Lets Look a Little Deeper Into This OCZ Issue

OCZ was pretty fast at issuing the RMA. However, SVC also issued a RMA for exchange or credit (-20% restocking).

My concern is since a great number of these PSUs are bad, what's the point in getting a replacement? I haven't seen a thread stating "OCZ has fixed the problem" thus my dilemma. I think there is a very good chance I'll receive another POS. What to do next?

Return it to OCZ and get a replacement
Return it to SVC and get a replacement or store credit.
Get the replacement and keep it or try to sell on ebay

I'm not at all eager to put another one of these PSU's in my system. I was lucky this time because the PSU wouldn't power up. Who knows what will happen next time. It might take my motherboard with it.

Any advice?

CiKoTiC said:
My concern is since a great number of these PSUs are bad, what's the point in getting a replacement?

Any advice?

Read the thread? :p

there is no great number of these supplies that are having problems
they are infact one of the higher performance supplies currently available

still debating between the following:

PowerStream 520
Neopower 480
PCP&C 510 PCI-E

I know the PCP&C is the best, but it's also about $100 more and pretty loud. The Antec and OCZ are pretty similiar, the OCZ does have a 5 year warranty, but I don't like that gay LED fan (yes, I know you can replace it, but bye bye warranty and it's a PITA)

And this is the system I'm planning:

DFI 915P-T12
P4 3.4 LGA
Thermalright XP-120
1GB BH-5
XFX 6600GT PCI-E
Raptor
3 x 250GB SATA drives

Circuitbreaker8 said:
My OCZ Powerstream 520 has been working perfectly since the day I got it. :D

Mine worked perfectly since the day I got it. Until one day I tried to turn my PC on.

And yes Ice Czar, I did read the thread. Along with other forums where people are reporting the same problem.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to be argumentative but the writing is clearly on the wall. There is a problem with the manufacturing of the Powerstream PSUs. All I want is to be sure what I'm going to do with with the replacement when I receive it. I rely on my system for video production and the last thing I need is to keep sending PSU's back because they keep failing.

I had an issue with a 520. They promptly sent me a 600 to replace it. Runs AWESOME. Absolutely the best PSU I have used. Rails stable as could be and runs like a dream. I would getthe rma and go from there. Chances are you are getting a hell of a PSU ;)

CiKoTiC said:
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to be argumentative but the writing is clearly on the wall. There is a problem with the manufacturing of the Powerstream PSUs. All I want is to be sure what I'm going to do with with the replacement when I receive it. I rely on my system for video production and the last thing I need is to keep sending PSU's back because they keep failing.

The PowerStream's are extremely popular and are selling in very large quantities. You can get a bad power supply from anyone. If you would of went with the Antec Neopower it might of done the same thing the PowerStream did. I havn't seen anything to show that a great number of these power supplies are bad when you consider the number being shipped.

OCZ will cross ship you out a new one as soon as you send them a tracking number for the bad one.

Isnt this kind of issue only supposed to happen to "system destoyers" like the X-Connect? this place is too funny.

the case against the X-Connect has been overstated as well
I(ve not heard all that many stories of it frying systems either
its just simply not the high quality supply it was at first made out to be ;)

with any supply the thing you have to keep in mind is that the uninformed will actually beleive the lies that the marketing hype invariably spins, overload the supply and kill a certain portion of boards

thus its a negative feedback loop
those that lie the most suffer the larged kill ratio
they also typically have the most value engineered (read cheap)
protection mechanisms, they generally fail to protect components when the supply is over taxed

neither the Powerstream of the Uoltra are what Id call board killers, especially when you actually run the numbers

well.....:p
my current lineup
PCP&C 510 for the workstation (standard PS\2-ATX form factor)
Zippy MR3-6450P in the NAS ( a 4U N+1)
Ablecom 400 and 350 in the 2Us rackmounts (900 AMD & 700 Celeron) experimental Linux installs\SNORT\Firewall
and an old Antec PP403X for the 1.2GHz AMD browser box

as a matter of fact I just brought the 400 watt Ablecom online, had to repin it from a 24 pin EPS12V to a 20 pin
didnt have a converter, and there wasnt clearence on the board
but I did have all the tools and an extra 20 connector

Back