Microsoft Announces Office 365

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp. today announced Microsoft Office 365, the company’s next generation in cloud productivity that brings together Microsoft Office, SharePoint Online, Exchange Online and Lync Online in an always-up-to-date cloud service. Office 365 makes it easier for millions more organizations to get and use Microsoft’s award-winning business productivity solutions via the cloud. With Office 365, people can work together more easily from anywhere on virtually any device, while collaborating with others inside and outside their organization in a simple and highly secure way. As part of today’s news, Microsoft is also opening a limited beta program for Office 365 in 13 countries and regions.

hrmmm I am sure there are a lot of over paid wintel server admins that are too happy about this...

This looks very promising for the company I work for and hopefully will get us off of Office 2003 for good. The CIO wants to next Office to be in the cloud and this might be the one.

This looks very promising for the company I work for and hopefully will get us off of Office 2003 for good. The CIO wants to next Office to be in the cloud and this might be the one.

What do you have against 2003?

IMHO, it's leaps and bounds better than 2007. Haven't tried 2010 yet.

I'll do anything to avoid that stupid ribbon interface.

Zarathustra[H];1036317234 said:
Oh, silly me. I thought it was a Wholefoods Organic product :p

265x265px-LS-365-organic-quackn-bites.JPG

Im most interested in the sharepoint integration Sharepoint, IMO is one of the best things MS has done in a long time, really good for collaboration and file sharing and workgroups.

Zarathustra[H];1036317237 said:

There are things that 2003 can't do that 2007-2010 can. For instance some of the reporting features in Excel can't be properly duplicated to users running 2003. Same goes for Macros and such. I realize the interface might not be for everyone but eventually you have to move on.

I don't mind '03. What absolutely kills me is switching from '03 (at work) to '07 (at home and at school)

There are things I know how to do in '03, but not in '07, and vice versa.

Haven't tried '10 yet. Is 365 an add-on or a completely new version?

I use OfficeLive.com for a "cloud" (shared webspace you can save files to for a multiple users), maybe this is an advancement on that.

There are things that 2003 can't do that 2007-2010 can. For instance some of the reporting features in Excel can't be properly duplicated to users running 2003. Same goes for Macros and such. I realize the interface might not be for everyone but eventually you have to move on.

Its a small price to pay to not have to use that horror of a user interface.

What could they ahve been thinking?

"Lets see. Let's take something EVERYONE IN THE WORLD knows, undersntads and is familliar with and change it for no apparent reason without any apparent benefit, just to mess with them."

I'm all for change when it is actually beneficial. The Ribbon interface is just plain stupidity.

It would be easier if everyone just shunned 2007 and 2010 and stayed with 2003 :p

To add to this. Everywhere I have wored in the last 5 years have used 2003, including where I work today.

Every time I get a .docx attachment on a new computer I curse the sender because they are sending incompatible files, and I have to go digging through Microsofts maze of a webpage for the compatibility patch again, and then have to get IT on the line to install the damned thing, cause I don't have admin rights to my work machine.

At school (I am going for my masters) we have 2007. The first time I was forced to use that awful piece of sotware was about a year and a half ago when I needed to print a paper in th elibrary, cause I forgot to do so before coming to class.

I spent 20 minutes looking for the damned print button, before I remembered that I could hit ctrl-p and print without dealing with the god-awful ribbon interface. It made me late for class.

Sicne then I ahve avoided 2007 completely.

It depends

Office 2003 is still a very capable suit of applications that can do pretty much most of the stuff people need. But the ribbon interface and added new features of Office 2010 is a no brainer

All Office suits since 2003 are great programs

Zarathustra[H];1036317571 said:

"Lets see. Let's take something EVERYONE IN THE WORLD knows, undersntads and is familliar with and change it for no apparent reason without any apparent benefit, just to mess with them."

I'm all for change when it is actually beneficial. The Ribbon interface is just plain stupidity.

It would be easier if everyone just shunned 2007 and 2010 and stayed with 2003 :p

The Ribbon is GREAT on touch screen devices and new users love it and old ones eventually either adapt or begin to love it.

We migrated almost 300,000 user from Office 2003 to Office 2007 in about 18 months. Took a lot of work but we have HUNDREDS of add-in and extensions to Office throughout the company.

And as for the compatibility pack, we deployed it companywide, had users on both 2003 and 2010 for a while and didn't have any real issues, .docx and .xlsx files were all around and 2003 used them with no problems.

The classic menu system was just old, too hard to navigate and discover for new users and wasn't good for touch screens.

If the is priced right it's definitely going to be interesting for Google Docs.

Using a combination of 2003/2007 at the office.
XP & office 2003 for the non-technical users on old P4 systems.
XP & office 2007 for the more advanced users.
Windows 7 64 bit & office 2007 on the new systems.

Currently looking at switching to office 2010 to support online archiving on the exchange 2010 server I'm almost finished rolling out. Biggest problem is training the non-technical users on the new office interface. Just wish they where as technically astute as my 10 year old who moved from office 2003 to 2007 with no problem or training :)

2010 is sweet. I really did not like 2007 myself, but 2010 is really a good piece of software.

Using a combination of 2003/2007 at the office.
XP & office 2003 for the non-technical users on old P4 systems.
XP & office 2007 for the more advanced users.
Windows 7 64 bit & office 2007 on the new systems.

Currently looking at switching to office 2010 to support online archiving on the exchange 2010 server I'm almost finished rolling out. Biggest problem is training the non-technical users on the new office interface. Just wish they where as technically astute as my 10 year old who moved from office 2003 to 2007 with no problem or training :)

That's not the real issue, the real issue is that the users are to comfortable or in better words lazy to relearn anything new.

That's not the real issue, the real issue is that the users are to comfortable or in better words lazy to relearn anything new.

Either that, or learning a new office interface is like #378 on our priority list. We have projects to complete, jobs to do, and are already - in some cases - working 12 hour days. There simply is no time to waste learning a new interface unless we REALLY have to.

You haven't met some of my office staff, saying they are non-technical is being nice. :)
I wonder how some of them are even able to use the microwave.

I know this is a small annoyance being fixed, but in Excel 2010 when you're highlighting cells and pull the cursor off the bottom of the screen to highlight faster, the pace slows down as it approaches the end of a set of data...it's helpful to me at any rate.

Zarathustra[H];1036317571 said:

If that was the case we should have never stopped using DOS.

I don't mind '03. What absolutely kills me is switching from '03 (at work) to '07 (at home and at school)

There are things I know how to do in '03, but not in '07, and vice versa.

Haven't tried '10 yet. Is 365 an add-on or a completely new version?

I use OfficeLive.com for a "cloud" (shared webspace you can save files to for a multiple users), maybe this is an advancement on that.

It is a grouping of software. For a "low" monthly fee you get office (either just as a web app or for the desktop depending on the account type, desktop version is Office Professional Plus), exchange, sharepoint and lync (their communication platform that give you IM, voice calling, and web conference). This is to allow a company to get office with exchange without having to go out and buy office for all the computers and deploy their own exchange server, and also will always give them the current version of this technology without them having to always upgrade their software. For a small business they are given the stuff without any need to worry about IT, for larger companies they are given more access the stuff for mangement / configuration needs.

You haven't met some of my office staff, saying they are non-technical is being nice. :)
I wonder how some of them are even able to use the microwave.

Where i work is the same way. And yet nobody have had any trouble with 2007 or 2010. Some even got those on newer home machines or for school use before using it at work and wanted to know when they would get it here at work. Everyone that i have upgraded from 2000 to 2010 loved the upgrade and found it so much better to use.

Back