Monitor Calibration Systems and you!

Since PCs and DVDs use a different colour space, the calibration wouldn't be valid for stand-alone DVD playback anyway.

I'd still go for the suite though. ;)

Just curious, and probably a dumb question, but with these calibration systems, can I also do a calibration of my new 37" LCD TV?

Since PCs and DVDs use a different colour space, the calibration wouldn't be valid for stand-alone DVD playback anyway.

I'd still go for the suite though. ;)

The suite is intriguing and also expensive. The one problem I envision is the fact that the PC and the HD-DVD player will both be using the same DVI port. So even if I did get the suite, would I have to calibrate each time I wanted to switch between DVD and PC?

Thanks

Questions regarding TVs and related formats would probably be better answered in somewhere like AVS Forum. They have a dedicated board for calibration discussion. I'm really not well versed in the area. I will say that a suite designed for PC use probably won't support the required target, but I could be wrong.

As far as the express v suite goes, since the express works exclusively via ICC profiles it's effects will only be seen in colour-aware environments (so no dice in games etc.).

My question referred to the phenomenon that I may have perfect colours on my calibrated display, but my printer will churn out different colours. Or different hues and saturation, rather. How can I match my printer to my display? I tried Photoshop printer colour management in 11 different modes, but none came near to what my screen showed.
I read that Spyder2Suite or Pro also include software for that. Anyway, I ordered a Spyder 2 for the time being, because I needed a colorineter anyway, and I'll see what it does. Later, I may additionally buy the ColorEyes software, but I'll try out the demo first. Those two are the only systems that are intersting for me as I have Vista.And while doing this, I can see what the Spyder2 printer calibration software does.

My question referred to the phenomenon that I may have perfect colours on my calibrated display, but my printer will churn out different colours. Or different hues and saturation, rather. How can I match my printer to my display? I tried Photoshop printer colour management in 11 different modes, but none came near to what my screen showed.
I read that Spyder2Suite or Pro also include software for that. Anyway, I ordered a Spyder 2 for the time being, because I needed a colorineter anyway, and I'll see what it does. Later, I may additionally buy the ColorEyes software, but I'll try out the demo first. Those two are the only systems that are intersting for me as I have Vista.And while doing this, I can see what the Spyder2 printer calibration software does.

Here's a good link that I find explains it well. :)
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/soft-proofing.shtml

Tamlin, I knew Photoshop had more in it tha nI ever used. But i am learning, thanks to your very helpful and knowledgeable attitude. I said it before: you are simply GREAT! :)

Thank you. :) I've been through the same jungle of color management earlier, so I can fully understand how hard it can be to put the pieces together in order to get an operational workflow. Luminous landscape has been a great help there!

So what would be required to calibrate a CRT and an LCD on the same PC? To be specific, a Dell P991 CRT, and a LG 246WP LCD connected to a BFG 8800GTX OC, on a PC running XP Pro.

So what would be required to calibrate a CRT and an LCD on the same PC? To be specific, a Dell P991 CRT, and a LG 246WP LCD connected to a BFG 8800GTX OC, on a PC running XP Pro.

A hardware calibrator like a Spyder or a pantone one eye display2.

CRT's and LCD's calibrate very differently, you couldnt calibrate them the same if they were hooked up at the same time.
The results will look very different from each other.
I would do any color work you have to do on the CRT separately.

Well darn. Since my old setup was a CPD-G400 and the P991 side by side, I replaced the G400 with the LG246WP because the G400 was on its last legs, and I've noticed that my CRT seems washed out compared to it. Now, it is quite possible that the CRT is closer to calibrated than the LCD, but I was hoping that it would be possible to calibrate both monitors (obviously they wouldn't share the same profile) to be similarly accurate.

One thing I noticed on Colorvision's site is that the Spyder2 Pro package has multiple display support, but I'm somewhat turned off by the pricetag and was hoping that there's a cheaper solution out there.

Back