Intel responds to Phenom II with pricecuts

how is this a problem? xD

looks like i'll get some cheap Q9650's to go with my Q9450s :)

Theres no problem for everyone else, Its a little bit frustrating for me. .5 higher multiplier and only $315 after this price cut, also its E0.

Lol....Oh well I finally found out the problem on why my system won't boot. I connected the wrong jumpers.

Under liquid my C1 should hit 3.8ghz or higher with some luck:D.

The price cut on the E5200 encourages me to make a cheap-o build for my parents though.

e5xxx can be hit/miss....

mine only does about 3.33ghz with some serious overvolting, and many others are in the same boat....

that, and the FSB walls that many of them have been hitting up against....these things aren't the guaranteed overclockers people think they are....

Have not seen a e5200 that can not do 3.5ghz from the forums i have been at, Only complain i see is fsb walls, and even then, the majority seem to hit a wall at 333 which still at full multi equals to 4.1ghz.

It can be a hit/miss, but its an inexpensive one.

dang... no price cuts on the i7?

Theres always deals/specials on the i7, that lower the 920 to 220-260. If thats not the best performance/price cpu, i dont wanna know what is.

I think more people are interested in running a Core i7 920 at 3.8GHz or better than there are who are interested in SLI. I could be wrong though.

Well, if people run SLI, that means they'll be pairing two expensive nVidia cards together. So their videocards alone will cost $400 or more.
I don't think those people will be complaining that a SLI-capable board is mayble $20-$30 more expensive than this board.
And even so, this board can still run a GTX295, which gives you SLI-level performance in a single slot. Or a 4870X2 ofcourse... or even two 4870X2s, because CrossFire works on all boards.

Thats nice, but it would be great if they also cut their Core i7 CPU's as well, that isn't going to happen unless if AMD brings out a killer CPU, but at least they cut their Q9xxx CPU's which is great.

Core i7 prices *now* (the 920 in particular) is already a threat to the Q9550 and above (take a gander at the [H]otDeals section of this very site for proof). The problem with i7 has nothing to do with the processor pricing; it has *everything* to do with the need to by RAM sticks in threes and the crappy economy.

Take a gander at the retail pricing for *all* of Intel's quad-core desktop processors (both Q and i7), throwing out the aberration that is the Extreme subline. This is basically old-style Netburst (not just Prescott, but Northwood-C) pricing. However, price/performance through the entirety of the Core architecture (from the Core i7 all the way down to the budget Celerons, especially the dual-cores) is unheard-of not merely in modern Intel history, or even overall computing history, but perhaps in the history of products regardless of type. The bottom of the gaming-system market is typically defined by a processor/GPU combination's fitness to play the current-generation UE (Unreal Engine) "hot game" on the PC (thanks to the non-appearance of GoW2 on the PC, this can mean either the original Gears of War or UT 3). With the excoriation that UT 3 took at launch, would you expect that within a year the cost of a minimim 1024x768 UT 3 rig would pass below the $200USD price point? (Celeron DC E1200, 2 GB DDR2-800, any sub-100 LGA775 motherboard with PCIe X16 graphics support, ATI Radeon HD3450 PCIe) Further, that it can be equipped for *Crysis* in a mere two upgrades totaling less than $400USD? And that is from any decent Prescott, Northwood-C, or even AMD S939/754 rig.

Remember, I upgraded to my current configuration by keeping all the drives, the PSU, and the case (and the sound card and TV tuner) from the older rig (and the external peripherals). I kept absolutely nothing else (not even the operating system, though I could have). That is where current component pricing is today.

I'm woefully out of practice building a budget rig (in truth, I haven't built a true budget rig for myself since the days of the Pentium 166 MMX; my last true budget rig was designed around this processor). I'm more used to building middle-of-the-pricing-curve setups; while not the latest and greatest, it's usually filled with middle-end solid components, with a higher-end item scattered here and there. I had forgotten how much fun it can be building a budget beast; I also had no idea just how little it takes to do so, thanks to high-power processors at practically chump-change prices.

Have not seen a e5200 that can not do 3.5ghz from the forums i have been at, Only complain i see is fsb walls, and even then, the majority seem to hit a wall at 333 which still at full multi equals to 4.1ghz.

It can be a hit/miss, but its an inexpensive one.

Theres always deals/specials on the i7, that lower the 920 to 220-260. If thats not the best performance/price cpu, i dont wanna know what is.

In fact, MicroCenter re-launched their i7 920 illiness:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0300438

Add the ASUS P6T Deluxe

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0301081

And the requisite 6 GB of DDR3 (Corsair 2 GB DDR3-1600 x 3 in this case):

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0302096

And even a pair of HIS HD4850s in 512MB GDDR3 trim:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0298237

And even a new PSU (in case your current one is not strong enough); in this case, PCPower's Silencer 500

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0290030

And the total is $1312.44 (CrossFire configuration), including 5% tax (retail purchase)

The point is that I didn't try hard at all, and confined my purchases to one store, and figured it up for a retail (brick-and-mortar) purchase.

Not included are a case (any full-size ATX case will do), drives (what's wrong with the drives you have?) or operating system (with 6 GB, x64's a safe bet; I run Vista x64 today, and I have a third that amount) A monitor isn't included, either (you may already have a serviceable monitor). Alternatively, you can buy e-tail (NewEgg and Tiger Direct seem to be favorite e-tailers in North America, with PC World taking the Brit nod). You can see where the price erosion generally *hasn't* happened yet, and, amazingly enough, processor pricing *has* eroded.

sooooooooooooooo when are these price cuts supposed to be happening? aint seen em yet...............................................

I get that, but you wouldn't undervolt it while overclocking it, and if not overclocking it, why be that concerned about the temp?

I get that, but you wouldn't undervolt it while overclocking it, and if not overclocking it, why be that concerned about the temp?

I'm able to undervolt my Q6600 while maintaining a 3Ghz overclock. If you can get the speed with less voltage it's a win win situation.

At first glance, it just seems like gambling on your stability.

Upon further thought, it seems more like a logical extension of common overclocking.

Build your system.
Establish your cooling solution.
Determine the speed it will run at.
Determine the voltage necessary to maintain stability at that speed.

I like the outside the box thinking, skipping the assumption of starting at default voltage and going up. I would have difficulty getting GHz greedy..."If it goes X fast with less then stock volts, lets go X+Y fast with stock volts."

The voltage options for my mobo don't allow for undervolting. They start at the default voltage, and only go up.

I had my old AMD SFF box under volted by quite a lot. Kept it at stock speed and ran MUCH cooler with the lower voltage (and was still stable), as it was cooler I was able to run the fans much slower which resulted in a very quiet SFF:)

To what end? Power savings?

I undervolt all of my systems.
In fact, the Quad in my sig was both undervolted and slightly overclocked.
I got the system (a quad) to use only 90 watts (at the wall) when idling at its lowest settings. :eek:

I undervolt because I like silent or near silent systems.
All of my systems only have the CPU fan and PSU fan running at the lowest speed (no other fan is allowed).

I want silence at the maximum CPU speed possible. :)

Remember that part of my motivation in regard to FlexRAID (www.flexraid.com) was reduced system power consumption. :D

I undervolt all of my systems.
In fact, the Quad in my sig was both undervolted and slightly overclocked.
I got the system (a quad) to use only 90 watts (at the wall) when idling at its lowest settings. :eek:

I undervolt because I like silent or near silent systems.
All of my systems only have the CPU fan and PSU fan running at the lowest speed (no other fan is allowed).

I want silence at the maximum CPU speed possible. :)

Remember that part of my motivation in regard to FlexRAID (www.flexraid.com) was reduced system power consumption. :D

talk to Mike (mavalpha) about undervolting and the like. hes a mad man about that stuff :D

Q9650 for $316 is nuts. That's a whole lotta power for the price. I'd guess that's a sure fire way to prevent most people from moving to i7 in the near future.

Anyone else besides Mwave actually selling at the right prices now? Newegg still wants $550 for the 9650

ZZF has the Q9650 for $350. It's out of stock ATM.

I'm still waiting for the E5400 to show up. :)

Just picked up a Q9650 from newegg for $350. Kind of hit the wall w/ my Q6700 @ 3.6 so this should tide me over until next year.

It can be found here: http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0299998

Note: this deal is In-Store only!!

This is part of the either-or quad-core choice, as the Q8200 (smaller on-chip cache) is the same price (their remaining Q6600s are also still at this price). The next CPU above them in price is not another Core2Quad, but the i7 920 at $239.99. *Then* along comes the Q9550 at $269.99.

However, most other retailers/e-tailers still have the Q9550 priced below the i7.

This is part of the either-or quad-core choice, as the Q8200 (smaller on-chip cache) is the same price (their remaining Q6600s are also still at this price). The next CPU above them in price is not another Core2Quad, but the i7 920 at $239.99. *Then* along comes the Q9550 at $269.99.

However, most other retailers/e-tailers still have the Q9550 priced below the i7.

i7 motherboards are more expensive, plus DDR3, which kinda kills the cheapness of a 775 system... :/

Not by much, around $80-$90 for motherboard, $100 for ram, While the 920 being cheaper, So its under $180 (if you count the diff between chips) for a deeper performance gain.

If $180 is ''Expensive'' then damm this is [C]oupon|Forum

you can get a decent s775 board for $100 casper. So $150 more to get the board. Ram is about $150 for 6GB, vs $40 for 4GB. Its a big jump for most people. And a lot dont get the Q9650 level chips, they'll get a Q9300 for $180 instead of the $330 Q9650 or $280 Q9550. So $350 difference.
Believe me, Ive owned/built both sockets since november.

you can get a decent s775 board for $100 casper. So $150 more to get the board. Ram is about $150 for 6GB, vs $40 for 4GB. Its a big jump for most people. And a lot dont get the Q9650 level chips, they'll get a Q9300 for $180 instead of the $330 Q9650 or $280 Q9550. So $350 difference.
Believe me, Ive owned/built both sockets since november.

What?

Re-read what i said, That 1366 board performs close if not the same than higher costing boards, Its $180 after rebate, So thats $80 more.

Ram wise, You can find a G.Skill 6GB Kit for $150, While a 1066 DRR2 is around $50. Thats $100

You can find a 920 for around $220-230 at local shops around you and or random online deals. The Q9300 is not a good example, if your gonna overclock, i would skip the Q9300 in a hearbeat.

So thats $80+$100=$180. A Q9550/Q9650 Costs about $30-40 Gap from the Q9550 and even more on the Q9650. So hell its under $180 if you take away that ammount.

What im trying to get across is that making the jump or decision from a Q9550/Q9650 build is not that expensive and is worth the money. i7 is getting more in-expensive by the day (Its already affordable, You gottta remember its high-end so it makes sense).

hmm. I should pay more attention to i7 low end boards I guess.

my second point was that nobody should be buying Q9x50 chips right now. Pony up for i7, or get a minimal quad, or a minimal dual core. The Q9550 and Q9650 should be effectively dead right now. using them as price examples is just wrong.
$500 gets you a i7 ram/mobo/CPU? Thats pretty damn nice.
But compare it to a $50+100+180 s775 build, not a $50+150+300 build.

Yup yup, i7 is getting more affordable by the day, I wouldn't say that gigabyte board is low end, it might only have 4 dim slots, but it still performs the same if not right behind the $300 boards.

The Q9*50 chips are good overclockers/performers, and one of the main reasons for people picking them up is if their already on lga775 and just wish to upgrade the cpu and keep going for a good while.

I have seen Q9550 deals already, I would not be surprised if we see frys/mc deals for it for around $220-240.

and one of the main reasons for people picking them up is if their already on lga775 and just wish to upgrade the cpu and keep going for a good while.
That board IS low end. Less memory slots, less expansion, horrible PCI-E layout as well.
Upgrades without a new board are the only reason I can think of to get a Q9x50.

To me low end is where you sacrifice performance for price, which is not the deal with the UD3R. It has capacity for 16GB ram, So its just a matter of companys like G.skill/Mushkin/Corsair to develop 4Gb Sticks. The board layout still has enough space for dual 4870x2's, A X-fi titanium sound card and or Pci sound card. What more can you want?

If you do not see yourself needing more than 6Gb ram. The board is perfect.

Back