Lian-Li A05: Upgrade path

Ok this rocks.

I have a Neo2 I am not using... but that is not what makes it awsome.

I too am an AGP holdout and it is nice to see some new work done on the platform.

You should consider a 7800gs. They are wonderful to mod and overclock, and I think you can fit a waterblock to them (although you cannot easily fit any aftermarket air coolers).

It's nice to see you get to 3.0ghz on that 175.

Oh! What clocks are you able to get on the 6800gt? Even with volt modding I could only get 410/1120. That was with a zalman vf900. I would think it would do better on water.

Cheers.

Ok this rocks.

I have a Neo2 I am not using... but that is not what makes it awsome.

I too am an AGP holdout and it is nice to see some new work done on the platform.

You should consider a 7800gs. They are wonderful to mod and overclock, and I think you can fit a waterblock to them (although you cannot easily fit any aftermarket air coolers).

It's nice to see you get to 3.0ghz on that 175.

Oh! What clocks are you able to get on the 6800gt? Even with volt modding I could only get 410/1120. That was with a zalman vf900. I would think it would do better on water.

Cheers.

thanks for the comments.

i currently have the 6800GT running at 420 / 1100 with no mods - just an MCW60 waterblock...

:)

Good clocks. That waterblock of yours covers the BGA chips... you should throw 1.5v into the core and see if you can reach Ultra Extreme Ed. clocks.

could you show some detail pics of how you modded the drive bay to take the stealth cover?

pretty please :D

could you show some detail pics of how you modded the drive bay to take the stealth cover?

pretty please :D

sure. so basically the holes for the bezel and the holes on the case don't line up.
Second, there are rivets on the case that protrude out and interfere with the bezel.
So you basically have to dremel two sections on each side (both left and right) on the bezel...

the screw holes and offending rivets:

1.jpg

original bezel:

2.jpg

where I grinded / dremeled:

red = elongating hole to line up w/ screw holes
green = making room for the rivet

3a.jpg

hey stormshadow, could you fix the pics? I'd really like to see how you modded the cover as well...

ah crud...

does photobucket base it on monthly bandwidth? hmmm... how to fix...?

I know its a pain, but maybe put them up on imageshack?

http://imageshack.us/

personally I'd just like to see the latest pics, I caught the earlier ones before they went down. thx. :)

I gotta agree, bandwidth limit sucks, and I'd like to see these pics.

-Rannoch

i picked my radgrill up from ppc.

i believe there are several places that sell them and there are now new designs as well.

i picked my radgrill up from ppc.

i believe there are several places that sell them and there are now new designs as well.

I know I'm late to the A05 party..but a question..did you install your radgrillz or did you let PPC do it ..??

how much r those matrix things?? and what do i need to set one up?? how much do they usually cost?

That is a very nice little build you've got there, but PLEASE get some more hose clamps in there, even if they're zip ties. You're giving me a fucking ulcer!

beauty of 7/16 on 1/2 barbs.
24/7 for almost 6 months straight...
not one leak. or any refilling for that matter.
but yea - it doesn't mean i'm against putting ties or clamps.

i'm in the process of re-doing my whole system. I'll put together a worklog and use a ton of clamps. Just for you :D

beauty of 7/16 on 1/2 barbs.
24/7 for almost 6 months straight...
not one leak. or any refilling for that matter.
I've been using 7/16" over 1/2" since January with zero problems as well, but I still put worm clamps on all my connections.

Have you got any pics of the cut you made for the top rad? I'm thinking of putting two 120's at the top of my a05 and i'd like an idea of what kind of cut to make.

MCR220.

PA's weren't even an option considering i was already losing PCI slots with the MCR.

Would this fit? I want to be able to use as many PCI slots as I can so I need the thinnest radiator. It is smaller in length and thickness but it is slightly wider.

Would this fit? I want to be able to use as many PCI slots as I can so I need the thinnest radiator. It is smaller in length and thickness but it is slightly wider.

if oriented in the same fashion as mine, then yes. that would fit fine. There is enough room on each side to compensate for the slighty wider Black Ice rad.

worse case scenario - you could even off set the rad away from the mobo a little.

Well, I think I am going to copy your design. The only difference is that I won't put a block on my gpu until I get something that will last me for than 6 months (my PCI-e slot would be alot happier with a 9800gtx). I'll take plenty of pics :D

alright - about to embark on some changes to my setup.

plans include a new mobo, more waterblocks, an additional rad and new vid card. Of course, keeping it all internal.
also looking to bling out the case a bit with a new reservoir, lighting and a window.

here's one of the many parts that need to be ordered.

8800GTS w/ EK waterblock

DSCN8213.jpg

Well, I think I am going to copy your design. The only difference is that I won't put a block on my gpu until I get something that will last me for than 6 months (my PCI-e slot would be alot happier with a 9800gtx). I'll take plenty of pics :D

yea. I'm still using AGP (!!!) so i got a used 8800GTS to hold me over until the 9800 arrives.
Got a deal from the FS forums here and it came w/ a great waterblock.

btw - does anyone know if the main EK 8800 block (the copper part) is interchangeable between GTS and GTX?

I know the black extension parts are different but I'm wondering if the main block is the same and swappable...

So I ended up copying your setup with a mcr220 on top of my case. It just barely fits, and the side of the rad is directly contacting some connectors on the top of my mobo. I think this is causing a lot of vibration noise, however. Are you getting the same thing?

Thanks!

So I ended up copying your setup with a mcr220 on top of my case. It just barely fits, and the side of the rad is directly contacting some connectors on the top of my mobo. I think this is causing a lot of vibration noise, however. Are you getting the same thing?

Thanks!

it's definitely a really tight fit but no vibrations. Are those vibrations for sure coming from the mobo connectors?
I found that it wasn't a perfectly flat flush fit between my radgrill, case top, fan and rads. Had to crank it down a coupla 1/8 turns to make sure everything was sandwiched together properly.

I'll take a coupla pics during my teardown of the gap btwn mobo connectors and rad for reference if that helps.

Thanks for the reply...

So I reversed the fans on top to exhaust instead of intake, and the weird vibration noise went away. So I guess it wasn't the contact with the motherboard that was causing a vibration noise, but rather the wind being pulled through radgrill?

I thought it was vibration b/c it was like a variable humming sound (like a vacuum cleaner in a few rooms over).

It sounds much better now for some reason. My only concern is now that I'm not directly blowing air onto the ramsinks on my video card. Do you think exhausting will be enough to cool those, especially if turn the bottom two fans into intakes?

Anyone know what happened to the Lian Li a05 thread in the case section? I lost it.:confused:

hmm... anyone know what happened to page 5? Where did all my new update posts go?

Back