NEC ND-2510A 69bux@NEWEGG

i finally broke down and picked up a burner... funny how a couple bucks is enough to get you to make a purchase.... also includes some cheapo dvd-r's for free as a starter.

really thinking of getting this, anyone have this already though that can give some opinions?

good, bad, any possibilites for tweaking, problems, etc?

FrostBite said:
really thinking of getting this, anyone have this already though that can give some opinions?

really good and the NEC drives have proved to be very tweakable in the past (firmware etc).

I have had a ND-2510A for a couple of months now... it is quiet, reliable, and burns everything flawlessly. I even threw it into a Plextor external usb 2.0 case that I had lying around. It looks was made for it since I got the one with a black bezel. I mainly use it with Riteks G04's 4x so I don't know what it's like with cheaper DVD-R's. The good thing about this one is that you don't have to hack the bios to get dual layer burning since it's supported natively (even though discs are impossible to find).

Seeing this makes me glad I live in So.California =)
Same drive $64 localy (plus tax).
Pioneer drive: dvr-108 (16x dvd-r burner.... mmm fast) $84!
We got the pioneer.
Its all about the la computer fair!
http://www.lacomputerfair.com/

Grabbed one. :D

I've had an NEC-1300 for a while now and its worked very very well, so I expect this one will as well, just faster!

FrostBite said:

Have an NEC 2500 here and its worked flawlessly for 6 months. Runs quiet, burns great, and no problems at all. Just bought the NEC 2510 from the Egg last week at $71, so we'll see how she runs. I'm sure it'll be as good or better than the 2500. Wait, its dual layer, so its already better! ;)

when in the lords name is DL media coming out? i cant stand the idea of buying something that has never been tested, and i dont want a single layer burner as DVD9 movies wont fit. Any idea's guys?

this is the OEM model right? No software?

Call me lazy or dumb but I usually just use whatever software they give me, so what are you guys going to use, or recommend.

notes....
1) I have little money for software
2) I will use this to back up movies, and to use the CD-r functions for music.
3) is this the dual layer model? or is it the one that can be flashed to DL

great drive, got one a couple weeks ago when they were 79.....quiet, fast, and most important for me, can read and burn in a vertical position.....

btw, i'd love to see the hd/raid setup that can do 16x dvd burns....

I have one go for it I love it and payed 120 for it's a great drive and I would be willing to pay 120 for it again I do alot of burning and I haven't burned a coaster yet

cybertron said:
when in the lords name is DL media coming out? i cant stand the idea of buying something that has never been tested, and i dont want a single layer burner as DVD9 movies wont fit. Any idea's guys?

Thats what this is for ---> DVD2one

Worth every penny if you ask me. Makes any size DVD fit on a DVD5 disc.

DL media is waaaaaay too expensive atm to even consider in my mind. (Last price I saw a while back was $16 a disc I think).

Edit #2 - Here's a link to some DL media, still over $12 a disc, not worth it to me DVD DL Media

www.allmediaoutlet.com sells dual layer media for 1.82 a disc, Ritek brand. I havent bought any of those myself, but I have been using their G04's with no issues with this drive (yes I own the 2510a).

Despite their bad reseller rattings, ive had no problems with them, same with my friends that order from there. Great prices...

example, they have the G05 (8x dvds) $56 for 100. The 4x's were a bit less at like 51 for 100. Free shipping BTW. They are in CA so theres tax for us CA people.

vxspiritxv said:

Yeah yeah yeah :p

Limahl said:
Thats what this is for ---> DVD2one

Worth every penny if you ask me. Makes any size DVD fit on a DVD5 disc.

DL media is waaaaaay too expensive atm to even consider in my mind. (Last price I saw a while back was $16 a disc I think).

Edit #2 - Here's a link to some DL media, still over $12 a disc, not worth it to me DVD DL Media

I wouldnt mind doing dvd2one i guess, i assume it has to encode the whole movie though, which i would imagine takes like 10hrs? DVD2svcd takes 13 i know, course its not compressing it as much so i guess that would make it take less time.

Media being expensive is due to the movie industry, i bet you a million dollars they are strong arming everyone they can. Just like DVD X Copy got shut down... i'm sure Clone DVD will be next... lame stuff if you ask me.

Kaizer said:
www.allmediaoutlet.com sells dual layer media for 1.82 a disc, Ritek brand. I havent bought any of those myself, but I have been using their G04's with no issues with this drive (yes I own the 2510a).

Despite their bad reseller rattings, ive had no problems with them, same with my friends that order from there. Great prices...

example, they have the G05 (8x dvds) $56 for 100. The 4x's were a bit less at like 51 for 100. Free shipping BTW. They are in CA so theres tax for us CA people.

damn, thats temping, even if for some reason the DL function isnt the best (i say that only because i would guess its not being used enough to really tell) the SL media makes it worth it.... gah, i want to but i dont... but i do lol :p

cybertron said:
I wouldnt mind doing dvd2one i guess, i assume it has to encode the whole movie though, which i would imagine takes like 10hrs? DVD2svcd takes 13 i know, course its not compressing it as much so i guess that would make it take less time.

It actually doesnt take long at all to redo a large DVD. Give it a whirl, its the only way to know if its the right tool for you.

Good luck!

iDunno said:
id rather spend 3 dollars more and get a 12x from lite-on

Accoding to all the dvd writer forums, cd freaks/cdr labs, the Lite On DVD burners totally suck.

Got my burner today and it works great I just do not have any dvd media to try it out with. Where can I get the drivers for this unit or do I need any?

anyone have any problems with this drive?

Mine cant read the ATI driver cd... and seems kinda slow?

all I got to say is Lite on is still sitting at 8x for -R format NEC, Pioneer, and a few others are now at 12x and 16x speeds and the dvr-108 can do DVD+R DL at 4x speeds.... lite-on is still stuck at 2.4x

oh and cybertron
01101000011000010010000001101000011000010010000001110110011001010111001001111001001000000110011001110101011011100110111001111001

Axdrenalin said:
Have an NEC 2500 here and its worked flawlessly for 6 months. Runs quiet, burns great, and no problems at all. Just bought the NEC 2510 from the Egg last week at $71, so we'll see how she runs. I'm sure it'll be as good or better than the 2500. Wait, its dual layer, so its already better! ;)

Seeing at they're the same drive with different firmware, you shouldn't have any problems ;) . If anyone sees a deal on a 2500a pick it up, a simple bios flash will give you DL capabilities and better media speed/compatibility. I've had mine running on hacked firmwares for months now, been doing great (though admitedly, I haven't had any DL media to test on, or a reason to buy any). On that same note I haven't researched it, but I'm betting that hacked firmware will help out the 2510 with speed/compatibility too.

Back