LG 48CX

A few games you can feel the latency with frame generation. The Witcher 3 is of particular note. It's also pretty bad in Portal RTX. Remnant II and Ratchet & Clank feel fine, though, with Reflex on.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Reflex doesn't work without a VRR display. If you don't have a VRR display you can use the low latency setting in the NVCP, but that has its own quirks.

I don't think you're feeling the latency of frame generation, you're simply feeling the latency of low framerate.
If Portal is only running at a real 20 fps you're getting the laggy feel of 20 fps input no matter what, it doesn't matter if you have frame gen getting you 60 or you're just displaying the raw 20.

Reflex type tech is the only way to mitigate low FPS input lag, but it does it the same with or without frame gen.

Reactions: elvn
like this
A few games you can feel the latency with frame generation. The Witcher 3 is of particular note. It's also pretty bad in Portal RTX. Remnant II and Ratchet & Clank feel fine, though, with Reflex on.

Just tested Witcher3. Honestly, FG on vs off feels equally bad. I remember the bad inputlag in general in this game, but I don't remember being it SO bad. Kinda feels like a bug. If you press sprint and rotate it feels like 500ms lag, wtf lol

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Reflex doesn't work without a VRR display. If you don't have a VRR display you can use the low latency setting in the NVCP, but that has its own quirks.

In any case, I was not able to achieve a satisfactory result in Cyberpunk without VRR + FG. Completely hopeless.

Just tested Witcher3. Honestly, FG on vs off feels equally bad. I remember the bad inputlag in general in this game, but I don't remember being it SO bad. Kinda feels like a bug. If you press sprint and rotate it feels like 500ms lag, wtf lol

In any case, I was not able to achieve a satisfactory result in Cyberpunk without VRR + FG. Completely hopeless.
Instant Game Response turned on?

It was the game settings, setting movement to "alternative" fixed it.

I'm switching back and forth between FG off/DLSS performance/reflex and FG on/DLSS quality/reflex at 4K maxed out, running on the market in Novigrad and I feel the increase in input lag with xbox pad as extremely minimal. Just plain stupid to not use FG in this game, as you can switch to DLSS quality instead of performance, while getting additional 30-35FPS and therefore better motion clarity. Also more stable frametimes if you compare DLSS quality with FG off an on.

FG is a godsent feature in my eyes.

Last edited:

I'm switching back and forth between FG off/DLSS performance/reflex and FG on/DLSS quality/reflex at 4K maxed out, running on the market in Novigrad and I feel the increase in input lag with xbox pad as extremely minimal. Just plain stupid to not use FG in this game, as you can switch to DLSS quality instead of performance, while getting additional 30-35FPS and therefore better motion clarity. Also more stable frametimes if you compare DLSS quality with FG off an on.

Matches my experience. I was iffy on FG in Portal but it has worked well in Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk.

Just tried it in Ratchet and Clank. Playing on a controller I can't tell any increase in latency with FG and the game looks and feels incredible. A real bummer that no new 4K 240Hz monitors are coming out this year since my 4090 with DLSS + FG can get frame rates well above 120/144 so now it just feels like my CX and InnoCN are sorta holding back my setup.

Just tried it in Ratchet and Clank. Playing on a controller I can't tell any increase in latency with FG and the game looks and feels incredible. A real bummer that no new 4K 240Hz monitors are coming out this year since my 4090 with DLSS + FG can get frame rates well above 120/144 so now it just feels like my CX and InnoCN are sorta holding back my setup.

Yeah feels great in R&C too. After Digital Foundry's video I will wait for a patch though. Indeed, 240Hz would be better now :)
If I have performance left I usually use DLDSR on top or I use DLAA instead of DLSS at 4K for better image quality.

Since getting my CX48 3 years ago I occasionally drop by this thread to check in on what others are saying. Me personally, I have checked off the "I'm looking for a new monitor, which one should I buy" box. I won't be needing one until this one dies. Then I'll just buy another Oled. I love easy peasy!

Since getting my CX48 3 years ago I occasionally drop by this thread to check in on what others are saying. Me personally, I have checked off the "I'm looking for a new monitor, which one should I buy" box. I won't be needing one until this one dies. Then I'll just buy another Oled. I love easy peasy!

Yeah because advancements in this size category have literally been non existent for the last 3 years lol. CX C1 C2 C3 all the same shit. If I was looking to upgrade to another 48" I too would be holding off.

Yeah because advancements in this size category have literally been non existent for the last 3 years lol. CX C1 C2 C3 all the same shit. If I was looking to upgrade to another 48" I too would be holding off.
It looks like we'll have to wait until the MLA tech from larger G models is implemented in the smaller C models.

Review: LG G3 (MLA OLED)

And preferably with moar Hz for the FPS'sss 😉

Last edited:
It looks like we'll have to wait until the MLA tech from larger G models is implemented in the smaller C models.

Review: LG G3 (MLA OLED)

And preferably with moar Hz for the FPS'sss 😉
The ABL is even more aggressive than on the C3, but at least it still closely follows the EOTF curve. 2% peak brightness may look impressive, but real scene brightness isn't a huge improvement over the C3. It's still good to see progress being made.

The ABL is even more aggressive than on the C3, but at least it still closely follows the EOTF curve. 2% peak brightness may look impressive, but real scene brightness isn't a huge improvement over the C3. It's still good to see progress being made.

I'd personally go for QD-OLED as my next OLED display since the color performance seems to be quite a bit better than WOLED despite overall brightness between the two being similar.

1691686847250.png

So....does anyone have any good methods to get Starfield looking good on the CX? The game has no native HDR support as well as horrible black level raise in SDR. Special K currently doesn't work for me in this game as it just crashes immediately after loading a save, and since SK is incompatible with DLSS FG and Rivatuner I'm just not going to bother using it at all. So my goal for Starfield is to just get the best looking SDR picture possible with no raised black levels. Any mod recommendations or even TV setting recommendations? John from DigitalFoundry says that he fixed the image quality by adjusting his OLED TV settings but didn't go into detail on what exactly he changed.

Isn't there some way to get AutoHDR working on it? I don't have the game but I heard about that, I think by renaming the .exe and maybe with some mod too.

Quite shocking to have no HDR support though...

So....does anyone have any good methods to get Starfield looking good on the CX? The game has no native HDR support as well as horrible black level raise in SDR. Special K currently doesn't work for me in this game as it just crashes immediately after loading a save, and since SK is incompatible with DLSS FG and Rivatuner I'm just not going to bother using it at all. So my goal for Starfield is to just get the best looking SDR picture possible with no raised black levels. Any mod recommendations or even TV setting recommendations? John from DigitalFoundry says that he fixed the image quality by adjusting his OLED TV settings but didn't go into detail on what exactly he changed.
This mod might be of interest: https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/323?tab=description

Apparently the game has HDR on Xbox but even that has the elevated blacks etc. Bethesda never ceases to amaze with their incompetence.

Yeah and Xbox HDR is capped to 400 nits so that's pretty bad. Game is still pretty fun though and I guess modding the games has always been part of the fun when it comes to Bethesda.
Yeah I'm planning to pick up Starfield in maybe like 6 months or more. By that time most of the major issues should be handled by either patches or mods.

Rockstar and Bethesda games are the ones I do not pick at release. I've learned my lesson.

OK, just checked my full time on with service remote on my CX48 - 4790 hrs.
That is after almost 2 years 9 months of use, ~5-8hrs a day, 5 days a week, OLED light on 15, 100% Windows desktop use - 80% work, 20% YouTube + gaming.
No issues so far. So will probably hit 5K hrs after 3 years of usage.

How about you guys?

That is after almost 2 years 9 months of use, ~5-8hrs a day, 5 days a week, OLED light on 15, 100% Windows desktop use - 80% work, 20% YouTube + gaming.

How about you guys?
Just checked and I am at 13,595 hours. Similar use case except I use mine 7 days a week and my OLED light is on 30.

No issues - still looks great!

Thought I'd update my prior post here. Best Buy replaced my oled 48" panel on my 48cx about 1.5 years ago I think. Now have several dead pixels as well as a pretty obvious burn in line down the center of the screen (use two windows split left and right mostly). Worst are two columns of horizontal banding about 3/4 to the right of the screen. On a grey to grey test they are painfully obvious.

Two panels gone bad in less than 2 years and the constant dimming equals me going to a non oled panel most likely for my replacement of this screen.

Thought I'd update my prior post here. Best Buy replaced my oled 48" panel on my 48cx about 1.5 years ago I think. Now have several dead pixels as well as a pretty obvious burn in line down the center of the screen (use two windows split left and right mostly). Worst are two columns of horizontal banding about 3/4 to the right of the screen. On a grey to grey test they are painfully obvious.

Two panels gone bad in less than 2 years and the constant dimming equals me going to a non oled panel most likely for my replacement of this screen.
I have 3 different OLEDs. No problems with any of of them. Oldest is a C9 with over 8000 hours and a CX with a couple thousand. My Dell DWF is only a few months old tho.

Still using my CX from June 2020 with it's original panel, got just over 6000 hours on it. Zero burn in but I do have A LOT of dead pixels all around the edges of the screen. Definitely in the hundreds of dead pixels now but from my viewing distance it's unnoticeable, gotta get pretty close to be able to spot them.

I have a LG C8 purchased end of 2018 with 11,350 hours on it. No issues whatsoever.

Even if visually there's no issue, I sometimes wonder if at 3 years of use my LG CX 48" is dimmer than when it was new or if the reserves and compensation have kept the performance. I just have no way of testing this.

But it looks good to me and gets bright enough that e.g in Cyberpunk when the "brain dance" sequences initiate, the flash of white is bright enough for me to want to turn away or close my eyes, and the display manages to do full field white for a good bit as it loads.

Close to 15k hours on my CX now, 7 days a week. Just the one black pixel in the far right corner (can't see it unless looking for it and putting your face up close). Flawless other than that, I don't think it got any dimmer at least not in SDR from my last measurements.

You guys are all pretty lucky or I'm just unlucky with panel lottery.

Attachments

• 20230813_195744.jpg
    20230813_195744.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
I have 4 near the very top and never notice them. They're up on the toolbar and I use a dark theme, also I sit pretty far back.

I've got it all along the entire outer edge of the screen but from my viewing distance I can't see them so I guess it's no big deal. I'm not the only one with this problem either so this experience sorta makes it off putting for me in terms of considering another WOLED display.

1696363272094.png

Yeah that's pretty bad. Mine is really on the edge of the screen - as in last pixel before the plastic border. And it's only one so far.

Looked up the dates and I bought the CX48 in 2020, in a year and a half time using it as a monitor (some games, but mostly work) I had probably 30 dead pixels along the outside edge. They replaced the panel in June of 2022 and it ended up being a C1 panel vs CX so a year newer. Now fast forward to Oct. of 23 and I have 3 dead pixels along the edge, a burn in line down the center (worse than any burn in on the last panel) and some extremely noticeable banding marks in two columns on the right side of the screen. The overall picture is still very good, but there's enough day to day issues that I wouldn't go WOled for a monitor again. The backlight dimming has been incredibly annoying on a day to day basis too.

Turns out there is enough warranty to replace the panel again instead of giving me a gift card for the $1500 I paid for it new. LG doesn't update their part numbers so I won't know what panel it is until it arrives. I'm curious if it will be the c3 evo panel as that would be a nice jump in brightness over my current C1 panel.

The moral of the story is to get the 5year geeksquad warranty when using an oled as a monitor. I still have two years left on the warranty and zero dollars basically remaining before they fulfill the warranty with the giftcard.

Turns out there is enough warranty to replace the panel again instead of giving me a gift card for the $1500 I paid for it new. LG doesn't update their part numbers so I won't know what panel it is until it arrives. I'm curious if it will be the c3 evo panel as that would be a nice jump in brightness over my current C1 panel.

The moral of the story is to get the 5year geeksquad warranty when using an oled as a monitor. I still have two years left on the warranty and zero dollars basically remaining before they fulfill the warranty with the giftcard.

Geeksquad warranty only applies to TVs though right? Or can you buy an OLED monitor and still get it?

Geeksquad warranty only applies to TVs though right? Or can you buy an OLED monitor and still get it?
Not sure, I bought the 48cx back when there wasn't such a thing as an oled monitor so they still consider it a tv. It was $350 or something like that, but totally worth it for 2 panel replacements and getting my original purchase price back eventually as I have zero confidence that this new panel will last 2 years without having some kind of issue.

Not sure, I bought the 48cx back when there wasn't such a thing as an oled monitor so they still consider it a tv. It was $350 or something like that, but totally worth it for 2 panel replacements and getting my original purchase price back eventually as I have zero confidence that this new panel will last 2 years without having some kind of issue.

Looks like there is an entirely different warranty for monitors and someone in the Q&A said it does cover burn in.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/4-year-geek-squad-product-replacement/8902028.p?skuId=8902028#:~:text=A Geek Squad® Product,is available) or reimburse you.

1696439140565.png

It's only $30 as well. I'll definitely buy my next OLED display from BB and toss in this warranty then.

1873 hours already on this thing. A few dead pixels along the edges. Though this appears to be very common. I think it arrived with them.

Coming from CRT, I still like this particular model for its BFI, which I have set on high always. Mostly a work machine, but BFI even helps with scrolling text...

How about you guys?
Same here, almost 3 years not 1 problem.

So...the 60 Hz BFI High setting on the CX is also awesome. Quite clear on the UFO Test. I did have to turn up the OLED light. And I see the strobing, but only initially does that seem to be a thing to me. Of course, I also think 48Hz on a CRT looks kind of cool. So maybe I'm just a freak that way. (Talking animation and video, not office productivity apps though.)

I realize I'm about 3 years behind y'all in making these "discoveries". :)

(And they're not still making this thing...the old, "why we can't have nice things" cliche?)

I think those results are with maximum OLED light. Hopefully real life usage will be more kind...

Back