Newegg CS & RMA Depts are SCUM...my horror story with a motherboard

Anyone else have a similar experience with newegg?

• Total voters

royce321

Gawd
first of all sorry if i used the wrong category, but this is about my motherboard so i figured to use this one

anyways this is about a asus maximus v gene i bought off newegg....i figured buying off them since i had a reasonable experience with my recent 2x 4tb seagate external drive purchase....plus some sellers on here were asking for almost retail price along with the fact that the last time i purchased a used board it was partially functional

so i purchased it and within a day or so it arrived at my door via ontrac since i'm in the bay area and had it had packing peanuts to spare!....pretty reasonable for free shipping

alas i had a replacement, was in joy and installed it into a silverstone sugo sg10 case and ended up over tightening a hyper 212 evo cooler as when i tested it for post it would just flash on/off...i've had this problem before with a bad z68 board so i returned it to newegg via a replacement request hoping for the best...they deserve brownie points for shipping it back via ups for nada :)

however i would take those points back after the following occurred

i sent everything back on a wednesday and it arrived on a friday

after waiting nearly a week i received a email from [email protected]

My name is Carl and I am contacting you in regards to the ASUS motherboard that was returned to us under the above referenced RMA number. The RMA was placed on hold by our inspections department due to reported issues with the motherboard.

Normally when an item is received damaged or missing the retail box and/or accessories or if the serial number does not match our records, it voids our return policy and the item becomes ineligible to be accepted by Newegg. When a motherboard or CPU is returned to us a supervised detailed inspection of the item is conducted. Aside from testing the unit to check its functionality, we look to see if the board for signs of installation and end user damage. Signs of installation include bent pins, missing CPU cover or thermal paste.

Our records reflect that when the motherboard was received at our warehouse, an inspection was conducted based on the notes entered in the RMA as to the reason for the return. At that time, the inspection revealed that the motherboard had sustained physical damage to the CPU socket wherein bent pins were detected.

These reported issues makes the item ineligible to be accepted by Newegg and it will be returned to you. Please contact the product manufacturers for further assistance with the item.

At the same time, due to the circumstances regarding this return, Newegg would like to assist you in this matter by authorizing a 10% discount towards a future motherboard purchase. Your account has been fully documented of this offer so when you are ready to use the discount just contact our customer service at 800-390-1119 and we will make sure the discount is properly applied.

so obviously i raged for quite a bit, contacted asus and they wanted $120 for a socket replacement....seriously $120 asus i could buy the damn socket with ball pins for $10.38 off ebay *after reading threads about companies like gigabyte fixing it for free i wish i went with them*

heres my response btw to their email

well thats greatly disappointing....having to waste another $200 on another board *rage*

anyways complaining about the policy won't do me any good sadly :(

i've contacted asus and they won't cover bent pins either so i'm sol....

when will my motherboard and its contents be returned?

now heres the kicker...they held my board hostage for another week *more like a week and a half or so*....the email said it would be returned but there was no specification on when....i talked to newegg's various reps who like many others have a scripted response pattern....you can say whatever and all you'll get is "we'll put in a request with the rma dept"...even if i told them the rma was denied they will still say "i'm sorry but your rma was denied" UGH :mad:

plus on the rma page it will say approved even if your request for a return/replacement is denied...its just their damn system playing games with your mind :(

after getting nowhere the next week i talked to another rep and had to YELL at the guy...obviously it worked since the next day the board was sent out.....i guess volume works lol

they earned points for free shipping back and forth but its immediately taken away when you have zero communication after a short email of which i never got a response carl! if thats even a real rep

as i mentioned earlier they had excellent shipping when i purchase things....but my motherboard was returned with zero peanuts just a bit of cheap paper....plus it was packed upside down without the damn latch closed so everything could've just spilled out causing more of a mess! it just felt like a middle finger from the rma dept :mad:

i dunno where to rate newegg...they're great when it comes to fulfilling orders but absolutely HORRID when it comes to their return policy and handling things in a timely manner

in the end i will label the numerous useless cs reps and rma staff SCUM for this situation

so yea i'm out over $182.74 after a $30 off code for over tightening.......i love the design asus but argh their standard warranty is just garbage.....i might not have had a asus gpu that caught fire but sheesh its a damn cpu socket!

sure its easy to make a bs policy like yours newegg but support your damn customers...thanks for eventually returning my motherboard at least

i'm just frustrated at the moment....thinking i should have a local shop repair the pins...do it myself somehow or just buy the new socket i dunno any thoughts?

i agreed to that google protection thing but i doubt they'd cover physical damage as neither newegg nor asus does

at least my current maximus v gene isn't wreaked....but half of it is broken so yea......:(:(:(

pics of the socket below

cpu.png

cpu2.png

Last edited:
I can understand your frustration, but newegg or asus aren't to blame, have you tried to bend the pins back?

There are plenty of threads about Newegg breaking rmas on motherboards claiming bent pins on H

Your post makes absolutely no sense.
Sorry, but you cant tighten a heatsink to the point it will bend CPU socket pins underneath.
You can however tighten the hex nuts on the Hyper 212+/Evo till they pinch the mobo layers.

And fwiw newegg always says bent pins - theres a gigantic thread here on this issue.

Newegg has always been good with returns, but I've never tried to return a motherboard. I've learned from reading on here that you should always take a picture of the socket before shipping it to anyone, especially Newegg.
I've only returned items that were defective out of the box, and I have had to get a little *loud* with them on occasion, but they have always taken care of it in the past. They even paid the shipping every time so far.

I can understand your frustration, but newegg or asus aren't to blame, have you tried to bend the pins back?

i remember the amd mechanical pencil method but i'm not sure if that'd apply towards the tilted pins that are bent

unless theres another method...its gotta be fixable since its just in the corner

Your post makes absolutely no sense.
Sorry, but you cant tighten a heatsink to the point it will bend CPU socket pins underneath.
You can however tighten the hex nuts on the Hyper 212+/Evo till they pinch the mobo layers.

And fwiw newegg always says bent pins - theres a gigantic thread here on this issue.

well if i pinched the mobo layers i'd guess the power would be faulty then..ugh my fault for not taking pics of the socket before installation :(

Newegg has always been good with returns, but I've never tried to return a motherboard. I've learned from reading on here that you should always take a picture of the socket before shipping it to anyone, especially Newegg.
I've only returned items that were defective out of the box, and I have had to get a little *loud* with them on occasion, but they have always taken care of it in the past. They even paid the shipping every time so far.

yea i'm kicking myself for not taking pics for proof

good thing you've had luck with returns :)

It was better imo when the pins were on the CPU and not the MB. Atleast then you had some guidance from the holes on the socket. If the CPU slipped into place, you knew you were good to go

I haven't had to return any motherboards to newegg. The 4 boards I bought from them in May all work fine. That was the most recent.

Now that you have posted pic, I see they are definitely bent , but once again has nothing to do with Heatsink. So that still brings up the question of who bent them - you accidentally or them deliberately.

You can use 2 (for control) larger sewing machine needles (they come in a pak) with an eye loupe to see, or with someone else holding a 5X + 3" round magnifier.

Now that you have posted pic, I see they are definitely bent , but once again has nothing to do with Heatsink. So that still brings up the question of who bent them - you accidentally or them deliberately.

You can use 2 (for control) larger sewing machine needles (they come in a pak) with an eye loupe to see, or with someone else holding a 5X + 3" round magnifier.

makes me wish i had one of these

20X-Magnifier-Magnifying-LED-Light-Glass-Loupe-font-b-Lens-b-font-Eye-font-b-Jeweler.jpg

i always assumed under enough tension/weight the pins would bend

Nope, the CPU sets in the black plastic socket cradle and the tension on the pins is preset by distance. The only way you could have done it is drop one of the CPU corners at an angle into the pin grid by not being careful when handling.

http://www.telesightmagnifiers.com/catalog/i158.html

And if you are all thumbs, you can buy one of these.
http://www.howardelectronics.com/virtual/HVKITII.html

I now use a kiddie dart with the shaft cut off to the length that the cover clamp will clear it when rotated and spit in the cup, stick to CPU top, lift CPU to socket cradle and after placing and locking I slide dart sideways off.

makes me wish i had one of these

20X-Magnifier-Magnifying-LED-Light-Glass-Loupe-font-b-Lens-b-font-Eye-font-b-Jeweler.jpg

i always assumed under enough tension/weight the pins would bend

I have a pair of those glasses. Bought them in the jewelry district in LA for $20 while I was visiting.
You can get them cheaper on ebay They are about $6 delivered.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a pair of those glasses. Bought them in the jewelry district in LA for $20 while I was visiting.
You can get them cheaper on ebay They are about $6 delivered.

thanks for the link....now the wait for shipping....always fun

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nope, the CPU sets in the black plastic socket cradle and the tension on the pins is preset by distance. The only way you could have done it is drop one of the CPU corners at an angle into the pin grid by not being careful when handling.

http://www.telesightmagnifiers.com/catalog/i158.html

And if you are all thumbs, you can buy one of these.
http://www.howardelectronics.com/virtual/HVKITII.html

I now use a kiddie dart with the shaft cut off to the length that the cover clamp will clear it when rotated and spit in the cup, stick to CPU top, lift CPU to socket cradle and after placing and locking I slide dart sideways off.

hmm guess it was the arm then....i went with the 20x as 8.5/10 just isn't enough :)

i dunno about that suction cup thing....looks like it'd just break the pin right off the socket

The battery operated suction tool is for placing the CPU only under complete control - likewise the suction dart - has nothing to do with straightening pins. Either used to avoid touching the cpu with fingers when installing.

The battery operated suction tool is for placing the CPU only under complete control - likewise the suction dart - has nothing to do with straightening pins. Either used to avoid touching the cpu with fingers when installing.

think some tweezers would work?

I think this whole suction idea is a bit silly. the chip is a square, put it in gently and level. it's not rocket science or brain surgery. I bet I could place 90 of these in and latch them inside and hour with no issues with one hand behind my back without bending a pin. now blindfolded might be a little more difficult but I would take the challenge if I had a spare board...

I, so far, can't figure out what nasty thing has been done by Newegg nor Asus. Did I miss the part where you claim Newegg bent the pins? I'm not trying to be an ass, but your post is difficult to follow. The impression I'm left with is, You screwed up your board, thought it can be blamed on someone else, and your attempt at getting an unscrewed up board at the expense of someone else failed.

You have the responsibility before purchasing a product to go to a manufacturers product page and reading their warranty terms. If you're unhappy about these terms, you only have yourself to blame. Unless the manufacturer refuses to honor a warranty that falls under their own guidelines, you don't have much right complaining. I don't think you ever denied inflicting the damage.

I think by crying wolf you will decrease any chance in the future of having the community stand beside you if the day comes you are truly wronged by a company.

If this is just an example of you being childish and upset that you weren't able to pull the wool over the eyes of Newegg, you suck. Things like this make it difficult for some to find trustworthy reviews and dilutes the meaningful thoughts of others in a pool of bullshit.

On the other hand if your claim is that NEWEGG bent the pins, which I didn't see you state anywhere, then you will need to better protect your investment by taking photos before and after. It's incredibly easy to record the package being opened and inspected.

If you caused the bent pins by placing the cpu in the socket, I wouldn't even attempt to try to repair if I were you... Just take it to someone who knows what they are doing and avoid any further defamation in the future. Let the professional install the heat sink for you as well..

I, so far, can't figure out what nasty thing has been done by Newegg nor Asus. Did I miss the part where you claim Newegg bent the pins? I'm not trying to be an ass, but your post is difficult to follow. The impression I'm left with is, You screwed up your board, thought it can be blamed on someone else, and your attempt at getting an unscrewed up board at the expense of someone else failed.

You have the responsibility before purchasing a product to go to a manufacturers product page and reading their warranty terms. If you're unhappy about these terms, you only have yourself to blame. Unless the manufacturer refuses to honor a warranty that falls under their own guidelines, you don't have much right complaining. I don't think you ever denied inflicting the damage.

I think by crying wolf you will decrease any chance in the future of having the community stand beside you if the day comes you are truly wronged by a company.

If this is just an example of you being childish and upset that you weren't able to pull the wool over the eyes of Newegg, you suck. Things like this make it difficult for some to find trustworthy reviews and dilutes the meaningful thoughts of others in a pool of bullshit.

On the other hand if your claim is that NEWEGG bent the pins, which I didn't see you state anywhere, then you will need to better protect your investment by taking photos before and after. It's incredibly easy to record the package being opened and inspected.

If you caused the bent pins by placing the cpu in the socket, I wouldn't even attempt to try to repair if I were you... Just take it to someone who knows what they are doing and avoid any further defamation in the future. Let the professional install the heat sink for you as well..

yea i admit it wasn't that organized, no ones perfect

anyways if i were to make a proper claim i would've needed to take a picture before installation of my cpu...thats just my shortcoming there :(

i did a normal installation where the cpu dropped onto the socket probably making the impression on the corner as seen in the pics so yea in the end its probably my screwup its true i gotta own up to it if its all my fault

sure its possible it could just be my fault in the end but i had to vent my frustrations :)

however having next to zero communication from newegg fueled the rage i've endured...if i received a simple email response saying sorry you're on your own or something that would've been just fine.....but nope they never responded.....i had to call them repeatedly to get anything done

as for getting professions to handle this the only place that might do it isn't open until monday so yup more waiting....some local place called warrior techs said they'd inspect it for no charge...if its too expensive i'll just do it myself

if i can fix a picopsu i can probably fix some pins lol *sarcasm*

so i took it over to warrior tech and they refused to work on it as they didn't be held liable if they broke off a pin :(

time to google another place ugh

Last edited:
I do feel bad for you..

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/600/416169.jpg[/I

I keep something similar to these around. No, not for pot.

If you think you can manage, just give it a shot. From what I can tell in the photos, not many pins are bent. Just the ones that are.... Really screwed up. I'm not sure how brittle they are. If you're lucky, which you probably aren't, they will be like bamboo and you can get this done easily and quickly with a good pair of tweezers and maybe a cut gift card to help guide the realignment. Don't pluck.. Don't pull, don't tug. Try gently lifting. If you can get the pins that are completely flattened lifted without breaking, you can squeeze the pins straight. TEDIOUS comes to mind.

I don't blame the shop for not working on it.. I don't know why they didn't offer a waiver or something. If you don't have steady hands, find someone that does. A spouse? A relative? A friend? A neurosurgeon..

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably didn't do this to that board. Even if you overtightened, even if you dropped the CPU in the socket.

Did you put the protector back in the socket before shipping the board back? If you didn't, it's possible it's on you.

Here's the facts:
  • You sent a board back in non-working condition
  • The board was received back in worse condition
  • You have no idea if the board will work, even if you bend the pins back.

Cut your losses and buy another board. Newegg screwed you over, so buy from Amazon this time.

Cut your losses and buy another board. Newegg screwed you over, so buy from Amazon this time.

I disagree. Newegg didn't screw him over. Newegg is preventing themselves from getting screwed over.
OP doesn't know if he bent them or not. He admitted that he could have. But yet you still think newegg is to blame on this one?

The merchandise was broken by the end-user. If you drive a brand new car off a car lot and have an accident, you can't take it back to the dealer and expect a full replacement.

i did a normal installation where the cpu dropped onto the socket probably making the impression on the corner as seen in the pics so yea in the end its probably my screwup its true i gotta own up to it if its all my fault

sure its possible it could just be my fault in the end but i had to vent my frustrations :)

Last edited:
I disagree. Newegg didn't screw him over. Newegg is preventing themselves from getting screwed over.
OP doesn't know if he bent them or not. He admitted that he could have. But yet you still think newegg is to blame on this one?

The merchandise was broken by the end-user. If you drive a brand new car off a car lot and have an accident, you can't take it back to the dealer and expect a full replacement.

Can you explain how he bent them?

You didn't quote the part of my post where I said that the things he did would not have done this to the board. The only piece of missing information is whether he put the protector back on the board or not.

Edit: Saw your edit and I already noted that in my post. I still believe that's unlikely to have caused this, as I have dropped a CPU into a socket on more than one occasion. Unless he was stabbing the socket like a tortilla chip going into a bowl of guac, I doubt he did this.

Last edited:

Given NewEggs record regarding LGA motherboard rma... It is very reasonable to assume they broke the op's board. I would in no way give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Yeah, I know newegg's track record. But the OP even admitted that he "probably made the impression" (READ: HE ADMITTED PROBABLY BENDING THE PINS)

jeez....

The OP is being a man and taking personal responsibility. and yet you guys are still blaming newegg?

You can't 100% pin this on newegg (haha pun) and say he got screwed over by newegg when the OP admits he probably bent the pins.

The socket is a bad design, too fragile. The original plastic cover often caused damage, so Intel produced at least 2 more designs, putting the cover further away from the pins. But people were used to the original design (were the cover goes under the clamp) and kept trying to put the newer cover (which goes over the clamp) the old way and thus accidentally damaging pins. The newer type protector (which has some studs underneath that actually cause the damage) should have been designed so that it could never touch the pins. This is one of the reasons Intel recently proposed halting production of socketed CPUs for consumer desktop and instead use soldered CPUs.

I know this doesn’t help you much (short of a class action suit), but it’s one of the reasons we use mostly AMD.

so i actually got a response from my post @ resellerratings and within a few days i was contacted by a representative and went through a short process of re rma'ing the board and got a complete replacement sent out via overnight mail and now everything is working 100%!

i need to rename this thread newegg turned my frown upside down :)

thank you all for your feedback and suggestions it helped out alot

btw those lens goggles turned out to be garbage but meh it was 5 bux lol

Last edited:
hi!
did you solve problem with socket pins?
I want to share this info with you.

I have P8Z68 deluxe(non gen3) and I had similar problem with pins. I put cpu into the socket, do not ask me how, and I damage around 5 pins. If i remeber corectly 2 pins "fly away", 3 pins I was abale to fix with a very small screwdrive. I was trying to flat/put them into wright possition..

Well, I kinda made it. PC - motherboard is working just fine, i hopw it stays this way for a wile.
I would be happy to post pictures but I am afarid, if I take out the cpu, "shit" will happen.
Damaged pins are in location: left lower corner.

Newegg has always sucked in customer service in my experience. And this experience is nowhere near 'new.' I've had to pay return s/h several times when they were in the wrong (such as sending me the wrong product) and never got any kind of compensation.

Back