New Lian Li case TYR PC-X500

Damn, I was really hoping they'd cost less than that. $500 is just too much for a case.

I've been trying to decide between the Armorsuit P80 and the X-2000 for quite some time now.

I think one of the factors in the high price of the TYR series is the HDD backplane that's RAID and hotswap ready. Pretty nice feature, but I can't see myself paying for it because I prefer to have a dedicated NAS box or external drive. It would be pointless to buy something like the X-2000 and try to remove the whole plate to fit more cooling gear instead. Excellent looking case, and I wish that the P80 was powder coated on the inside like that, but design wise it doesn't seem to be the best option for a high performance chassis. So unless you plan to mount a bunch of hard drives in an array, it may not be worth it.

Nice, had this been out last year, I might have gone for it instead of a Silverstone TJ-09. I like the looks of this one at lot and the placement of things.

400$!?!?!?! for the x500.. shit, that sucks. looks like ill be keeping my a05b for while ~_~

i was really looking forward to this case, but at this price its just not worth it to me, i was thinking more like 170-200$

The only thing bugging me at the moment is the door... choke your fans FTL

Lian Li puts doors on their PCs for pretty much the same reason everyone else does: to block direct sound waves coming out of the PC. Also, my guess is that with their focus on positive pressure (they're almost always running a ratio of 3/2 intake fans to 1 exhaust), 140mm fans running at lower RPM, etc, that they're not too worried about the loss of intake potential a door may cause.

~S

For those of you that find the side-opening opticals would be a good thing, that's great, but I can't see any good in it. First of all, the case is /tall/ and the opticals are at the top, so if it's on the desk the user would probably have to stand just to exchange discs, unless they're built like Stretch Armstrong or Mr. Fantastic. Second, with it being so tall it is much more likely to be on the floor; the side-opening opticals dictate which side of the desk the case can realistically be on, so it won't work in all setups, and I don't think the side the drives open on can be changed.

The case is a mid-tower class chassis so no it's not THAT tall. And there are a lot of advantages to having your case on top of a desk instead of down in the floor, regardless of whether it's a mid-tower or a full tower. Down in the floor you get more dust, less airflow, it's harder to access when you're swapping devices because you have to get down in the floor to do it or pick the case up onto the desk, and it's harder to monitor what's going on inside the case. In my instance I have a large flat heavy desk and my tower sits sideways across the back left side of the desk. Having side-opening opticals in my case is perfect because they will open towards me instead of having them opening out in the front and me having to reach to the side of the case in the back.

It looks cool, but the side drive openings are a bad design choice IMO. There should also be more drive bays considering the size of the thing. It's a pretty impractical case.

It's a mid-tower case. You guys are just being awed by some the stretched out pics on Lian-Li's site which makes it look a lot taller than it really is. 2 opticals are more than enough for most people. The majority of people have more optical drive bays than they need. No you won't have the room for all those other 5.25" bay devices that take up like two slots if you're into those but for the rest of us that simply have a couple DVD/Blu-Ray drives and that's it then it's all the room we need. Because of the way it's designed with more room in the bottom compartment you will have better airflow and more room to work with watercooling.

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/X500/x500d04s.jpg[/IMG]

The case is not that big. It's just a little taller than your average mid-tower because it's shorter due to everything in the front being taken away and put up top.

Here are some comparison measurements to my Silverstone TJ-09 to give you an idea.

Width = 1" thicker (TYR PC-X500 ) than TJ09
Depth = 23 1/4" (TJ09) vs <15" (TYR PC-X500)
Height = 20.5" vs 23" - TYR PC-X500 is only 2.5" taller than TJ09

So as you can see this case would be perfect for someone that wants to sit it on top of their desk not only because of the side opening opticals but also because of it's much shorter depth it will take up less desk space. And that doesn't even touch the fact that the aircooling should be great in this case due to having two 120mm intake fans positioned right in front of the motherboard with absolutely no obstruction whatsoever.

Note from FLECOM: Do NOT hotlink images, host them yourself

400$!?!?!?! for the x500.. shit, that sucks. looks like ill be keeping my a05b for while ~_~

i was really looking forward to this case, but at this price its just not worth it to me, i was thinking more like 170-200$

All of the V series cases sell for over $200. The newer PC-V1000Z which is just an update to the older PC-V1000 Plus II chassis is nearly $300 shipped at Newegg. I agree though, $250-$300 should be the max they charge for a case like this. I don't know if I'll cough up $390 + shipping if they're really that much but I'd really like to have this case!

The case is a mid-tower class chassis so no it's not THAT tall. And there are a lot of advantages to having your case on top of a desk instead of down in the floor, regardless of whether it's a mid-tower or a full tower. Down in the floor you get more dust, less airflow, it's harder to access when you're swapping devices because you have to get down in the floor to do it or pick the case up onto the desk, and it's harder to monitor what's going on inside the case. In my instance I have a large flat heavy desk and my tower sits sideways across the back left side of the desk. Having side-opening opticals in my case is perfect because they will open towards me instead of having them opening out in the front and me having to reach to the side of the case in the back.

It's a mid-tower case. You guys are just being awed by some the stretched out pics on Lian-Li's site which makes it look a lot taller than it really is. 2 opticals are more than enough for most people. The majority of people have more optical drive bays than they need. No you won't have the room for all those other 5.25" bay devices that take up like two slots if you're into those but for the rest of us that simply have a couple DVD/Blu-Ray drives and that's it then it's all the room we need. Because of the way it's designed with more room in the bottom compartment you will have better airflow and more room to work with watercooling.

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/X500/x500d04s.jpg[/IMG]

The case is not that big. It's just a little taller than your average mid-tower because it's shorter due to everything in the front being taken away and put up top.

Here are some comparison measurements to my Silverstone TJ-09 to give you an idea.

Width = 1" thicker (TYR PC-X500 ) than TJ09
Depth = 23 1/4" (TJ09) vs <15" (TYR PC-X500)
Height = 20.5" vs 23" - TYR PC-X500 is only 2.5" taller than TJ09

So as you can see this case would be perfect for someone that wants to sit it on top of their desk not only because of the side opening opticals but also because of it's much shorter depth it will take up less desk space. And that doesn't even touch the fact that the aircooling should be great in this case due to having two 120mm intake fans positioned right in front of the motherboard with absolutely no obstruction whatsoever.

Its definitely much taller than almost any "mid-tower" cases, despite what li-li says. Yea the short depth is nice for placing on desk but I have a feeling the opticals will be unconfortably high in that setup.
I Agree about the number of drives (I really dont need more than 2) though, and the cooling definitely looks great. I think would sell decently at $300, but is definitely too expensive right now

Its definitely much taller than almost any "mid-tower" cases, despite what li-li says. Yea the short depth is nice for placing on desk but I have a feeling the opticals will be unconfortably high in that setup.
I Agree about the number of drives (I really dont need more than 2) though, and the cooling definitely looks great. I think would sell decently at $300, but is definitely too expensive right now

Well it's "taller" but the Silverstone TJ-09 is a mid-tower and no giant in height and like i said, the TYR PC-X500 is only 2.5" taller. To me that's next to nothing. And it's taller than most due to the fact there aren't any other mid-towers out there with the hard drives and optical bays above like that that I have seen. To me the much shorter length is huge in comparison to the little higher height. It's like 8" shorter in length than my TJ-09.

Totaly Agree.
I see the same positives. Sure there isnt everything perfect. But I welcome some fresh air in PC case design.

I'm getting either one, I love'em both!
Only thing I would do, if I go with the PC-X500, is put a pair of 140's up front ;)
And on the PC-X2000, make a hinged door where the HDD's are so you don't have to remove the whole side panel.
I don't change out cases often, and I'm well over due for a new one, my trusty ole Antec P160 is gettin' ready to retire!

I love my LL cases but they've certainly jumped up a lot in price premium with their newer cases. Seemed like they used to top out around $220, now they're upwards of $300+. I know the economy is in the toilet and the USD$ rate is pathetic right now, but $300+ for a case...thanks but no thanks.

I love the look of these new cases, but have to agree that the price is a bit much. My only complaint is that with only 2 drive bays, what am I supposed to do with my Audigys front panel? Guess I could just have one DVDRW.

I love my LL cases but they've certainly jumped up a lot in price premium with their newer cases. Seemed like they used to top out around $220, now they're upwards of $300+. I know the economy is in the toilet and the USD$ rate is pathetic right now, but $300+ for a case...thanks but no thanks.

With the increased consumption of aluminum by China and India for car production as construction, global demand is up 7.6% and the cost of aluminum per metric ton is up almost 7%. Meanwhile profit for the metal producing companies is down 7.4% due to increase in materials cost and fuel costs for production. Aluminum is only going to get more expensive at this rate, this can be seen in the standard cost of a 12 pack of soda rising from a $3.00 cost to $4.50 in the same market a year later.

I think I like this more than the Tj9 and even the 10... probably going to use this for my new gaming box

I realize that both side panels are lined with sound-absorbing foam, but for the high price of this interesting case, it should come with a clear window over the motherboard compartment. YMMV.

MikeSp

I will never pay more than 125 dollars a case period. I don't care how cool it is. Hell up until now I've never paid more than 30shipped for one :p. I'd rather spend that extra money on parts :).

I will never pay more than 125 dollars a case period. I don't care how cool it is. Hell up until now I've never paid more than 30shipped for one :p. I'd rather spend that extra money on parts :).

I thought that... until I traded a bunch of stuff for my V2000B PlusII. Now I get it.

I really like the clean front without needing a door to get to the drives. Thats my main complaint about cases with doors no matter how good they look. Downside is I would never get a full tower. If they made a mid/mini with this design I could appreciate it more. Ideally they would use the A05 PSU placement and get rid of "Zone 1" completely. Oh and that price is ridiculous too.

I really like the clean front without needing a door to get to the drives. Thats my main complaint about cases with doors no matter how good they look. Downside is I would never get a full tower. If they made a mid/mini with this design I could appreciate it more. Ideally they would use the A05 PSU placement and get rid of "Zone 1" completely. Oh and that price is ridiculous too.
The PC-X500 is the mid tower, the PC-X2000 is the full tower. It would be interesing to see what a mini would look like though.

Here's a PC-X2000 loaded for bear!

SkullTrail mb Intel X5400XS
2 x Scythe Zipang coupled with 2 x Scythe S-Flex 1900RPM 12cm Fan
2 x Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775
Kingston 2 x 4gb FB DDR2 800MHz
2 x XFX nVidia GeForce 280GTX
4 x 300gb WD Velociraptor

]http://resources.vr-zone.com/booest/ProjectLog/PCx2000/LianLiX2000_SkullTrail_041.jpg[/IMG]

More on this rig, goto -> http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=297943

Note from FLECOM: Do NOT hotlink images, host them yourself

The TJ-09 will probably be my next case.

I was considering the TJ9 but the side intake and the open mesh area for the hdd's kinda turned me off... but it was the best design until I saw this...

I like not to see my componets since I like to add some sound dampering on both panels, and moving the hard drives to the top is great... direct front intake to cool the cpu and gpu area! nothing in the way.

newegg has these in stock today, just ordered one. $369.99 is a bit pricey, but I don't mind shelling out a little extra coin for a case that is going to last me through many future builds. I think the case looks great, and the interior setup is very nice.

But tack on their $24.99 for shipping and it's $395.00. That's pretty insane for a case. Drop in a good powersupply and then you're dropping over $550.00 for a case and a good power supply. You can build a computer for just that! lol ... I do like the look of the case, but DAMN! $395.00 shipped is too high.

Back