, whereas the PS3 seems to be less expensive in the long run. It also seems that XBL is somewhat superior to PSN, with a larger library of games and members. However, the PS3 has Blu-Ray, which may nicely compliment my home theater system.

I know this thread must have been done more times than <insert something clever here>, but I'm really torn as to which console I should get.

*Wears flame suit*.

flip a coin, both systems have 90% of the same games.

only difference are: forza vs GT, splinter cell vs MGS, etc.

you can't go wrong with either system

I just picked up an xbox 360 arcade the other day. The price was right. I haven't even had a chance to hook it up though. Ordered up a 20GB hard drive from ebay. Hopefully will be able to hook it up tonight unless I become consumed with WAR.

Honestly I would go with a 360 ( I own both , but only use my PS3 for Blu-rays) , its just a better overall package. Both systems have great games (and most games tend to be released for both) but most PS3 games I noticed that get released after the 360 version suffer from all kinds of slowdown and other issues, perhaps its just me but I've noticed this with alot of 3rd party games.

Xbox live is another big factor , I prefer it over the Sony network because its more intergrated , Sony has taken almost 2 years ( roughly) to finally release a XMB that can be used WHILE in game .. yet the 360 has had it since launch. Sony does offer more dedicated servers with there multiplayer games but more often than not they only offer a few and the peer to peer networking on the Sony network isn't as well managed as it is on Xbox Live. Also the 360 gets demos, content downloads sooner then the Sony network and personally thats a big plus if you aren't the patient type.

The PS3 does have some pretty sweet advantages the 360 doesn't however , If you have a nice big HDTV then you likely are attracted to blu-ray discs for your HD viewing. The PS3 is basicly the best blu-ray player on the market and will be able to play all future blu-ray versions with just a software update and they also boot blu-rays the fastest. Not sure if that matters to you or not and if it doesn't just disregard this paragraph. I would also say that some PS3's come with native wireless but they haven't re-released that version yet and who knows when they will again.

Both systems are sound and worthy of your money in the end , personal choice really is what this comes down too but I think you'll be more happy in the end with a 360.

One thing to be made aware of on the PS3 regards to the psn downloadable ps3/psone games, you can use them on a few (up to 5 i think) PS3s, take me for instance i go halves with a friend of mind on all PSN downloads, we have done that on a total of 43 games now, thats a hell of a saving!

One thing to be made aware of on the PS3 regards to the psn downloadable ps3/psone games, you can use them on a few (up to 5 i think) PS3s, take me for instance i go halves with a friend of mind on all PSN downloads, we have done that on a total of 43 games now, thats a hell of a saving!

Thats cool I didn't know that , too bad none of my friends own a PS3 :p

Just to chime in on this. I picked up a 360 a month after launch, then last year i picked up a ps3.. I haven't touched my 360 since I got the ps3.

I ended up getting the PS3 in the end. The Blu-Ray player would complement my 52" TV really nicely, and I'm enjoying the games quite a bit. I do miss Live's interface though, it's implemented so well compared to PSN, which in itself isn't too bad.

...buying a console for a NHL is fucking lame.

stfu you hoser.

nhl 09 is the top selling canadian game right now (source, sunday's toronto sun, entertainment section. xbox360 is #1, ps3 #4) and will definitely sell systems up here, no problem.

furthermore, the nhl series (certain years) happen to be some of my favorite games. i used to play it on pc before ea abandoned it. part of the reason i bought a ps3 was to play 'next gen' nhl.

6v6 online multiplayer is insanely fun. give it a try before you discount the game, it'll likely sell some systems in the states too, even in socal.

I got a PS3 because it's quieter, it's got blu-ray, it's got free netplay, and I can replace the hard drive with any 2.5 brand 320gb one off of the egg for $90. Lots of games, looking forward to FOM2 and Bioshock SE. My only real caveat is I still have to keep my PS2 around for ps2 games. Really wish they would commit some resources to software emulation at some point, clear up my entertainment center a bit.

Just got my PS 3... My initial impressions... For one thing I am slightly handicapped with the PS3 because it doesn´t have VGA output. My tv at least gives a better more natural image over VGA. I sold my 360 some months ago but the TV still despite HDMI seem to offer better image quality then my 24" G2400W... Some titles like GRID looks bloody good on it though.

But what I have seen so far... The dvd playback just stinks compared to my PC. 360 dvd playback was not that good either but I want to remember it was better. However again this is definiatly partly due to the VGA output. Would assume they are quite equal if you have a tv with both good hdmi and vga outputs. However they are both not very good compared to PC playback with zoomplayer, ffd show and purevideo decoder.

Bluray I have only downloaded 1080p trailers like Ratatouille which may be compressed still. But here as expected results are much better. The upscaler on the PS 3 doesn´t seem to do a very good job... and the colours are not impressive at all. Lots of noise and some blur as well.

As for games well 90 % of the games from memory looked better on the 360. But really it´s good enough. heavenly sword and GRID looks great. GRID about on par with the 360 version. This depends on how much you like HDR it´s kind of blinding on the PS 3 lol.

Gamepad is really bad compared to the Xbox 360... Far to small and not a button sits exactly where you want it. 360 gamepad got criticism for the D-pad well that sits better here... But you wonder since most games use the analogue stick why prioritize the D-pad over it?

Otherwise it´s really silent. It feels like it´s quality and will hold up. The interface is also a lot better. You can really see how Microsoft just throw their console out one year early whereas Sony waited a year to create a better base package. However the 360 is cheaper, performs better in games. Bluray player don´t impress much for regular DVDs at least if you have a PC or HTPC setup (apart from being cheap).

However I think Sony have more unique games. One of the problem I got with the 360 is that it got so many european/american action titles where most where on the PC and they where all of course better versions on the PC. For about half the price often. Lots of action games/fps etc which mouse/keyboard is preferrable.

games I look forward to is Aqua from ArtDink, Afrika (hakuna matata), little big planet, uncharted. Okay Uncharted is probably one of these action titles lol, GT 5P.

So well it´s quite sure we will have this discussions in eternity from my experience with them. None of them is obviously not even near the PC if you look at the whole picture :)

Just got my PS 3... My initial impressions... For one thing I am slightly handicapped with the PS3 because it doesn´t have VGA output. My tv at least gives a better more natural image over VGA. I sold my 360 some months ago but the TV still despite HDMI seem to offer better image quality then my 24" G2400W... Some titles like GRID looks bloody good on it though.

But what I have seen so far... The dvd playback just stinks compared to my PC. 360 dvd playback was not that good either but I want to remember it was better. However again this is definiatly partly due to the VGA output. Would assume they are quite equal if you have a tv with both good hdmi and vga outputs. However they are both not very good compared to PC playback with zoomplayer, ffd show and purevideo decoder.

Bluray I have only downloaded 1080p trailers like Ratatouille which may be compressed still. But here as expected results are much better. The upscaler on the PS 3 doesn´t seem to do a very good job... and the colours are not impressive at all. Lots of noise and some blur as well.

As for games well 90 % of the games from memory looked better on the 360. But really it´s good enough. heavenly sword and GRID looks great. GRID about on par with the 360 version. This depends on how much you like HDR it´s kind of blinding on the PS 3 lol.

Gamepad is really bad compared to the Xbox 360... Far to small and not a button sits exactly where you want it. 360 gamepad got criticism for the D-pad well that sits better here... But you wonder since most games use the analogue stick why prioritize the D-pad over it?

Otherwise it´s really silent. It feels like it´s quality and will hold up. The interface is also a lot better. You can really see how Microsoft just throw their console out one year early whereas Sony waited a year to create a better base package. However the 360 is cheaper, performs better in games. Bluray player don´t impress much for regular DVDs at least if you have a PC or HTPC setup (apart from being cheap).

However I think Sony have more unique games. One of the problem I got with the 360 is that it got so many european/american action titles where most where on the PC and they where all of course better versions on the PC. For about half the price often. Lots of action games/fps etc which mouse/keyboard is preferrable.

games I look forward to is Aqua from ArtDink, Afrika (hakuna matata), little big planet, uncharted. Okay Uncharted is probably one of these action titles lol, GT 5P.

So well it´s quite sure we will have this discussions in eternity from my experience with them. None of them is obviously not even near the PC if you look at the whole picture :)

Time to upgrade the display? I have to say that my normal DVD's look pretty damn good up-scaled to 1080p via HDMI on my 46'' LCDHDTV :p

Time to upgrade the display? I have to say that my normal DVD's look pretty damn good up-scaled to 1080p via HDMI on my 46'' LCDHDTV :p

Was thinking the same, the Ratatouille 1080p trailer looks absolutely stunning on my KDS-55A2000 :eek:

Something's wrong here. I have both, and the PS3's DVD upscaling is significantly better than the 360's. I'm not even sure the 360 actually upscales any media beyond just stretching it - that's how big the difference is. The only time I prefer playing a DVD in the PC instead is when I want to watch it windowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back