New NEC 20WMGX2!!! (Pics inside 56K)

xXxDieselxXx said:
Darn..! I just placed an order (20WMGX2-BK) with Buy.com... I bought the black and silver version with $50 Rebate and $15 Coupon ;) Wish me luck... going from a 19" Sony Trinitron to this... I hope I don't get dissapointed... I have checked every review on Earth and this seems to be the monitor I need for gaming... plus it has TV on it so you have TV+PC Monitor in one... can't beat that.... :D

Coupon?

Forget it, based on just this one remark from this guy maxson at PriceGrabber I won't buy one.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/pur_discussions.php/product_id=16752678/id_type=masterid/pur_id=313904

What happens if I get one too with a crappy background I don't want to hear NEC tell me they don't warranty a uniform screen.

In my BOOK that's BS for charging a pretty penny for this display. These companies need to realise, that consumers won't stand for it!

ALOHA

P.S. I could be jumping the gun here, BUT sifulee PLEASE call NEC and tell us what they say about this, I'm sure before we all jump on the NEC bandwagon on this, we'd like to know if this is true?

actually if you buy it through a good company like amazon that has a 30 day return no questions asked policy you should be good to go. My sony premierpro 23 came from them and its almost a year old and it works excellent with no dead pixels or light leakage. Trust me sony company sucks big time thats why i bought it from amazon.

All you guys have to do is buy them from a really good company.

noesis said:
actually if you buy it through a good company like amazon that has a 30 day return no questions asked policy you should be good to go. My sony premierpro 23 came from them and its almost a year old and it works excellent with no dead pixels or light leakage. Trust me sony company sucks big time thats why i bought it from amazon.

All you guys have to do is buy them from a really good company.

So you like the Sony, and you're just saying buy from somewhere other then through Sony?

If so I'd buy it from NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824006084

THANKS

Forget it, based on just this one remark from this guy maxson at PriceGrabber I won't buy one.

So based on one person's negative experience, you won't buy a product? Hell, if I went that route I don't think I'd have enough parts to build a computer.

- D.

DasFox said:
So you like the Sony, and you're just saying buy from somewhere other then through Sony?

If so I'd buy it from NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824006084

THANKS

basically yes. I bought several sony 19 inch lcds from sonystyle and one of them i had to return and believe you me that sony bitched about it. And im talking about bitching where customer service personal had to call in their supervisor to ok the return. Online they wouldnt even do it and i had to drive to two sonystlye stores here in california to finally return one monitor. After this experience i told myself i would never purchase from a store without a liberal return policy.

Just got mine from Amazon. Shipping only took 3 days.

No dead pixels. No backlight leakage. The picture is uniform. And coming from a 19-inch CRT, it seems big. I was worried about the reflective screen because my office is a bit bright during the day, but it's fine--certainly better than my CRT was. Worth every penny.

So awesome! Feels like, them games on the monitor are on MY monitor as if I was actually playing them myself. Beautiful bro!

datamage said:
So based on one person's negative experience, you won't buy a product? Hell, if I went that route I don't think I'd have enough parts to build a computer.

- D.

Did you not see the ---------> P.S.

I mean lets face it, fi NEC says it then that's it regardless. Since he has a NEC let's get him to call them and ask, or someone for that matter.

just placed my order at amazon for the BK. $40 cheaper and still with a silver bezel, although the overall monitor casing and speaker bar is black. not sure why it's cheaper..

this will be the fourth lcd i've bought in the last couple months. the other three i've returned because they just were not satisfactory, but i have a good feeling about this one. the other three i've bought were the samsung 244T, the samsung 204B, and the LG L203WT.

sniggle said:
just placed my order at amazon for the BK. $40 cheaper and still with a silver bezel, although the overall monitor casing and speaker bar is black. not sure why it's cheaper..

this will be the fourth lcd i've bought in the last couple months. the other three i've returned because they just were not satisfactory, but i have a good feeling about this one. the other three i've bought were the samsung 244T, the samsung 204B, and the LG L203WT.

awesome, report back your impressions sincr this one has been bumped to the top of my list.

I told me bro about this monitor after I saw your pix and he was like whatever. Then a few days later he went to fry's and he was like OMG and then he called me and was like man I just lost $800 right there. Needless to say he bought it and it is pretty sweet.

BTW he told me the panel itself is not 1600:1, more like 700:1 but with the gloss coating NEC rates it at 1600:1. Its an LG Panel. There are also Sony and LG variants of this monitor.

JohnleMVP said:
I told me bro about this monitor after I saw your pix and he was like whatever. Then a few days later he went to fry's and he was like OMG and then he called me and was like man I just lost $800 right there. Needless to say he bought it and it is pretty sweet.

BTW he told me the panel itself is not 1600:1, more like 700:1 but with the gloss coating NEC rates it at 1600:1. Its an LG Panel. There are also Sony and LG variants of this monitor.

I really hope your wrong about it being an lg screen because lg produces crappy screens. In fact i returned several dell monitors because they were lg screens and kept on returning until i got the samsung variant on the dell.

I ordered mine last Thursday from Buy.com

I'm so freaking excited.. I have this feeling this monitor rocks.. I have been wanting to move from CRT to LCD but nothing has been able to convince me until I saw this thread and all other reviews.. I'm coming from a CRT Sony E440 Trinitron 19" darn nice monitor.

I'll let you guys know what I think of the NEC. I'm very very picky with displays and this will be my first LCD.

Also guys keep in mind this mointor also has a TV tunner so you basically buy 2 in one...

Can someone post some pics of the TV function working? Also I believe you can do computer work and have the TV on PIP can someone please post some screenies?

Thanks

xXxDieselxXx said:
I ordered mine last Thursday from Buy.com

I'm so freaking excited.. I have this feeling this monitor rocks.. I have been wanting to move from CRT to LCD but nothing has been able to convince me until I saw this thread and all other reviews.. I'm coming from a CRT Sony E440 Trinitron 19" darn nice monitor.

I'll let you guys know what I think of the NEC. I'm very very picky with displays and this will be my first LCD.

Also guys keep in mind this mointor also has a TV tunner so you basically buy 2 in one...

Can someone post some pics of the TV function working? Also I believe you can do computer work and have the TV on PIP can someone please post some screenies?

Thanks
Hey i own one of those trinitrons by sony in fact the same model. What are you going to do with yours? Mine is just in the closet on top of some boxes. Damn thing is heavy and no one wants to give me money for it (considering how much i paid) so i might just give it to a friend for free.

noesis said:
Hey i own one of those trinitrons by sony in fact the same model. What are you going to do with yours? Mine is just in the closet on top of some boxes. Damn thing is heavy and no one wants to give me money for it (considering how much i paid) so i might just give it to a friend for free.

Heheh I'm in the same boat you are. For now I will keep the old Sony in the closet until I'm sure the new LCD is a go. I like the Sony so much that I really feel some regret I want to get rid of it. I just want and need more room on my desk and also want to jump on the wide screen wagon. Also I needed a TV in my office so this is a great deal for me.

I wish I could make some money out of the Sony but it's too darn heavy for someone to buy it. I will probably donate it to some school and get some tax deduction next year ;)

noesis said:
I really hope your wrong about it being an lg screen because lg produces crappy screens. In fact i returned several dell monitors because they were lg screens and kept on returning until i got the samsung variant on the dell.

Hmm this doesn't sound good.....

So what panel is it?

noesis said:
That's really odd. The LG Philips S-IPS panels are consistently ranked as slightly better than the VA panels from Samsung, especially in the colour reproduction department. It may have slightly slower response time though. I don't think it is "crappy" by any means.

The new 2007WFP may have some banding issues though, even if it is the S-IPS panel. :(

I dont really know about lg screen proper but i do know that the lg screen dell uses in the laptops and monitors are pretty lousy. I bought several 2005fpws and the new inspiron e1705 and ended up returning the laptop becuase the light leakage was horrible. In fact when placed next to my ibm t43p in a dark room that damn dell was very bright. Same with my monitors. Luckly i did some research online and was able to replace my monitors with the right samsung version. Dell is good for this they stand by their prouducts and i never had a problem returing things.

Could someone be kind enough to post some screenies of the TV function?

I would love to see how it works as TV and also the PIP option... if not I guess I will be the first one posting this next week when my LCD arrives :D

Yea, I bought the NEC 20WMGX2! I'll be posting pics sometime this week. I'll have the Xbox360 hooked up to the component connection which should be an awesome experience with this monitor. This is the monitor I should've bought from the beginning. I've owned the Gateway 2185, Dell 2005fpw(currently) and soon I will have the NEC. The NEC 20WMGX2 is everything I wanted in a monitor and I can't wait to try it out.

Images of TV function as requested... If you need anymore, let me know.

Nec001.jpg

Nec002.jpg

Nec003.jpg

Nec004.jpg

Nec005.jpg

Nec006.jpg

Nec007.jpg

Nec008.jpg

By the way, this is the 2nd lcd I tried after Gateway FPD2185W and this beats it by a whole lot. Playing Doom 3 on this monitor was kickass... now onto Oblivion.

Wow..! it does looks great..! Thanks so much... I am now even more eager to get this monitor.

One stupid question... I am guessing you can watch TV wihout turning the PC On correct? :p

I have a different 20" monitor that doesnt have an integrated tv tuner but I have a seperate tuner called wintvusb2. Its usb obviously lol. Is there a way I can get to watch tv with a firefox window open so that i can surf the net with tv fullscreen in the background? What software should I get?

Thanks. I have this http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_usb2.html

That is correct. You can use any of the modes (e.g TV, Component input, etc) without the computer being on. Just use the remote to switch between the modes.

Anyone who is second guessing this monitor, needs to no more. This monitor is definitely the best 20" wide lcd available right now.Having said that, the price is a little pricey especially the multimedia version of the monitor (20WMGX2).

The NEC is a very nice monitor, but it costs over $900 Canadian.

Could someone please confirm if it is the LM201W01 panel? thanks

kleox64 said:
imagine a 23" version with 1920x1200 resolution.

Actually im hoping for one. I would love a larger version of this. It would probably get me to buy it for myself. Other than the size this thing is sweet. If the pics look this nice, imagine how beautiful it is in real life.

kleox64 said:
the NEC is 100% LG Philips, no one else makes AS-IPS screens.

Well are AS-IPS panels what you want for gaming, and how are these LG panels?

What makes these NEC LCDs so expensive?

THANKS

DasFox said:
Well are AS-IPS panels what you want for gaming, and how are these LG panels?

What makes these NEC LCDs so expensive?

THANKS

built in tv tuner,1600:1 contrast, 6ms response time, glossy coating

so your looking around $350 premium over the competetion that is usually around 8-12ms,800-1000:1 contrast,no tv tuner, may or may not have glossy coating.

Well personally this glossy coating thing I would think sucks, your going to get reflections in it. I'm only using the LCD for gaming, which I do mostly at night, but sometimes in the day I want to game, I mean who doesn't. And in the day time, currents closed there is no such thing as pitch black in my house, so I would see this glossy as a MAJOR drawback, for me at least, that would drive me nutts.

is this AS-IPS panel the best for gaming? Somone said the LG panels right now are junk....

ALOHA

WickedWeasel said:
Is there any Banding, like with the 2007WFP?

Test with a screenshot of gradients.

The Dell 2007 has known banding issues, so I'd stay away from them for now, or I'd call them and see if they can tell you anything, but then again I've never known Dell tech to be of any help, LOL

ALOHA

Back