New Westinghouse 22" (LCM-@@W2)??

I couldn't help myself: I just drove over to the BB about 10m from my house.

I drove the hell back home when I saw the line going down the street. And I don't mean a few car-lengths here...I mean it went all the way down the fucking block from the store.

There's crazy, folks, and then there's "oh hell no."

I showed up 30 minutes before the store opened, waited in my car until it opened. my friend works at best buy and told me exactly where they put them (he was working this morning) and I followed the crowd in and noone said anything to me. a lot of people cut in line, i grabbed my monitor and ran the hell out of there. review to come

I got in line at Best Buy around 2:15ish (Springfield, OR store) and was able to grab one and duck out before the check out lines lines got nasty. Looked back at the building and the line had snaked all the way around the store. I was laughing all the way home.

My first experience black Friday shopping... and came away with a positive outlook. And a Decent monitor!!!

OK..... I went at 10:00PM and guess what, i was around number 250.....
by 3AM, there were about a 1000 people. At 5AM, about 1500-1800 people. I KID YOU NOT!!!!
I got two 22" monitors. So I was a happy camper.

I also got a ticket for 32" westinghouse LCD tv, but i'm still thinking about it. you think it's a good deal? its for the W4. $479... good deal? should I go back and get it?

I got to best buy at 2:17 on the button and there was about 150 people lined up (Holyoke, MA) and by 4:15 the line went all the way down to target and behind probably to around 800-1000 people. My toes froze over around that time as well. The doors opened at 4:59 according to my phone and I was in my car and looking at the time at 5:23 with my new monitor.
I came out with the westy 22 (looked small instore and made me doubt the purchase, but HUGE when I got it in the house and hooked up to my 360) R6 : Las Vegas (360, sweet game so far), The Outfit (360, only 10 bucks so why not) but couldn't find Ampd 3 so was a little bummed out. I do notice a bit of backlight bleeding but it doesn't bother me at all. No dead pixels though.
On a side note, I went to circuit city to get a few dvds and waited in line to check out for literally 2 hours (the lines moved 3-4 people every 20 minutes). I found out it was because some items didn't ring up as the advertised price in the papers so your only choice was to go to the service desk line (another hour+ wait) to get it price matched. Im never going to go to circuit city to on black friday again. I must say Best Buy handled it quite well.

at 199 i could not resist. I drove to best buy last night at 11pm to gauge the line and.....there were 105 people in line. So i said, "fak this" and drove home and went to sleep. Got up at 6.30 AM, decided to go back just for the hell of it (its basically a 5 minute car ride down the street). Got there, and the westys were all sold out of course. Then 5 minutes later, they wheeled in ABOUT 30 more westys and stacked them in the middle of the floor. Guys, if you still want one GO TO BEST BUY. They will be restocking these as much as they can (or as much as they can get trucked in) over he weekend. Keep checking.

Well, I got one too. It seems pretty good so far except for a lot of backlight bleed from along most of the top of the screen. None on sides or bottom. It seems to have a clearer picture than the 20" WS Benq I'd been using before, and not just because it's got larger pixels. I'm using DVI.

pchs said:
I have read many folks talking about camping out or arriving early at Best Buy for the 22” Westinghouse widescreen. Why not just purchase it today or tomorrow and then go back, Friday or Saturday, to have the price adjusted. You can skip the hectic shopping crowd. Use a credit card and simply have the price adjustment made as a credit back to your account. Several reps at Best Buy have told me it can be done. I have the monitor, as of today, and intend to do this very thing in a few days. :confused:

I want to give follow up info on my plan to buy a few days ahead of Black Friday. I made my purchase of the 22” Westinghouse on Tuesday, November 21, for the $499 listed price. (Used a credit card) I walked in Best Buy this morning, November 24, at around 9:00am CDT and took my receipt to the customer service counter. The girl there adjusted my purchase to the sale price of $199. So, the plan worked like a charm. I must say though I am one of the fortunate ones. If you look closely at the fine print of the BB ad for today’s sale you will find it says “Best Buy’s price match policy does not apply to items in this ad and is not valid on prior purchases”. Guess I got lucky with the person at the customer service desk! I may post my impressions of this monitor later………if anyone is interested. :D

just like other folks, i had to stop by BB. got there around 4pm yesterday and was still 25th in line...well, i guess it was worth the wait. picked up a 42" panasonic plasma, the $380 lappy, and i even scored with the 22" westy ;)
anyways, i'm beat and smell of old people (man there were alot of them in line) so i'll try and post a comparison between my current Viewsonic v2012wb (same size and res as the 2025vx, just slower response time i think) and this new Westinghouse.
main things i'll be looking at:
color quality in multiple pictures
ghosting (only game on this pc right now is CS 1.6)
and i'll even hook up my ps2 for kicks and see how that goes
hope my review will help.

oh and btw for you people who say it wasn't worth the wait, i saved about 1000 bucks and spent about 1600, nearly 40% ;)

got this last night. seems like a lot of back light bleedin on mine. i'll try to get some pics up later.

Color me surprised: I went over to the nearby BB about an hour ago, I have no idea why the hell I did, and they actually had two of these just sitting in the middle of an empty patch of floor. If I'd been about five seconds faster, I'd probably be selling the other one right now--but I got one, and that's okay. Random comments, go:

- very bright screen
- it's definitely as light as everybody says it is (it doesn't feel outright flimsy or fragile, though--just light)
- a snap-on pedestal base...they had to cut a corner somewhere, but damn...
- this particular monitor doesn't appear to have any backlight bleed, but I'm not sure exactly how the heck you test for that
- the DVI connector is just to the right of the monitor pedestal and slightly recessed, so it can be a little hard to get to

EDIT: okay, there's some modest but not extreme bleed at the top and bottom of the screen. It's oddly uniform, though, not centered in a particular spot.

No backlight bleed on mine. After about 6 hours of playing around with this monitor, here are my impressions.

As a monitor, this thing is pretty nice. Even nicer when you factor in price. Text is nice and clear, sucker can get real bright. Color seems a bit on the cool side, even after monkeying around with the RGB....not as deep as my gateway 21" ws, thats for sure. Things seem a little 'washed out' when compared to the gateway...but I think that's more due to the sheer awesomeness of the gateway panel as opposed to any sort of flaw with the westy. Hooked it up to my comcast hd box and......ugh. It looks like complete dogshit. But that's okay. Its a monitor. wondered how it would handle video, so I watched a few fansubbed anime episodes of Deathnote, Eureka7, Code Geass, and Zegapain. All of which look insanely awesome on the gateway, not so much on the westinghouse. Video was more colorful and smoother on the Gateway. Didnt try gaming, don't have any games installed.

I think for 199 this is a tremendous value. Although I'm not sure if I will be keeping it or not. I dont really need it, and the only reason I got it was because it was such a deal. And coming from the 21" gateway, it simply doesnt stack up, so maybe that's why im feeling disappointment with this even though at this price, I should not be.

I just purchased this monitor today on Black Friday - I'm having some issues color/brightness wise. I have read a few posts about settings that people thought worked, but I feel they made it a lot worse. Has anyone found good settings for the westinghouse 22"?

100_0694.jpg

it's on the sides a lil bit too i think.

So I got to Best Buy at about 3am and I was like already 300 people deep. But figured since I didn't have anything else to do, might as well get this. I had wanted the 19" samsung before I wanted this 22" one, but the 19" was all sold out and figured might as well get this one while they still have them in stock.

And before I say anything about this display, the one I had before this is a 15" CRT that's older than most middle school kids lol.

So I hooked it up and I must say it looks VERY nice. I'm not very technical when it comes to this stuff, so maybe someone can explain backlight bleeding and things like that. But so far I only have 1 dead pixel in the upper left hand corner that isn't really in the way of anything. Hopefully I don't get anymore.

What resolution is the proper one to use for this screen? Currently I'm on 1280x720. I dunno what it means for a 4:3 ratio or whatever so I dunno what the proper settings are for this screen. Anyone care to help me out? :)

Copy paste from post I made on another forum.

I wanted to get the Westinghouse 22" LCD that's on sale at BB today. But I was too tired when I woke up at 3AM and said "fuck that" to the huge line there would be at BB. I went back to sleep and woke back up to go to work. My GF went to the mall at 8AM to shop for her stuff. She called me and told me she managed to find an LCD for me. She complained that it was heavy and had to carry it around w/ her. I came by to pick her up like 1hr later.
Me > people waited in the cold.
It's now next to my 23" Cinema and hooked up to the X360.

While she waited in line, some guys were asking her about the LCD.
"Are you going to buy that?"
"Where'd you get that?"
"Do you want me to hold that for you?"
Some fag actually tried to trick her and said "Yknow that's not the one that's on sale. You got the wrong size. Let me put it back for you."
What a bunch of losers.

I'm using the VGA cable for the Xbox360. I set the Xbox at 1920x1080. :eek:

Not sure if I got screwed by Best Buy...

I was able to order one of the westinghouse 22" monitors for $199 on Thursday at bestbuy.com. Shortly afterwards, it was sold out of their website. I received an email confirmation regarding my order and that my order is "in progress" and will ship in 0-1 days. Today, I received an email letting me know that my order is "in progress" but is currently on backorder. Here is the email:

Dear $#$#$#:

The item listed below is not yet available to be shipped. We expect to ship it within the next 1-2 weeks. We will ship the item earlier if it becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience. If you would like to cancel this item from your order or have questions, call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289). For faster service, tell us the order number when you contact us.

If we do not hear from you before we ship the item, we will assume that you have agreed to this shipment delay.

Thank You.
Best Buy Customer Care​

This also happened to a friend of mine who order the Samsung 931BW for $129.

Should I wait or cancel my order?

Shorty said:
I was able to take a few pics. Word of warning, my camera is on its last leg, and it was never any good under low-light conditions. It's really overcast in the Los Angeles area right now, and I've got to go out and replace a lightbulb on my desk lamp. Here are the pics, I'll get around to getting new ones eventually. Click on the thumbnails to see a larger picture.

Don't know if someone already asked this, but where'd you get the background?

supavillain said:
should i not be able to play ps2 games in widescreen? when i turn it on, the picture is squished.

Even with your ps2 set to output to ws, it wont be in WS unless the game supports it.

PScherer79 said:
Not sure if I got screwed by Best Buy...

I was able to order one of the westinghouse 22" monitors for $199 on Thursday at bestbuy.com. Shortly afterwards, it was sold out of their website. I received an email confirmation regarding my order and that my order is "in progress" and will ship in 0-1 days. Today, I received an email letting me know that my order is "in progress" but is currently on backorder. Here is the email:

Dear $#$#$#:

The item listed below is not yet available to be shipped. We expect to ship it within the next 1-2 weeks. We will ship the item earlier if it becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience. If you would like to cancel this item from your order or have questions, call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289). For faster service, tell us the order number when you contact us.

If we do not hear from you before we ship the item, we will assume that you have agreed to this shipment delay.

Thank You.
Best Buy Customer Care​

This also happened to a friend of mine who order the Samsung 931BW for $129.

Should I wait or cancel my order?

I received the same email this morning. I don't think I will be able to find one at my local bestbuy now, so I'm just gonna hope they will ship it out in 1-2 weeks as they say.

Nitpick: this monitor has the single dumbest power indicator design I've ever seen. A faint green light directly underneath the Westinghouse logo on the front, which gets drowned out by the light from the screen itself...wow.

Romial said:
So I got to Best Buy at about 3am and I was like already 300 people deep. But figured since I didn't have anything else to do, might as well get this. I had wanted the 19" samsung before I wanted this 22" one, but the 19" was all sold out and figured might as well get this one while they still have them in stock.

And before I say anything about this display, the one I had before this is a 15" CRT that's older than most middle school kids lol.

So I hooked it up and I must say it looks VERY nice. I'm not very technical when it comes to this stuff, so maybe someone can explain backlight bleeding and things like that. But so far I only have 1 dead pixel in the upper left hand corner that isn't really in the way of anything. Hopefully I don't get anymore.

What resolution is the proper one to use for this screen? Currently I'm on 1280x720. I dunno what it means for a 4:3 ratio or whatever so I dunno what the proper settings are for this screen. Anyone care to help me out? :)

Anyone able to answer these questions for me please? :)

I was able to pick this up at BestBuy this morning. I stood in line since midnight, worrying that I wouldn't get it because there were around 80 people in front of me. When the door opened, I rushed in to get this, and thought I picked up the last one. An hour later, I noticed that there were around 20 more in stock just on top of the shelf...They lasted for at least 2 hours, and I kinda regretted standing in line for 6 hours :(

Anyways, I already have two Dell 2005FPW's, but I couldn't pass this deal up. I'm home now and hooked it up and have some thoughts. First, no dead pixels and slight backlight bleeding but I can overlook it. The problem I see is that the color looks very faded. I tried different settings, but it is still not close to the vividness of the Dell. The colors on the Dell are much stronger but the Westinghouse looks lighter for all colors. I'm not sure if mine's defective or if they're all like that, but it is bothering me a bit.

The other problem is that the stand only moves forward/backward. No up/down, left/right, angle, etc. For the price, though, I can understand that not every function will be available. The faded color is the only thing that really bothers me.

I don't have my camera right now, but I'll try to take pictures of both tomorrow.

xxkrnxstylezxx said:
It's supposed to be on 1680x1050 because that's the native resolution. It'll be the clearest.

The text looks so small now that I changed it over. But that'st the way it's supposed to look, right? I'm used to 800x600 on my 15" monitor and that used to be big. Even though I must admit it looks nice when I play a movie.

And that dead pixel I said about earlier isn't there anymore now though.

Yeah, everything will look a lot smaller than at 800x600 resolution. But you'll probably get used to it. My 20'' Dell uses 1680x1050, and the text and icons on the Westinghouse look oddly big to me now.

And I've got a question for someone that may know. I'd like to watch TV on the monitor, but I don't have a TV Tuner. But since this monitor has component inputs, do you think it would be possible to hook it up to a VCR, hook up the VCR to cable, and just use the remote for the VCR to watch TV?

I got one today too....
cept in homewood, Illinois you have to be there at 8:30 PM to be 17th in line.
yikes!

Anyways, I dont really know what settings to use either with the RGB or contrast (first lcd here)

I took the advice of another guy and made almost all RGB 100 and then the contrast 0, and I kinda like it.

But thats not how its supposed to be, right? Seems a little backwards even for me, a noob.
I am runnin the VGA, but am ordering the DVI cable tomorrow. I didnt really know about the difference till I looked at ss's. wow.

xxkrnxstylezxx said:
I was able to pick this up at BestBuy this morning. I stood in line since midnight, worrying that I wouldn't get it because there were around 80 people in front of me. When the door opened, I rushed in to get this, and thought I picked up the last one. An hour later, I noticed that there were around 20 more in stock just on top of the shelf...They lasted for at least 2 hours, and I kinda regretted standing in line for 6 hours :(

Anyways, I already have two Dell 2005FPW's, but I couldn't pass this deal up. I'm home now and hooked it up and have some thoughts. First, no dead pixels and slight backlight bleeding but I can overlook it. The problem I see is that the color looks very faded. I tried different settings, but it is still not close to the vividness of the Dell. The colors on the Dell are much stronger but the Westinghouse looks lighter for all colors. I'm not sure if mine's defective or if they're all like that, but it is bothering me a bit.

The other problem is that the stand only moves forward/backward. No up/down, left/right, angle, etc. For the price, though, I can understand that not every function will be available. The faded color is the only thing that really bothers me.

I don't have my camera right now, but I'll try to take pictures of both tomorrow.

Also try turning the brightness down. I had to turn mine down to around 40-50 or so and the colors dont looked so washed. but you are right, the dell and gateway panels have much better color than the westinghouse. Its not just your unit.

got the monitor and all but was a little disapointed to see that it did not include a dvi cable. is it worth the 13 or so bucks to get a dvi cable?

Yeah I'm foggy on the whole VGA/DVI issue also. Not to mention I'm running on a Radeon 9700 Pro also so I dunno if it even has a DVI option?

I replaced a 20" NEC with the 22" Westy this AM. I love the size of the screen, but the overly bright screen was giving me fits. I tried using the contols in the panel to correct it, adjusting the contrast and brightness, but I couldn't for the life of me get it to look the way I want, which is the way my NEC looks. Dark deep, true blacks, definate whites without washing out the text.

To correct the issue, I went into the video card settings, the Nvidia settings that installed with the card and adjusted the settings here in the Color Correction section. Here is what is working for me now, hope this helps someone.

On the Westy itself:
Brightness - 70
Contrast - 70

In the Nvidia Color Corection
Brightness - 98
Contrast - 100
Gamma - 78

I made these changes and saved as a custom color profile fir each user on the computer. It now will auto load this at start up, and everyone is able to see the screen in all it glory.

As for other issues - No dead or stuck pixels, no lines, no edge bleeding. For $200 I am very satisfied. For $400, it would have gone back.

Back