NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi-BK spotted

Thanks a lot for the data. Isn't it too bright for office work (when writing or reading on white background) at these settings?

Trainee/Videomasterz, don't have a CRT so I can't help you there. I'm old and I only have old games so the best I can say is I have played Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 and I can't tell any difference between the 3090 and my Dell ultrasharp 1905. Well, except that fact that playing them full screen on 30" is awesome. Still waiting for my Alienware computer to try out Crysis.

aahh ok thanks anyway though. just curious on the input lag for this new 30" :)

Thanks a lot for the data. Isn't it too bright for office work (when writing or reading on white background) at these settings?

Trying to get something I like, the 140 cd/m of the Photo Editing targets seemed a little dark so then I tried CRT Monitor Standard at 180 and it is a little bright. Never had a Multisync before so I'm just trying different things out. Any suggestions?

Do I understand by the few comments that there's not much to complain about this monitor?

Do I understand by the few comments that there's not much to complain about this monitor?

certainly no complaints for me, and i haven't seen any serious complaints anywhere else.

aside from cost. :p

If the sticker shock doesn't kill you, the monitor sure will. At least the heart attack you get when you oogle at how awesome it is :D

now that I know I'm definitely going to hang onto this beauty, does anyone have any experience/advice/recommendations on articulating arms for a monitor as big/heavy as this 30" NEC? I'd love to have an open desk, but don't want to risk this monitor on some flimsy low quality arm.

For those looking to get one, I ordered mine for $1712 shipped from B&H. This deal is only good through tomorrow I believe (it's a show special):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...lSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

You'll probably have to call them and tell them that you want to backorder it over the phone (give the NAB08GEOP0 stock number when ordering). I just backordered a few days ago and it still shipped today, so that was pretty quick...

For those looking to get one, I ordered mine for $1712 shipped from B&H.

It's certainly a good deal. I would get it, but there are three things that I don't like about the LG panel used in this monitor: it runs way too hot, it takes way too long to warm up and reach steady brightness, and it has an annoying sandy grainy sparkly look on solid colors.

For those looking to get one, I ordered mine for $1712 shipped from B&H. This deal is only good through tomorrow I believe (it's a show special):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...lSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

You'll probably have to call them and tell them that you want to backorder it over the phone (give the NAB08GEOP0 stock number when ordering). I just backordered a few days ago and it still shipped today, so that was pretty quick...

Too late; the price went up to $21xx already. Just as well; I still have some serious doubts about spending this much money on this panel.

Dave

I figured it was the best for photo work, which is what I'm mostly interested in. The Dell, with the same panel and more inputs, still cost more than I paid and doesn't have near the features for color management...

As far as the H-IPS sparkle, hopefully it doesn't annoy me too much. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the past on a 30" HP and it didn't bother me...

I figured it was the best for photo work, which is what I'm mostly interested in. The Dell, with the same panel and more inputs, still cost more than I paid and doesn't have near the features for color management...

As far as the H-IPS sparkle, hopefully it doesn't annoy me too much. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the past on a 30" HP and it didn't bother me...

Yes, it's a good choice for photo work.

The graininess doesn't bother me on photos, video, or games, but it annoys me on text work - browsing, e-mail, programming, word processing, etc.

Mine arrived, so here is a little review:

-This monitor is all business, from the looks to the features.

-The case doesn't look nearly as nice as Dell's 30 incher, but it isn't trying to either. From the front it looks decent. From any other angle it's big, bulky, and plasticy looking. It's also huge. About 10 inches from the front the screen to the back of the stand. But it's also a huge screen, so that happens.

-Stunning picture quality, but it does have some IPS sparkle if that bothers you. As noted, small black text on a white background isn't as crisp as other displays. Most 30" panels are S-IPS or H-IPS, so other than the Samsung (I believe), you're probably out of luck. The sparkle doesn't bother me at all, but the text issue is mildly annoying. My very old Dell 1900FP has considerably clearer text, which is kind of disappointing. The text reminds me of a CRT that needs the focus pot tweaked just a hair.

-Tons and tons of settings, but some aren't documented all that well. "Response Improve" is turned off by default, but why wouldn't you want it on? Maybe there is a reason, but I can't see any difference with it on or off. Likewise, the brightness lowers to 76.5% and then stops (and then turns magenta in color if you keep going), which indicates the lower limit of the backlight itself. Anything below that (as I understand it) is simply using the panel itself to make it dimmer, so you lose contrast. Now, what doesn't make sense, is that there are two predefined ECO (economy) modes - One at 75% brightness and one at 50% brightness. If you believe the backlight stops at 76.5%, then 50% shouldn't save a bit of money over 75. Lots of "business class" settings, such as grey scale settings for medical imaging, tile matrix settings (one image over multiple monitors), and a whole variety of screen saver settings for static displays.

-Internal standalone color calibration is very cool and works well. Just plug in the i1 sensor and you can adjust everything the Display2 software would let you adjust (white point, luminance, gamma). I haven't tried Spectraview yet, but I will. The monitor even has an "auto luminance" setting that compensates for a cold monitor using a backlight sensor. It also compensates for color somehow. You can set it to do one, the other, or both.

-Viewing angle is exceptional, which helps to provide very consistent and uniform colors. A grey screen is perfectly uniformly grey throughout the entire screen.

-Auto brightness can dynamically adjust brightness to whatever lower and upper limit you want based on the ambient light sensor.

-No backlight bleeding. I think someone else in this thread reported some, but mine looks good.

That's all I can think of for now. If anyone has any questions, let me know. Other than the text issue, which is a known issue with IPS panels, this thing really is perfect!

Hi guys..i need some advises

I never use LCD, I'm using a Lacie Electron blue 19" monitor now for photoshop works

I'm thinking to buy the NEC 3090:
1. Does the NEC allow you to adjust the RGB channel individually ?
2. How does this monitor compares to high end CRT for photoshop works?

I hope someone can answer my question

Thanks

N0xlf, thank you very much for the review. Have you tested any games on the monitor? If so, is there any preceivable input lag or ghosting?

Most 30" panels are S-IPS or H-IPS
My friend, you are playing with principally important definitions so easily!!
Which 30" monitor has H-IPS?
Does your monitor have A-TW H-IPS panel similar to 2490/2690?
How can you confirm this?
That's the only factor for me to decide if to buy this monitor or not.

the text issue is mildly annoying. My very old Dell 1900FP has considerably clearer text, which is kind of disappointing.
There is nothing related to the monitor manufacturer or the panel technology here.
This is what you should expect from 30" - text is not readable at native resolution due to small dot pitch. The smaller the text the more interference with matt coating is present - for any monitor.
IMO - I am not planning to do any text-related activity (other than Word/Excel) at native resolution, I would go to 1920x1200 for net surfing immediately.
Same for Samsung 30". Gateway 30" (I tested) has hardly readable small font under sparkly matt coating - as it should be.

Congratulations on your purchase.
Thank you.

There is nothing related to the monitor manufacturer or the panel technology here.
This is what you should expect from 30" - text is not readable at native resolution due to small dot pitch. The smaller the text the more interference with matt coating is present - for any monitor.
IMO - I am not planning to do any text-related activity (other than Word/Excel) at native resolution, I would go to 1920x1200 for net surfing immediately.
Hi albovin,

I'm not sure what to look for, but my laptop's 15,4" 1920x1200 screen is also a matt LCD and I don't see any interference...
Text is as sharp as they eye can see and I think this dot pitch is even lower then the native resolution on this 30" NEC...

The panel is H-IPS - Here is the same link I posted on page 6:
http://translate.google.com/transla...90wqxi-bk+h-ips&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us

I'll try some gaming soon and let people know my impressions.

The text issue isn't just that it's small. It's just not that clear when you are viewing black text on a white background (like posting this reply).

You can adjust the individual RGB channels, but if you are looking to do Photoshop work with it, you are far better off calibrating the internal 12 bit LUT through the monitor or Spectraview II.

As far as this vs. a CRT for Photoshop, I can't imagine why anyone would choose a CRT. Between the IPS panel and 12 bit LUT that you can calibrate, this is about as good as it gets for photo work.

BTW - No dead/stuck pixels that I can see, which is amazing for a display of this size...

I have a 3007-HC and I am pretty sure it is H-IPS as well. It has no violet color off angle on darks screens. None at all. But it has white glow which I believe is symptomatic of H-IPS variants.

So the important question. Is does it have the additional A-TW polarizer to rid it of this white glow? White glow on a panel this big is annoying. I see it in one corner on any darker background just using the screen normally.

White glow doesn't necessarily mean H-IPS. I have a 23" Apple that glows white, but it's S-IPS. H-IPS panels have a different pixel structure. S-IPS panels have subpixels like << or >> while H-IPS panels have subpixels like |||. S-IPS panels also have slightly more spacing between the pixels, so they appear sharper but have more of a screen door effect. H-IPS panels are more like TN panels in terms of sharpness and screen door effect.

Humm..Define "white glow" better. Are you referring more to backlight bleeding (patches of white around the edges/corners), or just a completely black screen not being black?

I have a 3007-HC and I am pretty sure it is H-IPS as well. It has no violet color off angle on darks screens. None at all. But it has white glow which I believe is symptomatic of H-IPS variants.

So the important question. Is does it have the additional A-TW polarizer to rid it of this white glow? White glow on a panel this big is annoying. I see it in one corner on any darker background just using the screen normally.

The 3007WFP-HC is definitely a S-IPS panel, and I have read no reports of a new H-IPS revision from Dell.

BTW, for any colorspace experts that can chime in here, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the internal monitor calibration is somewhat useless, unless you don't have Spectraview II. As I understand it, the monitor still needs to be profiled so that ICC aware applications can display the correct colors.

It's kind of like having two different workflows I suppose, depending on what software you own, or are willing to buy. If you already own an i1 Display2, then you could use the internal monitor calibration first to adjust the LUT, followed by profiling with the Display2 software to generate the ICC profile. If you have Spectraview II, then you are still doing both, but the software will do the internal calibration as well.

This is the best price I found on the i1 Display2 ($199 free shipping):
http://www.pictureline.com/products/625/x-rite_i1_Display_2/

White glow as in dark screen viewing off angle has fairly strong white glow, older S-IPS panels would have more subdued but violet glow. New NECs have very little glow at all, looks much like a CRT off angle. Toasty has nice comparison picture of NEC vs others. Put up a mostly black screen and walk to the side and watch as the angle changes. If it has the white glow it should be quite obvious. With a 2490/60 it would look much like a CRT.

Toasty: I will try a screen shot of pixels, but with .25mm pitch and my meager 4mp digicam, I don't know how much structure will be seen. There is no SDE unless you are REALLY close (less than 30cms). That is one thing I love. I don't see pixels at all. It looks smooth like a CRT (20"running 1600x1200 has same pitch).

I'll check out the glow later tonight and let ya know. I can say that I think gaming is going to be awesome on this display. I ran Oblivion at 1920x1200 and I couldn't believe how well the scaler worked! The image actually looked sharp, which is tough for a scaled image. It certainly surprised me, as I've never seen a scaled image look that good. I'll try COD4 at 2560x1600 and report more on ghosting and lag. They both seem excellent for first impressions though...

The only thing I might dislike about the monitor is it seems it takes a few minutes for the monitor to warm up, for the whites to be as white as they'll be after hours of use...etc. Certainly no big deal, but I usually let the monitor warm up for a minute or two before I start editing my work.

Be sure to turn on the auto luminance, which is only visible in the advanced menu. It activates a backlight sensor that seems to compensate rather well...

So is the concensus for this monitor pretty good?

I've been eyeing up this monitor for a few months now...

Owners, are you happy with your purchase?

Be sure to turn on the auto luminance, which is only visible in the advanced menu. It activates a backlight sensor that seems to compensate rather well...

Do you mean auto luminance or auto brightness?

This is ToastyX photo of comparison monitors with and without "glow".
I would never call this IPS glow as *VA panels have worse glow.
This definition is an internal invention of this forum. That's why it confuses you.
I would call this just LCD glow.
2490/2690 miraculously are free of LCD glow (actually have minimal violet/bluish tint of black in darkness - what older IPS and modern PVA have in full). This is usually attributed to co-called polarizer that some H-IPS monitors have. Violet tint of black is visible from a sharp diagonal angle from the right hand side only. "Non-polarized" IPS and *VA have equal violet/bluish tint of black from both sides.
Unfortunately you don't have 2490/2690 with A-TW H-IPS to compare.

Thank you, I remember that link about H-IPS. But it's strange that H-IPS is not mentioned on major websites. This is a big advantage and it must have been on the front pages.

Auto luminance. Auto brightness uses a sensor on the front to auto adjust brightness for ambient lighting. Auto luminance uses a sensor inside that auto adjusts the backlight to be consistent. You can't enable both, for obvious reasons...

Do you mean auto luminance or auto brightness?

This is ToastyX photo of comparison monitors with and without "glow".
I would never call this IPS glow as *VA panels have worse glow.

Yes that glow.

Actually with a black background and from the side, I find this looks potentially worse than *VA, but it is much better when just using the screen as the gamma/tone shift doesn't really happen, this glow ride on top of the image rather than the image itself distorting and is practically non existing in a normal seating position, you can move and the image is stable, so much better than my previous PVAs.

Though Mine (3007-HC not the NEC) has it really bad in one corner, It doesn't seem to be backlight related just hyper sensitive viewing angle related. If I view that corner perpendicular to it (it I move my head over that corner) it goes away, but in normal use it glows distractingly in that one corner.

Does the 3090 has better color, etc than 2690 as far as photography use?

I'm thinking to get the 3090 but I think the 2690 is enough for me.

Photoshop users who have tried both monitor please give some feedback

Thanks

So is the concensus for this monitor pretty good?

I've been eyeing up this monitor for a few months now...

Owners, are you happy with your purchase?

100% happy :D :D :D

so nice to be on a giant, color accurate, seemingly perfect display when working on my photography. Knowing that your editing/post processing is truly color accurate makes all edits feel more final/secure.

100% happy :D :D :D

so nice to be on a giant, color accurate, seemingly perfect display when working on my photography. Knowing that your editing/post processing is truly color accurate makes all edits feel more final/secure.

Nice, do you have any experience with games, HD movies, etc.?

Nice, do you have any experience with games, HD movies, etc.?

no, sorry....can't help you there. I am using this monitor purely for professional photographic needs, so it's not hooked up to anything but my computer, and i'm a console gamer without a bluray drive in the computer....so no games, and no high def movies. sorry, wish I could be of more assistance.

A little more updated info now that I have some more time on this monitor...Gaming is awesome at 2560 and looks as good as other non-TN LCDs for response time. It isn't any better, but it isn't worse either. I didn't notice any lag, but I didn't do any official testing for it either. As I mentioned before, the scaler is phenominal - I currently have it on an old computer that can only do 1680x1050 and it looks great. I even did some gaming at that res and it looked sharp.

If you are going to make the investment for the monitor, make sure to get Spectraview II and the i1 sensor. It really makes calibration easy and allows you to flip between calibrated profiles easily (rewrites the LUT too). I have two profiles set that are essentially the same, except for brightness (one at 140 for photo work, and the other at 230 for everything else). I did some testing and found that 230 is as low as the backlight can actually go. Anything lower and it's just electronically dimming the display through the panel itself, and anything higher and it starts cranking up the backlight, so 230 is the "sweet spot" for max brightness with max monitor longevity.

My impression remains that I can't say enough good things about this display...

A little more updated info now that I have some more time on this monitor...Gaming is awesome at 2560 and looks as good as other non-TN LCDs for response time. It isn't any better, but it isn't worse either. I didn't notice any lag, but I didn't do any official testing for it either. As I mentioned before, the scaler is phenominal - I currently have it on an old computer that can only do 1680x1050 and it looks great. I even did some gaming at that res and it looked sharp.

If you are going to make the investment for the monitor, make sure to get Spectraview II and the i1 sensor. It really makes calibration easy and allows you to flip between calibrated profiles easily (rewrites the LUT too). I have two profiles set that are essentially the same, except for brightness (one at 140 for photo work, and the other at 230 for everything else). I did some testing and found that 230 is as low as the backlight can actually go. Anything lower and it's just electronically dimming the display through the panel itself, and anything higher and it starts cranking up the backlight, so 230 is the "sweet spot" for max brightness with max monitor longevity.

My impression remains that I can't say enough good things about this display...

Thank you for this - I need all the influence I can get if I'm going to spring this much money, hah!

Back