Intel responds to Phenom II with pricecuts

Yeah, the 9x multi on the Q9650 is critical. $50 extra, but it'll make 4Ghz a helluva lot easier.

I guess if the only reviews you look at are the ones made by kyle, I understand why you would say such a thing.

What are you doing here ? Go back to XS and perform a purification ritual.

I'm still waiting for evidence that RAM speed or its quantity had a negative impact on performance for the given benchmarks. And I mean evidence , not your ramblings.;)

What are you doing here ? Go back to XS and perform a purification ritual.

I'm still waiting for evidence that RAM speed or its quantity had a negative impact on performance for the given benchmarks. And I mean evidence , not your ramblings.;)

It's common sense savantu, have you ever heard of that term?

Oh, that favorite old benchmark called WishMark (by Sharikou) that appeared around the same time as Barcelona. The Phenom II 940 GigaPro is equal to the Core i7 940 in that benchmark. It's just common sense. :p

Oh, that favorite old benchmark called WishMark (by Sharikou) that appeared around the same time as Barcelona. The Phenom II 940 GigaPro is equal to the Core i7 940 in that benchmark. It's just common sense. :p

Didn't he run and hide in a hole when the i7 launched? :D

I'm wondering where the OP got from the story that Intel was responding to AMD with price cuts. The article said nothing. To me, it just seems as if Intel is lowering the price on some older CPU's now that their new ones are out and available.

In fact, FTFA:
Translated:
The dual core fall for their part as planned because of the arrival of new processors leading to a readjustment of the range: the Core 2 Duo E7500 and Pentium Dual Core E5400.

Whoah, those inter-core bandwidth figures are really poor for Phenom, and even Phenom II doesn't improve much.
That is indeed major FAIL for a native quadcore. They get beaten bad by Intel's dual-die setup, while this is where AMD should have scored with their native design.

wow those E5xxx prices are insane.

Thats what i said, 4.0ghz easy for under 75$ bucks. Intel did not just dig phenoms grave even deeper, but its 7700 series is in some serious trouble as well.

Sad thing is most people do not realize the potential on the e5000 line, fake overclockers :rolleyes:

Whoah, those inter-core bandwidth figures are really poor for Phenom, and even Phenom II doesn't improve much.
That is indeed major FAIL for a native quadcore. They get beaten bad by Intel's dual-die setup, while this is where AMD should have scored with their native design.

Well that's what you'd expect if you believed their hype about "native Quad-Core" design in the first place.

Thats what i said, 4.0ghz easy for under 75$ bucks. Intel did not just dig phenoms grave even deeper, but its 7700 series is in some serious trouble as well.

Sad thing is most people do not realize the potential on the e5000 line, fake overclockers :rolleyes:

e5xxx can be hit/miss....

mine only does about 3.33ghz with some serious overvolting, and many others are in the same boat....

that, and the FSB walls that many of them have been hitting up against....these things aren't the guaranteed overclockers people think they are....

dang... no price cuts on the i7?

The Core i7 920 can already be found for as low as $264.99-$279.99. That's right inline with the price of the Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition. Considering it beats everything in the Core 2 line and the Phenom, Phenom II lines I think it is priced reasonably. Now, motherboards need to come down as do the triple channel DDR3 kits.

Surprised?

well, when you put it that way... no. :eek: The PhII is no competitor to i7, it's aimed at the C2Q line, hence the huge price cuts there. :self-facepalm:

The Core i7 920 can already be found for as low as $264.99-$279.99. That's right inline with the price of the Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition. Considering it beats everything in the Core 2 line and the Phenom, Phenom II lines I think it is priced reasonably. Now, motherboards need to come down as do the triple channel DDR3 kits.

Good point... 6GB DDR3 is twice as expensive (but theoretically twice as fast) as 8GB DDR2. I guess we'll hafta wait for 4GB DDR3 modules to hit the market to drive down the prices of 2x3GB kits. But then I'd want 6x4GB :)

To be fair, the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R is a good board by reputation and can be had for about $200.00. Get some good RAM for it and though, still not what I'd call a budget system, I'd say it is reasonably priced for what you get. That combination would surely beat out any Core 2 or Phenom II setup out there.

I'm not sure what features the EX58-UD3R lacks off the top of my head, but my guess is that many of the features the higher end boards have go unused by many people anyway.

To be fair, the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R is a good board by reputation and can be had for about $200.00. Get some good RAM for it and though, still not what I'd call a budget system, I'd say it is reasonably priced for what you get. That combination would surely beat out any Core 2 or Phenom II setup out there.

I'm not sure what features the EX58-UD3R lacks off the top of my head, but my guess is that many of the features the higher end boards have go unused by many people anyway.

SLI support for one, though it does support Crossfire.

SLI support for one, though it does support Crossfire.

I think more people are interested in running a Core i7 920 at 3.8GHz or better than there are who are interested in SLI. I could be wrong though.

Back