Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 is now available

tesfaye

2[H]4U
Title says it all! Trials seem to up for download as well. I'm downloading now at 700k-2Mb/sec. Which reminds me, I have to check out some of the many articles they have been posting on the new features.

Thanks! Looked it up on Dreamspark, is there no way to get a key there, yet?

I posted and then ran off to watch tv. Under my subscription, I don't see a key, the product is pre-pidded.

Saw some of the launch yesterday, looks very cool. I've been meaning to dust off my C# skills recently. Will need to put another request in at work for the upgrade.

Too bad the full version is not free like Eclipse, otherwise I might actually try it.

Too bad you get what you pay for... except for the Express editions. Then you get much much more than you pay for... Still holds pretty well for Eclipse though.

Been using the RC since release. I'm loving the PPL. Lambdas are great. Solid release.

This is the first time in a very long time that I haven't tried the beta version of a product that I use on a regular basis. I've read some snippets on PPL and it looks pretty cool, I have some work coming up that should benefit a little from it, I just need to get the bits installed and toy around with it. If only I had more time! I'm in the middle of image development for a company wide desktop upgrade along with other systems upgrades.

Hrmmm... does the Release version actually work properly?

I still have the RC version and it gives an error when I try to set up 64-bit build options. It also gives weird errors when converting some VS2008 projects.

Not sure about biz/dream spark, but the msdn copies I've used are pre-keyed.

It's on there as an .img file. Why can't they just post it as an iso like everything else?

For anyone getting it on dreamspark, just changing the extension to .iso works fine and mine is almost done installing.

Not sure about biz/dream spark, but the msdn copies I've used are pre-keyed.

Dreamspark ones do as well.

I have to say, I'm loving the interface changes. Best feature so far (~5 minutes of playing with it) is how moving the cursor to one variable/function/etc highlights all instances of it in the same block of code. One thing I haven't yet figured out is why it gives you the ability to view code the two separate views (within the same panel but separated by a splitter).

Last edited:
I just installed VS2010 Pro trial.

The first thing that struck me was that I didn't like the UI compared to VS2005 and VS2008. The colors just didn't work for me.

Luckily, there is a VS2010 extension that allows you to change the UI colors.
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/20cd93a2-c435-4d00-a797-499f16402378

cyclone3d said:
Hrmmm... does the Release version actually work properly?

I still have the RC version and it gives an error when I try to set up 64-bit build options. It also gives weird errors when converting some VS2008 projects.

x64 build set ups work fine for me.

Snowknight26 said:
I have to say, I'm loving the interface changes. Best feature so far (~5 minutes of playing with it) is how moving the cursor to one variable/function/etc highlights all instances of it in the same block of code. One thing I haven't yet figured out is why it gives you the ability to view code the two separate views (within the same panel but separated by a splitter).

Finally they put this feature in. Say you're editing a file, and you have to constantly move around the file between two locations in the file...this is useful for cases like that. Or for writing, say, text documents and you want to refer back to old stuff but without having to move your point of editing.

Finally they put this feature in. Say you're editing a file, and you have to constantly move around the file between two locations in the file...this is useful for cases like that. Or for writing, say, text documents and you want to refer back to old stuff but without having to move your point of editing.

VS has has this feature for a long time. I just checked my 2005, and its there. As far as I can recall it's been there since VS6.

It can be a lot flashier than normal forms and more flexible. I can't think of any non legacy reason to not use WPF going forward.

It can be a lot flashier than normal forms and more flexible. I can't think of any non legacy reason to not use WPF going forward.
Cool, I'll look into it. It would be nice to pretty up the interface of some of my apps without adding too much development time.

Thanks

I could never justify the extra time it takes to do the equivalent in wpf over good ol' winforms. I hope this has changed with the new version on VS (downloading a trial now), because as much I love winforms, some of the stupid designer bugs really piss me off.

Also it's a shame the testing tool improvements seem to be reserved only to those who are willing to lay down some SERIOUS cash. But I'm pretty sure they will pay for themselves over time but it is still a tough pill to swallow. I think Id be more lightly to buy both of the professional editions (thanks MS I love the way you always seem to bill me twice ;)).

I'm just tinkering right now with WPF, and am enjoying the Routed Handler feature. It really simplifies much of the coding for making other controls/objects (both design-time declared and runtime declared) more aware of application-wide updates/changes.

Hopefully they've made it work better on computers with large font sizes, and hopefully they got rid of that obnoxious bring to top behavior it had with mouseover-to-focus

Back