My 3007-HC is on order

I'm really curious to see this compared to the HP L3065. I was originally going to get the Dell but when the release was delayed so long I decided to pay a bit more for the HP. I also like that the HP has 3 DVI ports instead of the Dell's 1. Does anyone know if they use the exact same panel and backlighting? Is there any review out there that has a side by side, I really want to make sure that my monitor will hold it's own. If, for some reason, the Dell blows it away, I can still send it back for a full refund.

Thanks and congrats to those who just got their gorgeous new screens.

The monitors are identical in terms of panel and backlighting (and therefore, performance), according to the hothardware article here (last page). The only difference is the 3 inputs. If you're happy with it, stick with it. Also, have you messed around with using a HDMI -> DVI converter to hook up other devices?

I haven't done any HDMI->DVI conversion yet with this monitor but I imagine it will be a breeze. I have a home theater setup with multiple devices using HDMI->DVI cables (and vice versa) and have never had a problem. Any decent hybrid cable to seems to work flawlessly regardless of which particular devices it's interfacing with. I think the standards are pretty compatible.

Glad to see that I will be happy with my purchase. I must say that I do like the Dell's base stand a bit more aesthetically, but I've heard that the HP's offers more adjustment options. And the 3 DVI versus the Dell's single makes it a no brainer. With 3 DVI ports, I can run my laptop, desktop, and cable box (HD DVR) simultaneously through this beast effortlessly. On the dell I'd have to either buy an extra switch or receiver (which would be at least another $200+ and add more clutter to my workspace).

After reading that review (thanks for the link, Sniggle) it seems like the HP is the best buy for anyone planning to use multiple devices through the monitor. For those who just want to use it as a computer monitor, the Dell may be better since it's a bit cheaper, seems to have a nicer base (although I can't confirm without seeing both in person), and has the USB reader.

What kind of warranty does the dell have? I think it was not as good as HP's 3 years of parts, labor, and on-site service but I may be mistaken.

The bottom line is that anyone with either of these amazing monitors should be a very proud and satisfied owner.

Most of us are getting the monitor including the 3 year complete exchange warranty for no extra cost. They seem to like throwing this stuff in on such a high end component. The sales rep literally told me "you can throw a hammer at this monitor in 2 and a half years and get another one no problem."

What happens when you send a 1080i or p signal through the HDMI -> DVI converter on this particular panel? Does it stretch or center? I wonder if there's such a thing as a multi DVI splitter so one could theoretically convert the Dell into the HP with an external device. I currently have no HDMI devices so it's not a problem, but it would be interesting to know what options I have. It will be nice to ditch this external card reader too with the one on the Dell (although it's such a minor addition).

sales rep literally told me "you can throw a hammer at this monitor in 2 and a half years and get another one no problem."
QUOTE]

He told me the same thing, although i havent seen the proof in writing, so i hope in 2 years 11 months, when all of our monitors have tragic accidents, that this is true!!

Pretty lame that in FL we can't get Complete Care. The state has some law against companies offering any kind of insurance unless they're sanctioned by the state.

I haven't done any HDMI->DVI conversion yet with this monitor but I imagine it will be a breeze. I have a home theater setup with multiple devices using HDMI->DVI cables (and vice versa) and have never had a problem. Any decent hybrid cable to seems to work flawlessly regardless of which particular devices it's interfacing with. I think the standards are pretty compatible.

Glad to see that I will be happy with my purchase. I must say that I do like the Dell's base stand a bit more aesthetically, but I've heard that the HP's offers more adjustment options. And the 3 DVI versus the Dell's single makes it a no brainer. With 3 DVI ports, I can run my laptop, desktop, and cable box (HD DVR) simultaneously through this beast effortlessly. On the dell I'd have to either buy an extra switch or receiver (which would be at least another $200+ and add more clutter to my workspace).

After reading that review (thanks for the link, Sniggle) it seems like the HP is the best buy for anyone planning to use multiple devices through the monitor. For those who just want to use it as a computer monitor, the Dell may be better since it's a bit cheaper, seems to have a nicer base (although I can't confirm without seeing both in person), and has the USB reader.
HDMI is pin to pin compatible SL-DVI.. 3007/HP's needs DL-DVI for full 2560x1600 res. only DL-DVI graphic port from desktop/laptop could be used with the monitor. Not console/cable box/hd-dvd/bluray player.

edit- maybe with ps3's through hdmi port running linux with resolution at 1280x800

Hi all,

Here's what I wrote:

Hi Mr. Unrein,
I read the reviews you and Mr. Altavilla did of the new 30" monitors
based on the LM3001WQ1 panel, and saw the pictures of movies that were played
to show the image quality.

I, and a number of people I know, have bought either the Dell or HP version of
this monitor, but we've not heard a definitive answer as to the best way to use the
monitors with video players, due to dual-link requirements of these 2560 x 1600
displays.

Do any of the Hothardware staff have suggestions as to the best methods/hardware
to use when watching movies or cable with the 30" monitors? Any rumors of new
video cards or standards on the horizon that will make this easier or take advantage
of the extra resolution of these LCD's?

If there's a FAQ or resource page that covers this I haven't seen it, if you know of
one and could pass on the URL I'll send it to the others I know. If you decide this
is a worth-while subject to write about, I look forward to seeing the article!

If he responds with any info, I'll pass it on. If anyone in this thread knows about
good resources for using the 30" monitors with video, please post them!

CAMster

I think it's getting to the point where upcoming top of the line video cards will have HD input standard. If this is the case, you could just hook up an HD video device to your video card and let it do the stretching for you (which should look quite good). This is not a perfect fix, but I think it will work nicely.

If he responds with any info, I'll pass it on. If anyone in this thread knows about

CAMster

From what i've seen there are virtually no scalers that are dual-link and support 2560x1600. Most however can be configured to output at 1280x800 which the 30" displays accept, I've tried this using my friends DVDO iScan HD+ and it works well deinterlacing and/or scaling all sources to 1280x800. Pretty much any decent video processor will work although none of them are particularly cheap.

From what i've seen there are virtually no scalers that are dual-link and support 2560x1600. Most however can be configured to output at 1280x800 which the 30" displays accept, I've tried this using my friends DVDO iScan HD+ and it works well deinterlacing and/or scaling all sources to 1280x800. Pretty much any decent video processor will work although none of them are particularly cheap.

Hi Squeezee,
I'm hoping there'll be ways to take advantage of all the pixel goodness of the 3007/3065,
and somehow use the 1920 x 1080 HD output scaled to 2560 x 1440 or so. It may be
more than current standards/hardware allows, but I hope there'll be ways of doing this
in the near future.

Funny - I rationalized this purchase by saying "it's for work" (and it is), but I do have
cable here at my business, and it seems a shame not to be able to play HD on the
new display. Maybe I should avoid this (good-bye productivity...).

CAMster

streaming non HDCP protected content at 1080i, to 2560x1600 could be done with the Intensity blackmagic card for USD 250 or so.

I should be getting my 3007 tomorrow (3/6) so I'll try to post some pics ASAP. Could be a very restless night... :eek:

I got my new rig running, and this monitor is amazing! Not a single dead pixel, the colors are noticably better, and the size is incredible.

I got my new rig running, and this monitor is amazing! Not a single dead pixel, the colors are noticably better, and the size is incredible.

pics please! want to see the vivid colors :D hehe....

here is a pic of my apple cinema 30" playing farcry.... using no flash camera is a sony N1 8.1 megapixels:

DSC03601.jpg

My 3007-HC is in! I just got it set up about 25 minutes ago, so first impressions:

• Brightness is quite good. Not quite as good as my 20WMGX2, but it can't be obviously.
  • No dead or stuck pixels. Backlight uniformity is very good.
  • Really dislike the matte finish. I am so used to the glossy finish of the NEC, but I'll have to get used to the matte. It's so visible to me because of what I'm used to.
  • HUGE. But not too big (yet). I'll leave it at that.
  • Runs CS:Source @ 4xAF 0xAA pretty well. Played office at a very consistent 90-100 fps. I really want to crank the eye candy though, so an 8800 Ultra or 8900GTX or R600 is definitely in my future

I'll work on pics in a bit. So far I am very pleased though! :D

My 3007-HC is in! I just got it set up about 25 minutes ago, so first impressions:

• Brightness is quite good. Not quite as good as my 20WMGX2, but it can't be obviously.
  • No dead or stuck pixels. Backlight uniformity is very good.
  • Really dislike the matte finish. I am so used to the glossy finish of the NEC, but I'll have to get used to the matte. It's so visible to me because of what I'm used to.
  • HUGE. But not too big (yet). I'll leave it at that.
  • Runs CS:Source @ 4xAF 0xAA pretty well. Played office at a very consistent 90-100 fps. I really want to crank the eye candy though, so an 8800 Ultra or 8900GTX or R600 is definitely in my future

I'll work on pics in a bit. So far I am very pleased though! :D

can u take a picture on top of the desk? sort of away from the screen because ive seen pics of westy 37's and man that is way too big and i'm wondering if i should go 27 or 30 inch. if both are too big then maybe 24"... i have a 19 inch right now and i do want to get something bigger, but nothing so big it causes eye strains.

I have my 3007-HC on order! Thanks CAMSter for the hookup with the awesome dell rep!

-Steve

Ok videomasterz, here's your picture comparing my HC next to my 5-year old 19" CRT. Now, if you're using one of those crappy 72% gamut displays, you still won't be able to see the true difference ;) I honestly didn't know what I was missing before this thing.

CRTvs3007.jpg

lee0539, if you want pictures, find go to the Got My 3007!! its huge ..PIcs thread. If you want my opinion (a guy that's been using a 19" CRT for 5 years), there's no way the 30" could be too big for anyone. One of my friends, a girl who's totally not into computers, loved using it earlier today since she could open two browsers side by side and not have to scroll to see entire webpages. Eye strain is not a concern.

Here is a rather high res pic of my 3007 next to my 20WMGX2. My camera is beat to hell and I need a new one. I'll get more pics up as the week goes on.

More things I've determined:

• The response time isn't quite as good as my NEC. There is a bit more ghosting in CS:Source, but it's definitely not enough to be a deal breaker. Just something else I'll have to adjust to.
  • There is zero input lag. This is definitely thanks to the S-IPS panel.
  • I need a new video card.

neat... i'll get it once nvidia and dell have vista support... waiting till april for new set of intels for a quad to pay for the difference and it should work out on my budget... hopefully there will be a decent deal on the monitor and new gen vid cards.

Ok videomasterz, here's your picture comparing my HC next to my 5-year old 19" CRT. Now, if you're using one of those crappy 72% gamut displays, you still won't be able to see the true difference ;) I honestly didn't know what I was missing before this thing.

lee0539, if you want pictures, find go to the Got My 3007!! its huge ..PIcs thread. If you want my opinion (a guy that's been using a 19" CRT for 5 years), there's no way the 30" could be too big for anyone. One of my friends, a girl who's totally not into computers, loved using it earlier today since she could open two browsers side by side and not have to scroll to see entire webpages. Eye strain is not a concern.

thanks for the pic zzz .... im sure the camera cant capture the 92% gamut color.... i need to see it in real life to compare it with my current monitor.. but ill take your word for it that its a big difference compared to the 72% gamut...... one thing im gonna miss if i get another 30" is the look and feel of this apple cinema....

Does anyone know if the HC is available in Canada?

If so, who do I call? What is the best price? Any other info?

I hope to be joining the HC club in the next 30 days!

Hi all,

Here's what I wrote:

Hi Mr. Unrein,
I read the reviews you and Mr. Altavilla did of the new 30" monitors
based on the LM3001WQ1 panel, and saw the pictures of movies that were played
to show the image quality.

I, and a number of people I know, have bought either the Dell or HP version of
this monitor, but we've not heard a definitive answer as to the best way to use the
monitors with video players, due to dual-link requirements of these 2560 x 1600
displays.

Do any of the Hothardware staff have suggestions as to the best methods/hardware
to use when watching movies or cable with the 30" monitors? Any rumors of new
video cards or standards on the horizon that will make this easier or take advantage
of the extra resolution of these LCD's?

If there's a FAQ or resource page that covers this I haven't seen it, if you know of
one and could pass on the URL I'll send it to the others I know. If you decide this
is a worth-while subject to write about, I look forward to seeing the article!

CAMster

Have you heard back from HotHardware about this? So far only thing floating around is for running this at 1280x800 (old laptop with dvd drive). I kinda was hoping to get a Mac Mini to run this beast, but no updates to that product so far that will let it drive the 3007WFP at 2560x1600 (hardware updates)...

Also no word on whether the Mini could even do 1080P video with upscaling at that resolution (my x2 4200+ with the 7800GT hiccups, so probably a core1duo with integrated intel graphics will not handle it...)

Anyone with experience running HD content with the Mac Mini, please let me know. (this is getting Off-topic, I apologize).

******************Begin Plug************************
Also, as I am grateful for my sales rep (for getting me this beauty of a monitor) I wanted to post her contact e-mail on here as a favor. Its essentially a plug, so feel free to jump over this part:

[email protected]

She works in Small Business Sales, so make sure you are a small business customer if you e-mail.

She was really helpful and got me a good deal, so I figured I owed her this favor, now the slate is clean :)
******************End Plug************************

Have you heard back from HotHardware about this? So far only thing floating around is for running this at 1280x800 (old laptop with dvd drive). I kinda was hoping to get a Mac Mini to run this beast, but no updates to that product so far that will let it drive the 3007WFP at 2560x1600 (hardware updates)...

Hi Demigod,
Yes, I got back a response very quickly, asking:

When you say "video players," do you mean hooking up an external DVD player or cable box? Or do you mean playing a movie through the DVD ROM drive on your PC or watching TV via a TV tuner card in the PC?

I wrote back saying "both", but have heard nothing since. I may email him back
in a few days to nudge him a bit.

******************Begin Plug************************
Also, as I am grateful for my sales rep (for getting me this beauty of a monitor) I wanted to post her contact e-mail on here as a favor. Its essentially a plug, so feel free to jump over this part:

[email protected]

She works in Small Business Sales, so make sure you are a small business customer if you e-mail.

She was really helpful and got me a good deal, so I figured I owed her this favor, now the slate is clean :)
******************End Plug************************

Heh - I've given out Jonathan's name to about a lot of people, but had thought
it best to not directly publish it (didn't want to "spam" his info around). Perhaps
it's not an issue, I don't know what's considered proper Forum etiquette in such
matters. I don't mind PM'ing people back when asked for my salesman's
contact info, but if it's considered O-K, I could post it too...

CAMster

I have to say, the most annoying thing about this monitor by far (to me, anyway) is the matte finish. It just seems so much more noticeable than any other monitor I've used. I have two Dells at work that I use on my workstation and I can see it, but not nearly as much. Hopefully I can get used to it.

Absolutely, now that I have had mine for about a week, the finish it seems is what is so distracting to me. When I look at it head on the corners are extremely bright and washed out but if I move my head to any of the corners and look at them head on, they are perfect and black. The finish is also seemingly highly reflective. In games (which I most care about), it doesn't seem to be much of an issue but boy is it distracting if you have a mostly black desktop wallpaper or image up.

When I look at it head on the corners are extremely bright and washed out but if I move my head to any of the corners and look at them head on, they are perfect and black.

Scary, that is actually the annoying characteristic of PVA panels (washout to the sides/corners/off angle). Is there any possibility that Dell has a lotto on these as well?

The other thing is that the bigger the monitor is the larger the view angle will be to the corners, so any washout will be more evident.

Hi Demigod,

Heh - I've given out Jonathan's name to about a lot of people, but had thought
it best to not directly publish it (didn't want to "spam" his info around). Perhaps
it's not an issue, I don't know what's considered proper Forum etiquette in such
matters. I don't mind PM'ing people back when asked for my salesman's
contact info, but if it's considered O-K, I could post it too...

CAMster

Yea, I ve also PM'ed a lot of people Margie's name, its scary how many Dell reps still don't know about the HC...

I was kinda wary of posting her e-mail also, for two reasons, the spam being one, and privacy being the other. So I e-mailed her asking if it was ok, she said "Yea!", apparently its a good thing to have your info out there for sales reps..

As far as HotHardware, your experience sounds about similar to mine, Dave Altavilla got back to me immediately with my 30" LCD question couple of months back, but when I sent a follow-up, I never heard back from him.

I have to say, the most annoying thing about this monitor by far (to me, anyway) is the matte finish. It just seems so much more noticeable than any other monitor I've used. I have two Dells at work that I use on my workstation and I can see it, but not nearly as much. Hopefully I can get used to it.

Anyone know if the HP 30" exhibits the same characteristic?

sales rep literally told me "you can throw a hammer at this monitor in 2 and a half years and get another one no problem."
QUOTE]

He told me the same thing, although i havent seen the proof in writing, so i hope in 2 years 11 months, when all of our monitors have tragic accidents, that this is true!!

only thing is they replace with refurb :(

Hi all,
I got the "O-K" to post Jonathan's information, so here it is. What's really
funny is that Jonathan's the trainer/coworker of Maggie, so there's going to be a
little ribbing/competition between them as to who sells the most HC's (which most
Dell salespeople are still in the dark about). Jonathan assures me he has secret
"Sales Fu" techniques that will give his customers the best price, we'll see... ;)

Jonathan Lucas, Dell Small Business sales (anyone can call/email), his direct
number is 615-795-8487, his toll-free number is 800-357-3355, then 795-8487 for
his extension. Email is [email protected]. He's based in Tennessee, so
Central Time applies.

As I've told the folks who've been emailing me, Jonathan's been great to work with,
and was very helpful when I was trying to decide whether to go with the cheaper
"regular" 3007, or the new HC. As I'd actually placed an order already for the older
unit, he even arranged free pickup/no restock when I decided to go with the newer
model (and I'm very glad I did!).

Add a great price to the mix, and it became an easy decision that I should let
others know of the chance to get the HC now. From the feedback I've gotten
from people who I PM'ed Jonathan's name to, they agree. :D

CAMster

Hi all,
I got the "O-K" to post Jonathan's information, so here it is. What's really
funny is that Jonathan's the trainer/coworker of Maggie, so there's going to be a
little ribbing/competition between them as to who sells the most HC's (which most
Dell salespeople are still in the dark about). Jonathan assures me he has secret
"Sales Fu" techniques that will give his customers the best price, we'll see... ;)

Jonathan Lucas, Dell Small Business sales (anyone can call/email), his direct
number is 615-795-8487, his toll-free number is 800-357-3355, then 795-8487 for
his extension. Email is [email protected]. He's based in Tennessee, so
Central Time applies.

As I've told the folks who've been emailing me, Jonathan's been great to work with,
and was very helpful when I was trying to decide whether to go with the cheaper
"regular" 3007, or the new HC. As I'd actually placed an order already for the older
unit, he even arranged free pickup/no restock when I decided to go with the newer
model (and I'm very glad I did!).

Add a great price to the mix, and it became an easy decision that I should let
others know of the chance to get the HC now. From the feedback I've gotten
from people who I PM'ed Jonathan's name to, they agree. :D

CAMster

Hehe, yea I found out about that "battle" too. So to level the playing field, here is the rest of Margie's info also, again posted with her approval:

Margie Scudder
Customer Account Manager- Software & Peripheral
Business Sales Division
Dell, Inc.
1-800-901-3355
Ext. 795-5720
Direct: (615) 795-5720

I have not dealt with Jonathan, but based on what I have read, it is not surprising to see that Margie and him are from the same office/group. What CAM says for Jonathan goes for Margie as well, very helpful, and really goes that extra mile. I don't know if she has Jonathan's special "Sales Fu" but I imagine whats good for the goose is good for the gander ;)

Hehe, yea I found out about that "battle" too. So to level the playing field, here is the rest of Margie's info also, again posted with her approval:

Hey, you've introduced weapons of mass distraction with your big blue fonts!
I call foul, and will be contacting the Hague to bring you up on "word crime"
charges. :D

I will refrain from responding in kind, and will simply sneak into one of your
threads and step all over it... (nah, I'm too nice a guy).

Well, it's the customers that'll win this war, so have at it!

CAMster

Is there a requisite definition of "small business customer" that I need to say when I talk to either Jonathan or Margie tomorrow.

I'm a freelancer/artist independent contractor type. The monitor will be part of a workstation build. So, I would think that won't be an issue.

BTW, thanks to all for posting contact info.

I don't know what's considered proper Forum etiquette in such matters.
If you're gonna post the email, at least write it like "name<att>dell.com" to hide it from web crawlers.

tigger1612, what do you mean by "the corners are extremely bright and washed out"? On an all-black screen, I notice the lower two corners have a slight white shimmer to them, but it's barely anything. Snowdog, I doubt there's anything but S-IPS for these, based on what I saw in the LCD panel charts a couple months ago. I don't know of any non-S-IPS panel that has a 92&#37; gamut.

If you're gonna post the email, at least write it like "name<att>dell.com" to hide it from web crawlers.

Good point, ZZZ - I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Is there a requisite definition of "small business customer" that I need to say when I talk to either Jonathan or Margie tomorrow.

I'm a freelancer/artist independent contractor type. The monitor will be part of a workstation build. So, I would think that won't be an issue.

BTW, thanks to all for posting contact info.

Jose,
It's very easy to use Dell SB, I didn't need to provide a Tax ID number or
other "authentication" info, simply the name and address of my business.
Virtually anyone can present themselves as a small business, even if you're
just consulting from home, or selling items on Ebay.

CAMster

P.S. Call Jonathan... ;)

My bottom 2 corners seem to do it the most. They are just a lighter shade but if I move my head and look at the corner dead on it looks fine. It just bothers me a bit when staring at the center of the screen. I guess for $1500 I expect perfection. Although I must say the black levels are better then the 20wmgx2 that I had previously for about 2 weeks heh. I also think that was a brighter screen then this one is. This one I turn down to brightness level 3 and it seems much darker without making the colors dark. Colors still pop out of the screen vibrantly it's just sometimes on a mostly black screen I see those corners only cause they have caught my eye and now I know their there. I'll just wait and see what others say when theirs comes in. Maybe this is just the way the screen is. :cool:

P.S. Call Jonathan... ;)

Thanks CAMster.

E-mailed Jonathan today and he quickly called me back. Worked out pretty much the same deal you guys got, but with the additional "isn't it great to live in nyc" tax.

He's a great guy to talk to. Very positive experience.

This thread saved me from buying the older 3007. I had actually placed an order for it, but cancelled it last night after going through this thread. For only an extra ~$125 I'm getting a better panel.

Thanks CAMster.

E-mailed Jonathan today and he quickly called me back. Worked out pretty much the same deal you guys got, but with the additional "isn't it great to live in nyc" tax.

He's a great guy to talk to. Very positive experience.

This thread saved me from buying the older 3007. I had actually placed an order for it, but cancelled it last night after going through this thread. For only an extra ~$125 I'm getting a better panel.

Sounds good! That's about my story, except I had the older 3007 on the way
before finally deciding to go with the HC. I actually met the UPS driver before
he got the monitor off the truck and asked him to send it back. Now I've just
got to wait for Dell to refund the charge on that card.

Perhaps I should just spend the extra ~$125 and get a second HC... :D

CAMster

I've been emailing with Margie and she's informally quoted me $1359 + $27 handling = $1386 USD. The problem is I'm in Canada so I have to have it shipped to Blaine, WA... drive down and pick it up and of course I have to pay WA state sales tax, CAD/USD exchange, and then canadian sales taxes when I cross the border. Sometimes living in Canada really sucks! (j/k)

I'm really wondering if it's worth waiting for it to debut here in Canada or spring for this deal.

Tough call.

Back