New 6200 @ 6600 + benchmarks (3DMark03/05, Doom3, CS:S)

what were you doing when you trashed it?

Yup, fry's is a good place to borrow (so is microcenter)

navicaph said:
Wow, these are some amazing OCs with mind blowing results. I'm not even sure I want to kick down 300 bucks for x800xl anymore... :confused:

I've got a X800 XL running in the same machine I got the 3300 on 3dmark05 with the 6200... I'm not that impressive. I got the X800 XL on sale for $221 pre-ordered, I'm selling it to a friend since I don't really think it's worth the extra money for what I do even though I obviously got a great deal on it as it is.

I have to admit that the X800 XL is probably still about 50% "better" in 3dmark05 (both overclocked) than my 6200, but day to day I don't notice the difference. If you're big on benchmarking, obviously the X800 XL is better for you.

pxc said:
enabling temperature monitoring.

Hmm... neither of us had any problems with enabling temperature monitoring. Why did you have to flash so many times?

Edit: NiBiTor now supports the 6200, just use that to edit the bios. Worked for me.

bah... finally shelled out the $$$ for the leadtek 6200 AGP. Figured it was worth $15 extra for the better name brand + faster ram.

I'll post my OC's and results.

:)

Ackbar said:
Hmm... neither of us had any problems with enabling temperature monitoring. Why did you have to flash so many times?

Edit: NiBiTor now supports the 6200, just use that to edit the bios. Worked for me.
I used debug (+ NVCHK) and NiBiTor, both came out identical in a binary compare. It might be the old version of nvflash that I have. Been too lazy to download a newer one. ;) Going to try again later today. I'm playing with a new cheapier ($75) Celeron D 2.4GHz @ 3.6GHz & motherboard combo now. :D That might get an AGP 6200 if I find another deal.

I heard somewhere that they might phase out the 6200 AGP for some reason. Or maybe they would crappify it then re-release them.

Plus. the AGP ones are hard to find under $100. Chaintech's is OOS in newegg...

GTPoompt said:
I heard somewhere that they might phase out the 6200 AGP for some reason. Or maybe they would crappify it then re-release them.

I'll bet they're in the process of replacing them entirely with the "turbocache" cards. You'll notice that there aren't a lot of plain 6200s being sold, but there's a lot of TCs.

By the way, I've heard that these 6200 firmware tricks do NOT work on a Turbocache. Does anyone know if they use a new core?

pxc said:
I used debug (+ NVCHK) and NiBiTor, both came out identical in a binary compare. It might be the old version of nvflash that I have. Been too lazy to download a newer one. ;) Going to try again later today. I'm playing with a new cheapier ($75) Celeron D 2.4GHz @ 3.6GHz & motherboard combo now. :D That might get an AGP 6200 if I find another deal.

Please let us know if it works for you this time. It would suck if everyone made all of the same mistakes.

Demogorg0 said:
By the way, I've heard that these 6200 firmware tricks do NOT work on a Turbocache. Does anyone know if they use a new core?
The 6200TC uses the NV44 core vs the NV43 core on the 6200/6600/6600GT.

The NV44 has a 2x2 pipeline organization (2 pipelines with 2 texture units each), so there's nothing to unlock. nvidia probably loves those since they can have almost 2x as many manufactured per wafer.

hmmm so that means since AGP turbocache cards can't exist (at least I think so) then nVidia will be forced to make a new low end AGP.

Or maybe they'll just only put 4 pipelines on a 6200 so then there is nothing to unlock

sheesh, 2x2 is horrible! Maybe nvidia will make a PCI-E ti-4200 with shader 3.0 and all the goodies and release that as a low end card :)

GTPoompt said:
hmmm so that means since AGP turbocache cards can't exist (at least I think so) then nVidia will be forced to make a new low end AGP
naw, i think they will just add a bridge chip and disable the TC features. I already saw a new NV44 entry in 76.10.

I'm wondering if it is possible to unlock the temp monitoring feature on a plain 6600 to?

is it possible to do it with software (driver, rivatuner), i'm a bit afraid of flashing the bios ;)

shadowlord said:
is it possible to do it with software (driver, rivatuner), i'm a bit afraid of flashing the bios ;)
Do you mean enabling temperature monitoring? The only way to do that is with a BIOS flash.

what drivers did you guys use for the 6200's? nvidia official? and what number?

card comes in the mail today! w00t. Only get back from school on friday :mad:

I'm bumping a bit of an oldie, I know, but I wanted to bring up the following:

Has anyone used a 6600 bios on a 6200 yet?

And doesn't the 6200 lack z-compression or something like that? I could have sworn that nv gave the 6200 the "5200" treatment and made it's AA unusable...

BTW someone reported on newegg that the Chaintech 6200's are 64 bit... bleh...

ragejg said:

And doesn't the 6200 lack z-compression or something like that? I could have sworn that nv gave the 6200 the "5200" treatment and made it's AA unusable...

BTW someone reported on newegg that the Chaintech 6200's are 64 bit... bleh...

Go to the thread on xtremesystems.org about the 6200. Most of what you've just mentioned was a topic of discussion on there.

The 6200 (non-TC) core is exactly the same as the 6600/6600GT core. AFAIK everything that's on the 6600 is on the 6200.

Only certain Chaintech 6200's are 64 bit, on newegg they tell you which is which just read before you buy.

ragejg said:

yes, someone has and it doesn't unlock the pipelines. I think if the 6600 BIOS is padded with 0s at the end to fill up the EEPROM that the pipelines would be unlocked. For example, the 6800GTOs bencome unlocked when the larger PCI-E 6800GT BIOS is flashed because it overwrites the masked VS/quad data. I'll let someone else try that. ;)

Nope, no difference between the 6200 and 6600 besides disabling 1/2 the pipelines. Both cards use the exact same NV43 core. The 5200 (NV34) had a different core from the 5600 (NV31) and 5700 (NV35).

---
There are different versions with the same name "SA6200" cards with 64-bit and 128-bit memory interfaces: http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=14&PISNo=324

If someone bought a Chaintech 6200 from newegg and got 64-bit memory when it was advertised as 128-bit, avoid newegg. :p It's possible the original batch was 128-bit and newegg received a new batch with 64-bit memory. I got an auto-notify almost 2 weeks ago when it went back in stock.

On newegg it says it's 128 but if you look at the pictures the box says 64 bit. (chaintech)

I got my 6200 from leadtek, PCB A01. Unlocked fine, right now have it clocked at 360//660. I might try to push 700 when i get back to school

I forgot do download the 3dmarks from the internet before coming home, so all I had was Aquamark 3 and 3dmark2001.

With my ti-4200, 3dmark2001 ~ 11500 with 6200 its ~ 13250

aquamark went from 21000 on the TI to 40000+ on the 6200.

Unreal tournament (2004) runs over 60 fps on 1024x768 with everything max, Haven't benchmarked but this is by eye. Tribes vengaence runs at about 45 fps with everything on max. official 71.84's Quality with V-sync on. the 76's were a bit faster but there were some problems so i reverted back to the 71's

This was with an AMD XP mobile running at 2.2ghz and 512 mb ram, I just upgraded to 1 gig ram so performance might be higher now (I had big pauses in UT2004 in some maps with the 512 meg ram, they seem to have gone away now). I'll post 3dmark03 and 05 if anyone asks.

EDIT: it seems that AA really bogs down performance though. I was playing KOTR and turned AA up to 4x and it was dipping under 25. But KOTR's engine is probably not optimized very well.

GTPoompt said:
On newegg it says it's 128 but if you look at the pictures the box says 64 bit. (chaintech)

I got my 6200 from leadtek, PCB A01. Unlocked fine, right now have it clocked at 360//660. I might try to push 700 when i get back to school

I forgot do download the 3dmarks from the internet before coming home, so all I had was Aquamark 3 and 3dmark2001.

With my ti-4200, 3dmark2001 ~ 11500 with 6200 its ~ 13250

aquamark went from 21000 on the TI to 40000+ on the 6200.

Unreal tournament (2004) runs over 60 fps on 1024x768 with everything max, Haven't benchmarked but this is by eye. Tribes vengaence runs at about 45 fps with everything on max. official 71.84's Quality with V-sync on. the 76's were a bit faster but there were some problems so i reverted back to the 71's

This was with an AMD XP mobile running at 2.2ghz and 512 mb ram, I just upgraded to 1 gig ram so performance might be higher now (I had big pauses in UT2004 in some maps with the 512 meg ram, they seem to have gone away now). I'll post 3dmark03 and 05 if anyone asks.

EDIT: it seems that AA really bogs down performance though. I was playing KOTR and turned AA up to 4x and it was dipping under 25. But KOTR's engine is probably not optimized very well.

what kind of problems did u get with the 76's?? I get dang sound glitch in cs:s... grrrr

the 76's give me strange shadows. I was playing Face 3 on UT2004 and the whole ground became dark near the pyramid everytime (and in other places too). But when i zoomed in on the snipe it didn't do that.

However, with shadows off there was no problem.

I wasn't able to test this with an aftermarket cooler, but I did do some benchmarks with 3Dmark 2005. For overclocking, I pressed "detect optimal frequencies", which gave me 353MHZ core speed and 657MHZ memory speed.

stock setup - 1492 3Dmarks
unlocked pipelines - 1913 3Dmarks
overclocked - 2246 3Dmarks

That's a 33% increase in performance and it didn't cost a penny extra. I haven't even tried pushing the limits with the overclocking. This is the ultimate bargain card.

This model accepted the firmware hack to enable temperature monitoring. It idles at 53C. After running these tests, the temperature was 60C. It started going down immediately after the test finished. I am very impressed with the stock cooling hardware.

I was not able to permanently patch the Rivatuner settings into the firmware. Maybe in the next version.

My cooling setup is a mid-tower case, no fan below the card, 80MM exhaust above the card and an Enermax PSU above the CPU with two fans. There is also a 120MM intake in front. The case fans are on an automatic fan speed controller.

Video card: Leadtek A6200TD, 128MB version
Drivers: 71.90
CPU: Athlon XP 3200+
RAM: 1GB, 400MHZ "agressive timings"

what was the temperature hack? do you need to flash bios orjust check something off in rivatuner?

Demogorg0 said:
For overclocking, I pressed "detect optimal frequencies", which gave me 353MHZ core speed and 657MHZ memory speed.
I got a low auto-detect speed when i did the same thing. The core probably has a lot more headroom than you think. This is what I tried:

auto-detect: 380MHz/670MHz
first o/c: 400/675 fine in everything
next o/c: 450/700 fine in everything
next o/c: 525/700 fine in everything
next o/c 550/700 fine in everything

560/700 gives artifacts in HL2 after a while, but no problems in 3DMark05, Doom3 or FarCry
580/700 gives artifacts in rthdribl and everything else after a while

I've been running the card at 550/700 for almost 3 weeks now with no problems. I'm going to move this 6200 over to another Dell 8400 P4 3.4GHz/1GB system I bought @ the Dell outlet for $335 shipped. :D Mega cheap gaming system.

$335?? I've never seen the 8400's go under 600 in the outlet. or was there some big coupon?

EDIT; i've got mine running at 375//680. 2568 in 05, 5738 in 03

GTPoompt said:
$335?? I've never seen the 8400's go under 600 in the outlet. or was there some big coupon?
There were cheaper systems than that (see the link below for a 8400/P4 3.2GHz/512MB/MCE2005/160GB/etc for $280). The one I mentioned was $314 + tax. :D No coupon other than the instant discount and free shipping.

I logged a bunch of deals in the last week (a few hours of monitoring the outlet): http://www.notveryserio.us/pix/outletlog.htm

There are several very good deals per hour and a few **hot** deals per hour. It's pretty consistent, every day. Sometimes are better when dell has large instant discount and no minimum for free shipping. :D It's not hard to get a very good deal in the outlet.

GTPoompt said:
what was the temperature hack? do you need to flash bios orjust check something off in rivatuner?

Step 1: Dump the firmware from a DOS bootdisk with NVflash
Step 2: Open the dumped file in NiBiTor and enable temperature monitoring. Don't change anything else. Save it as a new file.
Step 3: Go back to DOS and flash the hacked file in NVflash.

If you screw up, you can pop in a PCI video card and flash the original file.

Hello, I have bought a leadtek 6200 AGP and I'm a little confused with this thread because I read a lot of people going to very high clocks with the 6200, like 450+ core, 650+ memory, but no one talks about heatsinks and/or coolers, so I don't know, are you doing those overclocks with stock coolers? I ask that because my leadtek came with that WinFox software that have a temperature monitor function, it idles at 56oC here, but when I use ATITOOL 3d VIEW to put some stress in the VGA it quickly raises to 83oC!!! So, I'm very afraid of doing any overclock in these conditions!

winfox? Is that the software that came on the CD? I have the leadtek as well, OC'ed at 380/680, and I leave it on all night, no problems yet... doesn't seem hot to the touch either.

fscussel said:
but no one talks about heatsinks and/or coolers, so I don't know, are you doing those overclocks with stock coolers?
I mentioned that i didn't do anything to the card... stock cooling and no ramsinks. :D 80C is not a problem. The GPUs on these cards can handle up to 130C before they throttle.

GTPoompt said:
I bought another hot system today in the outlet... 8400, P4 630 (EM64T), 512MB, WinXP MCE 2005, 16x DL dvd burner, 16x DVD-ROM, 80GB SATA, ATI E-Home Wonder TV tuner + MCE remote, etc for $240. :D I got a RA# for a Dimension 4700 I bought last week since I don't need it anymore. This one is much nicer. http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher?target=SpecPage&serviceTag=ZRB8EEM7

Like I said, head over to the outlet (early morning is best, :30-:50 past the hour) and grab yourself a deal.

GTPoompt said:
winfox? Is that the software that came on the CD? I have the leadtek as well, OC'ed at 380/680, and I leave it on all night, no problems yet... doesn't seem hot to the touch either.

Yes, winfox came on the cd. If you installed it you can read core temperature, I would like to know what temperature you read when using ATITOOL 3DVIEW, cause it stress the GPU... you can download it, search google. I want to know if it's normal to the leadtek to go 80-90oC hot...

pxc said:
I mentioned that i didn't do anything to the card... stock cooling and no ramsinks. :D 80C is not a problem. The GPUs on these cards can handle up to 130C before they throttle.

pxc, do you have a leadtek 6200 AGP 128/128?? where is this auto-detect frequencies function?? are you reading the core temperature? try using ATITOOL to stress the CPU and then tell me if possible how hot the core goes, I want to know if my card is normal, I wasn't used to a VGA heating up 20-25oC from idle to stress conditions! my last 9800pro@xt was variating only 8-10oC, from 60 to 70oC... 25oC delta in my leadtek is a lot!

i'll get my temps up on saturday, gotta go home this weekend anyway, so i can get the CD while i'm there... unless you can point me to the webpage that has it

edit: dell 4700 seems good too... got the PCI-E.

GTPoompt said:
i'll get my temps up on saturday, gotta go home this weekend anyway, so i can get the CD while i'm there... unless you can point me to the webpage that has it

edit: dell 4700 seems good too... got the PCI-E.

I believe you can also download WinFox at www.leadtek.com

ATITOOL you can find with google!

hmmm downloaded winfox. Won't let me oc through it or display hardware monitoring.... weird.

this is AGP btw

GTPoompt said:
hmmm downloaded winfox. Won't let me oc through it or display hardware monitoring.... weird.

this is AGP btw

your card is leadtek right? if it is, you have to right click it's icon in the left of windows clock (lower right of the screen) and select Advanced Tools, there you will have the Temperature Monitor button.

here agp too.

Back