Intel Core i7 Heatsink Roundup Q309 @ [H]

overclocking is overrated

use your air cooler. overclock a bit if you need - it will give you 5 or 10 more FPS... big woop - if you are any sort of gamer you have vsync on anyways.

and oh, hardocp masters... not all of us have 30 inch monitors and can play at those ungodly resolutions you test at. Test at something reasonable.

We aren't in the days of where overclocking a 100$ celeron 300a would get you a 500 dollar pentium 2 450.

use your air cooler. overclock a bit if you need - it will give you 5 or 10 more FPS... big woop - if you are any sort of gamer you have vsync on anyways.

and oh, hardocp masters... not all of us have 30 inch monitors and can play at those ungodly resolutions you test at. Test at something reasonable.

We aren't in the days of where overclocking a 100$ celeron 300a would get you a 500 dollar pentium 2 450.

Um, this is [H]ardOCP, where the hardcore come to play, not the mediocre. ;)

I'm sorry you don't have a 30" monitor. Stop hating those who do. And a 200$ (ala microcenter) CPU will run circles around a 975 when it's over clocked. Oh, and welcome back to reality where overclocked CPUs matter when running SLI.

And yea... overclocking a $250 I7 920 gets you a $1000 975

Performance isn't as noticable in games because most games are GPU-limited right now. But if you do anything that does make use of your CPU, any overclocking makes a difference (Like for me with HD Video Editing and Rendering it's gotten so much faster compared to a Q6600 @ 3.0ghz)

This is [H].. 2560 x 1600 is the only resolution to run at...

Hehe I forgot about the cheese..

But wow that comment about 30' monitors and overclocking etc?

Yikes..

I will have to say that I can't run at 'ungodly resolutions' but only because my 42' plasma *only* does 1080p.. lolz..

Pffft 30inch.. :D

Hehe I forgot about the cheese..

But wow that comment about 30' monitors and overclocking etc?

Yikes..

I will have to say that I can't run at 'ungodly resolutions' but only because my 42' plasma *only* does 1080p.. lolz..

Pffft 30inch.. :D

Hehe the cheese was classic.

Yeah no doubt about the 30" monitor and o/c comment. eep

I'll take my 60" (lowly 1080p) Pio plasma over a 30" monitor any day. :p

Yeah. Holy trolling on Friday! Sheesh, if OC'ing is out of style for you then why are you spending time reading through [H]ard(ware) O(verclocker's) C(omparison) P(age) forums.

Go ahead and enjoy your stay in mediocrity, while we push our hardware to its limits. We're not here to make judgements on what other's do with their money, but we are here to help each other OC and squeeze every bit of performance they can out of their computers.

I'm not pushing my hardware to max, like FLexion suggest. However I've no problem with tests being run on better hardware then mine. Why? SImple - if it works on those settings, like on cpu OCed to over 4ghz.... then on my medium OCed stuff it will work too :)

Same with resolutions - if a setup can do 30" display, then on my 26" it will work too, and even better :D

I'd hate to see tests run on 640x480 - and see something getting 150fps... only to learn that on 1920x1200 it can't do shit. It would be like me bugging Top Gear, that they test DB12, when I drive Yaris :D

For movies, not for games though ;)

Nobody who has ever played on a big screen would ever say that :p
Crysis was the first one I played on one, and it looked so much more realistic than on one of those Dell 30" monitors. CoD4 was the next, and I was blown away. I about puked when I went back to the LCD screen. The color depth and accuracy of plasma, plus zero input lag and a slammin home theater speaker setup instead of a little Logitech set just can't be beat. Of course, for work purposes you can't beat the real estate on a 30"... I let the company pay for those.

I just realized this is way off thread topic, so I'm not going to comment any more.

Now I just need to pick a heatsink for my new gaming HTPC rig. It's still inaudible even with the stock cooler though. hmm

any idea if that cogage will be made avail for socket 775? My old thermalright XP-90C works a lot better and is quieter than the stock HSF, but it's not quite good enough for much overclocking. The thing is, I can't justify $80-$90 for the thermalright ultra or thermalright true 120 ($65 for heatsink, $10 for fan, $10 for shipping). But a nice $35 heatsink that performs about as well as the thermalright true 120... that would be reasonable for my budget.

As others have noted... These temps seem way low from what I see in the real world when OCed. The 920 and 940s I have played with are all running in 80s range when running prime. These have been with Noctua and True120 coolers reading with Realtemp and Coretemp programs. Maybe the location of the temp sensors have something to do with it.

any idea if that cogage will be made avail for socket 775? My old thermalright XP-90C works a lot better and is quieter than the stock HSF, but it's not quite good enough for much overclocking. The thing is, I can't justify $80-$90 for the thermalright ultra or thermalright true 120 ($65 for heatsink, $10 for fan, $10 for shipping). But a nice $35 heatsink that performs about as well as the thermalright true 120... that would be reasonable for my budget.
why not get the xigmatek s1283? its in your price range, and is one of the better tower coolers out there.

Winner of the most useless and uniformed post of the month. Gratz. I would consider an infraction for thread crapping if it was not just so pathetically amusing.

Back on topic. woah, until the A2A I was wondering if the TRUE was defective in some way. Have to keep an eye out on the pricing for that COGAGE some of my customers do not care for the jumbo size and weight of the TRUE.

Nice job on the review.

Last edited:
The scary think about Rook:

RooK Gawd, 7.9 Years

It took you 8 years to realize cutting edge was cutting edge?

Really?

I'm throwing the 15 yard bullshit flag on that post, its gotta be a joke.

overclocking is overrated, use your air cooler. overclock a bit if you need - it will give you 5 or 10 more FPS... big woop - if you are any sort of gamer you have vsync on anyways.

and oh, hardocp masters... not all of us have 30 inch monitors and can play at those ungodly resolutions you test at. Test at something reasonable. We aren't in the days of where overclocking a 100$ celeron 300a would get you a 500 dollar pentium 2 450.

What rock did you crawl under from? A) [H]ardOCP does evaluate video cards at a wide variety of resolutions... What the heck does that have to do with this article though? B) A lot of people here just OC for fun even if they don't derive any performance benefit from it, and even more people get plenty of benefit from it in apps other than games (which is, at best, a minority of the PC user base). C) OC'ing still gets you the equivalent of a much much pricier part even if performance doesn't necessarily scale the same as it might've in the past.

Rook's post looked more like drunk posting than trolling to me, but I'm not an expert at either so I wouldn't know! :D

As others have noted... These temps seem way low from what I see in the real world when OCed. The 920 and 940s I have played with are all running in 80s range when running prime. These have been with Noctua and True120 coolers reading with Realtemp and Coretemp programs. Maybe the location of the temp sensors have something to do with it.

I believe these are "over ambient" temperatures" so you're supposed to add ambient temps i.e.) 25 degrees or so Celsius to them.

Why no Thermaltake Big Typhoon? I have not seen one included in a review of coolers in quite a while. Is there even a mounting kit that will let it work or would you need to custom make one.

Reason I ask is because I still see no reason whatsoever to get a newer cooler since they don't appear that they would cool any better or maybe no even as good as my modded Big Typhoon.

With the ability to have a total of 3 fans (stock position, and one on each side) on the Big Typhoon as well as the heat pipes actually being spread out instead of all bunched together like most coolers, it seems to me like it is a much better design.

And the fact that it doesn't have an issue of blocking RAM slot is a big plus as well.

Thank you for the roundup. As someone that just started folding I kind of want to boost my performance. And my CNPS9600 just isn't going to cut it if I want to overclock.

I'm definitely going to mull the Cogage spirit around in my head.

I believe these are "over ambient" temperatures" so you're supposed to add ambient temps i.e.) 25 degrees or so Celsius to them.

That would make it 50+C at idle which I highly doubt. It's just a low overclock.

Just thought I'd post pics of how I raised the one fan on the Noctua a little bit, to use all 6 sticks:

EDIT:
It's high rise Corsair dominator RAM too, som normal RAM should fit just fine.

Last edited:
I thought the Corsair H50 would make an appearance here. The last/first video review implied it would be included in the next roundup...

correct me if im wrong here, but the Cogage is the shortest of the high performance coolers out there...

is it short enough to fit in an Antec P193 though?

Someone email this roundup to Maximum PC so those idiots over their can stop touting their Zalman heatsinks as the best. I'd like to know who's blowing who between Maximum PC and Zalman.

Someone email this roundup to Maximum PC so those idiots over their can stop touting their Zalman heatsinks as the best. I'd like to know who's blowing who between Maximum PC and Zalman.

lol they finally got around to testing the TRUE and it CRUSHED that Zalman they keep deep throating.

"even though the TRUE came out a few years ago it still knocked off 5degrees of our previous champ's (Zalman 9900) temps"

no shit?

Even better, some one inform their readers about the fact that the is is so way behind the curve is scary...

Thanks Marc, after reading the review I ordered up the Cogage True Spirit @ http://www.svc.com/truespirit.html Plus its $5 less than MSRP. I also ordered the Thermalright BTK-1366 Bolt-Thru Kit. Seems a bit more secure than the standard push pins. It'll go perfect with my new build; Intel i7 920, Intel DX58SO, 6GB Buffalo DDR3 1333.

That would make it 50+C at idle which I highly doubt. It's just a low overclock.

Bro... Read through the articles. Just right above the temp charts.

"Please note the following scores are normalized to the ambient temperature. This will show you visually the rise above ambient temperature as well as the overall temperature. Since we are dealing with air cooling it is physically impossible for the temps to be less than ambient. This is why we start our charts at 25º C."

There are i7s that idle at 50C!

Last edited:

"Please note the following scores are normalized to the ambient temperature. This will show you visually the rise above ambient temperature as well as the overall temperature. Since we are dealing with air cooling it is physically impossible for the temps to be less than ambient. This is why we start our charts at 25º C."

Hopefully Marc will come along soon to clarify things.
I think the temperatures given are the absolute temperatures, what they mean by normalised, is that the bars start at 25°C rather than 0°C, so the variance between results is more pronounced.

That would put the stock 920 with the stock HS running at idle about 5-10* degrees cooler than mine ran inside a case with a GTX260 before I overclocked it, which would seem reasonable.

*I cant remember the exact temperature off hand, and it varied by a few degrees between all cores as displayed by software monitoring

I did read the article. When they say they normalized the temperatures they mean that if the ambient temp on one was 26C and another was 24C they subtracted a degree from the first and added a degree to the second.

When they are talking about thier charts starting at 25C they are explaining why the origin of thier charts is at 25C and not 0C.

Furthermore, if they were idling at 29.4+25=54 and were loading at 37.2+25=62 that means idle is consuming 87% of the power full load does, which wouldn't make any sense at all.

I'm sure you can get an i7 to idle at 50C, but you are not going to do it at [email protected].

I did read the article. When they say they normalized the temperatures they mean that if the ambient temp on one was 26C and another was 24C they subtracted a degree from the first and added a degree to the second.

When they are talking about thier charts starting at 25C they are explaining why the origin of thier charts is at 25C and not 0C.

Furthermore, if they were idling at 29.4+25=54 and were loading at 37.2+25=62 that means idle is consuming 87% of the power full load does, which wouldn't make any sense at all.

I'm sure you can get an i7 to idle at 50C, but you are not going to do it at [email protected].

Oy, I confused you with an earlier poster "a5i2c" or something like that. He claimed that the temps were extremely low, and when i replied that the temps started at 25C, you posted at my post. So sorry about the "reading the article" thing.

Anyways, I've looked at that chart for the third time now, and still I don't find the temps that out of line. The [H] data seems good vs. other sites.

50C idling at stock on air. Hmm... Maybe the [H] has a virus? j/k :D

Last edited:
Oy, I confused you with an earlier poster "a5i2c" or something like that. He claimed that the temps were extremely low, and when i replied that the temps started at 25C, you posted at my post. So sorry about the "reading the article" thing.

Anyways, I've looked at that chart for the third time now, and still I don't find the temps that out of line. The [H] data seems good vs. other sites.

50C idling at stock on air. Hmm... Maybe the [H] has a virus? j/k :D

Oy, now I'm confused! :p

I think the issue is these temperatures are being measured by a probe at the heat spreader which is going to be several degrees cooler than measuring the die temperature using something like Core Temp. Furthermore, it doesn't help that they were running an open motherboard test setup. I wouldn't be surprised if these were 10-15C away from what Core Temp would report on the same setup in a case.

Is there any chance that in future reviews of this kind you would test all the coolers with the same fan with regards to sound?

It would seem to me that if you put for example the Noctua Fan, on all the coolers and then noise tested them this would give a "true" indication of which cooler is the quietest (only variation in noise levels should be turbulence created by the heatsinks themselves), essentially doing an "apples to apples" comparison on noise like you already do on temperatures.

Anyone know how the HDT-RS1283 is for the I7? Or any of it's variations? (DarkKnight w/e) I'm upgrading and already have it from my C2Q.

All of these heatsinks look identical to the TRUE. Hell, one even has TRUE in it's name -_- Looking at the first page, I honestly thought the Titan Fenrir (worst name ever) WAS the Thermalright.

If you can't beat em, join em ?

i'd love to see a round up for low profile i7 coolers for LAN boxes and desktop styled cases

My Cogage just arrived today, couldn't wait to install it, got it in and going from intel stock heatsink to this is a huge improvement (obviously) I used AS5 so there's probably a few more degrees to be had but I'm idling at around 38-40 C per core w/ the fan on full @ Turbo speeds (which keeps the vcore @ 1.25 @ 3.06 Ghz automatically) no speedstep / c1e. Doesn't load over 57C per core. All in all happy so far, when the AS5 is cured we'll see where I'm at w/ the same settings.

I'm throwing the 15 yard bullshit flag on that post, its gotta be a joke.

haha, nice.... maybe he thought he was at (s)oft/forum?

I was at Microcenter a couple weeks ago and someone was grabbing a Zalman cooler and decided to confess to me how great they are and that they are the "highest rated" cooler you can get. He proceded to put this Zalman cooler in his little basket. I reached down on the bottom shelf and picked up a TRUE and placed it in his basket and said "Now you have the highest rated cooler". Guy just looked at me, although I didn't see him put it back.

Anyhoo, nice review, thanks!

Back