Mystery Intel processor on eBay

36 core, 36 "pads" of other pads. Looks like it is a prototype or something for a 36 core (or 36 die) processor with their own socket. Perhaps for a super computer?...

Looks like a probe card, but that logo is pretty old.

Last edited:
Probably some 8088 or 8086 special purpose design, like a minimal downtime quick-change capable model for military or heavy industrial. :p :D

It's for this.

845868_terminator_robot.jpg

It's not a processor, that much is certain. It is also more than 6 years old. Its some sort of testing device or part of one. A quick google search of that serial number shows the internet is ablaze over this thing. The same seller is also selling all sorts of other Intel confidential parts and engineering samples.

Its probably worthless to anyone not capable of reverse engineering CPU's.

Yep, definitely not a processor. Looks like it might be a part of a voltage/current draw tester, or possible even just for testing resistance.

It looks to be for testing 12 or 36 CPUs at once.

Hmm, most likely this is a part used to validate/test cpu's after final package fabrication. Or actually used to in the final package fabrication. Take the wafer chip and assemble in final organic/metal end-user package.

Older equipment for sure. Just wonder how they got away from Intel. I see there is a customer ID label on 1 item listed on Ebay.

I wish someone would tell us what these actually are. If they're 5+ years old as several people have suggested, surely the NDA equivalent is long over?

Incoming Intel Raid in 3,2,1.....
I kid you not, Intel may want these back. I've read the Inside Intel book and they will do whatever it takes to get their property back. This is something I doubt they want on the outside.

Nothing to see here. It is just a probe card that was used to test Intel CPU. I'll bet it contains none of Intel's intellectual property. You won't see a confidential Intel CPU on it (not even an old one), otherwise Intel will sue their ass off.

Cool..shame it is $1000 though. Even though it is fairly mundane it looks neat enough I would love one to add to the geek conversation pieces.

Damn, This is what I get for waking up late. Used to work in a fab. So I knew what it was. 5 years in a smock/bunny suit. I am curious as to how they got their hands on a some of those probe cards. Intel is very paranoid about anything related to their CPU and testing.

I think most people missed the plainly obvious silk screen that says "front of prober" which you can see in the second picture of the original link.

At least now we know what they are. Pretty interesting that someone was able to get they're hands on some.

There's a date code on the bottom of one of those photos. I can't make it out though and don't feel like fiddling to "enhance" it at work.

Pretty sure its a Pentium Pro powered nacho platter or a part of the antigravity drive core of the Roswell UFO. Or a nerd frisbee. Can't decide which.

Back