New NEC 20WMGX2!!! (Pics inside 56K)

I have the Gateway FPD2185W, and while I am well pleased with it, the dark levels and backlight bother me alot now. I think the backlight has gotten worse over time, as it really bothers me now and it never did before. Anyhow, this NEC is REALLY tempting and I am seriously considering ditching the gateway especially considering the fact that the NEC has a remote control, as I use the gate as my room tv now, and its a HUGE hasle to get up and change the inputs etc, as well as the fact that I had to buy a viewsonic thingy to be able to watch tv on the monitor viea vga (I could have gone via rca from cable box, but when i power off the cable box, it still displays sound n video so it couldnt turn off lol) I am goin to see if I can get the gateway and all accessories sold though and buy the NEC as it suits me just fine :D Problem is, I live in Jamaica and though they charge only tax on computer related stuff (no duty WOOT!!!) because the NEC is going to have the word TV written on it, the asses will treat it as a tv and try to force me to pay duty on it as well, driving my final price north of $1k :( Sometimes its a real technological drag living here

sifulee said:
Wow I really like the black in silver, and if I took mine back and bought it from newegg I would save $85 bucks. Do yall think I should take mine back to Frys?

With Fry's you have ease of return, Newegg has Mfg warranty only on this LCD.

Looks awesome......I wish NEC will import that model to my area one day....and of course..drop the price
Thanks for the amazing pictures again.

if your CC can hold it, buy two. Get the one from frys so you have instant gratification with one and best price. Keep the best of the two and return the one you dont want to frys in the frys box.

strikeout said:
if your CC can hold it, buy two. Get the one from frys so you have instant gratification with one and best price. Keep the best of the two and return the one you dont want to frys in the frys box.

Um if you buy an all silver monitor from fry's, i doubt they'll accept a return on a black and silver one unless the person working at the CS counter does it accidentally.

I picked one of these up on saturday and I have to say the image quality and response time are pretty amazing (as long as the glare doesn't bother you). I thought it was perfect since the stuck green pixel it had originally went away. But then I realized that it had just completely died when it went away. So rather than have a dead pixel in the center of the screen I went to exchange it. They were out of them, but I will for sure buy this monitor again in hopes of getting a good one.

This is a really new monitor which is hard to find right? I can't get it locally at all and I will not buy it online unless there's a zero dead pixel policy.

BTW is the viewing area comparable to the FW900?

Thanks for all your comments guys. Some of you wanted to see the XBOX 360 running on this monitor ... Well here you go! (Movies are running on the 360)

*Update* Links are broken, sorry guys! :(

That looks phenomenal, but i wish there was a 1920x1200 counterpart thats a little cheaper.

First Comment -Nice
Second Comment- I HATE YOU :cool:
Did you connect the xbox 360 to monitor with a vga cable. I think I may just get one if I can find it ( wont get it at newegg while they have a lousy pixel policy. :) Now all I have to do is figure out how may beer & soda cans I have to take back to get it ($1=20 nickels) average price is $750(not including tax) so I have to take back 15,000 cans to pay for it. Better get started drinking this 6-pack I got now , and to think I thought being an alcoholic wouldnt have any good points

No, I used the component cables that came with teh xbox 360. I ran it at 720p and 1080i. Both resolutions looked good but teh 1080i had a sharper image. Overall I'm very happy with this monitor and if any of you are on the fence about it, just pull the trigger. I believe it's well worth the money. You really do get what you pay for.

Remember, these images do this monitor NO justice!

strikeout said:
bah didnt think about that. Newegg dont got the all silver one?

You can always say that you got the wrong color and thought that it wouldn't bother in the beginnig. And return during high traffic times ie friday afternoons.

Looks excellent, think this'll be the monitor i'll get...just the usual place i buy from just ran out of stock :p and it has component connection too?

Hi all. Great discussion.

My dilemma:

I was originally going to buy the Dell 2405 until I got scared off by the reports of input lag. Then I was leaning towards the HP 2335, except that's ancient technology (2 years old?) and the day I buy it is no doubt the day they announce a new version.

This NEC looks like a great alternative, but I'm wondering how much you give up by going from 1920x1200 to 1680x1050. I can live with having less screen size but I was looking forward to enjoying that high resolution on the new machine I just ordered (AMD 4800, 2 X 7900 GT 256). I'll use this system entirely for gaming (Oblivion, HL2, Far Cry).

Would the difference in resolution be that noticeable? And does anyone know how the HP compares in terms of picture quality?

Doesn't matter really b/c this monitor is HARD to find atm. If I was going to spend 700 on a monitor it would be this one despite it's smaller size. 1600:1 is hard to beat and those images look CLEAN. Too bad I won't see one in my town(Roanoke, Va) maybe ever.

I hope this wasn't asked or answered already but do those speakers come off? Also can the monitor be mounted on an ARM?

they come off which is another kudo to NEC for recognizing the waste of space such speakers are at this level. aka if you spend that much on a monitor u should have a decent stereo or headphones.

I think I saw that model at Fry's where I live today. The pictures you posted made me stop and take a serious look at this monitor. I pointed out the 1600:1 to the sales rep that was checking it out with me, he was like.."wow".

I was actually there to pick up the Samsung 215t, but I'm reconsidering now.

Any comments on the the other features of the monitor?

Ooo, this looks like a nice monitor.. and it has HDCP too?

Ok.. the last straw for me... how's the input lag on it from XBox 360? Every other monitor out there that is like this has input lag.. Is it possible that the NEC DOESN'T have input lag?? If so, they get my money.

So this monitor can be used as a TV to without any other equipment? Newegg says it doesnt have a TV tuner, but im seeing and read somewhere in this thread it does indeed have a TV tuner.. Can someone straight this out for me?

Lord Twilight said:
Ooo, this looks like a nice monitor.. and it has HDCP too?

Ok.. the last straw for me... how's the input lag on it from XBox 360? Every other monitor out there that is like this has input lag.. Is it possible that the NEC DOESN'T have input lag?? If so, they get my money.

This lcd has no lag at all. And Yes this monitor has a built in tv turner.

This monitor looks awesome but is too much for me..i'm going for the 2025..I figure in a year or so the prices will drop a lot and i'll get a new one.

sifulee said:
This lcd has no lag at all. And Yes this monitor has a built in tv turner.

which is perhaps why it's a little thicker than your average lcd.. those pics do look hot, very sharp very clean IQ, I want one, but I really do hate monitors with reflective screen surfaces, I guess it wouldn't matter much if I game in a dark room most of the time though :)

I got my acer 20" glossy screen and its beautiful.

Its whites are whiter than my bro's xbrite
Has black blacks
No dead pixels
No bleeding

Gorgeous

Darn..! I just placed an order (20WMGX2-BK) with Buy.com... I bought the black and silver version with $50 Rebate and $15 Coupon ;) Wish me luck... going from a 19" Sony Trinitron to this... I hope I don't get dissapointed... I have checked every review on Earth and this seems to be the monitor I need for gaming... plus it has TV on it so you have TV+PC Monitor in one... can't beat that.... :D

Hey I just recently bought and returned A Samsung Syncmaster 204b... I am a graphic artist and my 21 Viewsonic CRT broke on me and that was my first venture into a LCD...

It sucked so hard, bad color banding with the color shifting in Photoshop from top to bottom and horrible viewing angles. I have been reading posts about this NEC 20WMGX2. How do you think this will compare to my CRT in terms of viewing angles and color accuracy.

Do any of you guys use this monitor for graphic design and such that can offer some feedback?

Thanks!
-Dave

Hey guys. Just wanted to give you a little update. I ordered the black version from newegg and it got is in 3 days!!! NO DEAD PIXELS!!!
:D:D:D I hope you like the pics. I took the white one back to Frys shortly after getting the black one and taking a few pics. Enjoy!

Guys please rest assure that this lcd has the BEST viewing angles/colors I've ever seen on a lcd. Please keep in mind that this images do this monitor no justice at all, especially the angle shots, I'm a lously photographer!

*Update* Links are broken, sorry guys! :(

Those are the cleanest and most vibrant pics Ive seen from an LCD. Too bad its only 20" and not 21", the native res is too hard on my eyes.

I have to admit this looks like a nice monitor. Two things would keep me away from it though. One is the price (and that says much since i own both the 23 apple and the sony 23 premierPro) The second is the size. I wish this thing was bigger at the very lwast 24 inches i have a dell 2405 and i love this size.

But seriously though this looks very tempting. and congrats to all of you who bought one because it looks like you did your research.

Keep the pics coming....

Back