MX700 painting :), Mouse done, base next (pics)

Hey Stress how'd you do that with your keyboard?! :eek: Looks freak'in awesome!

nice, my first mx700 wore out, so I tried to give it a nice painting, but I ended up screwing it up. It's ok because the right click kept sticking. My new one is showing a lot of wear. The buttons dont even have the type anymore and where the fingers rest is showing a lot of black through the silver.

damn.
How did you make the logos still visible even after you painted them?
That is one sexy looking thing.

Stress - When you did the keyboard paint mod with the buttons.... did the original "decal" on the button pop out through all that paint, or you had to get a new decal set? I'm just curious since I'm not sure if it will actually cover it up.

That's hell of a mod for both your KB and Mouse - makes me want to do one of my own - my Logitech Elite (wired) keyboard and my "almost worn out" MX-700. :D

Also how did you get the base unit apart
I dont see any visible screws and im afraid to pry it apart

I also looked at previous posts and didnt see any info

Thanks

There are two crosshairs on the bottom of the base - you have to see it up close to find them.

That's what I can see from here. Only two.

CrimandEvil said:
Hey Stress how'd you do that with your keyboard?! :eek: Looks freak'in awesome!

jpm4 said:
damn.
How did you make the logos still visible even after you painted them?
That is one sexy looking thing.

AdmiralTiger said:
Stress - When you did the keyboard paint mod with the buttons.... did the original "decal" on the button pop out through all that paint, or you had to get a new decal set? I'm just curious since I'm not sure if it will actually cover it up.

That's hell of a mod for both your KB and Mouse - makes me want to do one of my own - my Logitech Elite (wired) keyboard and my "almost worn out" MX-700. :D

Alright, let me explain something about this paint system. The duplicolor paint uses the base paint (Ground Coat is what it's called) as the reflective backdrop. The color (red in this case) is just a tinted clear paint. Meaning you can see through it. This works nicely as the buttons and some of the fascia are silver already. Same (Almost) color as the Ground Coat paint. So you just clean real well and shoot the red, or blue or whatever your color is. So, no decal work, it just comes through the clear red paint :p This is the same thing I did on the buttons on the mouse,

Frozen8950 said:
Also how did you get the base unit apart
I dont see any visible screws and im afraid to pry it apart

I also looked at previous posts and didnt see any info

Thanks

I assume you are referring to the mouse charging cradle. There are two screws under the label on the bottom of the unit. if you look next to the left and right rubber pads under the base and a little towards the front a pinch, you will look closely and see a small + cut into the label. Push a small Phillips screw driver through these slits to get to the screws

As you did the buttons on both of the mouse and the keyboard, you didn't have to do any sanding at all for these two, or else you'd lose the silly logos on these things? I know it's an "Hey, Mr. Obvious" question. Correct me if I'm wrong anyway.

Man, this looks awesome... considering it for my logitech wireless mouse/kb, maybe even the z-640s :-D. I ought to do this to all my stuff... swingline stapler is prolly what ill practice on, then Vtech phone ... viewsonic monitor... honda accord outside.....

Anyway, approx how much is that paint?

AdmiralTiger said:
As you did the buttons on both of the mouse and the keyboard, you didn't have to do any sanding at all for these two, or else you'd lose the silly logos on these things? I know it's an "Hey, Mr. Obvious" question. Correct me if I'm wrong anyway.

correct, no sanding on the buttons

foreignkid said:
Man, this looks awesome... considering it for my logitech wireless mouse/kb, maybe even the z-640s :-D. I ought to do this to all my stuff... swingline stapler is prolly what ill practice on, then Vtech phone ... viewsonic monitor... honda accord outside.....

Anyway, approx how much is that paint?
5 to 6 bucks ea.

STRESSTEST said:
news update... I started on the KB tonight.... :) (FU Heretic for motivating me) On with the saga.....

Can't let you puss out and not a have matching keyboard and mouse. Now to do your nostromo. ;)

Damn thanks for the info now I'm going to have to do up my MS natural Keyboard :D

Damn you and your digital pictures.
I liked the look so much i just hacked apart my MX Duo..

My computer case is blue so i got the metalic blue of the same brand. This was also my first bondo job, came out really well. I did the top of the mouse and the buttons and the cradle. I also ripped my keyboard apart. Did the casing the buttons and the buttons on the left side. I left the center gray and the top left and right black but everything else is blue.
Ill get some pictures posted soon.

Thanks for the motivation and i also hope your not upset that everyone is copying you now :)

nah man. I think it's great to get ppl motivated to do mods. If I was worried about ppl coping me, do you think I'd post here to the thousands? lol. Copy away! More pics coming in an hour or so

woah how did u get those details in? seriously that is an awsome job with the buttons

okay.. this is bad.. i've read through the entire post.. but don't remember what i read :D
so just a quick question

when you painted the mouse, did you do anything to first remove the original silver coating? cuz i remember you saying something about how the primer and paint are both translucent, so stuff underneath comes through

just asking because i've used this mouse so long that i've somehow stripped portions of the paint totally off.. and it looks like crap

Ok i did mine but i have never ever painted anything before so i have a few questions
(although its already to late.. ill have the knowlage for next time)

ok..

1. I waited about 30-45 minutes between the silver and the blue (i used blue insted of red) and now i read that you should wait 5-6 hours.. If i dont use any lights or anything how long should i wait.

2. I did this.. basicly.. sanded with a 220 then an 800 and shot the base coat.. waited about 4 hours and resanded with the 800 and shot another base coat.. then just shot a blue coat about 45 minutes later. Whats wrong with that.

3. Somthing is wrong with my blue can or i held it wrong but blue drops of paint landed in about 10 spots. How should i go about fixing this?
Just sand that section down and respray blue?

4. Also i had a lot of runs on the cradle because of to much paint. Do you spray from top down? i tried many different methods and i still see runs.

5. Last question... I dont know if some parts are drying faster than others but some parts of my keyboard are shiny metallic and some are solid blue? Was I supposed to just use a real light spray or cake it on? or does it matter with this paint?

Thanks

1. I waited about 30-45 minutes between the silver and the blue (i used blue insted of red) and now i read that you should wait 5-6 hours.. If i dont use any lights or anything how long should i wait.

Following the instructions on the product is what I recomend for folks that don't have a lot of painting expierance. They should be what you follow

2. I did this.. basicly.. sanded with a 220 then an 800 and shot the base coat.. waited about 4 hours and resanded with the 800 and shot another base coat.. then just shot a blue coat about 45 minutes later. Whats wrong with that.

Nothing as long as the paint is dry enough to work with. I wet sanded everything in my process

3. Somthing is wrong with my blue can or i held it wrong but blue drops of paint landed in about 10 spots. How should i go about fixing this?
Just sand that section down and respray blue?

Sounds like your can is getting caked up, clean the spray tip. I had this happen on the base coat on mine, so I wet sanded till they were almost gone and re-shot

4. Also i had a lot of runs on the cradle because of to much paint. Do you spray from top down? i tried many different methods and i still see runs.

read the directions on the can. It tells you how far you need to be when you shoot. Use light coats and do several

5. Last question... I dont know if some parts are drying faster than others but some parts of my keyboard are shiny metallic and some are solid blue? Was I supposed to just use a real light spray or cake it on? or does it matter with this paint?

Never cake it on, this is why you have runs.

I just got an MX700, and that looks so nice I may have to attempt it sometime.

I'm going to give this a shot with the duplicolor "Mirage" two-tone paints on my MX 500. Gonna go out to the auto store (K-mart didn't have the paint) and pick some up, along with a little bondo and some sandpaper. I'll take pics when I'm done.

hmm, on the charging cradle/base station, how did you remove the black plastic thing in the back portion of the front

it's the part that would be where the red circle is
mx700_6-edited.jpg

sorry, stole one of your pics to make a small example

on the underside you will see the 3 melted points, just cut them off with a razor blade and pop it off from underneath. once you are ready to re-assemble, just use a dab of super glue on the center pin and slide it back in quickly.

I have various hole punches.. One looks like a screw driver but with a tiny flat tip.. i just pushed it through the 3 holes and the piece slid out.. getting it back in was mildly difficult but i got it back in and its stuck in place

(thats if you dont want to perminatly attach it with superglue)

how much paint did you use when you painted yours? i've done about 4 coats of green paint (i'm definately stopping at the 5th coat) and the can is noticeably lighter. maybe i'm using too much paint?

edit: yeah.. i think i overdid it.. by a lot ;p
i should have stopped at the 3rd coat
but at least i know for next time

to give you an idea, I did the mouse, cradle and keyboard with the same can and there is still over 1/3 in it.

hey, a stupid question here...but is the sanding of the mouse just for removing the original colour? or is it to let teh colour stick on? because if i wanted to spray a generic type of mouse....i wouldn't need to sand rite?

thx, oh, and do you kno of another brand of spraypaint with polished-looking white as one of their colours?

no idea.. Run down to the biggest autoparts store you have in town and look through their selection.

here's what i have so far...
IMG_0229-edited-(curing).jpg

IMG_0230-edited-(curing).jpg

i guess i have to wait.. 5 days? for it to cure.. then put it back together.
i'll probably start on the cradle tomorrow when i wake up

yeah.. i was too lazy to take it off.. and i thought it might look good :D
lol, oh well

Very nice looking mice.

Edit: Nevermind I actually read the faq, noob power!

Well just giving you some props on that mouse and keyboard looks damn good. Ill have to see how the blues look when they dry, as I want to do some blue acents on the system I am building.

That and some blue LEDs and a small fan in the mouse might be fun.

-Robert

Very nice. I have to get around to painting my very own cheap no-name MX700 knock-off POS... Well, you get the idea.

Ok i dont mod often so im gonna need these instructions in the simplest terms possible. I understand i need to :
1. unscrew 1 screw near the top of the underside of the mouse(under the labeling)
2. unscrew 1 screw in the battery compartment
3. unscrew 9 more visible screws
4. take off the back and forward buttons
5. take off the top
6. ply the logitech label off
7. use bondo to fill in the hole
8. use the metal cast paint without the grounding paint so the arrows on the back and forward buttons still show up
9. reassemble

and i understand the cradle all except the connect button if someone can go into more detail about gettin it out.

Thanks to anyone who replys to this(and ill edit this post if it needs corrections)

Back