JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!

Hmm... to replace my SB40 with these or not... I personally like headsets and not dealing with external mics, but if the sound is reasonably better, the price sure is nice

update- these are closing in on the a900s with use- the bass now thumps hard enough to vibrate your head as high volumes (just for testing of course)

update- these are closing in on the a900s with use- the bass now thumps hard enough to vibrate your head as high volumes (just for testing of course)

I'm very tempted, but if it makes my ears too warm after two hours, then that's a no go. Might as well stick with the SB40 until I can afford the AD700 (or is it A700?).

I'm very tempted, but if it makes my ears too warm after two hours, then that's a no go. Might as well stick with the SB40 until I can afford the AD700 (or is it A700?).

AD700 is the open one, so I'm guessing thats the one you want.

These will make your ears hot but a break or two should remedy the problem. For $33 you can't really go wrong though.

AD700 is the open one, so I'm guessing thats the one you want.

These will make your ears hot but a break or two should remedy the problem. For $33 you can't really go wrong though.

C'mon, you can't take breaks when you're on a winning streak in DOTA, TF2, X-COM, or any other good game, for that matter.

Hahaha. Thanks, ya the AD700.

And, yeah, it's an amazing price for it's performance... but I honestly don't want to have to take off my headphones because of physical discomfort. I've had enough experience with physical discomfort from headsets.headphones.

Wow. Then I may do as you say and grab these and mod with Velour.

Well, the only way to get velor pads that I know of is to contact Beyerdynamic, request a link to a form that you must print, fill out and mail to them. Anyone have an easier way lemme know.

Maybe audiocubes sells AT pads. I will check.

i did some more 'a-b' comparisons between the jvc harx700 and the audio technica ath-a900. these are very close. the jvc has more bass at a slightly higher note- the a900 reaches down to a lower note but with less impact. i have had the ath-a500 before and the jvc beats them easily. the jvc has an eerily 'audio technica a-series' sound to them. (the earpads are obviously the same material and consistency)
the jvc is the real thing people- a high end sound for 38$

got it AT 900/700 pads are here. no guarantee they work but they should

http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/Headphone+Accessories.html

Nice find spaceman! But $50-80 for pads!? I can understand that for a higher priced headphone like a DT880, HD650, or something along those lines, but not for a sub-$35 headphone. Man, these headphones better not turn out like the T-Amp craze a few years back. Cheap $20 item, $100s in mods... Next up, cable upgrade! Then blu-tak mod! finally Woodie mod!

Don't see any ATH 900/700 pads for that much. $40ish mostly. Or did you see the Sony R10 pads for $300? They charge plenty...more according to more expensive phones, even if the pads are all relatively cheap to make.

Wow, i'm really interested in these, but can't decide between these or the higher rx900 model. I've always wanted some audio technicas... but im a poor man, and these seem to fit the budget, haha.

lol

Even with the pads they are less than half the price of the a900s. I understand though, The silly things are the same price or more than the headphones!

I think that the Beyer Velors are $12? Maybe. Don't recall.

I think that the Beyer Velors are $12? Maybe. Don't recall.

The ones I got for the MDR-V6 were about $20. I don't know if they're the right ones or what...these use circular pads and the V6 / DT280 are more of an oblong; they have flat sides and semicircular ends. But for all I know they stretch to fit. Or it's a different pad.

added this to the headphones sticky. I bought a pair so I will be able to "review" them soon.

Someone needs to get the HARX900 so we know if its any good or not. But it is a massive price to pay at nearly $60...

I bit on the rx700. Couldn't go wrong for ~$33. I probably wouldn't even notice much difference with the rx900. Also got the cheap fiio amp to see if it would help any on my super old first gen ipod mini, since i've never used a headphone amp before.

Someone needs to get the HARX900 so we know if its any good or not. But it is a massive price to pay at nearly $60...

Same stuff here; I want to find out how these sound compared to the 700's. If its better in most regards than the 700 than I'm all in. If not then the 700's will have to do. :D Can;t wait to hear your review spaceman.

I bit on the rx700. Couldn't go wrong for ~$33. I probably wouldn't even notice much difference with the rx900. Also got the cheap fiio amp to see if it would help any on my super old first gen ipod mini, since i've never used a headphone amp before.

got my fiio amp today. drives the rx700 well, not as good as my x-fi but close. the rx700 is decent from an mp3 player but the fiio helps

*edit* the fiio will amplify the signal from an x-fi sound card decently also. this silly little fiio works better than a lot of portable amps!!

The 700 should be the buy here. So long as the 900 is almost twice the price there is no reason to go there. All I can think of is slightly more control and bass impact. We'll see about the sound stage and directional sound.

Oh man, I don't have an x-fi anymore.

Ok. I will use COD4 digital out into my XR-55 receiver. Should be a pretty good benchmark.

I am still waiting on parts for my gaming rig though so I think that next weekend is about when I can get this done.

got my fiio amp today. drives the rx700 well, not as good as my x-fi but close. the rx700 is decent from an mp3 player but the fiio helps

*edit* the fiio will amplify the signal from an x-fi sound card decently also. this silly little fiio works better than a lot of portable amps!!

Good to know! Thanks. These are probably some of the best purchases i've ever made.

Is there any confirmation that DT770 pads work for the HARX700?

I bet on the JVC also... waiting to see if someone can pull of a pad mod that isn't more expensive then the JVC's them selves. I hope these kill my bestbuy cheapy Altec Lanzing headset.

Well lucky me I had the day off for Columbus day, and the UPS guy was just here a little while ago and dropped off my HA-RX700's so I opened them up and plugged them into my Zero right away to start burning them in.

I like them so far, a little bright right now, but I'm hoping they'll mellow out a bit once they burn in. Within only 30 minutes or so of listening I could hear the bass start to open up quite a bit, the bass definitely hits harder and deeper on these than my Senn HD485, which is what I was looking for. They are decently comfortable, the head strap is pretty stiff right now and you can feel it after a while, but not bad. Also I have a pretty large head (7-3/4 hat size) and they fit me pretty well, and cover my largish ears easily. The JVC may get slightly warmer after a long time wearing them than my Senns since those are open cans, but these aren't bad at all.

Overall for the price these are some great cans and for overall sound quality they are at least as good maybe better than my Senns which cost me twice as much. Although I still like the Senns a lot because they are so comfortable and easy to wear for hours.

I've only had the JVCs a couple hours so no real burn in done, and I've only listened to music, no gaming yet so I can't comment on positional audio but I don't see why these wouldn't do nicely for that too.

I'm going for the RX700! Just couldn't wait to get my grubby paws on'em! I won't be able to test them out as good as spaceman, but I'll give a "casual" person's point of view. : P Thanks for finding these gems.

I'm going for the RX700! Just couldn't wait to get my grubby paws on'em! I won't be able to test them out as good as spaceman, but I'll give a "casual" person's point of view. : P Thanks for finding these gems.

A general consensus is generally better than one persons opinion. So please do chime in. I am excited to get a cheap "real" headphone. Reason is simply that I want people to really hear the all of the sound instead of just part of it.

All credit goes to ourfpshero though. I would not have found these on my own as I have my head up my ass taking care of my suddenly booming real estate business. Too damn busy lol.

....... as I have my head up my ass taking care of my suddenly booming real estate business. Too damn busy lol.

Grats on that one, the market here has taken a steady nose dive over the last 2 years.

On topic, anyone else receive their set yet? Need more impressions! Been looking for a set for work, these may fit the bill - cheaply :)

A general consensus is generally better than one persons opinion. So please do chime in. I am excited to get a cheap "real" headphone. Reason is simply that I want people to really hear the all of the sound instead of just part of it.

All credit goes to ourfpshero though. I would not have found these on my own as I have my head up my ass taking care of my suddenly booming real estate business. Too damn busy lol.

Its all good. :) Gonna be awhile though probably by next weekend or even later! Its going to be a long week...:rolleyes:

Grats on that one, the market here has taken a steady nose dive over the last 2 years.

On topic, anyone else receive their set yet? Need more impressions! Been looking for a set for work, these may fit the bill - cheaply :)

I'm buying forclosures and working on them to rent. Doing a lot of the work myself so it keeps me damn busy lol. Worth it to work for yourself though. Freedom rocks.

I will get mine this week. I did the free shipping on buy and they have not shipped yet. I'm not paying $7 to get them here 2 days faster lol.

I do trust ourfpshero enough to say that I would think these are the best full sized headphones under $50 pretty easily. Probably best under $100 but idk yet.

lol no way

I Just got a delivery notification from buy.com like 30 seconds after posting above. Must be fate.

Ah, ADHD -- the silent killer. I am similarly afflicted, my friend. I also suffer from spendalotius moneyism.

I'll have to grab a pair of these. I seem to have a fetish for buying tons of cheap (price-wise) headphones, and I'm big on closed phones.

I'm total noob when it comes to headphones. Question is that is it safe to assume harx700 is equal or better than HD555? since it's very comparable with A900? Reason I'm asking is that I was originally going to buy 2 HD555 for me and my brother but it would be big saving if I would go with harx700. Also this is mainly for gaming.

Thanks

Back