DSCN8319.jpg

Blocks tested and mounted:

DSCN8333.jpg

DSCN8344.jpg

DSCN8357.jpg

DSCN8366.jpg

DSCN8371.jpg

Radiator to chipset looks kinked.

You can put some metal rings or smartcoils around that, fix it right up.

thx for the comments but

a.) it's chipset to radiator :)
b.) not kinked. must be the angle of that shot. i'll post up another pic from a different angle...

temporary test setup.

zip-tied the pump / mount to it's approximate final position...

DSCN8430.jpg

LOOP:

-----------PUMP----------
--------^---------V-------
-------RES------CPU-----
----MCR220----NB------
------SB-----MOSFETS--
---8800GTS<-MCR220--

Great idea on how to mount the pump :) Going to be a pain to change out / add HD's if you ever need to but the actual setup looks awesome! Ive never seen anyone watercool the mofsets before either. Pretty sweet.

realized that the Corsair HX620 PSU won't work in my setup since the modular inputs get in the way of the reservoir.
Returning that and picking up a Seasonic M12 700W today.

will post pics.

Awesome build, I've been keeping an Eye on this one, as I am about to upgrade my 2yr old A64 3800+, and was looking for a new smaller case for a Quad Q6600. :D

I have a couple of questions for you regarding this case.

1. How many HDD do you have, and where do you intend to mount them? If you have 1, I figure you will use the FDD bay. But if you have 2 or 3, where will they all go?

2. With the Rad at the bottom, are you going to put the back 120mm fan on the outside of the case, and will it still be setup as reverse airflow (back to front)?

3. Are your Rad fans setup for intake or exhaust, or a combo (bottom in, top out)?

4. Depending upon how the Rad airflow is configured, will you be putting some kind of dust filter over your Fan intakes?

5. It appears you don't have room for any PCI cards in this system (but room for a second Vid card should you need it);). Are you just using the onboard Sound only then?

6. Even though the Corsair HX620 is a highly rated PSU, I find that I tend to use nearly all the connectors on a PSU, and Modular one's get messy when you have all the connectors attached, so good choice with the Seasonic. Be sure to mod it, so the wires come out the side (instead of the back) for a cleaner look.:)

Couple more questions for you...;)

For my own build (which I will eventually be posting a worklog on here as well), I was thinking about putting a double or triple rad out the back of the case (for better cooling considering I'll be getting a Q6600 G0 CPU). In your opinion, is one double Rad enough for a Quad in this case if that is all the Rad is going to do (as long as I don't try some monster OC like 3.6Ghz or higher)?

Not sure what drives you have (I have Raptors which are kinda noisy), but mounting them in front with the fan in front of them, do you tend to hear your HDD's through the case (since it's so open in front)?

Keep up the great work, and thanks for answering some of my pestering questions.:D

Awesome build, I've been keeping an Eye on this one, as I am about to upgrade my 2yr old A64 3800+, and was looking for a new smaller case for a Quad Q6600. :D

I have a couple of questions for you regarding this case.

1. How many HDD do you have, and where do you intend to mount them? If you have 1, I figure you will use the FDD bay. But if you have 2 or 3, where will they all go?
The A05 has a HDD rack in the front middle of the case that can carry 3 HDD's. My setup has two HDD's

2. With the Rad at the bottom, are you going to put the back 120mm fan on the outside of the case, and will it still be setup as reverse airflow (back to front)?
I don't intend to run a rear fan. I bought a blank-out plate to cover that 120mm hole. I'll have plenty of airflow from the rad fans

3. Are your Rad fans setup for intake or exhaust, or a combo (bottom in, top out)?
Airflow in my setup goes from bottom to top. Bottom rad/fans pull air up into the case and the upper rad/fan setup pulls air out from the top of the case

4. Depending upon how the Rad airflow is configured, will you be putting some kind of dust filter over your Fan intakes?
no. filters are for wimps lol. but in all seriousness, i'll just have to be more diligent about periodically vaccumming / blowing air to clean the case

5. It appears you don't have room for any PCI cards in this system (but room for a second Vid card should you need it);). Are you just using the onboard Sound only then?
X-Fi Gamer is in the works. lower profile card and fits right over the SB block

6. Even though the Corsair HX620 is a highly rated PSU, I find that I tend to use nearly all the connectors on a PSU, and Modular one's get messy when you have all the connectors attached, so good choice with the Seasonic. Be sure to mod it, so the wires come out the side (instead of the back) for a cleaner look.:)

Couple more questions for you...;)

For my own build (which I will eventually be posting a worklog on here as well), I was thinking about putting a double or triple rad out the back of the case (for better cooling considering I'll be getting a Q6600 G0 CPU). In your opinion, is one double Rad enough for a Quad in this case if that is all the Rad is going to do (as long as I don't try some monster OC like 3.6Ghz or higher)?
i always thought an external rad would look pretty good with this case. an external 240 rad would match nicely height-wise with the barbs on the bottom pointing towards the case. You can then use an internal rad on the bottom of the case if you want to go 2x240. this would also allow you to make use of all the PCI expansion slots. The problem there would be tubing since both rads would be fighting for the same space for barbs / tubing. Me personally, i love to keep everything internal.

Not sure what drives you have (I have Raptors which are kinda noisy), but mounting them in front with the fan in front of them, do you tend to hear your HDD's through the case (since it's so open in front)?
The A05 comes w/ HDD dampening mounts but yes - you can still hear the HDD's

Keep up the great work, and thanks for answering some of my pestering questions.:D
thx for the comments and questions :)
answers in orange above

Thanks for all the answers, I really appreciate it.:D But of course I have a few more...;)

Currently I have my Raptor's in a Watercooled Box http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4520), which keeps them nice and quiet (as well as cool). Would there be enough room on the bottom of the case (between the Powersupply and back fan) to put this box, or would it stick up too high and get in the way of the motherboard?

Hmmm, come to think of it, your Rad is 35mm high (I believe) and your fans are 25mm (60mm total) and the HDD cooler is 75mm high. So I guess I'm just wondering how much higher would 15mm be than your Rad and Fans at the bottom? Didn't want the box to cause problems with the CPU waterblock or back fan.

Another question would be, if I put the HDD on the bottom of the case, would they fix sideways on the bottom (power and sata connectors coming out toward the motherboard). I could probably get rid of the HDD cooler, and just place the HDD on the bottom of the case for air cooling if they would fit like that. Maybe even put each drive in one of these silent boxes http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=211&products_id=4611.

I can tell, my build is going to take awhile, as I have way to many ideas going through my head.:eek:

Again, thanks for all the info. Oh, and I guess it got deleted (page 5, damn database error), but is your new CPU a Quad?

no - it's a 939 opteron 175

got a coupla parts in today...

x-fi gamer
DSCN8469.jpg

seasonic M12 700W modular PSU
DSCN8470.jpg

this should hold me over for a while...
DSCN8472.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a Matrix Orbital display. What do you use yours for? What can it be used for?
It looks so cool!:D

Previously, my Matrix Orbital displays CPU temp, GPU temp, and CPU voltage.

The motherborad i had previously didn't really jive well w/ speedfan / everest / MBM etc. My new motherboard seems to have a more friendlier interaction w/ those monitoring programs so I intend to use the Matrix Orbital for much more with this build.

i'll put up some screenies and pics once I get that all dialed in.

The macro photos of the EK blocks look great. I really enjoy them. Nice work.

Just one question...
If possible, could you beef up the pump supports and/or lengthen the tubing to the CPU block? The lean in the support takes away from the symmetry.

Nice job. I like it.

Very nice indeed... I am extremely happy with the purchase of the A05 case. It's small, yet so much fits...

If possible, could you beef up the pump supports and/or lengthen the tubing to the CPU block? The lean in the support takes away from the symmetry.

Nice job. I like it.

I was thinking the same thing. Even if he can't, its amazing all that's been done in such a small space. I love my ao5. Best case I've ever owned. This is old school case modding/fabrication at its finest.

hmmm. thanks guys for the comments. now that you mention it, the pump's droop is starting to bug me...

and yea - the I could prolly do w/o the 90* barbs now that i look at it. When i laid it out in 2D, i thought there was going to be a more loop-to-loop look to the tubing but after building it out, it doesnt have that. So no real reason to have that tubing get in the way of the GFX block inlet.

and the micro res can't get much higher (on the other side) because the 5.25 drive bays protrude into its space... now i'm thinking maybe a new res that's directly connected to the Alphacool top... hmmm. damn you guys.

Nice thread. I'm getting ready to upgrade my A05, and trying to choose a PSU ... question for you - I see you went from the Corsair to the Seasonic. Isn't the Seasonic you chose modular as well? Is the location of the connectors better on the Seasonic? Oops ... I reread the comments on the PSU. Did you mod it so the cables come out the side?

Nice thread. I'm getting ready to upgrade my A05, and trying to choose a PSU ... question for you - I see you went from the Corsair to the Seasonic. Isn't the Seasonic you chose modular as well? Is the location of the connectors better on the Seasonic? Oops ... I reread the comments on the PSU. Did you mod it so the cables come out the side?

the modular connections on the corsair run along the length of the PSU - and in the case of my build, it would have been running along the bottom and interfering w/ my lower radiator.

the Seasonic has its connections towards one side and most of the connections cleared my radiator.

The Corsair wouldn't have been an issue if I flipped it upside down but I wanted the intake fan to be at the bottom like the radiator fans.

Once again stormshadow I really love what you're doing. I was going to do a V600 build some time ago but my local store didn't have much Lian Li selection so I just went with a P180. I don't hate the case, really, but it's way too big and heavy. I've always wanted something compact with a lot of cooling potential. This thread has kind of reminded me of that - so I'm going to completely copy your idea :p

I'm worried however that my DVD drive would be too long, since yours so barely fits. What are the dimensions of your drive?

lian li cases are soooooo elegant looking then adding water cooling + nice hardware = :drool nice build :D

Back