Is it safe to soak a processor in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol?

digitalx0

Gawd
I got some chunky crap on that core and I think it will be much easier just to soak it overnight to loosen it up. What do you think?

lmao you sneeze on it? :p

That should be fine because alcohol evaporates very quickly when you let it dry. Soaking in it should be no problem either, since theres no kind of stored electricity to fry your chip. Btw, I use 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean off thermal grease and I've been fine.

I have always used 70% too, but I have always seen everybody recommend 91% so I thought I'd get some and try it out :D I think I will soak this and then sell it.

lol, I found some at 99% in a grocery store. w00t!

Eh, I would find something to cover it because yeah, it is going to evaporate.

lol, I found some at 99% in a grocery store. w00t!

Eh, I would find something to cover it because yeah, it is going to evaporate.

?? Expensive? What brand and what store? I thought I could only get that at work.

?? Expensive? What brand and what store? I thought I could only get that at work.

The joys of work, getting payed to huff 99% alcohol, always puts a smile on my face. :D

Anything above 70% is fine to clean if off

Did you get it in the pins?

If not, and it still has the IHS on it.. just use some acetone and a cloth to get it off.

LOL moonshine!!!! i was watching a discovery channel thing on that. crazy stuff.

just a note from a chemist:

ethanol (alcohol) sucks up water from the atmosphere very quickly. Exposed to air 100% ethanol (or anything more than 95%) will immediately absorb moisture from the air to reach 95%. So if 99% is more expensive you've wasted your cash, it will be 95% once you open it.

Uh, ethanol != isopropanol. Please for the sake of your own health don't ever confuse the two.

I was at an Ethanol plant with my uncle and they actually gave me and my mom a sip of it before they mixed it with a few other chemicals. F'in gross! Tasted like leaving gin in your mouth for an entire hour before you can swallow. (or spit :D ) I hate Gin. Taste like pine trees.

Ontopic: I would suggest soaking a cloth in 91% alcohol then resting it on top of the processor to avoid any danger. That should easily remove the macaroni and cheese from the ihs.

Back