LG L246W

I went to 3 best buy's and 1 Circuit City and lucky for me they have their boxes out on the floor. I looked at all of them and the highest serial number was 705... Where have you guys found 710 or higher serial numbers on this puppy?

Plus I was messing with one and the brightness was set at 98. When I dropped it down to say 60, the colors became a little more vibrant. I also noticed that the stores never use the HDMI output on the monitor and just used the VGA.

So where are you guys finding these 710 serial number versions?

My best buy had HDMI hooked up to the LG - I saw it this weekend and it looked great.

The boxes were on the floor too so I'll check on the SN's.

I was hoping the price would drop below $599 before I buy,,,,

That would be great... I'm coming up blank on the serial numbers. I am starting to like this monitor for purchasing. I really like the lazy suzan swivel as well as the telescoping of it. You rarely find monitors that do that... I just want a serial number 710 or higher. :(

That would be great... I'm coming up blank on the serial numbers. I am starting to like this monitor for purchasing. I really like the lazy suzan swivel as well as the telescoping of it. You rarely find monitors that do that... I just want a serial number 710 or higher. :(

Why do you need SN 710+?

If their is a revision 2. I rather spend $599.99 on their latest offering then their last. Regardless if their aren't any problems. It's called a "preference"

I think this will be the next monitor I buy, IF the Rev2 doesn't crop PS3 via HDMI . I don't want a TN panel and after 2 messed up Westy 24's this seems like my best bet.

Now here's a little question entirely different about HDMI

In Menu > Screen > HDMI, what's the difference in setting it to Video or PC?

+1 for that question, as I haven't be able to figure out what the differences are either.

anyone?

It changes the overscan. I leave it on video for PS3 and PC use. PS3 still has some slight overscan, PC has none.

It changes the overscan. I leave it on video for PS3 and PC use. PS3 still has some slight overscan, PC has none.

I noted this issue in one of my posts from awhile back:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1236662

I'd say the word "slight" is an understatement. lol What's strange is that when I set the PS3 to output "1080i", the vertical portion actually displays properly with NO cropping whatsoever, but the horizontal portion gets cut of even more?!?! :confused::confused: and is it just me or do things look "sharper" when you set the PS3 to 1080i?

Love the monitor when used with a PC though! Call of Duty 4 looks beautiful on it and is a blast to play... no ghosting, no input lag... simply excellent.

Overscan is less than 5%. I have learned that every monitor there is a little give and take. This one had things I could live with. It is not perfect by any means.

PQ is great on the PS3@1080P, I have never tried 1080i, no reason to really.

Since I got this monitor a few of my buddies have gotten 24's. The screen real estate alone makes it workth it IMO. Next one I want to go bigger. I have not decided on 27, 30, 32, or 37 yet. I like high res so the 30 makes the most sense, but having to go triple SLI and spend close to $1600 on cards is stupid to play a $50 video game. Just my opinion.

As I said before I have no problems with my monitor and was wondering about two details, if you want to share yours and if you have any problems, who knows.

My serial number begins with 704, production date April 2007 and Assembled in Poland.

This monitor seems to have a serious problem when going into 50hz mode if it is exactly 50.000hz in Powerstrip it get's no vsynch and there is tearing when watching 25fps material and when using for example 50.062hz it just drops frames.

Anyone here got a solution to this problem so i can get smooth motion with my PAL (25fps) material ? Because 75hz is only allowed when using VGA in 1920x1200 so 50hz is the last resort.

There's so many pages to decipher, but I can't seem to find any negatives about this monitor.

What's are the cons about this monitor, if any?

All I need is a good color, nonghosting monitor that can support my PC and PS3 (1080p I hope, 1:1 right?).

I've just received the monitor and set it up, bleeding lovely m8, gorgeous.

The default res is 1900x1200, but i've set it at 1900x1080p HDTV, the former res is not HDTV

Which is the better resolution to have playing games?:confused:

I just ordered a Huey Pro and am going to be picking this monitor up today in Best Buy (they did not have very many in stock but they said they would hold one for me and also would price match their online price)...

Anyway once I get the Huey I will get it calibrated and upload the ICC profile....granted its not a great idea to just take it and use it as your own because of the variances panel to panel...but it might at least provide a better starting point...

I just ordered a Huey Pro and am going to be picking this monitor up today in Best Buy (they did not have very many in stock but they said they would hold one for me and also would price match their online price)...

Anyway once I get the Huey I will get it calibrated and upload the ICC profile....granted its not a great idea to just take it and use it as your own because of the variances panel to panel...but it might at least provide a better starting point...

Sounds great since the included icm profile is not working correctly in photoshop it says that it is damaged and if i try to use it anyway to colours get tinted brown when there should be gradient that is from black to white.

Have anyone managed to get the screen working correctly in photoshop in SRGB mode and with the included ICM profile ? SRGB mode also suffers from banding atleast in photoshop while there is no banding in USER mode.

Sounds great since the included icm profile is not working correctly in photoshop it says that it is damaged and if i try to use it anyway to colours get tinted brown when there should be gradient that is from black to white.

Have anyone managed to get the screen working correctly in photoshop in SRGB mode and with the included ICM profile ? SRGB mode also suffers from banding atleast in photoshop while there is no banding in USER mode.

People should stick with USER mode.
I'm at Brightness 60, Contract 80, Colors 100.

I posted this elsewhere, but it may be more fitting here:

I just picked up the LG246WP 24" monitor and have my PC hooked up via DVI->HDMI and my Wii hooked up via component input to my receiver, then from receiver to component in on the monitor. The receiver is a HK AVR-146.

My question is: why does the Wii look better in 480i rather than 480p on the monitor? in interlaced it looks crisp, but progressive looks a bit fizzy around corners. What the...? The main use is for the PC and it looks amazing, but why would progressive look worse via component?

Thanks! :D

Just picked it up and wow it is a worthy replacement for my LG L1920P (PVA).....

I can not wait to get the calibrator and get this thing all set up really nice.....newegg just better get it out today! I paid 2 day shipping so I could have it by the weekend....

Picked up a Samsung 245BW as a work only secondary monitor. I gotta say, the LG blows it out of the water with regards to color reproduction, viewing angles, and resolution support.

Well it does not look like Newegg is getting it out today (even though I ordered last night :( )

looks like I will have to wait til monday to get this properly calibrated....

EDIT: I have a mental disability....I thought it was Wednesday and it is only Tuesday....I should have this by Friday if it goes out tomorrow. :)

EDIT 2: I have a stuck pixel :( I am trying to fix it now I am going to swap it...I know its not supposed to be a big thing but even one stuck pixel drives me up the wall....Best Buy is holding the last L246WP for me....they said someone brought it back because they did not like it so I will get an additional 10% off and that they checked the display and it was fine (I hope there wont be any stuck/dead pixels...they said if somehow there is a stuck pixel they would order another monitor and have it shipped to me...)

Ok so i stick with user mode and the settings described in most of these forums but what about the NVIDIA settings...there is an auto calibrate should i sue that?

Hi,
could someone elaborate why I would want a LG 246 with a serial number starting with 710 or higher ?

There was a discussion belwo about it but no reasons were given as why a 710er is better...

that was the weirdest newegg shipment ever....

I came home from BestBuy and on my door step was my huey pro from newegg....I had just ordered yesterday....stranger yet their site says it has not shipped yet....and it also came from a 3rd party warehouse not one of newegg's...did not even know they used a 3rd party at all?

Also, in relation to the monitor....they put back the wrong one but they also still had the second L246WP....unfortunately the screen had a nice gash in it and the returns person noticed it before he even handed it to me....so I got the cash back and I guess I am probably going with an FW900....

Dont buy this POS i just got it from BB 204 S/N after looking for a 710 for like 2 days...now i get it and its banding just as bad as my gateway 2485w...it also flickers with "LIGHT ON BLACK" text and graphics......this is unacceptable .....

Dont buy this POS i just got it from BB 204 S/N after looking for a 710 for like 2 days...now i get it and its banding just as bad as my gateway 2485w...it also flickers with "LIGHT ON BLACK" text and graphics......this is unacceptable .....
I was fully impressed with it except for the pixel....banding was almost non-existent looking at a gradient (as compared to the Gateway HD2200 which had atrocious banding...)

If it had not been for the pixel issue I would have this monitor right now....

by the way take this as an unsubstantiated rumor but the best buy guy told me they were not getting any more of the L246WP coming in and they think its because a new model is coming out...

he's wrong, best buy will still have them in stock for a while. THe manager at my local BB looked it up while i was there for a pricematch :D

Well, after much looking about, I got this monitor from BB yesterday. They price matched their online store, and gave me 50$ off for getting an open box item, so the total came to about ~$470 w/ tax. I was wary about getting an open box monitor, but it seems to work find, no dead pixels or anything. I will need to do a bit more looking to make sure.

Are there any specific things I should look for when testing it?

Oh, and TF2 is awesome on this monitor.

he's wrong, best buy will still have them in stock for a while. THe manager at my local BB looked it up while i was there for a pricematch :D
figures....thats why I generally ignore them lol....

Well, after much looking about, I got this monitor from BB yesterday. They price matched their online store, and gave me 50$ off for getting an open box item, so the total came to about ~$470 w/ tax. I was wary about getting an open box monitor, but it seems to work find, no dead pixels or anything. I will need to do a bit more looking to make sure.

Are there any specific things I should look for when testing it?

Oh, and TF2 is awesome on this monitor.

woohoo, that's the game i'll be playing most. was thinking of going by there today and seeing what stock they still had.

The only issue I can tell is the slight buzzing on sRGB mode when brightness <98. I have SN#704, April 2007. I will try and swap for another at BB to see if it goes away. If not then I'll live with it as it's the best monitor around for the $500 mark right now.

I folded and picked one up as well. 704 serial number. The thing is I don't have a DVI card, I'm using this on a Dell computer with VGA out (Intel onboard) and I have no buzzing whatsoever. 0 dead pixels as well. I don't have many options available obviously because of using the VGA. Blacks could be a little better, but that's probably because I really haven't tweaked it too much, just dropped the brightness down to like 50 and contrast to 80. Red, Green, Blue, are all maxed out though.

What I do notice though is this thing scales (if that what scales mean?)... My original desktop was 1280x1024 and it put my desktop in the middle of the screen with 1280x1024, same goes for 800x600, etc... This happened to me before on a Samsung 244t, but I couldn't reproduce it anymore.

Is the scaling or whatever it's called video card dependant?

Are the trails visible on 245W when you move / spin this Prad test image around? Does the white and gray rects leave any afterglow?

I just tried what you suggested and yeah, when I minimize the window so I can drag it all around the screen it leaves an after glow of the window in the white background. You can make out about 20 or so then it dissappears. None of the test pattern color's blend though which I'm extremely happy about that. It just leaves like vertical lines of the window in the white background of the window. I'm using a VGA input so I'm not sure if that's common with that input or not.

Edit: I just switched to the sRGB mode from user mode and the after glow of the window in the white background of the window is gone now... So sRGB mode cured that. Still no buzzing sound in sRGB mode.

Oh and one more thing, Mine came set at 41 brightness in 6500K mode, When I flipped to each setting the 6500K mode was set at 41 brightness. Is it usually set to 100 brightness?

I'm curious what does this "buzzing" sound supposed to sound like? Because this monitor is absolutely gorgeous with the colors and it's on a VGA input. When I get my 8800GT I can't wait to see what this puppy looks like then! Anyone care to make a .mp3 of the buzzing sound?

No buzzing sound here, never was.

I loved it on XP. I switched to vista recently, and apparently the nvidia vista drivers do not allow you to turn off the monitor scaling. :(

Lame lame lame!

Back