Left 4 Dead is really starting to suck

The new patch made joining my friend's dedicated server a total PITA. It was working great just a week ago. It's like Valve wants L4D to fail.

*and how fucking long does it take to release the other two maps? It's like their just sitting and rolling in the cash.

I haven't used a dedicated server in months. Local server with friends is a win everytime.

I'm still having fun with it and I've been playing it since release.

It'd be nice if they released the new patch already because I want to play the new Versus mode.

I still find versus mode to be a blast, although I admit it is getting a little long in the tooth with only two selectable maps for it.

That DLC can't come soon enough--especially with the tools to make custom maps.

EDIT:

I will also say that ragequitting is unfathomably annoying. I've been on really good teams that have simply been beaten by slightly better teams and I'd still have one or two ragequitting.

I play versus frequently. Generally an all-friends game. The great thing is you don't need all that many friends to do so because you invite a friend, they invite a friend you don't know, and that friend invites another friend.... The chain of friends makes it fairly easy to fill a game most of the time.

I haven't played as much as some of you folks. But I agree with the game need more maps and variety of weapons. I haven't experienced much with ragequitting or bad teamates yet though....probably have something to do with just playing campaign and normal difficulty. I haven't got the confidence to try versus yet....

play on expert mode... most games I join in expert don't have the suckage...

if you play versus on a random server, prepare to be gheyed.

The one thing really sandbagging that suggestion, Mavvok, is potential for abuse. Unfortunately.

yeah, but i know there are enough people who run programs like fraps to provide sufficient evidence to justify that ban, in fact, if they enacted it i'd run fraps. and on top of that they know who plays together and when.

It's a boring game. I regret paying $14 for it.

lucky you... i bought at release for $50 .....

i enjoyed it for a few months, but these days i dont really play it anymore... and I *rarely* buy games... the ones I do usually last me years...

L4D needs some kinda random map generator or something... even something as simple as having the same maps as now, but randomly closing off, or opening up different paths, and closing off and opening up different, random hiding spots ... it would really add a much needed surprise element to the game...

no matter how many maps valve releases, we'll get bored of them super quick since they are static maps...

L4D is great if you don't play it out. I never play more than once or twice a week and it's stayed pretty fresh. Mix it up with TF2, CoD4, BF2, and DoW2 and I'm never bored of anything really.

Same here. I'm trying to get some friends and family to buy it and holding off on really playing it out until they do and we can all play together. Until then I've played maybe twice a week.

My only real complaint is that it's difficult to find players for an expert game unless you join one already in progress.

I was actually just going to comment on how nice things have been for me recently. There seems to be more servers, so when you create a lobby it doesn't take 20 years to find a server (usually infact for me its less than 5 seconds).

All I play is versus mode and its still a blast. Me and a friend in vent, boomer and a hunter, get the boom on all 4 plus the 25dmg pounce and because they're all blind and not using mics even after the 25 fall damage your sitting there at X1...X2...X3...X4... sometimes as much as 10 before they finally blast you off --In that time me or my friend has taken the guy down from 80 to less than 20. So good.

I used to play L4D fairly regularly up until a month and a half ago. I then started to get horribly crap connections on dedicated servers and the occasional retarded players on public servers were pissing me off. It's a great game to play with friends, but when there are none around it gets lame.

I'm not sure what more guns would really add other than another gun model.
AK is pretty much the same assault rifle.
Hunting rifle is pretty much an SKS with a scope.
I guess something between the Uzi and the assault rifle would be nice though, uzi sucks.

Sorry, but this really bugged me! :D

The hunting rifle in L4D looks to be a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30 in .223 or 7.62x39 respectively. Neither one of these rifles is inherently really that accurate in real life. It just looks cool and most people recognize it for what it is. So yeah....the SKS is pretty close to a Ruger ranch rifle Mini, but neither of these are really hunting rifles I don't think. I think of something like a Remington 700 as the epitome of a hunting rifle. It is also used by snipers in the military so that would've been a MUCH better choice for their model to be based on.

An AK has a shorter barrel than an AR-15 and is not near as accurate. It also fires a 7.62x39 round which is a bit bigger than a .223 round in the AR......or I guess it would be a M16 in L4D lol....I'm used to using the semi-auto version.

Sorry, this was probably not needed, but it bugged me :p

I hope they put a Galil in the game since I just bought one in real life. That way I can see what it would be like if zombies really came about :D

I used to play L4D fairly regularly up until a month and a half ago. I then started to get horribly crap connections on dedicated servers and the occasional retarded players on public servers were pissing me off. It's a great game to play with friends, but when there are none around it gets lame.

What's funny is that I bet this game (and TF2) were a response to more single-minded games, e.g. CS, where a single-AWPer can do just fine, even with a team full of boat-anchors/noobs.

L4D swung widely in the opposite direction. Regardless of your skill, if even a single teammate is less than optimum, you will almost always lose. Add Valve's great addition of quick votes to kick players, and you have a recipe for disaster. Because of this, is there really ANY reason to play pubs anymore? This then further constricts and shrinks the target audience. Again you have good players only playing with good players, noobs being noobs in pub games. It's as if the attempt to encourage team-work invariably accomplished the opposite - encouraging even greater stratification and discrimination.

And the discrimination on skill level is certainly justified, if you want to have a chance of winning.

start dropping your steam ids so we can get a game going. not at my home pc not sure what my steamid is atm

I love this game, honestly I cannot get enough of it. I always join a random servers Game In Progress.

It is kind of starting to get boring with just 2 maps and few weapons.

Sorry, but this really bugged me! :D

The hunting rifle in L4D looks to be a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30 in .223 or 7.62x39 respectively. Neither one of these rifles is inherently really that accurate in real life. It just looks cool and most people recognize it for what it is. So yeah....the SKS is pretty close to a Ruger ranch rifle Mini, but neither of these are really hunting rifles I don't think. I think of something like a Remington 700 as the epitome of a hunting rifle. It is also used by snipers in the military so that would've been a MUCH better choice for their model to be based on.

An AK has a shorter barrel than an AR-15 and is not near as accurate. It also fires a 7.62x39 round which is a bit bigger than a .223 round in the AR......or I guess it would be a M16 in L4D lol....I'm used to using the semi-auto version.

Sorry, this was probably not needed, but it bugged me :p

I hope they put a Galil in the game since I just bought one in real life. That way I can see what it would be like if zombies really came about :D

My point was the guns are close as in Semi-auto carbine. The AK and M16 are respectively assault rifle. Valve didn't spend and time on gun realism so having new guns that are close to one of the others would be useless.

you must have paid a bunch for a galil, I am fancying a semi-auto RPD because 7.62x54r is still the cheapest surplus ammo you can find.

Again, for those looking for people to play with, we have a [H]ardOCP L4D group out there with 60+ people currently in it. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/HardocpL4D

I play it with friends, but by week 2, I couldnt bring myself to load it up. Painfully little content.

My friends list is no longer exclusively friends. My friends list now has a high volume of people from [H], GWJ, and The Escapist (Steam groups exist for all), along with random people from pub games that were fun to play with. Between all of those people, I can count on, at minimum, a game available every evening and I know the people I'll be playing with won't be asshats. :)

[H]adouken;1033850876 said:
L4D needs more of the options TF2 has, such as muting, friendly fire off. How f'king hard is that Valve?

TF2 is a let down.

TF the original was better, by far.

Probably, many of you were high on this game, didn't it seem like a boring game from the get-go? Shooting NPC zombies non-stop? C'mon, how much life did this game have to begin with? The herd mentality won on this one.

Probably, many of you were high on this game, didn't it seem like a boring game from the get-go? Shooting NPC zombies non-stop? C'mon, how much life did this game have to begin with? The herd mentality won on this one.
You've never played the game, have you?

Actually, the design of the game is probably its strongest component. The patches geared to noobs, bad networking, bad lobby system, rage-quitting, etc. all make the game a chore to play - but the gameplay itself is very fun.

You've never played the game, have you?

I am going with this as correct.

L4D is the best game of it's kind hands down. It will get better in future with updates and patches.

They could add a co-op race/battle mode where 2 groups of 4 race each other through the maps.

I was playing on expert, and a loser with the name "metalxg4" came in just to tk. His steam profile page even says The Ultimate TKer. What an idiot. I love L4D though.

This thread gave me motivation...

I join a server and start acting like a complete Noob...i mean noob to the fullest. I TK my team mates as if i am trying to kill the zombies. I throw a Molotov to burn ourselves...i don't make any attempt to kill hunters, smoker, etc. I stay behind, wonder around, etc.

And after all that my team was doing everything to get me through the level...just amazing how big the human patience can get sometimes.

L4D is awesome imo. I see a lot of people saying that it's too repetitive and boring but I think it is remarkably entertaining for a game with "so few" features. I mean, there's only a handful of weapons, 2 types of grenades, only a few unique bosses and you're always playing with 4 people. Yet still it's never the same run through of any given level, getting weapons at different points can change the outcome, the timing of attacks can change the outcome, etc. I can play through 1 level once flawlessly and then get completely ganked on it the second go-around.

My solution to break the repetitiveness of playing with the AI was to just get my girlfriend into it, and I have an older windows box sitting in my basement hosting a LAN for us. It's a lot of fun and we'll play a campaign or 2 every couple days. I am, however, GREATLY looking forward to the download pack for it, while the encounters are unique, the environment does get a little boring. Also, the AI is painfully retarded on Advanced or higher, I couldn't beat any of the final levels with them. But it's 10x funner with real people anyways, imo.

While I love L4D overall (mostly due to the fact that I only play with friends), after a few months the same 2 levels for versus games have just grown really stale :(

While I love L4D overall (mostly due to the fact that I only play with friends), after a few months the same 2 levels for versus games have just grown really stale :(

Exactly what alot of us are thinking.

Give us our fucking maps Valve.

Many people are still buying the game as is for 50 bucks I think valve will drop the content when sales really slow down, I'm sure they already have it ready to go out.

Haven't even played it yet and I already feel bored of the game from reading arguments of how boring the game gets after a few weeks.

I still really like L4D. Granted, I only play it a few times a week at the most, but I still have alot of fun when I do play. If I can play with friends it's even better but I don't mind an occassional pub game. If no one is being an asshat I don't mind who I play with. If they suck that just means I have more zombies to kill, hahaha.

I still really like L4D. Granted, I only play it a few times a week at the most, but I still have alot of fun when I do play. If I can play with friends it's even better but I don't mind an occassional pub game. If no one is being an asshat I don't mind who I play with. If they suck that just means I have more zombies to kill, hahaha.

exactly! if you overplay it you will get bored, a bit like any game really.

I tend to have a haunted session a couple of times a week

I played this again for an hour 2 days ago and I gotta say it gets boring going through the same area again and again.

Back