Motherboard will no apply overclock.

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got an Intel Dz77sl-50k motherboard with a 3770K.

It's got a plethora of overclocking options... I've got any power saving features I could find turned off in the BIOS and the multiplier set at 40.

Yet... it never takes effect. No matter where I set it... it simply doesn't change.

I've also noticed watching CPUz that the speed jumps between 1.5 and 3.5GHz.. Isn't that speedstep (That I thought I had turned off) or is it something in the hardware thats not changeable?

that thing of change from balanced mode to high performance will not work its useless. be sure in BIOS that Turbo its enabled, that all cores are set to 40, and also be sure that in the CPU power management set the CPU multiplier to 40, i know from a few intel boards that turbo mode and CPU multiplier have to be the same. but that was solved with a BIOS update, so i will also recommend to update your BIOS.. also you can have all the Power saving features enabled and C States enabled without any issue, just be sure that turbo are enabled together with EIST....

I've got something similar going on with my board. The OC is set to 4.6 but it won't exceed 4.3 under 100% load.

Subbing and will post if I figure it out.

I would not reset the CMOS. If it were corrupt it wouldnt boot.

Only if registers that affect the boot process are corrupt which isnt the case.
Any part of the CMOS memory can be corrupt. Its far more likely that a small part/byte is corrupt than all of it. Its not possible to say that a corrupt CMOS will definitely cause it not to boot.

There is no harm in resetting the CMOS other than losing settings, its wise to write any changes down first.

that thing of change from balanced mode to high performance will not work its useless. be sure in BIOS that Turbo its enabled, that all cores are set to 40, and also be sure that in the CPU power management set the CPU multiplier to 40, i know from a few intel boards that turbo mode and CPU multiplier have to be the same. but that was solved with a BIOS update, so i will also recommend to update your BIOS.. also you can have all the Power saving features enabled and C States enabled without any issue, just be sure that turbo are enabled together with EIST....

I'm running the latest BIOS dated 4/2013 (i beleive).

So.. Turbo has to be enabled to overclock? I came from a Phenom X2 where i just set the multiplier and went.. I assume this is not the case anymore with Intel?

I really want to know why Turbo would have to be enabled unless Intel has a totally different way of doing things between LGA 1150 and LGA 2011.

I always have turbo disabled as well as power saving when I am testing an overclock.

I usually leave power saving features off in the end as the multiplier jumping around hurts performance in games and other applications.

I would go ahead and clear the CMOS and see if that fixes it. If not, try flashing the latest BIOS again. It sounds like something is messed up in the BIOS.

If that doesn't fix it, you may need to RMA the board.

I'm running the latest BIOS dated 4/2013 (i beleive).

So.. Turbo has to be enabled to overclock? I came from a Phenom X2 where i just set the multiplier and went.. I assume this is not the case anymore with Intel?

if you want to use EIST turbo must be enabled yes or yes.. the things are way different from AMD to Intel.

I really want to know why Turbo would have to be enabled unless Intel has a totally different way of doing things between LGA 1150 and LGA 2011.

I always have turbo disabled as well as power saving when I am testing an overclock.

I usually leave power saving features off in the end as the multiplier jumping around hurts performance in games and other applications.

I would go ahead and clear the CMOS and see if that fixes it. If not, try flashing the latest BIOS again. It sounds like something is messed up in the BIOS.

If that doesn't fix it, you may need to RMA the board.

you are talking about that 3820? those socket 2011 3820, 3930K, 4930K overclock way different than 115X... and in fact actually even the 2011 flagships 39x0X and 4960X can only be overclocked via turbo.. as i said above in order to enjoy some Power saving features and EIST turbo MUST be enabled.

with my 3770K if i disable Turbo Mode and i want to keep EIST and other C states then my max multiplier its 35, if i go above that then Turbo Mode its automatically enabled and become gray after that number being unable to disable it..

Have you disabled the Power saving features and the C States?

I've disabled everything I can find regarding power saving. If I save, in the "proposed" field it lists the multiplier where I want it but, it never actually applies.

I'm thinkin I may just grab a different board in the future... I don't really NEED to overclock.. its PLENTY fast (fastest system I've ever had) considering the heaviest game I play is Red Orchestra 2.

Thanks for the help guys but, I think I'll just let this go for now.

if you want to use EIST turbo must be enabled yes or yes.. the things are way different from AMD to Intel.

you are talking about that 3820? those socket 2011 3820, 3930K, 4930K overclock way different than 115X... and in fact actually even the 2011 flagships 39x0X and 4960X can only be overclocked via turbo.. as i said above in order to enjoy some Power saving features and EIST turbo MUST be enabled.

with my 3770K if i disable Turbo Mode and i want to keep EIST and other C states then my max multiplier its 35, if i go above that then Turbo Mode its automatically enabled and become gray after that number being unable to disable it..

Actually, I have Turbo disabled. The multiplier is partly unlocked.. 6 bins higher than the stock of 36 I believe. And no, you don't only have to overclock only via the CPU multiplier. On 2011, you can, at the very least, bump the base clock up to 125. I am running 128blck with a 38 multiplier right now.

does the motherboard has a switch called TCPU or TPU (or something like that), I accidentally put my mobo's switch for that on the other side and whenever I try to OC it goes to an OC that I didn't set, seems like an auto OC feature but when I put it back my OC went thru.

my mobo is an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe.

Back