Intel's New Performance Tuning Protection Plan = Overclocking Insurance

HardOCP News

[H] News
May I have your attention please! All you overclockers out there might want to check out Intel's new Performance Tuning Protection Plan. A processor company offering overclocking insurance? Wow. :eek:

The Performance Tuning Protection Plan being offered by Intel is a chance for you to experiment with the overclocking features of your processor without the worries of what will happen if you push the procesor too far. The Plan allows you a single processor replacement, hassle-free, from our customer support. This is in addtion to your standard 3 year warranty. In other words, if it fails under normal usage, we will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, we will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. So what we are saying is this: Go ahead and push it, we've got your back.

That's Intel way of saying,.. since you're into heavy overclocking, our products might not up to the par from what you're about to do
and with that we'll gonna ask more money from you by offering you a fucked up service which in the history of overclocking has never
been happened and this service specifically targets those people who are dumb in overclocking and doesnt want to do a bit of
research in overclocking over the internet due the scare of SOPA law. :eek:

Why doesn't Intel just make a decent motherboard chip, to go along with their CPUs & quit f'in around.

Already purchased. I figure it's a small price to pay. 'Scuse me while I try to get past 4.4GHz.

I dunno... kinda sounds like a 2 part trap.

1. up sell you a feature that you may never use, so that is money in there pocket.
2. if you use it, now you are not going to get another replacement, something happens after that and you are hosed!

Um. Excuse me? Unless I'm missing something, how would they know if the processor failed due to overclocking and not to, say, an improperly mounted HSF or power surge?

How would Intel know the processor was ran out of spec unless there was ln2 residue on the CPU when it was submitted for RMA?

Raise your hand if you've smoked a CPU. Not to many hands, unless you're disabling all the protection features built in C1, Speedstep blah blah blah, then you might need to waste ur $$$ on this.

It's the next step in requiring a PTPP purchase to enable/unlock that "K" functionality.

Does this mean I can put a processor under LN2 and run it at insane voltages, and when it dies go whining to Intel for a new one?
Or does it only cover "standard" overclocking?

Good job Intel, it only took you one whole year to allow people to pay for a warranty for a feature that has been advertised from day one. Intel has been telling us to void our warranty for years!

Unlocked & Unleashed anyone?

header.jpg

trackmania1.jpg

Pretty cool actually. Props to intel for offering something like this. Probably hundreds of xtreme overclockers would be a safety net.

I'd probably do it myself, but my chip is ghetto and won't go past 4.66Ghz

Meh just another dreamed up product non "feature" to add profit without any addition cost. I'm sure there's enough ppl out there who will foot the cost, I mean look at Monster brand cables.

My protection plan is free. See, it goes like this.

Me: Dammit, processor is broken for no good reason.
Me: Off to the store!

"Buys same processor on shelf"
"Comes back to store with same model old broken processor"

Me: Scuse me sir, this thing is broken, and I'd like a return.

Of course if that doesn't work I'll just buy a new one. It's not like I've ran into a lot of broken processors, and if I do then chances are there's 3X better ones I can get.

I don't think the target audience would be us, persay, since we know how to push silicon to its limits without frying it. This is probably more insurance for people that are new to overclocking and want to push those barriers but don't want to be out $300 when they end up frying their CPU from overvolting.

Even then, there are plenty of tutorials on safe overclocking and known limits that one shouldn't surpass for voltages for existing chips.

Wait, they charge you more for the ability to overclock the CPU, then want to sell you insurance above and beyond that? Hmmm.

I have not posted since 04-30-2008, but i feel that INTEL deserves an "attaboy" on this one.

normal use won't physically break the chip in two

Putting it under ln2 could

Worth it if going crazy with what your doing, all normal overclocking is covered by standard warranty with it

Some folks complain about just about anything, I think it's a cool option.

I think this is awesome personally.

I know I would never use it, but for some people that like to do extreme overclocking. This would be great. Pay $25-35 now, and not have to spend $500-1000 later.

I think this is awesome personally.

I know I would never use it, but for some people that like to do extreme overclocking. This would be great. Pay $25-35 now, and not have to spend $500-1000 later.

I'm glad you brought that up - I never really thought about it that way. For those of us "mundane" overclockers using air or (normalish) water cooling, I can't imagine this would be of any use, however.

I'm glad you brought that up - I never really thought about it that way. For those of us "mundane" overclockers using air or (normalish) water cooling, I can't imagine this would be of any use, however.

I've never killed a chip on water or air...beyond the recommended voltage for q6600/e8400/q9550 as well as 1156 i7 870. For us this would be rather useless...especially since most people upgrade every 2 years or so.

If you can afford to use ln2, you can afford a new processor. Anyone stupid enough to buy this deserves to be beat with a large stick.

I've never killed a chip on water or air...beyond the recommended voltage for q6600/e8400/q9550 as well as 1156 i7 870. For us this would be rather useless...especially since most people upgrade every 2 years or so.

Um, that's exactly what I was saying. That was a comma there in my quote, not a period.

The fact that the plan for their most expensive CPU costs only $35 shows how much confidence they have in the reliability of their products.

If you can afford to use ln2, you can afford a new processor. Anyone stupid enough to buy this deserves to be beat with a large stick.

That makes no sense. If they can afford to use LN2, then they can afford the $35 bucks for insurance.

Also, I'm not sure what exactly they will cover, but it says that if it falls out of the normal warranty, that you can use the "Overclockers" insurance. Wonder if you can use it, say if you r W/C setup leaked, and damaged your CPU. Or like one guy did, and bought a 3960k, and didn't think to put a heatsink on it, and burned it up(granted, he wasn't the smartest)

The fact that the plan for their most expensive CPU costs only $35 shows how much confidence they have in the reliability of their products.

Or it shows exactly how much of a markup is on the CPUs in the first place.

Or it shows exactly how much of a markup is on the CPUs in the first place.
Yeah, because research and development of new architectures and building facilities to manufacture CPUs are such inexpensive undertakings.

Yeah, because research and development of new architectures and building facilities to manufacture CPUs are such inexpensive undertakings.

They're not as expensive as you'd think, or the prices would be higher obviously.

Raise your hand if you've smoked a CPU. Not to many hands, unless you're disabling all the protection features built in C1, Speedstep blah blah blah, then you might need to waste ur $$$ on this.

Yep. I've overclocked every single CPU I've ever owned and never had one fail. A little bit of research (about proper voltages and such) and sensibility goes a long way. I guess it might make sense for those extreme overclockers who use LN2, but for "every day" overclocks it seems like a waste.

I've had plenty of video cards fail and I don't even overclock them usually, but never a CPU.

Sounds a little sketchy...probably a LOT of stipulations in fine-print about the manner in which the chip can be damaged.

Back