New king of air cooling?

I dont like that rubber feet fan mounting system. Gimmie something more reusable please, I have yet to get a set of them back from whatever fan I put them on. One installation is not acceptable to me.

but visually I like the cooler.

I'll go with the 2nd place heatsink in their tests, the Thermalright Ultra-120 / True Black. Readily available, I can buy locally and has clips for the fan instead of the rubber posts that look like sagging condoms. Somehow I don't trust those to hold my fan on. I can always add some rubber strips or washers to dampen vibration.

Hmmm, and only 151mm high, I just might fit this in a 4u enclosure. I also like the look of the little conventional sink atop the base, an area I have long thought was wasted space in most coolers.

This is possibly the first CPU cooler that interests me since I bought my TT Big Typhoon a few years ago.

The dimples should help the cooling, as well as the staggering of the heatpipes in the heatsink fins.

It does only have 5 heatpipes though. I bet they could have fit 6 in there if they made them all touch.

As of now, I will be testing my modded TT Big typhoon with my i7-920 once the board is delivered here tomorrow. Modding the brackets to work with LGA-1366 was extremely easy and only took like 15 minutes to make the additions once I figured out what needed to be done. Yay for a cooler that I have had since my single core socket-939 days.

Looks interesting. But I have to say, I don't totally trust Frostytech's results due to their testing methods*. They use a simulated heat load, and not real processors. I'll have to wait until we get a bigger selection of reviews before I can make a final judgment.

*-- http://www.frostytech.com/testmethod_mk2.cfm

i dont agree with them either.. since its basicly just a copper hot plate in the vague shape of a P4.. theres nothing to compensate for the flatness or lack of flatness on the cpu its self which we know exists on the Core 2's and i7/i5.. just that alone could make the difference between 2-3C which is all you need to claim the top spot..

Back