LG 48CX

I have 48CX - how many dead pixels do I need to have to get warranty replacement? Is it in clusters or some amount of single pixels or something like that?
Counted over 30 dead pixels around the edges.

Last edited:
Had my CX since it came out, gets lots of usage on my main box, still perfect.
Heading towards my first anniversary with the CX. It's my main display also. Shows 3356 hours today. Will cross my fingers as to its future longevity. It certainly still seems to me that this display was one of those rare moments when it all came together.
Desk image.JPG

Heading towards my first anniversary with the CX. It's my main display also. Shows 3356 hours today. Will cross my fingers as to its future longevity. It certainly still seems to me that this display was one of those rare moments when it all came together.
View attachment 636068
That was my favorite screensaver to use with my FW-900. I can only assume it pops on that screen.

Shows 3356 hours today.
Checked mine this morning 8,068 hours. Ordered on December 28, 2020.

Not a dead pixel in sight and no burn-in, unless you go looking for it with a very fine comb, nothing that can be seen during regular usage, and then it is from a single game.

Checked mine this morning 8,068 hours. Ordered on December 28, 2020.

Not a dead pixel in sight and no burn-in, unless you go looking for it with a very fine comb, nothing that can be seen during regular usage, and then it is from a single game.
Ride it like you stole it. Enjoy it for what it is while you got it and don’t look back. Burn-in is an inevitability and shouldn’t stop anyone from taking the plunge and enjoying one of the best pictures you’ll ever get to see. My opinion.

Ride it like you stole it. Enjoy it for what it is while you got it and don’t look back. Burn-in is an inevitability and shouldn’t stop anyone from taking the plunge and enjoying one of the best pictures you’ll ever get to see. My opinion.

RTings just updated their burn in testing at 8400 hours. There is actually a massive difference going from the CX to the C2. Looks like the EVO panel (Or is it EX panel? I forgot) found in the C2 is much more resistant to burn in than the non EVO CX. This is 8400 hours of the same content being displayed over and over again.

1708365917259.png

That's an insane difference. CX is already very durable (as far as burn-in goes) but it's wonderful to see further improvement on it. I see the cheaper A1/A2 are faring even better, but they have much lower brightness so that makes sense.

RTings just updated their burn in testing at 8400 hours. There is actually a massive difference going from the CX to the C2. Looks like the EVO panel (Or is it EX panel? I forgot) found in the C2 is much more resistant to burn in than the non EVO CX. This is 8400 hours of the same content being displayed over and over again.

View attachment 636303

A lot of people are already aware of this but Micro lens array tech (MLA) in models that can get it going forward may have to rely on the inclusion of the white subpixels less, or at a different scale. Phosphorescent blue oleds might also provide more resilience where "cheating" a higher perceived brightness via pumping the white subpixel might not be as necessary. So in models that get it, MLA and PhOLED, including from a burn-in avoidance standpoint, might allow the design and firmware choices to fire the white subpixels less, less intensely across a range, inserting white into the higher part of the color volume less. Maybe like a different gradient, a higher gradient starting point in the range where the white starts blending in, diluting color values appreciably.

Less reliance on the white but also, just like the inclusion of white subpixel color brightness can present some higher color values at lower energy/heat states than without the white vs faster "burn down" of the emitters at the same perceived brightness levels otherwise, MLA can do the same type of thing, showing color values at less energy/heat by concentrating the light through the micro lenses. That combined with phos blue OLED, "phOLED" which is much longer lived than the fluorescent blue oleds or stacks of blue fluo-oleds used so far, could both increase the brightness levels and durations while also reducing/delaying the burn-down of the wear evening buffer. The wear evening buffer does a good job of burning all of the emitters down to even again, then pumping the output back up to normal so that you don't see how much you've burned the lifespan of your screen down. Eventually that reserved energy/brightness buffer is exhausted and you are no longer to compensate for burn down of emitters so get increasingly visible burn-in. The static red cnn log and bar on 24/7 would burn down through the wear evening buffer a lot faster than more dynamic content. Like the old corny joke where the doctor says to the patient: "So, what can I help you with? what's the problem?". the patient says to the doctor: "Hey doc, my arm hurts like hell when I hold it like this". Doctor replies: "Don't hold it like that".
Here is how the RTings burn-in test is done (pasted from their page) :
For the duration of this test, each TV will be set up according to our recommended pre-calibration settings for that model, but with the brightness at max. We'll also spot-check these settings to ensure that nothing changes over time due to a firmware update or other bug that could cause the settings to change. For the OLED TVs in this test, we'll enable all panel-saving features, including pixel shift features and additional burn-in prevention mechanisms, like LG's logo luminance adjustment feature.

So potentially, at least in models with phosBlue OLED and better yet phOLED + MLA and depending how the resilience vs. output is balanced, we should eventually get brighter/taller color volume, longer sustained mids and highs, less of the color volume polluted by white, and at the same or most likely even longer lifespans than screens now (regular HDR gaming and media usage - the burn in tests are torture tests).

Last edited:
Also incase anyone wants to see, here's the LG CX at 6 months vs the LG C2 at 14 months. At 6 months into the torture test, the CX is looking about the same as the C2 does at 14 months, maybe even worst. Really goes to show just how much LG has improved the burn in resistance on their panels. I can only imagine the MLA panels are going to be even better in this regard.

CX:
1708546702382.png

C2:
1708546722340.png

Last edited:
Also incase anyone wants to see, here's the LG CX at 6 months vs the LG C2 at 14 months. At 6 months into the torture test, the CX is looking about the same as the C2 does at 14 months, maybe even worst. Really goes to show just how much LG has improved the burn in resistance on their panels. I can only imagine the MLA panels are going to be even better in this regard.

CX:
View attachment 636800

C2:
View attachment 636801

As I understand it, the RTings tests are done at max brightness with the material left on 24/7 as a torture test.

Personally, if watching news programs and things with bars I'd switch to a different picture mode with more reasonable brightness while watching that.. RTings torture test was at max brightness with the tv constantly on. In my more normal usage case, the emitters could potentially last a very long time.

That test is useful to see which models suffer sooner than the others but real world usage should be several years before that happens with some care taken - not using a max brightness named picture setting on news banner SDR material, utilizing the "turn off the screen" emitters feature when afk, when pausing movies or games for a while, or in general when not giving the screen face time.

I think they would last a lot longer than even what I just suggested if OLED manufacturers ever chose to include some manual masking feature capability (rather than only logo dimming). Like if you could go into the osd and pick a rectangle or a circle like the rectangle or circle selection tools in photoshop, resize and drag them over an area and set the opacity to mask static things like tv channel logos, advertisment bars/windows, direct light source spot lighting in static camera position content, or other often irrelevant (and annoying) static screen elements. Then save that as one of a number of selection sets for when you go back to that material again eventually. I don't think it would be hard to do something like that as an overlay. Would be useful to me if they ever did. If I could activate different saved masking sets by voice assistant (like i can now change named picture modes) it would be even more convenient.

In the future perhaps AI could snap selections to screen elements smartly (like magic wand tool in image editing apps), and maybe AI could even fill the bar or logo areas with intelligently imagined pixels that match the actual content scene as if you deleted the bar, banner, or logo. That or allow you to control how (virtually) translucent or darkened you want them to look.

Last edited:
I have 48CX - how many dead pixels do I need to have to get warranty replacement? Is it in clusters or some amount of single pixels or something like that?
Pretty sure 30 would be covered by warranty that seems like a ton

Pretty sure 30 would be covered by warranty that seems like a ton

Agreed, that seems crazy to me. phinix, has the panel been moved around a lot or seen big temperature deltas, like being in non-AC storage? My 48CX has 8000+ hours on it since Jan 2021, and is perfect. I wonder if something changed after LG started seeing huge movement in inventory. I also have a 65CX that I use for my living room TV, it is perfect as well. Bought it a month or two after the 48CX for the desktop because I found it so impressive.

Edit: I was wrong. I was impressed enough with the 48CX that it took me 11 days to order one for the living room.

1708669947834.png

Impressive displays indeed.

Guess I'll be doing a lot more HDR on it. Just got the RTX HDR beta installed. (Along with the requisite Windows 11.)

I have waited an waited on upgrading monitors holding out for the holy grail. i want a big high hrz 4k. i have no clue whats hot these days but i know this monitor has been nothing but good. would yall still recommend a buy for it this current day? If so what exact model am i looking for an where would you recommend i purchase it? Thank you for all input. Or if someone knows of some new latest greats that whoops this please share. And it has to be out now to order no waiting a few months anymore.\

I have waited an waited on upgrading monitors holding out for the holy grail. i want a big high hrz 4k. i have no clue whats hot these days but i know this monitor has been nothing but good. would yall still recommend a buy for it this current day? If so what exact model am i looking for an where would you recommend i purchase it? Thank you for all input. Or if someone knows of some new latest greats that whoops this please share. And it has to be out now to order no waiting a few months anymore.\

The most innovation, from what I've looked at for my likes anyway, is that there is:

. . G95NC 57" FALD VA super-ultrawide. A 7680x2160 s-uw (4k+4k wide) that can do 240hz on amd and 120hz on nvidia (at least nvidia's current gen. currently, prob will be capable of 240Hz on a 5000 series in 2025 but there might be a chance some fw update could allow it on 4000 series). From the different videos I watched and screenshots I took of it, I found it would be too short looking to my perspective from typical seating distance personally.

. . Various 32" 4k OLEDs and QD-OLEDs that are 240hz are just coming out and other models due to release soon, where the oled gaming tvs have been 120hz for the most part (may have been a few that could do 165hz, or when running at lower than 4k rez). The 32" 4k OLED format allows people a much higher PPD when mounted directly on a desk ( PPD is pixels per degree, a measure of the perceived pixel size of a resolution at any given distance), and viewed at more central viewing angles which is also beneficial. That higher PPD (and thus smaller perceived pixel sizes) should help with OLED tech's non-standard subpixel format's effect on fringing things, especially text where the sub-sampling method used to mask how large the pixels actually are is based on standard rgb subpixel layout. I know you said "right now", but while there are a few models just released, I believe there are more competing 32 inch 4k OLEDs due out very soon.

Usually you can look at some of the topmost threads in the "Displays" section. Several of the most interesting displays out and upcoming are usually the most active threads, with a few other threads in the mix.

There are a lot of pros and cons with so many differing specs and screen formats, usage scenarios and room environments, etc. what gpu you have and your upgrade path, even the appeal factors vs price tier, "early adopter" price vs. price later in product cycle. So imo you really have to decide for yourself which would be best, and if (and when) a candidate is a worthwhile upgrade from what you have right now.

Last edited:
The most innovation, from what I've looked at for my likes anyway, is that there is:

. . G95NC 57" FALD VA super-ultrawide. A 7680x2160 s-uw (4k+4k wide) that can do 240hz on amd and 120hz on nvidia (at least nvidia's current gen. currently, prob will be capable of 240Hz on a 5000 series in 2025 but there might be a chance some fw update could allow it on 4000 series). From the different videos I watched and screenshots I took of it, I found it would be too short looking to my perspective from typical seating distance personally.

. . Various 32" 4k OLEDs and QD-OLEDs that are 240hz are just coming out and other models due to release soon, where the oled gaming tvs have been 120hz for the most part (may have been a few that could do 165hz, or when running at lower than 4k rez). The 32" 4k OLED format allows people a much higher PPD when mounted directly on a desk ( PPD is pixels per degree, a measure of the perceived pixel size of a resolution at any given distance), and viewed at more central viewing angles which is also beneficial. That higher PPD (and thus smaller perceived pixel sizes) should help with OLED tech's non-standard subpixel format's effect on fringing things, especially text where the sub-sampling method used to mask how large the pixels actually are is based on standard rgb subpixel layout. I know you said "right now", but while there are a few models just released, I believe there are more competing 32 inch 4k OLEDs due out very soon.

Usually you can look at some of the topmost threads in the "Displays" section. Several of the most interesting displays out and upcoming are usually the most active threads, with a few other threads in the mix.

There are a lot of pros and cons with so many differing specs and screen formats, usage scenarios and room environments, etc. what gpu you have and your upgrade path, even the appeal factors vs price tier, "early adopter" price vs. price later in product cycle. So imo you really have to decide for yourself which would be best, and if (and when) a candidate is a worthwhile upgrade from what you have right now.
Wow!! Thank you so much for the info I am very interested in this neo g9. i just need to see in person. Next question the most i have ever experienced is 144hz do you personally feel that 240hz over the 120hz is a must? I play any an all types of games, so does say CS really have a huge difference or what are your thoughts. An this is why i never upgraded it gets frustrating fast because its like this is around the corner or this feature isnt in here an then its like why am i gonna waste money on something that i dont think is perfect. "problems of being low income lol i like to buy items that i feel have huge longevity" Thank you so much again for your input

We're on the verge of likely getting displayport 2.1 gpus from nvidia in 2025 but that's more of an issue with very high rez + very high hz, and there is displaystream compression that helps squeeze some high rez + high Hz through the existing narrower tubes anyway. That's one of the larger upgrades in the next few years, along with a newer gen of nvidia gpus, but how meaningful or necessary dp 2.1 will be for several years is questionable outside of bleeding edge.

240Hz capable screen will cut your FoV motion blur (sample-and-hold blur, image persistence) down increasingly topping out at cutting the blur by half (compared to 120fpsHz) at 240fpsHz.

You'll also get more motion articulation/motion resolution (more dots on a plotted dotted line curve, more unique animation frames in an animation flip book that is flipping faster) which probably has appreciable gains in look and feel past 200fpsHz.

Some screens can do BFI (black frame insertion) which makes the blur reduction facet less important if you like BFI. Personally I don't like BFI's tradeoffs, and it doesn't work with HDR and VRR for all practical purposes - where I prioritize HDR and "HDR injected/stretched SDR" gaming.

GPU power vs. resolution, bandwidth of ports/cables, and peak Hz.. Most things aren't a "must". Really depends. However it makes less sense to get a very high resolution + high Hz screen for gaming and not get a gpu capable of pushing that resolution at high fps imo. Budget minded, a 1440p screen for gaming is easiest to push high fpsHz (240, 360), but some of the better gpus can fps fill a 4k 120hz decently depending on the game.

You are never going to get perfect, there are always tradeoffs in monitor types, and in competition and tech discoveries/invention there will always be new features, new formats, higher performance, etc. ahead.

That said, if you did buy a higher rez, higher hz screen you could do that planning to buy a more powerful gpu a year or a few yrs. later, even used/refurb/open-box. (Kind of like how people sometimes buy a surround receiver and 2 speakers, then build from there over years to more speakers). A bunch of people bought 48cx OLED, some like me waited for sale prices sub-$1k, but a lot of people were on older gpus (e.g. 1080, 2080) while to get the full 120hz + VRR you needed a 3000 series gpu for it's hdmi 2.1 port. So a lot of people were playing at 60hz until they were able to get a 3000 series gpu later (some used a dp 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 adapter but you couldn't get vrr using that). Anyway point being people bought the screen ahead of time, often well before they had the chance (for various reasons) to get the GPU to drive it.

Last edited:
To my eyes, in this relatively dim room anyway, 120Hz BFI High + RTX HDR looks amazing on the CX.

If I had to buy something else right now then one of the 240 Hz 4K QD-OLEDs. I guess the Asus, which has re-introduced BFI to OLED. Unfortunately, only to SDR, which is perhaps an almost disqualifying BFI limitation at this point. Hope they relent on that. That should be up to the user.

(In contrast to their TVs, I would be weary of the screen coatings on the LG OLED panel monitors. Just saw a review from The Display Guy, though it wasn't discussing a 4K, where he found the coating particularly terrible.)

To my eyes, in this relatively dim room anyway, 120Hz BFI High + RTX HDR looks amazing on the CX.

If I had to buy something else right now then one of the 240 Hz 4K QD-OLEDs. I guess the Asus, which has re-introduced BFI to OLED. Unfortunately, only to SDR, which is perhaps an almost disqualifying BFI limitation at this point. Hope they relent on that. That should be up to the user.

(In contrast to their TVs, I would be weary of the screen coatings on the LG OLED panel monitors. Just saw a review from The Display Guy, though it wasn't discussing a 4K, where he found the coating particularly terrible.)

Matte abraded outer layer raises black depths in non-dim ambient lighting no matter what screen panel tech. QD-OLEDs also may raise blacks by nature of the quantum dot layer. If you want the best black depth, you'd have to use glossy or at least dim to dark viewing environment so that a matte-abraded layer's texture isn't activated by diffused light. (It still diffuses the light coming out of the screen itself though). The clarity can vary between models though, yeah.

Definitely something to consider between all of the different models and manufacturers, like you said. Just like cars, laptops, etc. you can't just go by manufacturer alone as different models and model years can have issues/tradeoffs.

Last edited:
My C1 has been powering itself down after sitting idle for a while. It must be from a recent update because it never did this before. What I like to do is use the "screen off" setting when I walk away to prevent burn in. This leaves the display powered on but the pixels off. I figure it's better to do that than to do a full power cycle a bunch of times each day. But now, when I use "screen off" and let it sit for a while, the display powers itself down. Is there any way to prevent this? I already confirmed that "Energy Saving Step" is off under "Device Self Care".

My C1 has been powering itself down after sitting idle for a while. It must be from a recent update because it never did this before. What I like to do is use the "screen off" setting when I walk away to prevent burn in. This leaves the display powered on but the pixels off. I figure it's better to do that than to do a full power cycle a bunch of times each day. But now, when I use "screen off" and let it sit for a while, the display powers itself down. Is there any way to prevent this? I already confirmed that "Energy Saving Step" is off under "Device Self Care".

My 77" C1 in my living room has always done that but it takes quite a while for it to decide to power it off. I actually like that it does it if I'm away from the tv for that long. I'm not aware of any way to set a timer for that, set a "keep alive" or to disable it. I haven't messed with the service menu at all so idk if there is anything in there.

I haven't noticed it doing it any faster lately but if I do notice I'll let you know. The "turn off the screen" (emitters) trick is very nice to have for sure. I use it all of the time when afk not giving the screen face time.

. . . .

Last edited:
...What I like to do is use the "screen off" setting when I walk away to prevent burn in. This leaves the display powered on but the pixels off. I figure it's better to do that than to do a full power cycle a bunch of times each day...

I would like to know more about this. Any consensus on turning it off, e.g., during a lunch break, versus leaving it on, but in Screen Off mode? Any downside regarding the latter in that the hours counter would continue to run given the counter's relationship to the Pixel Refresher? I'm racking up hours quickly on this display...

I would like to know more about this. Any consensus on turning it off, e.g., during a lunch break, versus leaving it on, but in Screen Off mode? Any downside regarding the latter in that the hours counter would continue to run given the counter's relationship to the Pixel Refresher? I'm racking up hours quickly on this display...

I'm pretty sure it compares the pixel wear, it doesn't just flush them all unnecessarily after # of hours. I don't have a source for that at the moment but I know that they switched to an AI monitoring system for it in newer models to save energy from needing circuitry to monitor that at the pixel level. Energy they could use for somewhat higher brightness supposedly, every bit helps.

I did notice that my C1 dropped off of my Google assistant recently, so maybe fw update broke that. Sucks because I use the stand alone voice assistant device to change picture modes without having to use the remote. I also use it to turn off the screen at night as part of a goodnight routine, or leaving home routine.

I'll have to remove and re add it to the voice assistant at some point to see if I can get it working again.

At this point I'm not sure if the CX continuing to get firmware updates 4 years after launch is a good thing or a bad thing given that all of the major issues are already fixed while the minor ones have gotten ignored all the way until now.

I'm pretty sure it compares the pixel wear, it doesn't just flush them all unnecessarily after # of hours. I don't have a source for that at the moment but I know that they switched to an AI monitoring system for it in newer models to save energy from needing circuitry to monitor that at the pixel level. Energy they could use for somewhat higher brightness supposedly, every bit helps.
Thank you. That sounds encouraging.

At this point I'm not sure if the CX continuing to get firmware updates 4 years after launch is a good thing or a bad thing given that all of the major issues are already fixed while the minor ones have gotten ignored all the way until now.
I'm also somewhat weary of firmware updates. As mine had sat in a box for so long I did one big update to catch it up about a year ago when I first got it. Since then it's been disconnected from the Internet.

Still using my 48CX daily with 0 burn in, this thing is amazing. I'm thinking of buying one of the new 240hz OLED gaming monitors though. I would like to downsize, the 48" remains at the edge of "slightly too large" for me and I'm doing more productivity work than gaming these days. But I wonder if 32" is going to be too much of a reduction. Maybe a C3 42" is a better choice? It's also half the price of the gaming OLEDs.

Last edited:
Still using my 48CX daily with 0 burn in, this thing is amazing. I'm thinking of buying one of the new 240hz OLED gaming monitors though. I would like to downsize, the 48" remains at the edge of "slightly too large" for me and I'm doing more productivity work than gaming these days. But I wonder if 32" is going to be too much of a reduction. Maybe a C3 42" is a better choice? It's also half the price of the gaming OLEDs.

Not really. A C3 is around $700 while the MSI 321URX is $950.

Sorry should have specified I'm in the UK :). Where all the 240hz OLEDs are £1400 for some reason (except the Alienware, but I don't want a curved screen). 42" C3 is 800-900 here, and cheaper on sale which happens fairly often (700 or less).

That appears to be a sale from 4 months ago. They don't sell for "around $700" right now.

I didn't say right now. I just said you can find them for $700, as long as you have the patience. But anyways it's a moot point given hhkb is in the UK.

Sorry should have specified I'm in the UK :). Where all the 240hz OLEDs are £1400 for some reason (except the Alienware, but I don't want a curved screen). 42" C3 is 800-900 here, and cheaper on sale which happens fairly often (700 or less).
I think you're lucky to have the CX. I know I feel lucky. (Sometimes my neck might disagree.) Finding a new 48" CX appears to be impossible at this point. Or almost so...

1) You can't turn off the dimming on the C3. Or you can, but it doesn't stick after you shut off the display. Would be happy to be wrong on that, but that was the last I heard.
2) The CX has advanced hardware based rolling scan BFI, which in terms of motion clarity is similar to having 300 FPS or more. It makes even scrolling text during productivity usage better. To get something similar you'd still have to drop down to a 1440P display presently. And be able to drive it to 300Hz or more in the game of your choice. (Asus is reintroducing literal BFI, not rolling scan, but only for SDR, which given my experience with the CX I'd say is unacceptable now that RTX HDR is here. You should at least have the option...)

Planning to keep the CX, just want a smaller monitor primarily for productivity and FPS games. I think the 480Hz on the new LG 32" oled will also be pretty amazing for motion clarity on older games and I'm eager to try it out.

Interesting about the BFI on CX - I never tried it much though, as I felt the screen got too dim.

I'd check out the BFI High at 120Hz if you haven't. (I certainly do notice it more dramatically dimmer at 60 Hz. Though I am using this for Cyberpunk with the help of some game settings and RTX HDR...)

Well I pulled the trigger on the Alienware as it's the only reasonably priced 32" 240hz OLED in the UK (930 after corporate discount vs 1300+ for everything else!). Let's see how the adjustment from 48"->32" goes :D. Planning to put the 48CX to the side on a separate desk purely for controller gaming.

Last edited:
Back