New Gaming Build

Nimrod

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC?
Gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1500, doesn't have to be.

3) Where do you live?
Ohio

4 What exact parts do you need for that budget?
Everything including monitor and operating system.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
None except maybe Windows Professional or should I buy Vista?

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes

7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
20' or 24' not really sure what monitor to get, was thinking a dell? but don't know if there good for gaming or not?

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
This week or next

As far as games I play. Americas Army, Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike Source nothing to demanding, but I want to be able to play new games.

This is what I'm thinking about getting as of right now
Q6600
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
EVGA GTX 260
Western WD6400AAKS
Antec 900
DVD Drive

Not sure on power supply I was thinking pcpower&cooling or maybe a antec modular one? Not sure on memory or monitor either? so advice would be appreciated.

The Antec Neopower 650 is $90 w/free shipping. Pretty good with 52A on the + 12V and it's moduler. As far as RAM, 4gig(2x2)G. Skills DDR2 800 for $50 is a damn bargain. As far as monitor, go 24" dude. Also, I would go cheaper on the mobo, I'd consider either the Asus P5Q Pro for $135 or the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R for $127 instead. Save $50+ here. Video card, go with either a Radeon HD4870 1gig or Geforce GTX260(216 stream processor) version.

Oops, forgot the cooler. Look at the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm to O/C that Q6600. Oh yah, and forget XP on this new build. Why put an old O/S on a new build?. Go Vista Home Premium 64bit. Take advantage of the new hardware.

The Antec Neopower 650 is $90 w/free shipping. Pretty good with 52A on the + 12V. As far as RAM, 4gig(2x2)G. Skills DDR2 800 for $50 is a damn bargain. As far as monitor, go 24" dude. Also, I would go cheaper on the mobo, I'd consider either the Asus P5Q Pro for $135 or the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R for $127 instead. Save $50+ here. Video card, go with a Radeon HD4870 1gig or Geforce GTX260(216 stream processor) version.

Is there much of a difference between the P5Q Pro and the Deluxe, I want to stay with ASUS I think. I'll probably go with the G Skill ram you have a link to the one your talking about? Also what monitor you suggest? Oh and I don't really like how big the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm is, is there anything smaller that cools just as good? or is that the best? if so I could live with it.

If you have XP pro use it and wait for Windows 7. Supposed to be way faster than Vista. XP is rocket fast on new systems. Better support too.

The Deluxe version mobo mainly offers more features than the other models. Therefore, you pay the extra price for it. One of the features that the Deluxe has over the Pro is E-Sata on the mobo. Another is the Deluxe board has 16 phase power over 8 phase on the P5Q pro. What this does is basically speads the load on your mobo where there is less heat and helps prolong the life of the mobo components. An 8 phase should be standard on a high end mobo. I personally put together a build on the Asus P5Q pro mobo for a friend who has a Q6600, 4 gig G. Skills RAM in a Antec 900 case and it was smooth with no issues. The Xigmatec 120mm is big. If you like a smaller version go with the Xigmatec 92mm rifle with the rentention bracket for easier installation.

As far as monitors, the LG W2452TTF is pretty decent. 2MS response time and 3 year warranty on LG lcds. NewEgg has this for $370 w/free shipping. Also Circuit City has it online for $370 also. Best Buy online also has it on sale at $370 right now. If you buy it locally, you don't have to worry about shipping it back to NewEgg if yours is faulty or defective. Other great monitors to look at:

ASUS MK241H

BenQ G2400WD
BenQ V2400W

Samsung 245BW
Samsung 2493HM

I like the BenQ V2400W so that would be better than a dell 24 inch?

Yes. But I wouldn't recommend getting a 24" with that small of a budget. Go with 20" if you prefer eye candy. 24" is hard to feed enough juice via video cards. If you don't mind a bit of pixels and muddiness, fine, go with 24". Otherwise, HardwareGuru's suggestions are solid.

Yes. But I wouldn't recommend getting a 24" with that small of a budget. Go with 20" if you prefer eye candy. 24" is hard to feed enough juice via video cards. If you don't mind a bit of pixels and muddiness, fine, go with 24". Otherwise, HardwareGuru's suggestions are solid.

What 20 inch would you recommend?

I just like BenQ too much so I would grab their one and only 20".

However, BenQ doesn't have too much options besides their 24". I would check out the local computer store or Best Buy or Circuit City. See what you like. If you find something you really like, get it. Otherwise, I would say grab the BenQ.

Are you referring to a Dell 24" 2408WFP Ultrasharp or the E248WFP 24"? I'm assuming the E248WFP. If it is, I'd pick the BenQ over it. Offers alot more features. The Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp model would be more expensive because it doesn't use a TN panel. But, due to its input lag it wouldn't be ideal for gaming especially high fps gaming.

I like the BenQ V2400W so that would be better than a dell 24 inch?

Are you referring to a Dell 24" 2408WFP Ultrasharp or the E248WFP 24"? I'm assuming the E248WFP. If it is, I'd pick the BenQ over it. Offers alot more features. The Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp model would be more expensive because it doesn't use a TN panel. But, due to its input lag it wouldn't be ideal for gaming especially high fps gaming.

Alright so I should get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014177 and if I decide to get something smaller you think this would be good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005117

Smaller as in getting a 19" LCD over a 20" or 24" lcd? Or, get this as a secondary lcd? If this will be your primary monitor, it's too small and the res is low to really take advantage of that GTX 260 video card.

BTW, if you're gonna pay that much for a mere 19" lcd, you might as well get the LG L227WTG-PF that's on sale at Best Buy for $260. Very good LCD for pc gaming. Note though it has a glossy screen if this is an issue to you.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...oduct&id=1201913867539#tabbed-customerreviews

and if I decide to get something smaller you think this would be good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005117

Smaller as in getting a 19" LCD over a 20" or 24" lcd? Or, get this as a secondary lcd? If this will be your primary monitor, it's too small and the res is low to really take advantage of that GTX 260 video card.

BTW, if you're gonna pay that much for a mere 19" lcd, you might as well get the LG L227WTG-PF that's on sale at Best Buy for $260. Very good LCD for pc gaming. Note though it has a glossy screen if this is an issue to you.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...oduct&id=1201913867539#tabbed-customerreviews

It would be my primary monitor, but I think I'm just going to get the BenQ thanks GonzoP for the code. I might go to bestbuy this week and see if they have that monitor though. One last question for now. You think the Antec 1200 is worth the price difference between the 900?

To me, no. The Antec 900 case is a pretty decent sized case that's roomy with good ventilation. I don't see a need to go with that Antec 1200 case. I think it will be too big. It actually is big as it's a full tower case.

It would be my primary monitor, but I think I'm just going to get the BenQ thanks GonzoP for the code. I might go to bestbuy this week and see if they have that monitor though. One last question for now. You think the Antec 1200 is worth the price difference between the 900?

Gotta agree with the guru on this one again. The 1200 is way big for the components you have in your system. The 900 is plenty big for almost everyone. Shoot many of us can make the 300 work.

Alright a couple more questions.

Which BenQ would be the best? I really like the way the V2400W looks but would the FP241VW be better? I don't like the stand it has but I could deal with it if the performance would be better. Also what about the E2400HD and G2400WD?

Another question whats your take on refurbish monitors from BenQ also?

FP241VW is teh sex. I dunno about refurbs from BenQ though... But they're such a solid company. I can't imagine they skimp TOO much on refurbs.

Agree with Alai on the FP241VW. Why? It's a true 8 bit panel that can display the full 16.7 million color as oppose to the V2400W and E2400HD which both are 6 bit TN panels. FP241VW has a greater horizontal and vertical viewing angle as oppose to the 6 bit panels. I would spend the extra to get the FP241VW because I like good monitors because it's not something you upgrade as often as a PC.

Alright I'll go with that monitor so how does this list look

ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
Antec Nine Hundred
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS
EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB
Antec NeoPower 650
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket
XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE 120mm Rifle

I'm not sure if I have the right Retention Bracket or cooler?

Difference between the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 and XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE? Just the EE comes with a fan or what?

Could someone give me a link to the one I need and the bracket? and a fan if I need one.

I'm not sure if I have the right Retention Bracket or cooler?

Difference between the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 and XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE? Just the EE comes with a fan or what?

You want this bracket:
XIGMATEK ACK-I7753 Retention Bracket - $7

The HDT-S2184EE has 4 heatpipes whereas the HDT-S1283 has 3 heatpipes. Both come with fans. Theoretically the HDT-S2184EE should cool better due to the increased number of heatpipes.

IMO, the Deluxe is a very overpriced for what it offers. I recommend taking a look at these other motherboards:
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L Intel P43 Motherboard - $85
MSI P45 Neo3-FR Intel P45 Motherboard - $110
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Intel P45 Motherboard - $120
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Intel P45 Motherboard - $127
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Motherboard - $135
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Intel P45 Motherboard - $137
Biostar TPower I45 Intel P45 Motherboard - $150
DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R Intel X38 Motherboard - $185
Asus P5E Deluxe Intel X48 Motherboard - $220
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2R Intel X48 Motherboard - $220
Gigabyte GA-EX48-DS4 Intel X48 Motherboard - $225

Just to help you out: All of these motherboards have PCI-E 2.0 which may be useful for future GPU upgrades. If you don't need RAID, more than 6 SATA ports and only need semi-decent overclocking, check out the DS3L. If you need 8 SATA ports, RAID, 4 PCI slots, and legacy ports, then get the Neo3-Fr. If you don't need more than 6 SATA ports but want RAID, firewire, a second PCI-E x16 port, a second gigabit port, support for 16GB of RAM, optional eSATA, x8/x8 Crossfire, and great overclocks, then get the DS3R. If you like the DS3R but want better overclocking capability and 8 SATA ports, then get the UD3P or the UD3R if you don't need that second PCI-E x16 slot. If you like the DS3R but need 8 SATA ports, want an onboard pre-installed fast booting Linux setup, just support for 8GB of RAM, and don't need a second gigabit port, get the Asus P5Q Pro. If you want a motherboard with excellent overclocking capabilities above all else (feature wise), go with the I45. If you want Crossfire with full x16/x16 bandwidth, get the Lanparty DK X38. If you have cash to burn, need x16/x16 Crossfire, and don't give a damn about getting the most value for your money, get the Asus, DFI, or Gigabyte X48 motherboards. Do note that the Asus website can be slow sometimes.

Also case wise, you might want to check out this case:
Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $50

With the above case and Antec Neopower 650, you'll save about $15 over the Antec 900/Antec Neopower 650 combo.

I agree on the Deluxe mobo being overpriced especially when the socket 775 will be obsolete soon. I would go Asus P5Q Pro. I would also step up the GPU to the GTX280. On the case and PSU, I would get the Antec 300 case + Antec Neopower 650W for $95. In the end I would get:

CPU - Core2 Quad Q6600 for $190
Mobo/RAM - Asus P5QPro + OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) for $154 (Combo Deal)
Video - BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024E GeForce GTX 280 1GB for $405($30 MIR)
HDD - WD 6400AAKS for $75
Optical Drive - ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner for $25
Case/PSU - Antec 300 case + Antec Neopower 650 for $95 (Combo Deal)
XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE 120mm Rifle for $32
XIGMATEK ACK-I7753 Retention Bracket for $7

Total $983

Definitely get the BenQ FP241VW monitor. Buy it from BenQ Store.
http://store.benq.us/benq-us/basket.aspx?culture=en-US

If you have XP pro use it and wait for Windows 7. Supposed to be way faster than Vista. XP is rocket fast on new systems. Better support too.

spoken like someone whos never used vista.

Agree with Alai on the FP241VW. Why? It's a true 8 bit panel that can display the full 16.7 million color as oppose to the V2400W and E2400HD which both are 6 bit TN panels. FP241VW has a greater horizontal and vertical viewing angle as oppose to the 6 bit panels. I would spend the extra to get the FP241VW because I like good monitors because it's not something you upgrade as often as a PC.

yeah. I can vouch for that, i have a 22" TN and the viewing angles are horrendous. The backlight bleed is a little on the high side too.

Aside from the motherboard, $400 for a GTX280 is a pretty nice deal, and I personally prefer the HD4870 to the GTX260 (but I also much prefer EVGA/BFG/XFX to any ATI board partner), but its up to you. There is no good arguement to persuade you away from one or the other.

I agree on the Deluxe mobo being overpriced especially when the socket 775 will be obsolete soon. I would go Asus P5Q Pro. I would also step up the GPU to the GTX280. On the case and PSU, I would get the Antec 300 case + Antec Neopower 650W for $95. In the end I would get:

CPU - Core2 Quad Q6600 for $190
Mobo/RAM - Asus P5QPro + OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) for $154 (Combo Deal)
Video - BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024E GeForce GTX 280 1GB for $405($30 MIR)
HDD - WD 6400AAKS for $75
Optical Drive - ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner for $25
Case/PSU - Antec 300 case + Antec Neopower 650 for $95 (Combo Deal)
XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE 120mm Rifle for $32
XIGMATEK ACK-I7753 Retention Bracket for $7

Total $983

Definitely get the BenQ FP241VW monitor. Buy it from BenQ Store.
http://store.benq.us/benq-us/basket.aspx?culture=en-US

That list is pretty solid, I might think about it all day tomorrow at work and order after. I heard that EVGA is a better video card brand though? and there not as picky as BFG with warranty's and changing coolers? I take it the OCZ is the same as the G Skill?

EVGA is good on their warranty and customer service. BFG and XFX are also the other good manufacturers I would go with also. If you want, you can get the EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB for $420. $15 more than the BFG card. The OCZ is not similar to the G. Skills. The OCZ speed is rated at DDR2 1000Mhz as oppose to the G. Skills at DDR2 800Mhz.

BTW, if you want to save more money, the EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition for $300 should perform well. It will do better than the EVGA GTX260 card you specified earlier. You can save $100+ than getting a GTX280 card. But, the GTX 280 card would allow you to turn up more eye candy though.

Just received the BenQ monitor in the mail. I'll take some pictures after work maybe, even though everyone already knows what it looks like. I defiantly like it a lot more better in person than in any picture

Spoken like someone who has never used Vista 64 before.

Indeed. I used to rip on V64 myself before actually using it. Admittedly, there was the odd driver issue or two here and there. But overall, its the only way to fly these days IMO

Indeed. I used to rip on V64 myself before actually using it. Admittedly, there was the odd driver issue or two here and there. But overall, its the only way to fly these days IMO

It just dawned on me that I replied to that quote from gigaxtreme1 once already. :p

Back