Memory cards

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a D90 and I'm looking to purchase 3 memory cards. The sandisk are popular but they cost a lot. 3 exteme sandisks cost over $200 and even the ultras would be $80 for 3. What are some other poular brand names? Is the only difference in speed when uploading the photos to the PC? Because I could care less about that.

Write speeds could affect how fast you write to the card, if your camera can actually use the speed of the card.

According to this page, the D90 is a pretty speedy writer with cards in the same speed class as the Sandisk Extremes.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9597

It really depends on you - if you take JPEGs, a non-extreme card should be fine. Extreme cards would be really useful if you shot a lot of pictures in a row, all the time, and you shot in RAW.

Aside from that, I have a mix of Sandisk, Lexar, Crucial, and Kingston cards.

Costco has pretty good prices on some of the new Ultra cards that do 30MB/s

I have 2 Extreme III 8gb cards that I use w/ my D90 (~450 RAW shots per card) . But those have been filling up quickly lately 'cause I start to have an attachment to my "best of" shots on there that I can't bear to delete; and over the course of a year or two that starts to be a lot of photos.

I've been meaning to pick up another card, either an 8gb or 16gb, but had also been balking at the price.

If you don't have any cards for your camera yet, I'd say pick up the 8gb for starters and see how it goes from there. Why exactly did you need 3 cards again? You didn't specify a size, but I'm pretty sure the 8gb should last you a good week or two at least. ;)

edit - nm, screw Extreme III :p - I just found the 16gb class-10 card! This would be the one to get. My budget is not going to be happy with me for this...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have 2 Extreme III 8gb cards that I use w/ my D90 (~450 RAW shots per card) . But those have been filling up quickly lately 'cause I start to have an attachment to my "best of" shots on there that I can't bear to delete; and over the course of a year or two that starts to be a lot of photos.

So why not back them up to something else so you can empty the cards?

Like maybe DVD or external hard drive.. and for offsite unlimited storage/archiving, you can even map an external backup drive as a local folder so you can backup via Carbonite.

So why not back them up to something else so you can empty the cards?

Like maybe DVD or external hard drive.. and for offsite unlimited storage/archiving, you can even map an external backup drive as a local folder so you can backup via Carbonite.

"best of" shots on there that I can't bear to delete

This ^^ :p I just like having a few of the best-of shots on the camera so when people pick up my camera, they can take a look at some of my shots on there. I already have them all backed up elsewhere, but I can't bring myself to delete some of the old ones off my older cards. I am constantly weeding out shots that aren't needed, and generally try to keep the "best-of" set to around 30-50 shots that always stay on the card - this doesn't really take up all that much space, unless I just get lazy and forget to delete stuff for a while.

Btw, I picked up another 8gb Sandisk Class-6 card for my recent CO trip instead of the 16gb Class-10. I haven't had any problems at all with the Extreme III's so far - imo, they're fine for shooting w/ the D90. In a solid week of shooting I filled up 1 8gb card and about half of another one, so I didn't really even need the extra card for the trip. 2x 8gb cards seem to be about the limit of what I can shoot in any outing before I'm back at the computer and ready to offload; and in the amount of time that takes me, it’s not a big deal to swap out a card every once in a while.

Back